Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAUA
Topic Author

Will Scott Morrison be re-elected?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:21 am

The next federal election will be in 2022 right?

Will Scott Morrison be re-elected? Seems that he is very good.

flyboysp

Re: Will Scott Morrison be re-elected?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 pm

UAUA wrote:

That's correct. I believe it will need to be held by September 3.

What have you seen that makes you think that he is good? I'm not challenging you, just wanting to get a better understand of your view. Personally I don't want Scott Morrison and the Liberal-National Coalition to be re-elected but have a feeling they will be returned.

Electra

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:57 pm

The next federal election needs to be held before or on 21 May 2022.
As to Scott Morrison’s re-election as Prime Minister*, I would say it is unlikely.

His handling of the pandemic, in particular the vaccine rollout, and his inaction over allegations of sexual misconduct in his party have negatively affected his public perception.
Even pre-pandemic, his party (actually a coalition of two parties) only held government by a small majority; 8 seats ahead of the Labor Party and only one seat away from being a minority government.
Given he was already viewed as particularly non-memorable PM who was never really able to identify with a lot of the population (and vice-versa), his perceived mis-handlings only serve to see him lose support, not gain it.

*Scott Morrison could very well be re-elected as a Member of Parliament if the voters in his own electorate vote that way, but without a Liberal-National victory (unlikely), he won’t be Prime Minister.

Dutchy

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Sorry, had to look up who he was. He seems to be Prime Minister of Australia. Since I am not a close follower of Australian politics, can't follow everything ;-), I dug a little deeper, so he is pro-coal and anti-climate action. So I hope he will not be elected for the sake of our world.

source: Sidney Mornning Herrold

That is just sad theatrics.

edit: added a picture

Toenga

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:57 pm

I think he is extremly popular with well off white middle aged males with small government, low tax policies, and very close alignment to the conservative governments and attitudes of the US and Britain, including their very hard lines on immigration. An attitude that the natural world order is leadership from the Anglosphere is right and proper.
This support should remain robust bolstered by the AUKUS deal.
The dominance of the conservative Murdoch empire in Australia remains, lending him crucial support
Chauvinism may loose him some female vote though.
Attitudes on climate change and other environmental and equity issues will loose him support amongst younger voters.
Alignment with the NSW premier, and the bulk of the media, in unwarranted denigrating the Labour led states in their covid responses, especially in light of the current NSW covid situation will undoubtably loose him support in Victoria, WA, and QLD.
The vaccine rollout and vaccine allocation debacles likewise will cost him votes.
Ongoing and very serious corruption allegations against many prominent government politicians will cost him votes amongst those have a more idealistic stance, perhaps the young and women generally.
There is some unease with the PM's heavy involvement with the heavily US influenced very conservative Pentecostal Christian movement.
It will be an interesting election no doubt. A bit of a Narnia moment perhaps.
Those are purely personal observations.

johns624

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Not if the French have any say in it! :D
PS--Stay off of boats until after the election...

Kent350787

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 am

UAUA wrote:

Surely this is trolling. Morrison is empirically our worst PM since Billy McMahon. His most recent rating as preferred PM was 45% nationally, noticably higher amongst men than women. He has shown negligable eleadership during the pandemic, piled on his poor performance during the 2019-20 bushfires.

That said, Labor needs to pick up 2-3 seats in NSW and more in Qld to win. Qld is very interesting as the Labor state government has very strong support, but this doesn't consistently translate into Federal votes. Labor will have its eyes firmly fixed on Lindsay and Banks as likely gain in NSW, and it will be interesting to see how Hughes goes, and whether Clive Palmer's cash can retain it with Kelly.

I think Albanese has been overall solid during the pandemic, but far from outstanding for Labor. If Labor doesn't win, I'd expect one of the strong female MPs will replace him as leader.

sierrakilo44

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:34 am

Toenga wrote:
The dominance of the conservative Murdoch empire in Australia remains, lending him crucial support

That’s the one thing keeping him in his job. There were concerns with the Liberal National Coalition prior to the 2019 election, being incompetent, untrustworthy, leaderless, influenced by too many religious conservatives, harsh economic and social policies. But the right wing Murdoch media launched an all out assault on the opposition, basically claiming they would steal Australian’s retirement money and tax them to the eyeballs, and it worked.

Despite all the incompetence of his government’s handling of Covid, the vaccine rollout, bushfires, climate change, foreign affairs, trade, welfare policies, health, general corruption and an increasingly religious conservative government in a secular country, Morrison seems to be made of Teflon, and I believe that’s primarily down to 70% of Australian newspapers being owned by Rupert Murdoch, along with Sky News and a big internet and right wing talkback radio presence. They will do anything to keep their Liberal mates in power.

As much as issues like climate change and misogyny in government go, Australians vote primarily based on personal economic interest first. If the government puts out economic sweeteners prior to the election and has their media allies scaremonger that the opposition will increase taxes then expect a Coalition victory next year.

Kent350787 wrote:

I think Albanese has been overall solid during the pandemic, but far from outstanding for Labor. If Labor doesn't win, I'd expect one of the strong female MPs will replace him as leader.

I think the best PM would be Penny Wong. She’d need to move from the Senate to the House of Representatives to do it, but she has the characteristics to be a PM for Modern Australia. However with the latent anti-Asian racism underlying in our society, plus her status as a lesbian with IVF born children would enrage the conservative right and see them mount an offensive to keep her out of office.

UAUA
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am

Guess Liberal will be re-elected?

Kent350787

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 am

UAUA wrote:
Guess Liberal will be re-elected?

The Liberal-National Party coalition has bene a poor government for Australia, and Morrison a poor leader. The Liberal Party currently holds 60 seats, and their coalition partner 16. The Labor Party holds 68 seats.

A big factor that we know needs to be considered is the impact of the populist United Australia Party, which is even more Trumpist that the Liberal Party. It could be argued that the former treasurer of the Queensland LNP, alleged billionaire Clive Palmer, effectively spent $80 million to capture disaffected traditional Labor voter and funnel those votes to the LNP. There was almsot zero expectation that Labor would lose the last election, and most capable Liberal MPs retired on this expectation

The Liberal-National Party does not deserve to hold government, but there are forces which may see it do so.

Pi7472000

Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:32 am

Does the Prime Minister in Australia have that much influence anyway? It seems the premiers have a lot more power during COVID. Interesting how states how so much power in Australia to make decisions. This really seems to divide the country.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/why-the ... 5863f.html

Kent350787

Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:08 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Does the Prime Minister in Australia have that much influence anyway? It seems the premiers have a lot more power during COVID. Interesting how states how so much power in Australia to make decisions. This really seems to divide the country.

A significant frustration has been the lack of leadership from the Commonwealth, led by the PM. He has allowed the States to fight each other, rather than pushing for a national positoin that is dependable. The Commonwealth Govt has also been the purchaser for all our vaccines, and has used an opaque model for distribution which has failed to recognise the skills and knowledge of the states - who actually deliver health programs on a day to day basis.

All of this on the back of his family holiday to Hawaii during the 2019-20 bushfire crisis should bode poorly for reelection.

A101

Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:41 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

All of this on the back of his family holiday to Hawaii during the 2019-20 bushfire crisis should bode poorly for reelection.

And as was the NSW Minister for emergency services David Elliot and along with the Qld Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk both were on holidays at the time

You can hardly blame them as the bushfires are an annual thing in Australia, this one just caught them out for being larger than normal and only increased in intensity whilst they were on annual leave

cpd

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 pm

A101 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

And as was the NSW Minister for emergency services David Elliot and along with the Qld Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk both were on holidays at the time

You can hardly blame them as the bushfires are an annual thing in Australia, this one just caught them out for being larger than normal and only increased in intensity whilst they were on annual leave

How can you be caught out by bushfires? They happen annually so it should be easy enough to be prepared for it.

Especially by bringing in adequate equipment needed just in case.

If you can get a lump of coal and bring it into parliament then surely being prepared for bushfire season should be within the capabilities of our highly paid leadership.

Kent350787

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 pm

cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

How can you be caught out by bushfires? They happen annually so it should be easy enough to be prepared for it.

If you can get a lump of coal and bring it into parliament then surely being prepared for bushfire season should be within the capabilities of our highly paid leadership.

I stand by my earlier statement that Morrison is our worst "leader" since Billy McMahon.

A101

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:05 am

cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

State responsibility, never heard of a state premier hand the reins over to their federal counterpart

A101

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:08 am

Kent350787 wrote:
cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:

I stand by my earlier statement that Morrison is our worst "leader" since Billy McMahon.

Very subjective that comes down to the individual on what makes or not make a good PM, I would place Gillard /Rudd way up that totem pole as well

Kent350787

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:52 am

A101 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
cpd wrote:

Very subjective that comes down to the individual on what makes or not make a good PM, I would place Gillard /Rudd way up that totem pole as well

I said leader, rather than PM, although I'd probably rate him similar across a range of objective measures of public adminsitration. Both Rudd and Gillard showed leadership. I absolutely disagreed with most of Howard's policies apart from gun control, but he still showed leadership. Similar with Fraser, who charted a firm post-Whitlam course, even though Hawke and Keating had to undo a range of it.

Morrison is a follower who has appeared to do everything within his power to avoid responsibility while trying to tak ecredit for the success of others.

A101

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:05 am

Kent350787 wrote:
A101 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

I said leader, rather than PM, although I'd probably rate him similar across a range of objective measures of public adminsitration. Both Rudd and Gillard showed leadership. I absolutely disagreed with most of Howard's policies apart from gun control, but he still showed leadership. Similar with Fraser, who charted a firm post-Whitlam course, even though Hawke and Keating had to undo a range of it.

Morrison is a follower who has appeared to do everything within his power to avoid responsibility while trying to tak ecredit for the success of others.

Well since you mentioned two names and both were leaders of their respective political parties and by chance both were sitting Prime Ministers of Australia, one would infer leader to mean Prime Minister, if not you should have been more specific to whom one was leading what.

I think some leaders of the opposition party would have made great Prime Minister, Kim "Bomber" Beazley

But to be fair I would say the greatest Australian PM would have been John Curtin, not saying he was the smartest Prime Minister, but the most smartest leader of the time

A101

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:48 am

Pi7472000 wrote:

Of course the state premiers have more power as health is a state mandate matter constitutionally

this link gives an overview on the roles of each branch of Government in Australia

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/about ... ate-a.aspx

Also it was only in 1986 that the UK parliament no longer could pass state legislation under the Australia Act

alanb976

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:30 am

I think all Australians could do with some education on the responsibilities of the federal and state governments. I also think we would do better with clearer delineation between what is the responsibility of each level of government. Give states total responsibility for school age education, health and childcare.

I think we last had a good federal government with the 2nd term of the Howard government. Their last term seemed to be when the rot set in :( From the start of the Hawke government till then I think we were fairly well served by our federal governments.

The next federal election is still up for grabs. A lot can change in 6 months.

Dieuwer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Morrison will be reelected if the Grand Australian Stockholm Syndrome Experiment has come to a positive conclusion. If not, then not.

A101

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:39 pm

alanb976 wrote:
I think all Australians could do with some education on the responsibilities of the federal and state governments. I also think we would do better with clearer delineation between what is the responsibility of each level of government. Give states total responsibility for school age education, health and childcare.

I think we last had a good federal government with the 2nd term of the Howard government. Their last term seemed to be when the rot set in :( From the start of the Hawke government till then I think we were fairly well served by our federal governments.

The next federal election is still up for grabs. A lot can change in 6 months.

I think we’re the lines get blurred is when federal funding comes in it, because that funding will come with conditions attached that they would like to see which may conflict with the state and any perceived bias if for say it’s is as now a Lib/Nat Government and the state such as Victoria/Queensland is ALP, politics is all about point scoring at domestic consumption level

You certainly see that during the covid crisis, they various state leaders have meetings and agree on a plan for then the state premier to do their own thing in regards to lockdowns