Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Breaking: Member of Congress Admits to Being Wrong

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

This is such a rare event it deserves its own thread - in our current era of performance antics throughout Congress, one member of the House has done the unthinkable: acting like an adult and admitting she was wrong on a major policy stance.

In a ‘60 Minutes’ interview last night, Rep. Liz Cheney admitted her past opposition to same-sex marriage was in error:

Driving the news: CBS' Lesley Stahl asked Cheney during their interview how she could defend her stance, given that her sister's gay, married and has children.

What she's saying: "I was wrong," Cheney replied. "I love my sister very much. I love her family very much. And ... I was wrong. It's a very personal issue, and very personal for my family."

https://www.axios.com/cheney-wrong-oppo ... aign=onhrs

I can probably count on one hand the number of policy positions I agree with Cheney on, but I applaud her as this is the mark of a mature person. Hopefully this can set an example for the rest of Congress on how adults claiming to represent us can learn to behave again.

LCDFlight

Re: Breaking: Member of Congress Admits to Being Wrong

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:16 pm

If Cheney or her father took personality tests, would they would they get the same results as Darth Vader or Hannibal Lecter? How does one interpret the words of a character like that?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
If Cheney or her father took personality tests, would they would they get the same results as Darth Vader or Hannibal Lecter? How does one interpret the words of a character like that?

Her father is definitely a known quantity, but there was nothing discernibly misleading about her statement at all. Watch her answer and tell me she wasn't being genuine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUJ07OQ6Uo

Not to mention, there's little political benefit to that statement in her state, except to stand up for freedom.

Aesma

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Actually this is horrible news. Cheney isn't a raving lunatic, and as a result is probably going to lose her seat. So she's saying that now that her career is basically over.

Furthermore, she had "proof" in her own family that being gay wasn't some kind of horrible thing, and still defended that indefensible position tooth and nail.

What hope is there for the average, dumber politician ?

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Crocodile Tears much?

LabQuest

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Obama did the same thing.

Big deal.

LCDFlight

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Aesma wrote:
Actually this is horrible news. Cheney isn't a raving lunatic, and as a result is probably going to lose her seat. So she's saying that now that her career is basically over.

Furthermore, she had "proof" in her own family that being gay wasn't some kind of horrible thing, and still defended that indefensible position tooth and nail.

What hope is there for the average, dumber politician ?

My bet is she will decamp to LA. You know, to replace Kanye.

alfa164

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:32 pm

Aesma wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that. Voters in Wyoming often show a very libertarian, live-and-let-live streak, and despite vehement Trump's opposition, may go for someone who shows independence and maverick-ism. Not to mention... the Cheney name carries a lot of weight there.

FGITD

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:37 pm

As usual, the only time they’ll admit they were wrong is when it impacts them personally…

luckyone

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:08 pm

Another possibility is this is much like her initial opposition, this is purely a political calculation. She's allying herself with a lot of people right now, and one of them may require her to soften her stance

seb146

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:15 pm

I wonder how long it will be until Republican leaders demand she resign from the party?

And, yes, Obama changed his mind. That is allowed. Researching facts, talking to people actually effected by a law or rule, opening one's mind. That is allowed.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
Researching facts, talking to people actually effected by a law or rule, opening one's mind. That is allowed.

It is not about being allowed to change ones mind. It is about having any credibility.
It is too easy for politicians to go on national tv and tear-jerk about "being wrong". Sorry, but "first see then believe". And, "actions speak louder than words".

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 am

Dieuwer wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Researching facts, talking to people actually effected by a law or rule, opening one's mind. That is allowed.

It is not about being allowed to change ones mind. It is about having any credibility.
It is too easy for politicians to go on national tv and tear-jerk about "being wrong". Sorry, but "first see then believe". And, "actions speak louder than words".

Mmmkay...so what would you like - a verification video of her mea culpa to sister?

NIKV69

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:03 am

LabQuest wrote:

Big deal.

But didn't he "evolve"

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 am

NIKV69 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Big deal.

But didn't he "evolve"

There’s evolving as an adult, and there’s staying the same. Then there’s devolving like Rudy :lol:

LabQuest

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:20 am

NIKV69 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Big deal.

But didn't he "evolve"

You're right. He made a political pivot.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
seb146 wrote:

She could table and sponsor pro-LGBT legislation, show her face in person in the LGBT community and apologize directly to the people, etc.

seb146

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:16 pm

LabQuest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Big deal.

But didn't he "evolve"

You're right. He made a political pivot.

Obama went from "separate but equal" to full LGBTQ+ legalization. Sounds like evolution to me!

seb146

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:19 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
seb146 wrote:

She could table and sponsor pro-LGBT legislation, show her face in person in the LGBT community and apologize directly to the people, etc.

So going on national television and saying she was wrong is not apologizing directly to the people? Yes, she could co-sponsor and vote yes on LGBTQ+ equality and vote against Republican sponsored hate bills. She just might. And be thrown out of the Republican party.