Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Recall of Philips CPAP Dream Machines - Hidden Hazards

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:35 am

A voluntary recall of millions of CPAP breathing machines, used mainly to treat sleep apnea, has many users wondering if they've been inhaling cancer-causing toxins in their sleep.

At least 25 million U.S. adults have sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts throughout the night, preventing them from getting a good night's sleep. A continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP machine, pushes a steady stream of air into a user's nose and mouth, keeping airways open.

But CPAP users now face the choice of using a machine that the company says could actually hurt their health – or going without, which means they won't get a decent night's sleep.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/17/heal ... ecall.html

https://youtu.be/UhzrWk5v57s

https://youtu.be/kFxtA3y1ucQ

Ken777

Re: Recall of Philips CPAP Dream Machines - Hidden Hazards

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:02 am

A bit scary for those using the Philips brand cpaps.

I've been under cpap and auto-paps since the mid-90s and know how bad it can get if the pap device can't be used. I now have battery in continual backup in case the power fails.

For teahouses who have a Philips cvcp and are looking for help I can tell you that the ResMed devices are outstanding. ResMed actually bought a company that makes motors for the medical snd space industries. They are outstanding and also very quiet - fI have to lift the mask to see if it is running.

I would also recommend reading up on auto-paps. These are like claps, but have sensors and a computer installed so it can gently adjust your pressure levels as your needs change during the night. The can also adjust to your needs if you have a few drinks, are taking meds that changes the muscle tone in your neck, etc. As you might guess I use the ResMed AutoSet. Not only does it take very good care of me, but eliminates the need for future sleep tests as I get adjustments throughout each night.

I'm only a patient but will be happy to answer any question I can understand. But first start with rested.com!

WesternDC6B

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:48 pm

My unit is on the recall list, and I filed the serial number at the website. According to my local sleep clinic, Philips is already shipping new machines.

nwadeicer

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:41 pm

This has been ongoing for a while now. Haven't heard anything back from Phillips, insurance ordered me a new ResMed AirSense model that I really like.

nwadeicer

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Ken777 wrote:
A bit scary for those using the Philips brand cpaps.

I've been under cpap and auto-paps since the mid-90s and know how bad it can get if the pap device can't be used. I now have battery in continual backup in case the power fails.

For teahouses who have a Philips cvcp and are looking for help I can tell you that the ResMed devices are outstanding. ResMed actually bought a company that makes motors for the medical snd space industries. They are outstanding and also very quiet - fI have to lift the mask to see if it is running.

I would also recommend reading up on auto-paps. These are like claps, but have sensors and a computer installed so it can gently adjust your pressure levels as your needs change during the night. The can also adjust to your needs if you have a few drinks, are taking meds that changes the muscle tone in your neck, etc. As you might guess I use the ResMed AutoSet. Not only does it take very good care of me, but eliminates the need for future sleep tests as I get adjustments throughout each night.

I'm only a patient but will be happy to answer any question I can understand. But first start with rested.com!

When I first received my ResMed I found by 5-6 AM my machine was blowing like a hurricane, literally blowing the mask off of my face. Spoke with my Dr and he was able to change the setting via the WiFi on the machine. I will not go back to the Phillips model.

Ken777

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:57 pm

nwadeicer wrote:

When I first received my ResMed I found by 5-6 AM my machine was blowing like a hurricane, literally blowing the mask off of my face. Spoke with my Dr and he was able to change the setting via the WiFi on the machine. I will not go back to the Phillips model.

Your doctor probably reset the pressure ceiling. AutoSet technology has the provider enter a "floor" pressure and a "ceiling" pressure. I have mine set at 8 and 16. The 16 is pretty high but that level covers me when I have surgery and need it in Recovery. I also set the 8 as a comfortable level so I can get rid of the Ramp.