Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FGITD

Re: Brian Laundrie is missing

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
There are also many white women who are reported missing who never make the news, either. That article also doesn't differentiate between missing because they ran away,etc., and missing and presumed murdered, like this case.

Exactly. As I said, it's very unfortunate that the media will only focus on photogenic cases. Victims who don't fit that category deserve for their stories to be heard/investigated just as much.

There’s also the matter of them being heavily present on social media. So there’s plenty of video and photos taken along the way that garner interest, as the Internet sleuth types who watched too much true crime can dissect them all.

It’s unfortunate, but most missing persons cases don’t carry the same interest because there isn’t much to go off.

Tugger

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
the media will only focus on photogenic cases.

Bullshit.

Sorry to be harsh but I keep hearing this from people unable to see past their own prejudices and desire to prove something even with a sad case like this. This couple could have been overweight Asian and black-Hispanic, and it would have gotten the same attention. And if people think not, then that is a persons own prejudice that they are feeling.

Yes this nation has a problem, has had a problem for many years and it is ingrained in the culture. But that is not expressly what is happening here.

What made this so weird and attention getting was the moronic then apparently evil nature of the boyfriend. Arriving home silently, without his girlfriend, not saying anything, lawyering up, the mystery of where did the girl go, his girlfriend disappearing after posting regularly together. Then the weird police interactions and other people coming forward with information on the guy acting strangely.

And for those that can't get off the "racism", why don't you think this isn't a "straight" thing? More evidence of prejudice against non-straight/LGBTQ+ couples, since that would never have gotten the attention of a straight biracial couple!

This is news, sadly, because it is a terrible tale of wholesale indifference and vileness on the boyfriends part. And the fact that "new" information is regularly being found, so feeding the 24/7 news industry perfectly.

It is a sad and tragic tale. And what really matter is that families have lost a loved one and someone has died and no one is willing to stand up and tell her story. In particular one that was supposed to.

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:13 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
What exactly is an influencer and how does one become one? Is it self-declared?

It basically means you are unemployed and upload videos that other unemployed people watch.

And if you happen to be attractive and wear bikinis/workout clothes a lot and can dance you can make a lot of money from it.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Yes this nation has a problem, has had a problem for many years and it is ingrained in the culture. But that is not expressly what is happening here.

Sorry but I have attended several symposia on the implicit beauty bias in media (it is useful to organizations trying to reduce hiring bias) and this is a well-studied aspect of violent crime reporting in general. Our media are incentivized to focus on the stories that will sustain attention, and this is an element of that. It doesn't take away from what happened in this case at all, but if people are denying that this is an aspect of our media landscape, perhaps that is confirming *their* biases. It is after all, a quantifiable thing that has been cross-referenced by researchers.

Same year, similar case, totally different reporting:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Eer ... 621215.php

2004 opinion from the then-president of National Center for Missing Adults:

The National Center for Missing Adults, based in Phoenix, consistently tracks about 48,000 "active cases," says president Kym Pasqualini, although that number has been bumped up by nearly 11,000 reports of persons missing after this year's hurricanes...

...On the other hand, she said, victims' advocates and the media would present a more rational portrait of missing persons by adding context to reporting on individual cases, such as the disappearance of Behl in Richmond or Alabama student Natalee Holloway in Aruba. Pasqualini said the media tends to focus on "damsels in distress"—typically, affluent young white women and teenagers...

..."We'd like to see a little more diversity in reporting because we have cases that never make the front page of the local newspaper, let alone the national media," Pasqualini said. "All parents are going through the same thing, no matter how much attention their case gets."

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809080 ... ing/3.html

2016 feature on a missing white girl who wasn't from the right class background to garner attention:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... tom-junod/

An extensive empirical look in this paper on how media coverage selects who to cover

https://scholarlycommons.law.northweste ... ntext=jclc

Tugger

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Sorry but I have attended several symposia on the implicit beauty bias in media (it is useful to organizations trying to reduce hiring bias) and this is a well-studied aspect of violent crime reporting in general. Our media are incentivized to focus on the stories that will sustain attention, and this is an element of that. It doesn't take away from what happened in this case at all, but if people are denying that this is an aspect of our media landscape, perhaps that is confirming *their* biases. It is after all, a quantifiable thing that has been cross-referenced by researchers.

The National Center for Missing Adults, based in Phoenix, consistently tracks about 48,000 "active cases," says president Kym Pasqualini, although that number has been bumped up by nearly 11,000 reports of persons missing after this year's hurricanes...

...On the other hand, she said, victims' advocates and the media would present a more rational portrait of missing persons by adding context to reporting on individual cases, such as the disappearance of Behl in Richmond or Alabama student Natalee Holloway in Aruba. Pasqualini said the media tends to focus on "damsels in distress"—typically, affluent young white women and teenagers...

..."We'd like to see a little more diversity in reporting because we have cases that never make the front page of the local newspaper, let alone the national media," Pasqualini said. "All parents are going through the same thing, no matter how much attention their case gets."

2016 feature on a missing white girl who wasn't from the right class background to garner attention:

An extensive empirical look in this paper on how media coverage selects who to cover

While I completely understand the "beauty" component of news (why do you think celebrity watching is such a thing?), the stories you note have significant differences and most importantly happened before iPhone's and the modern interconnected, instant information access we all assume has always been, as well as the recent coming to face our inherent racism and racial bias.

You will forever be able to point to these and may other past cases because there is and was a problem and these cases happened and were ignored. However they were also different often in subtle and large ways. In the Petito case you have a couple that were active online, that had a living person saying nothing after returning home, a family pressing, and importantly, new information appearing regularly. I truly believe it is that last element that made this "big" because more and more people could learn more and stay engaged. Everyone could go online, on their phones and see this couple's posts and webpages showing their journey, they could "get to know them" in our new weird online way. And you had more people sharing their experiences online about it and a few sharing interactions with the couple.

Again I will point out that that you could equally argue that their being a straight couple vs LGBTQ+ is also an issue. And my saying that is because anything can be an issue as to why something is or is not reported on. I very much believe if this had been a person of color it would have equally been big news for the very fact that people would accuse the new of being biased if it did not report on it. However I do not think the same would happened for a queer couple.

Like I note, I know we have a problem in this country and our media. However I believe other elements are driving this story more, such that "whiteness" vs POC is not the driving issue.

Tugg

Aaron747

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

While I completely understand the "beauty" component of news (why do you think celebrity watching is such a thing?), the stories you note have significant differences and most importantly happened before iPhone's and the modern interconnected, instant information access we all assume has always been, as well as the recent coming to face our inherent racism and racial bias.

You will forever be able to point to these and may other past cases because there is and was a problem and these cases happened and were ignored. However they were also different often in subtle and large ways. In the Petito case you have a couple that were active online, that had a living person saying nothing after returning home, a family pressing, and importantly, new information appearing regularly. I truly believe it is that last element that made this "big" because more and more people could learn more and stay engaged. Everyone could go online, on their phones and see this couple's posts and webpages showing their journey, they could "get to know them" in our new weird online way. And you had more people sharing their experiences online about it and a few sharing interactions with the couple.

Again I will point out that that you could equally argue that their being a straight couple vs LGBTQ+ is also an issue. And my saying that is because anything can be an issue as to why something is or is not reported on. I very much believe if this had been a person of color it would have equally been big news for the very fact that people would accuse the new of being biased if it did not report on it. However I do not think the same would happened for a queer couple.

Like I note, I know we have a problem in this country and our media. However I believe other elements are driving this story more, such that "whiteness" vs POC is not the driving issue.

Tugg

I did not state this story was primarily driven by that kind of bias. Another poster wanted to highlight the amount of attention this story garnered versus other missing persons cases that have been exploding over the last 1-2 years, and while agreeing that was a problem, I related the fact that media has a $$$ incentive to prioritize certain types of reporting. I then stated in a follow up post that parents of kids who are not as photogenic deserve as much attention. That's all really.

Tugger

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Tugg

I did not state this story was primarily driven by that kind of bias. Another poster wanted to highlight the amount of attention this story garnered versus other missing persons cases that have been exploding over the last 1-2 years, and while agreeing that was a problem, I related the fact that media has a $$$ incentive to prioritize certain types of reporting. I then stated in a follow up post that parents of kids who are not as photogenic deserve as much attention. That's all really.

Fair enough.

I have just heard quite a few people and "talking heads" stating the only reason this case has got the attention is has is because she is "white and pretty". I get it. But there is so much more that we diminish the issue if we make such claims on everything.

I will however note, that if Laundrie had been a "POC", I suspect the law enforcement treament and approach towards him early on might have been very different. For a fact, there is no real way to know that and what would have been done differently though. It is all hypothetical. But the reality of the case is what it is. And it alone does not absolve or prove our problems in reporting.

Tugg

johns624

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm

What I find somewhat damning is that he took her car and drove 2000+ miles.
I also don't understand (not just in this case) how someone could get so enraged at someone that they supposedly love, that they kill them. It's so much easier to turn around and say "See ya!".

Tugger

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm

johns624 wrote:
I also don't understand (not just in this case) how someone could get so enraged at someone that they supposedly love, that they kill them. It's so much easier to turn around and say "See ya!".

That's just it, we don't know what he did. Or what happened. I mean it is possible that she attacked him (we have the police video with her statement that she attacked him in that case) and he pushed her off of him only to have her lose her footing and fall to her death. But he hasn't said anything, which is the most damning thing (I think) that he could do. And I do also tend to lean, as others do, that the reason he is not saying anything is to supposedly protect himself because he did something that lead to her death.

Honestly he just needs to state what happened. He is lost already, telling the truth, whether any one believes him or not, is the only thing he can do. But it will not absolve him nor will it change his fate now.

Tugg

Aaron747

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Tugger wrote:
johns624 wrote:

That's just it, we don't know what he did. Or what happened. I mean it is possible that she attacked him (we have the police video with her statement that she attacked him in that case) and he pushed her off of him only to have her lose her footing and fall to her death. But he hasn't said anything, which is the most damning thing (I think) that he could do. And I do also tend to lean, as others do, that the reason he is not saying anything is to supposedly protect himself because he did something that lead to her death.

Honestly he just needs to state what happened. He is lost already, telling the truth, whether any one believes him or not, is the only thing he can do. But it will not absolve him nor will it change his fate now.

Tugg

Driving back to Florida in her rented vehicle is really the kicker there...I mean if something happened he felt was accidental, it would have been better to go to the local authorities in WY right away so they could investigate and clear him. The fact he didn't makes everyone assume the worst.

johns624

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:49 pm

It wasn't a rented vehicle; she owned it. Which makes it even more suspicious.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
What exactly is an influencer and how does one become one? Is it self-declared?

It basically means you are unemployed and upload videos that other unemployed people watch.

And if you happen to be attractive and wear bikinis/workout clothes a lot and can dance you can make a lot of money from it.

Not really I know a Mechanic named Scotty Kilmer who you do not want to see in a bikini and he makes much more than they do.

BTW crime scene tape and police at parents house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGyDZpPt8c

Aaron747

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:38 pm

FBI is executing a search warrant at the Laundrie house and local cops are apparently not searching a nearby reserve anymore

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1 ... 24704?s=21

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:45 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
FBI is executing a search warrant at the Laundrie house and local cops are apparently not searching a nearby reserve anymore

The car at the nature preserve seems like a decoy to me.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That’s a good bet - weren’t the parents shuttling it back and forth in the week?

johns624

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That’s a good bet - weren’t the parents shuttling it back and forth in the week?
I think the parents are digging themselves in deeper and deeper. They better quite worrying about their little boy and start worrying about themselves.

Aesma

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Not really I know a Mechanic named Scotty Kilmer who you do not want to see in a bikini and he makes much more than they do.

I have fun watching his videos even if very little applies to my life since most of the cars mentioned aren't sold here, the engines aren't the same, the transmissions either...

He's the opposite of an influencer, he spends whole videos telling people not to buy stuff ! And it's mostly about used cars. Influencers are people who will tell you to buy stuff, usually for the only reason they got a check to do it, they don't care if they sell you shit or even cause harm to you.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Once again, a White European descendant woman gets more attention from people and the media than Indigenous and other than White European persons.

My eyes just rolled so hard my wife and kids are looking for them on the floor. I hope the dogs didn't get them...

Very hard-hearted. How can you readily dismiss the pain of so many right here in our country?

I'm not. I'm dismissing your incredibly biased, virtue-signaling take on the situation. Big difference.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:06 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

My eyes just rolled so hard my wife and kids are looking for them on the floor. I hope the dogs didn't get them...

Very hard-hearted. How can you readily dismiss the pain of so many right here in our country?

I'm not. I'm dismissing your incredibly biased, virtue-signaling take on the situation. Big difference.

Dismissing criticism of media operations borne out by data and empirical observation as 'bias or virtue signaling' because the notion gives you negative feels absolutely minimizes the associated pain of thousands of families in our country. Same difference.

I'll simply quote Ms. Pasqualini again from the earlier post:

"We'd like to see a little more diversity in reporting because we have cases that never make the front page of the local newspaper, let alone the national media," Pasqualini said. "All parents are going through the same thing, no matter how much attention their case gets."

That is not virtue signaling, it's empathy.

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Empathy would have been simply addressing the pain her family and friends must be feeling at a time like this, or the family of the boyfriend.

Not grousing how her race or physical appearance are what drew attention to her plight.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:37 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Empathy would have been simply addressing the pain her family and friends must be feeling at a time like this, or the family of the boyfriend.

Not grousing how her race or physical appearance are what drew attention to her plight.

The post you are referring to was not 'grousing' - it highlighted the fact we rarely hear about other victims from that particular state. You are entitled to an opinion, but not your own facts. Grousing refers to trivial matters - I doubt most people with a heart would refer to missing women in general as 'trivial'. There is just simply no rationale for responding in a mean-spirited fashion on such a topic.

Newark727

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Hey man, speak for yourself. Everyone's got a type. :duck:

Pellegrine

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 am

I'm sorry who and why should I care?

EA CO AS

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:07 am

Aaron747 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The post you are referring to was not 'grousing' - it highlighted the fact we rarely hear about other victims from that particular state.

Funny how my opinion is merely an opinion, yet yours that it's not 'grousing' is suddenly a fact. The post I referenced, in my opinion, was grousing and in poor taste.

Aaron747 wrote:
You are entitled to an opinion, but not your own facts.

I never expressed anything other than an opinion, nor did I introduce any alternate facts. Don't attempt to use a clever statement when it's not applicable.

Aaron747 wrote:
Grousing refers to trivial matters - I doubt most people with a heart would refer to missing women in general as 'trivial'.

I agree. What was trivial is how the person whose post I'd referenced took a serious matter and derailed it onto a subject that was immaterial to that discussion. The plight of missing BIPOC women, or any women for that matter, is no less tragic, but it wasn't what we were discussing, yet he chose to make it the focus of the discussion anyway.

THAT attempt at deflection was, and remains, trivial to the matter at hand. I think we can all agree that missing women, regardless of who they may be, are a serious issue.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 am

EA CO AS wrote:
I think we can all agree that missing women, regardless of who they may be, are a serious issue.

This is all that needed to be said, instead of a dismissive and mean-spirited remark.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 am

bpatus297 wrote:

Guilty until proven innocent. I agree he is acting strange and it appears that he is hiding something. To play devils advocate, what if he witnessed her fall, hit her head and die. He may have had a mental breakdown due to seeing the love of his life die in front of him. I'm not saying that this happened, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Again, I don't necessarily think this happened, but I will wait for more detail/evidence to be released.

Right. I do not out of hand believe this man is specifically not guilty of a malice in se crime. But what you have postulated is also very easily possible as well.

EA CO AS wrote:
The post I referenced, in my opinion, was grousing and in poor taste.

Did you forget that you literally showed up here to roll your eyes over the lack of attention give to similar situations involving women of color?

ltbewr

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:27 am

Hopefully soon, the body found will be verified as Gabby and we have from the preliminary coroner examination results of the probable cause of her death. We also need to see the boyfriend found dead or alive. I think pressure needs to be put on his parents as to their possible help with their son in becoming a fugitive.
What seems to be the attention getting twist in this case is the boyfriend's seemingly callous behaviors after it. It triggered Gabby's parents to go to the media to get answers and the hope of their daughter being found alive and ok, that is normal parental behavior.

johns624

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:37 pm

It sounds like the body may have decomposed enough that any signs of strangulation or similar may be gone. The best outcome is if he kills himself.

phugoid1982

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 pm

johns624 wrote:
It sounds like the body may have decomposed enough that any signs of strangulation or similar may be gone. The best outcome is if he kills himself.

Sadly, body confirmed to be that of Gabby Petito

https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-coun ... -confirms/

While I share the impulse for a quick resolution with this degenerate killing himself I would much rather see him rot in prison without the possibility of parole and all the associated mental, physical torture and dare I say it "non-consensual" extra curricular activities which I believe is a fate far worse than death

Tugger

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:49 pm

Ehh, I'm fine if he ends himself. Honestly no one,here knows why he was a silent asshole (his parents and lawyer do I suspect). And equally honestly we don't know if she contributed to her own fate. Hopefully the autopsy will be able to provide some provable closure to this sad situation but I unfortunately doubt it.

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:11 pm

phugoid1982 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Sadly, body confirmed to be that of Gabby Petito

https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-coun ... -confirms/

While I share the impulse for a quick resolution with this degenerate killing himself I would much rather see him rot in prison without the possibility of parole and all the associated mental, physical torture and dare I say it "non-consensual" extra curricular activities which I believe is a fate far worse than death

Better a swiftly done hanging.

LabQuest

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:13 pm

This is why we have the electric chair.

SESGDL

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 pm

Tugger wrote:
Ehh, I'm fine if he ends himself. Honestly no one,here knows why he was a silent asshole (his parents and lawyer do I suspect). And equally honestly we don't know if she contributed to her own fate. Hopefully the autopsy will be able to provide some provable closure to this sad situation but I unfortunately doubt it.

Tugg

I’m alarmed by the mental gymnastics you keep doing to try to justify why he can’t possibly be at fault for her death. Why even question if she possibly “contributed” to her own death? Odd…

Jeremy

Tugger

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 pm

SESGDL wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I’m alarmed by the mental gymnastics you keep doing to try to justify why he can’t possibly be at fault for her death. Why even question if she possibly “contributed” to her own death? Odd…

Jeremy

What gymnastics? It is entirely possible he caused her death (which I noted above). Maybe he even killed her out of anger or whatever.
However none of us know that.

And the tiny bit of "evidence" (if it can be called that) we have about their relationship near the time of her death showed that she attacked him and that no one has said anything that he did anything to her in that situation.

So not "mental gymnastics". Reasonable doubt at this point.

And again, let me be clear, I think his silence and actions so far since he left her wherever, have been and are unconscionable and abusive. And I have no problem if he weer to "dispose of himself" over this situation.

Tugg

ltbewr

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:48 pm

The place Laundrie is possibly hiding out in has gators. Maybe he will have a run in with one and save the state the need for a trial.

Tugger

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:51 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The place Laundrie is possibly hiding out in has gators. Maybe he will have a run in with one and save the state the need for a trial.

Which would also explain why no one can find him!

Tugg

petertenthije

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:06 pm

I am quite surprised by the callousness of those wishing for Brian Laudrie to kill himself or for him to be killed.

Yes, all indications point to him having killed Gabby Petito. If and when proven, he deserves whatever comes his way. But at this point it has not been proven. There is still supposed to be such a thing as due-process and presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Tugger

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 pm

petertenthije wrote:
I am quite surprised by the callousness of those wishing for Brian Laudrie to kill himself or for him to be killed.

Yes, all indications point to him having killed Gabby Petito. If and when proven, he deserves whatever comes his way. But at this point it has not been proven. There is still supposed to be such a thing as due-process and presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Honestly I am only speaking to his own internal guilt when I say I am "OK with it". I am not saying he should though. There are times we do things that we cannot live with. It is hard and terrible but it is and has always been a part of the human experience. If he finds this to be his choice... then it is his choice. Not mine.

While I 100% believe in the due process of law, it requires participation. And he has not so far. So we are potentially left with own internal "court".

Edited to add: And I do find the "animal in a zoo" element of watching a trapped person flail to explain (or not) whatever crime is being prosecuted to be not a better solution.

Tugg

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:29 pm

ltbewr wrote:

I'm getting the feeling he has allowed for that and it won't happen.

petertenthije wrote:

Was I callous when I wished Nicole got the knife out of OJ's hand and stabbed him in the eye socket killing him instantly? The world would be a better place.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:21 am

petertenthije wrote:

Presumption of innocence is for the courts and system. This is the court of public opinion and with the information out there, people have reasonably determined the guy is a douche and has been helped by enabling parents that made him that way. I can’t fault anyone for that.

bpatus297

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 am

petertenthije wrote:

While I agree that it is very likely that he killed her, I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. We are seeing a good example of the lynch mob mentality.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am

bpatus297 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

While I agree that it is very likely that he killed her, I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. We are seeing a good example of the lynch mob mentality.

This is not lynch mob - anyone with a daughter, niece, or sister can relate to what the Petito family is experiencing. Instead of calling out 'lynch mob mentality', maybe hear what her parents have to say about all the times they have tried reaching out to Laundrie's family only to be rebuffed with total silence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzCwXQXqtzw

bpatus297

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

This is not lynch mob - anyone with a daughter, niece, or sister can relate to what the Petito family is experiencing. Instead of calling out 'lynch mob mentality', maybe hear what her parents have to say about all the times they have tried reaching out to Laundrie's family only to be rebuffed with total silence:

Holy cow, yes this is a "lynch mob" mentality. People are calling for him to kill himself or be killed and they don't even know a fraction of the facts in the case. Read my replys again, I think this guy is most likely guilty, but he should still be afforded due process. What does the victims family's reaction plus his family's silence have to do with due process? It's heart breaking and I would be out for revenge if it was one of my daughters, but that doesn't negate anything.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:56 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Holy cow, yes this is a "lynch mob" mentality. People are calling for him to kill himself or be killed and they don't even know a fraction of the facts in the case. Read my replys again, I think this guy is most likely guilty, but he should still be afforded due process. What does the victims family's reaction plus his family's silence have to do with due process? It's heart breaking and I would be out for revenge if it was one of my daughters, but that doesn't negate anything.

Nobody has called for an abolition of due process. People are capable of letting the law and system work through while also opining on the individuals involved and their culpability. I pointed you to the family's comments to see they are angry and are calling for Brian and his family to step up, but are not calling for his head (yet) - not a mob mentality.

Tugger

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:38 pm

And I will say that now with all the new information begin found and reported, my stance has changed about evidence showing the boyfriend being potentially abusive (I had noted his silence certainly spoke toward his potential culpability though).

And to presumption of innocence, that is the burden and requirement of the court and the government. We in the public can do that or not as we wish (as we all well know). "Convicted in the court of public opinion" is a real thing.

Tugg

Aaron747

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

Tugger wrote:
And I will say that now with all the new information begin found and reported, my stance has changed about evidence showing the boyfriend being potentially abusive (I had noted his silence certainly spoke toward his potential culpability though).

Absolutely, and an opportune time for a reminder that cases like Petito's can kick off much needed discussions around DV in general:

"When you treat it as just one dramatic, isolated case, you miss the bigger picture," said Kiersten Stewart, director of public policy and advocacy at the nonprofit Futures Without Violence. "On average, three women a day are killed in this country from domestic violence and we're not doing enough to address it."

Domestic violence is a preventable and widespread public health problem that cuts across race, age, income, sexual orientation, religion and gender — in terms of both victims and perpetrators.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/hea ... 792811001/

As someone from a family where we had to watch and grapple with the need to intervene when a female relative was not seeking help in an abusive situation, DV is awful for all involved.

Tugger

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm

I am very much curious to know what the coroners findings are and how are applying "homicide".

Though I am fairly certain they will not release them for awhile.

Tugg

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Tugger wrote:
I am very much curious to know what the coroners findings are and how are applying "homicide".

Though I am fairly certain they will not release them for awhile.

Tugg

Unless something whacky happened my money is on she has strangulation injuries or blunt force trauma it's really only those two that can be homicide. He doesn't seem like the gunshot or stabbing type. No they are not going to leak anything out but they have bigger fish to fry like finding this guy which is proving to be a tough task so far and he has a 4 day head start.

Aesma

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Am I the only one finding it strange that the police had put the guy in a hotel and left the girl sleeping alone in the van ?

Tugger

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
Am I the only one finding it strange that the police had put the guy in a hotel and left the girl sleeping alone in the van ?

Well it was her van for one. And it was a camper van at that. So why not? Camping is pretty safe (normally).

Tugg