Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Is "Detroit-style" pizza a thing?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:39 pm

I tried this "Detroit-style" type pizza the other night from the Pizza Hut (in Everett, Mass. thanks for asking). It was yummy and all (I mean... it's pizza) but as someone who's never been to Detroit and doesn't have short-term plans to forgive it for allowing the demolition of the Times Building, I have to wonder if they really have their own style of pizza. In San Francisco I passed by this place in the Inner Sunset that advertised "Boston-style" subs; and having been born and raised in Boston I couldn't tell you that there was any such thing as that. Likewise, the Hilton in Québec City had "Canadian pancakes" on the menu. Each pancake was rolled up & cinnamon-coated, served with a cup o syrup that each cut forkful was to be dipped in. They were fun and tasty but none of the actual Canadians I mentioned this to had ever heard of "Canadian pancakes."

So... is the Hut just making things up now, to capitalize on "the D"s ascendant popularity?

extender

Re: Is "Detroit-style" pizza a thing?

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:49 pm

It is to Pizza Hut. I've also had them from Costco, they were good.

ER757

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:45 pm

I had never heard of Detroit style pizza until that ad started running. I've never been to Detroit so can't say for sure if it's a real thing or not, but certainly not as well known as New York or Chicago style.
Maybe a bit off topic but I am going to go on a bit of a rant since this is about an ad on Pizza Hut. It also applies to Papa Murphy ads. "Pizza" is not now, never has been and never will be a verb!
Pizza Hut's tag line is "Nobody out-pizzas the Hut." Papa Murphy's is "We are going to change the way you pizza." Just stop....pizza is a noun not a verb. Rant over

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:55 pm

(If Wikipedia is correct...)
Yes...it's a thing, although mostly unknown outside of Detroit prior to circa 2015 or so, and just suddenly become some food trend similar to the like of Birria Tacos.

And no, the Pizza Hut version is nothing like the real thing.

P.S. There's also St. Louis style, New Haven style, and Philly style (Tomato Pie)...the varieties of local pizza is actually pretty crazy. Of course, to an Italian, they're all crap pizzas :duck:

bpatus297

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:14 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
(If Wikipedia is correct...)
Yes...it's a thing, although mostly unknown outside of Detroit prior to circa 2015 or so, and just suddenly become some food trend similar to the like of Birria Tacos.

And no, the Pizza Hut version is nothing like the real thing.

P.S. There's also St. Louis style, New Haven style, and Philly style (Tomato Pie)...the varieties of local pizza is actually pretty crazy. Of course, to an Italian, they're all crap pizzas :duck:

Makes me miss Buddy's pizza, so good.

GrahamHill

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm

First time I heard about it is when Chef John made a video a couple of years ago.

Never tried it, though.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:33 pm

What is the definition of a "Detroit-style Pizza"?

invertalon

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Yes, it is a thing.

Think of it like Chicago deep dish, but baked in a rectangle with cheese all the way to the edge over the crust. Sauce is placed on top, like Chicago style. Some differences though.

I make it at home quite often, one of my favorite pizza styles to make!

A good summary:

https://www.buddyspizza.com/history-of- ... tyle-pizza

nwadeicer

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Grew up in Michigan, it’s what was described above me. Basically like a Chicago style pizza made in a rectangular pan. The cheese is placed around the edges to give it that cheesy crunch. I prefer the New York thin style pizza. If I wanted a Chicago style deep dish pizza I’d order a piece of lasagna…

FGITD

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Airstud wrote:
I tried this "Detroit-style" type pizza the other night from the Pizza Hut (in Everett, Mass. thanks for asking).

I count 3 horrible things in just this one quote

1337Delta764

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Tried the Detroit Style Pizza from Pizza Hut, epic fail. It wasn't anything special; just was basically a rectangular Pizza Hut pizza. The cheese didn't even reach the edge like it did in the advertisement.

cjg225

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:31 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
I prefer the New York thin style pizza. If I wanted a Chicago style deep dish pizza I’d order a piece of lasagna…

I am definitely a thin-crust guy. I just cannot wrap my head around deep dish pizza. It's just way too much.

While Pizza Hut certainly isn't the pinnacle of pizza, one thing they do that I rarely see elsewhere is a *really* think and crispy crust. Basically almost on cracker crust. Love that.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Oh yes it is, as a native Detroiter I am here to tell you! And it is way better than NY or Chicago style. The nonsense from Pizza Hut is unauthentic (full disclosure: I've never actually tried it, but I'm being a curmudgeon and that's my gosh darn right! :old:).

A Detroit-style pizza is typified by the chain Buddy's.

1) The sauce is a marinara with garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of chili flakes added and simmered.
2) The crust is kneaded and allowed to rise in the pan for the first rise. The pain is heavily oiled. Then the crust is punched down and pushed to the edges of the pan.
3) The pepperoni (or whatever meat) goes on next. Then...
4) Brick cheese,* which must contact the sides of the pain all around and then...
5) The sauce goes on top in two or three distinct stripes.

When the pizza goes in the oven (550F for 15-20 minutes), the fat from the pepperoni, the butterfat from the cheese, and the olive oil all drip down around the crust, frying it in the process, giving you the most amazing fried bread effect.

I make them at home (living in San Franscisco it's all I can do).

*In order to simulate brick cheese, I use 4oz each of medium cheddar, mozzarella (block, not fresh) and jack. I cut the cheeses into cubes and then sprinkle those on the pizza; shredding is not necessary.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:28 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Oh yes it is, as a native Detroiter I am here to tell you! And it is way better than NY or Chicago style. The nonsense from Pizza Hut is unauthentic (full disclosure: I've never actually tried it, but I'm being a curmudgeon and that's my gosh darn right! :old:).

Sounds like you have an opportunity for a career change: Doc.L Hut Pizzah! :D

johns624

Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:13 pm

Like other posters have said, Buddy's is where it's at!!!

ER757

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 am

DocLightning wrote:

1) The sauce is a marinara with garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch of chili flakes added and simmered.
2) The crust is kneaded and allowed to rise in the pan for the first rise. The pain is heavily oiled. Then the crust is punched down and pushed to the edges of the pan.
4) Brick cheese,* which must contact the sides of the pain all around and then...

When the pizza goes in the oven (550F for 15-20 minutes), the fat from the pepperoni, the butterfat from the cheese, and the olive oil all drip down around the crust, frying it in the process, giving you the most amazing fried bread effect.

*In order to simulate brick cheese, I use 4oz each of medium cheddar, mozzarella (block, not fresh) and jack. I cut the cheeses into cubes and then sprinkle those on the pizza; shredding is not necessary.

Wow Doc, that sounds really good. What time should I be over for dinner? :smile:
I'd like to try a real one to see if it's really better than Chicago style (where I grew up).

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:08 am

Chicago and Detroit “pizza” maybe be good (too damned much bread ) but it’s not pizza. Pizza has a thin crust, cracker thin, minimal sauce, no more than two toppings and is baked in a very hot coal oven—3 minutes should do it. Any “pizza” that takes twenty minutes is bread with pizza-like stuff on top. I do pizza in hot oven in 4 minutes on steel.

Aaron747

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:14 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Chicago and Detroit “pizza” maybe be good (too damned much bread ) but it’s not pizza. Pizza has a thin crust, cracker thin, minimal sauce, no more than two toppings and is baked in a very hot coal oven—3 minutes should do it. Any “pizza” that takes twenty minutes is bread with pizza-like stuff on top. I do pizza in hot oven in 4 minutes on steel.

Agreed - anything pizza is thin crust. Anything with a thick crust is a pizza-like pie.

WA707atMSP

Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:48 pm

The Wall Street Journal had an article this year about the origins of Detroit style pizza, and how it is becoming as accepted as New York's and Chicago's styles.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-america ... 1611853467

Although Buddy's is considered the gold standard for Detroit style pizzas, several other local chains serve it.

Like DocLightning, Buddy's Pizza is one of the things I miss most about my hometown. Whenever I arrive at DTW, I order Buddy's takeout from their location at Maple and Lahser; the pizza is ready by the time I drive there from DTW, and my parents and I share it for the first dinner of my visit.

There's a large number of expatriate Detroiters here in Minneapolis (about 1/3 of the people at Twins / Tigers games root for the Tigers), and I wish I could find a pizza joint here that serves Detroit style pizza like Buddy's does.......

bpatus297

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:03 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
The Wall Street Journal had an article this year about the origins of Detroit style pizza, and how it is becoming as accepted as New York's and Chicago's styles.

Although Buddy's is considered the gold standard for Detroit style pizzas, several other local chains serve it.

Like DocLightning, Buddy's Pizza is one of the things I miss most about my hometown. Whenever I arrive at DTW, I order Buddy's takeout from their location at Maple and Lahser; the pizza is ready by the time I drive there from DTW, and my parents and I share it for the first dinner of my visit.

There's a large number of expatriate Detroiters here in Minneapolis (about 1/3 of the people at Twins / Tigers games root for the Tigers), and I wish I could find a pizza joint here that serves Detroit style pizza like Buddy's does.......

There isn't a whole lot to miss about Detroit, but Buddy's is one. LOL

extender

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm

It is all good. NY-style, Chicago-style, Detroit-style. My preference is as GalaxyFlyer posted, thin crust in a coal-fired oven.

Kent350787

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:36 am

extender wrote:
It is all good. NY-style, Chicago-style, Detroit-style. My preference is as GalaxyFlyer posted, thin crust in a coal-fired oven.

Coal or wood charcoal? I agree Neapolitan style crust and oven is best, but will eat a range of styles. A few friends have backyard ovens, which is always good for a party feast, but there are sevarl good (and few less good) wood fired oven places nearby

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:59 am

Either one, NY or New Haven style is traditionally coal.

N757ST

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:15 pm

New Haven style > *

Chicago and Detroit pizza is good, but I’d argue it’s not pizza. It’s a crusted casserole or a pastry.

Jon Stewart summed it up the best:

https://youtu.be/jCgYMFtxUUw

And before anyone accuses me of gatekeeping, nope. A zoodle is not pasta, froyo is not ice cream, and portobello burger is not in fact a burger. All can be delicious, as is Chicago style and Detroit style “pizza”, but it isn’t pizza.

ER757

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Agreed - anything pizza is thin crust. Anything with a thick crust is a pizza-like pie.

Pizza-like pie? You mean "pizza pie?" That's what's it's called lots of places. Was even a lyric in a Dean Martin song - "when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore"

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:09 pm

I said “pizza-like pie” and that’s what I meant. Detroit and Chicago “pizza” has elements of pizza—dough, a sauce usually tomato based, cheese; but in the wrong ratios, overblown bread, too many toppings. Detroit goes beserk with cheeses that don’t belong on pizza, they belong on grilled cheese which it best replicates.

LMP737

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

As someone born and raised in the Chicagoland area and having a dad who grew up on the southeast side I always get a chuckle when people talk about Chicago style pizza. Growing up I never once had "Chicago style pizza". It was always thin crust baked in a brick oven. If you had asked me as a kid what Chicago style pizza was I would have told you just that, thin crust with sausage and peperoni.

Sometimes I think that Chicago style pizza is aimed at all the tourists. You see them lined up outside Pizzeria Uno downtown in the summer, like lemmings.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 am

We had a pilot of Italian background and pretty good eater, we headed for to Pizzeria Due on a layover. He ordered the pizza, it sank him like an Titanic hitting the iceberg.

cjg225

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:01 pm

LMP737 wrote:
As someone born and raised in the Chicagoland area and having a dad who grew up on the southeast side I always get a chuckle when people talk about Chicago style pizza. Growing up I never once had "Chicago style pizza". It was always thin crust baked in a brick oven. If you had asked me as a kid what Chicago style pizza was I would have told you just that, thin crust with sausage and peperoni.

Sometimes I think that Chicago style pizza is aimed at all the tourists. You see them lined up outside Pizzeria Uno downtown in the summer, like lemmings.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Good marketing.

davidjohnson6

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:48 pm

The correct style of pizza comes from Naples in Italy. Anything else is an abomination
Yes, those Hawaiian and stuffed crust dishes should be held in contempt. Stick with fresh and good quality tomato, buffalo mozzarella and basil, and you can't go wrong

petertenthije

Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:58 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The correct style of pizza comes from Naples in Italy. Anything else is an abomination
Yes, those Hawaiian and stuffed crust dishes should be held in contempt. Stick with fresh and good quality tomato, buffalo mozzarella and basil, and you can't go wrong

Unfortunately, I can go wrong with mozzarella as I am allergic to lactose.
But there are other cheeses that are safe to eat. My local pizza place offers gorgonzola as an alternative.

Kno

Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 pm

I tried Detroit style this weekend (In Boston) it was dense but tasty.

LMP737

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
We had a pilot of Italian background and pretty good eater, we headed for to Pizzeria Due on a layover. He ordered the pizza, it sank him like an Titanic hitting the iceberg.

I live in the Seattle metro area now and the pizza out here is just dreadful. Which at my age is probably a good thing, shouldn't be eating it that often anyway. When I go home all bets are off and I have more than my fair share of pizza.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 am

We used to have Travis crews come thru Westover and could not believe how hood real pizza was. They’d drive to Boston’s North End or New Haven to get pizza.

tys777

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:07 am

WA707atMSP wrote:

As one of those expats at the Tigers/ Twins games, I can attest that there is nothing like a buddy's pizza. Have to hit it up every year when I go to a UM football game.

Closest thing in MSP is probably Wrecktangle in the north loop.

tys777

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:09 am

DocLightning wrote:

Thanks Doc! Do you have a preferred type of pan? I know that alone can cause a hot debate.

WA707atMSP

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:31 pm

tys777 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

As one of those expats at the Tigers/ Twins games, I can attest that there is nothing like a buddy's pizza. Have to hit it up every year when I go to a UM football game.

Closest thing in MSP is probably Wrecktangle in the north loop.

I wasn't aware of Wrecktangle. I'll have to try them!

Although I grew up in the Detroit area (Birmingham), I was never foolhardy enough to take the Lions seriously.

My next door neighbor here in Minnesota takes the Vikings so seriously that he screams at his dog after a rough Vikings loss. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice if the Lions beat the Vikings on Sunday, just so I could see my neighbor calling his dog a "stupid s**t".

ER757

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm

LMP737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I live in the Seattle metro area now and the pizza out here is just dreadful. Which at my age is probably a good thing, shouldn't be eating it that often anyway. When I go home all bets are off and I have more than my fair share of pizza.

I'm a transplant from Chicago to Seattle (it's been 31 years now so I am pretty comfortable saying I'm from Seattle) and yes I agree, the pizza here sucks. Rarely have it these days and like you, at my age probably a good thing. Years ago, there was a place in North Bend opened by two guys from Chicago that was worth the drive. But it burned down quite a while ago and it was never rebuilt.

DocLightning

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 pm

tys777 wrote:
Thanks Doc! Do you have a preferred type of pan? I know that alone can cause a hot debate.

I use a 9x13" I've seen 10x14" also used. But it has to have high sides. Your regular baking sheet won't do.

wingman

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:10 pm

A real doctor probably shouldn't be promoting this kind of recipe but I'll try it. I wonder how a round one would come out using a cast iron skillet.

LMP737

Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:55 am

ER757 wrote:

I'm a transplant from Chicago to Seattle (it's been 31 years now so I am pretty comfortable saying I'm from Seattle) and yes I agree, the pizza here sucks. Rarely have it these days and like you, at my age probably a good thing. Years ago, there was a place in North Bend opened by two guys from Chicago that was worth the drive. But it burned down quite a while ago and it was never rebuilt.

Seattle pizza is easy to make. All you need is moldy bread and some dog poop.

LMP737

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:12 am

ER757 wrote:
. Rarely have it these days and like you, at my age probably a good thing. Years ago, there was a place in North Bend opened by two guys from Chicago that was worth the drive. But it burned down quite a while ago and it was never rebuilt.

Probably weren't paying their protection money. Oh wait, that's Chicago not North Bend. ;)

CitizenJustin

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:08 am

Not after trying it yesterday.

rlwynn

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am

It is kind of like all the Bratwurst fans in America who think they are eating the correct thing.

stratosphere

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:49 pm

extender wrote:

Absolutely I am born and raised northern NJ I love thin crust coal fired oven. But I respect other styles around the country. Chicago too much for me I can't eat that much too thick ..

ariel1981

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:25 pm

I never had that particular one,but i like pizza with thick dough

ER757

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:04 pm

LMP737 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
. Rarely have it these days and like you, at my age probably a good thing. Years ago, there was a place in North Bend opened by two guys from Chicago that was worth the drive. But it burned down quite a while ago and it was never rebuilt.

Probably weren't paying their protection money. Oh wait, that's Chicago not North Bend. ;)

:lol:

csturdiv

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:36 am

LMP737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Chicago area expat here who is missing good pizza down here. Chicago pizza is the thin and crispy crust, usually on a bed of semolina and good ones come from bars snd neighborhood pizza shops, no chains.

I try to make a Chicago style pizza and now I want one. Just need to have the rain stop here in Sydney, can't make it out in the rain.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:28 am

Detroit-style pizza is very much a thing. The Pizza Hut version isn’t bad (if it’s cooked right), but it’s not quite “authentic.” Real Detroit-style uses lots of oil and is very greasy - you’d never be able to recycle the box it was in, but Pizza Hut doesn’t use the oil and the box is clean.

Little Ceasars (deep dish) was suppose to be authentic, but it was never made right. I hear they’ve since overhauled the recipe (and raised the price).

bpatus297

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:15 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Detroit-style pizza is very much a thing. The Pizza Hut version isn’t bad (if it’s cooked right), but it’s not quite “authentic.” Real Detroit-style uses lots of oil and is very greasy - you’d never be able to recycle the box it was in, but Pizza Hut doesn’t use the oil and the box is clean.

Little Ceasars (deep dish) was suppose to be authentic, but it was never made right. I hear they’ve since overhauled the recipe (and raised the price).

But the Buddy's boxes make great fire starters! LOL