Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 2671
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:09 pm

Texas governor signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 00c280f5aa

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/01 ... eg-abbott/

Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed an elections overhaul into law Tuesday that adds more voting restrictions in the booming state, after Democrats spent months protesting what they say are efforts to weaken minority turnout and preserve the GOP’s eroding dominance.

Abbott signed the sweeping changes during a ceremony in the East Texas city of Tyler, where the surrounding county went for former President Donald Trump by a more than 2-to-1 margin last year.


What the bill does, is to standardize the voting process across the state, so that no one County can devise voting procedures willy nilly, that are not already allowed across the state. It's easier to audit voting and monitor for voting abuses this way, which insures a standard of fairness all across the state.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12581
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:17 pm

reading the attached article, it is a successful attempt by Republicans to limit the turn-out of people of color, e.g. Democratic voters. Sounds to me quite an undemocratic thing to do. Long live democracy, as long as they vote for me.............
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:19 pm

These bills do not make accommodations for districts where the population is denser, and creates obstacles to vote. It is highly unconstitutional and based mostly on continued lies about "voter fraud".

From the AP article.
Some changes squarely take aim at Harris County in the Houston area, where President Joe Biden carried the county of 1.6 million voters last year by a 13-point margin. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic last year, Harris County elections officials offered 24-hour polling places and drive-thru voting, which are now outlawed under the new law. The county also tried sending mail-in ballot applications to more than 2 million registered voters, but going forward in Texas, any elections officials who tries sending an application to someone who doesn’t request one could face criminal charges.

Partisan poll watchers are now also entitled to more movement, and election judges who obstruct them could also face criminal penalties, which Democrats argue could lead to voter intimidation.

“Black votes were suppressed today. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has intentionally signed away democracy for so many. We are disgusted,” NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a statement.

When these GOP congress members leave office, they will be remembered more for operating on lies and racism than doing anything to actually help their state.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2538
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:38 pm

I think, after the right's massive tantrum following the 2020 vote, we all know what these laws are really about.
 
extender
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:07 pm

This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:15 pm

extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.



Then what is it about? We already know these are laws based on lies, and based on the Georgia laws, that were based on lies. Why is not about poll taxes or racism as well?

Every bit of the lies and outrage over "voter fraud" has no evidence, yet there is a steady stream of media funded stories being sponsored by the usual right wing think tanks, which have a lot in common with the same right wing think tanks that keep pushing anti-CRT propaganda which is based on racism.

Take a look at who got funding for CRT and from where.

https://popular.info/p/the-obscure-foun ... g-critical

Look as the Republicans lean into Anti-CRT based on funded messaging.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000017a ... 6f99470000

The GOP is suffering from Money addiction rather than exercising common sense.
 
extender
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Sorry, don't see it. It is about making voting standard.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:42 pm

extender wrote:
Sorry, don't see it. It is about making voting standard.


Then what is wrong with the voting act that has been proposed by Congress?

And why is this standard, not treating denser counties differently in terms of drop boxes? Why one drop box in a county of 4 million vs one drop box in a county of 500?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:49 pm

extender wrote:
Sorry, don't see it. It is about making voting standard.


By making it easier for Republicans to vote and win races.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas- ... 021-09-07/

The new law restricts mail in voting, 24 hour voting, drop off sites for ballots, limits early voting, and limits who can help disabled and non-English speakers. Every. Single. One. will hurt voters in Democratic majority areas. EVERY one. All because they want "voting integrity" after 2020 and the alleged massive fraud they keep screaming about but have yet to prove.

BTW, just to be clear, the majority of voter fraud was done by MAGA voters trying to cast two or more ballots for their lord and savior. That was like 10 people across the country. Ten out of how many who voted?
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12662
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:51 pm

extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


I don't think it matters what it is about; rather, if it disproportionately impacts protected groups.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 2671
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:21 pm

extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:26 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA



Are you really going to present the propaganda signing instead of what is actually in the bill?
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Topic Author
Posts: 2671
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA



Are you really going to present the propaganda signing instead of what is actually in the bill?


We have to pass the Bill to find out what's in it!!

That has already happened.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:05 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
casinterest wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA



Are you really going to present the propaganda signing instead of what is actually in the bill?


We have to pass the Bill to find out what's in it!!

That has already happened.
'

In this case, people actually read and participated in the Bill. You have to remember when the your quote came out the GOP was all busy ignoring the real world. Much like today.
 
apodino
Posts: 4092
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:15 pm

I initially thought that the law in Congress was unconstitutional, and it may well be. The constitution says that the Electors for president shall be chosen in a manner approved by the state legislature. It also says that members of congress shall be chosen in a manner approved by the state legislature, but then it gives congress the power to change those laws. The issue becomes that the constitution doesnt give congress say over presidential elections, but it does give them some say over congressional ones. I would be very curious to see how the supreme court would untangle that.

That being said, as a Texas resident I fail to see why this law is needed. You already need a voter ID to vote here, and the way my elections have been done is I am not stuck to one polling place as I can go to any polling location in my county to vote, and our voting machines here do leave a paper trail as well. Our elections were already pretty secure here so it seems to me this is a Solution in search of a problem. I do support voter ID laws and more secure elections, but this is way too overboard for my liking.

There are a lot of other issue here in Texas that Abbott really needs to focus more on. His COVID handling has been bad lately, and his handling of the power grid issues has been atrocious. And those are issues that affect everyone. Abbott is lucky the Democrats are having trouble finding someone to run against him, because if the Dems do come up with a good candidate, Abbott is in trouble here and his approval rating is not very high at the moment.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15969
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA


Anyone who believes ‘fair’ means running drop boxes the same way in Nacogdoches County and Tarrant County doesn’t understand what fair means. Or math.

Somervell: 8,900
Nacogdoches: 64,000
Tarrant: 2.1 million
Dallas: 2.6 million
Harris: 4.7 million

The bill nakedly flies in the face of logic and the several lawsuits already filed will be very difficult for the state to defend based just on the math alone. Sure, Somervell County probably has no use for drive-thru voting. That doesn’t mean Harris County should be told they can’t utilize it. Ridiculous.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am

extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


This is about poll taxes and keeping people of color from voting.

There is not another way to judge it.



vikkyvik wrote:
I don't think it matters what it is about; rather, if it disproportionately impacts protected groups.


An important distinction. There would be outrage if this disproportionately effected rural whites.






casinterest wrote:
Are you really going to present the propaganda signing instead of what is actually in the bill?


Yes.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:15 pm

apodino wrote:
That being said, as a Texas resident I fail to see why this law is needed. You already need a voter ID to vote here, and the way my elections have been done is I am not stuck to one polling place as I can go to any polling location in my county to vote, and our voting machines here do leave a paper trail as well. Our elections were already pretty secure here so it seems to me this is a Solution in search of a problem. I do support voter ID laws and more secure elections, but this is way too overboard for my liking.


That's another thing: ALL states require ID to vote.

I do not trust voting machines. We have paper ballots here we can either mail in (postage paid) or drop off at well-marked sites. We in Oregon are registered to vote when we get our ID.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:14 am

extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.



If course it is. The GOP became spastic over the 2020 Election. They KNOW that they have to significantly reduce the vote of Black and Brown Folks in order to regain power. Do you really believe that Republicans are actually concerned about the welfare of these minorities? Really?

It's about power and it's also about money. 2020 scared the hell out of the GOP and there are 400+ state bills to obstruct minority votes.
 
extender
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:40 am

Lately, the ones taking potshots at minorities are liberals. Look at the lady throwing an egg at Larry Elder in LA. Where is the outrage? Crickets. Only because Elder is a conservative. Elections have consequences, and I am glad Biden is in the driver's seat, so everyone that voted for him gets to enjoy his administrations ineptitude. It is about power and money, to both parties. But I have been reading up on minority voting, and minorities do not have bias or a tough time being able to vote.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15969
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am

extender wrote:
Lately, the ones taking potshots at minorities are liberals. Look at the lady throwing an egg at Larry Elder in LA. Where is the outrage? Crickets.


Crickets because what you claim is not what happened. Have you seen the video? Nothing racial happening there, it was a mixed crowd of miscreants that disturbed Elder's entourage. Lots of profanity, none of it racially tinged.

extender wrote:
But I have been reading up on minority voting, and minorities do not have bias or a tough time being able to vote.


Aha? Why not share your source reading material with us?

extender wrote:
Elections have consequences, and I am glad Biden is in the driver's seat, so everyone that voted for him gets to enjoy his administrations ineptitude.


I dunno, this doesn't really sound like a statement from a mindset where the success of the nation is paramount.
 
N867DA
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Republicans wonder why people they don't want voting don't vote for them. Note that all of these garbage "election security" rules are around making voting inconvenient--not more secure. Instead of advocating a national policy framework for identity verification and a technology platform to make voting easier whether in person or remotely, these assemblies make arbitrary rules that have an outsize impact on cities and high-density areas. This is basically a poll tax or backhand method of disenfranchisement.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 pm

extender wrote:
Lately, the ones taking potshots at minorities are liberals. Look at the lady throwing an egg at Larry Elder in LA. Where is the outrage? Crickets. Only because Elder is a conservative. Elections have consequences, and I am glad Biden is in the driver's seat, so everyone that voted for him gets to enjoy his administrations ineptitude. It is about power and money, to both parties. But I have been reading up on minority voting, and minorities do not have bias or a tough time being able to vote.


Because Elder is conservative, not the color of his skin. BIG difference. "Liberals" are outraged over draconian and racist laws being put in place across the country, not politicians and other figures because of the color of their skin.

This is why there is zero outrage from "liberals". Like the time Michael Savage got into a fight with his neighbor at a restaurant and the right tried to spin it as a hate crime and how "liberals" are so violent. This egg throwing at Elder is simply more right wing spin.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:07 am

casinterest wrote:
These bills do not make accommodations for districts where the population is denser, and creates obstacles to vote. It is highly unconstitutional and based mostly on continued lies about "voter fraud".

From the AP article.
Some changes squarely take aim at Harris County in the Houston area, where President Joe Biden carried the county of 1.6 million voters last year by a 13-point margin. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic last year, Harris County elections officials offered 24-hour polling places and drive-thru voting, which are now outlawed under the new law. The county also tried sending mail-in ballot applications to more than 2 million registered voters, but going forward in Texas, any elections officials who tries sending an application to someone who doesn’t request one could face criminal charges.

Partisan poll watchers are now also entitled to more movement, and election judges who obstruct them could also face criminal penalties, which Democrats argue could lead to voter intimidation.

“Black votes were suppressed today. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has intentionally signed away democracy for so many. We are disgusted,” NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a statement.

When these GOP congress members leave office, they will be remembered more for operating on lies and racism than doing anything to actually help their state.

Nothing in the article that you quoted seems racist to me.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:54 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA


A Republican signed it. :lol:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15969
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:07 pm

DL717 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
extender wrote:
This isn't about poll taxes or keeping people of color from voting.


Exactly!!

If anyone will take the time to listen to the remarks made by the Legislators at the Bill Signing, they will see how fair this bill is.
Early Voting across the state. Extended Hours. Paid time off, for both early voting and on election day. Everyone who is in line before the polls close gets to vote. What's not to like !!!

https://youtu.be/iIBto_k7RqA


A Republican signed it. :lol:


Yeah, funny if zero nuance is what works for you. Refer to reply 16 to see how illogical the provisions are.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:01 pm

tomaheath wrote:
casinterest wrote:
These bills do not make accommodations for districts where the population is denser, and creates obstacles to vote. It is highly unconstitutional and based mostly on continued lies about "voter fraud".

From the AP article.
Some changes squarely take aim at Harris County in the Houston area, where President Joe Biden carried the county of 1.6 million voters last year by a 13-point margin. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic last year, Harris County elections officials offered 24-hour polling places and drive-thru voting, which are now outlawed under the new law. The county also tried sending mail-in ballot applications to more than 2 million registered voters, but going forward in Texas, any elections officials who tries sending an application to someone who doesn’t request one could face criminal charges.

Partisan poll watchers are now also entitled to more movement, and election judges who obstruct them could also face criminal penalties, which Democrats argue could lead to voter intimidation.

“Black votes were suppressed today. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has intentionally signed away democracy for so many. We are disgusted,” NAACP President Derrick Johnson said in a statement.

When these GOP congress members leave office, they will be remembered more for operating on lies and racism than doing anything to actually help their state.

Nothing in the article that you quoted seems racist to me.



When you follow the history of US voter suppression and why these new laws were passed, it comes down to a lot of racism. Especially in the south.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23951
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:13 am

I heard a great point made on some talk show:

Did Texas not have any voter ID laws before this law?
 
Ken777
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Texas governor Abbott signs new GOP voting restrictions into law

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:22 am

Federal Judge Robert Pitman just delivered the Texas Politicians responsible for the "cute" path to their Abortion Restriction law with a first class bitch slap for every twit responsible for the unconstitutional law. The USSC Justices that create the "Conservative Court" - especially those put on the Court by Trump - should be feeling some first rate shame but probably won't, because of their casual passing on the Texas law. You can download the 113 pages of the Order from various sited - I got my copy from WaPo's site. It's worth looking into it. Probably like a leading Law Professor giving you a class that you'll never forget. Texas's politicians have been shamed big time and they are in for more in other areas - like the GOP's obsession to obstruct people of color from voting.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B717fan, frmrCapCadet, meecrob and 50 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos