Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Re: Four wheelers and taxation in India.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:53 pm

Large scale EV adoption (in the US) is pie-in-the-sky for now.
Why? Because the decrepit USA electricity network cannot even provide reliable power right now without constant brown-outs and black-outs (see e.g. California). And now we are supposed to swap tens of millions of gasoline cars for electrical vehicles and hook them up onto the same overloaded network? What do you think will happen??
Cleary, a reliable infrastructure must be developed FIRST, before any conversion to EV on a large scale can be entertained.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am

The above I understand. That is the same case in my country India. From what I understand, most electricity grids were built in the 1960s and 70s and there has been constant patchwork to the systems and almost none of them are bi-directional which is also something that the electricity boards/companies would have to take into account. Many people who would buy a car would also buy a battery charging infrastructure and would love to sell the excess to the utilities. In the UK, afaik or what I have seen on the web, few companies have been doing that, That is the reason they had negative pricing last to last year, current issues not withstanding.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Report.pdf

Moving on. just came to know about Voyah, they are doing 800 volt 400 km. in 10 minutes fast-charging.

https://carnewschina.com/2021/09/28/voy ... 0-minutes/

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:47 am

Also was reading this and read the comments -

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-calls-ch ... 1847694946

M564038

Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:02 pm

You overestimate the hit on the grid.
I oversee the charging-system in our neighborhood of 500 apartments, there is about 110 electric cars “living” here. They are on average Model 3 type cars.

The average draw is about 13kW for the entire system, the year seen as a whole.

Dieuwer wrote:
Large scale EV adoption (in the US) is pie-in-the-sky for now.
Why? Because the decrepit USA electricity network cannot even provide reliable power right now without constant brown-outs and black-outs (see e.g. California). And now we are supposed to swap tens of millions of gasoline cars for electrical vehicles and hook them up onto the same overloaded network? What do you think will happen??
Cleary, a reliable infrastructure must be developed FIRST, before any conversion to EV on a large scale can be entertained.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:04 pm

Just saw this -

https://electrek.co/2021/09/30/egeb-oil ... ebook-ads/

If EXXON hadn't bought the Li-ion battery patent in 1976 - and then suppressed it - we could've been driving EVs 25 years sooner ... the Sony 'Walkman' was the first commercial product with a Li-ion battery ... released in 1991, exactly 25 years later when the patent expired. Chevron/Texaco did something similar in 1999 with the NiMH battery patent through a subsidiary called Cobasys. To this day you can't buy a hybrid with a NiMH battery and a charging plug!

When is it time to hold oil companies accountable for the damage they have done to the health of millions of people and our planet?

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm

The comment below the link is given by Eco Logical. Now, I did some research into that. Apparently, it seems that the invention of John B. Goodfenough. was sold to GM which in turn sold to Exxon where it lay in deep slumber for 25 years. Similar things with the NIMH battery

https://qz.com/338767/the-man-who-broug ... one-at-92/

The GM EV1 story - https://dropyourenergybill.com/electric-vehicles/

ACDC8

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 pm

M564038 wrote:
You overestimate the hit on the grid.
I oversee the charging-system in our neighborhood of 500 apartments, there is about 110 electric cars “living” here. They are on average Model 3 type cars.

The average draw is about 13kW for the entire system, the year seen as a whole.

The latest study from our hydro authority noted that they will need to double our power output if they want to be able to provide enough power to a mass influx in EVs. Now here's the problem that we have that you don't, every time the Government tries to start a new project to bring the required power output up, it gets blocked and protested by climate activists (oh, the irony) and First Nations. We had a heat wave this past summer, and our system was pushed to the point that people were asked not to charge their EVs unless absolutely necessary. That, combined with the threat of massive wildfires that can easily take out wind farms is also a factor that we need to deal with.

M564038

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:39 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
The latest study from our hydro authority noted that they will need to double our power output if they want to be able to provide enough power to a mass influx in EVs. .

Sorry, man! But I see the real numbers! Every day!
Here, and we do as I have said before have the highest density of EVs around, the authorities calculate around a 2% increase. And the real numbers over the last few years support that. I believe those numbers because I see them myself as described above.

I have no idea which magic hat your “hydro authority” pulled that crazy number up from!

ACDC8

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:45 pm

M564038 wrote:

Here, and we do as I have said before have the highest density of EVs around, the authorities calculate around a 2% increase. And the real numbers over the last few years support that. I believe those numbers because I see them myself as described above.

I have no idea which magic hat your “hydro authority” pulled that crazy number up from!

I'm pretty sure that our hydro authority (no idea why you felt the need to put that in quotations) has a much better grasp on their position than you ever will.

We have one project underway now, that will boost our capacity up by a couple of precent but its already delayed by a good 10 years because of the constant squabble with the climate activists and First Nations. But hey, everything is peachy in Norway so that must mean everything is just as peachy every where else, right?

Honestly, do you simply not comprehend that not every part of the world is like Norway or do you just not want to comprehend it? :sarcastic:

M564038

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Do EVs in canada use 25 times more electricity than EVs in Norway?

ACDC8 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Do you honestly not comprehend that not every part of the world is like Norway or do you just not want to comprehend it? :sarcastic:

ACDC8

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 pm

M564038 wrote:

Oh for God's sake. Our current infrastructure is decades behind as is - that is the issue we have. As someone once put it, plugging in a bunch of EVs right now in our current system would be like trying to run a brand-new computer on MS-DOS.

While countries like Norway have invested in their hydro infrastructure for the last 50 years, we sat around twiddling our thumbs thinking its good enough and we'll just deal with it.

M564038

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:11 pm

We have a lousy electricity system. It is a system we share only with albania. It is barely safe and most of the infrastructure is decades upon decades old and especially vulnerable to noisy LEDs and modern electronics and grounding problems. Dreadful.
Still EVs are just a 2% bump. It is the same as replacing 2 or 3 old lightbulbs with LEDs per car.

ACDC8 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Oh for God's sake. Our current infrastructure is decades behind as is - that is the issue we have. As someone once put it, plugging in a bunch of EVs right now in our current system would be like trying to run a brand-new computer on MS-DOS.

While countries like Norway have invested in their hydro infrastructure for the last 50 years, we sat around twiddling our thumbs thinking its good enough and we'll just deal with it.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:33 pm

M564038 wrote:
We have a lousy electricity system. It is a system we share only with albania. It is barely safe and most of the infrastructure is decades upon decades old and especially vulnerable to noisy LEDs and modern electronics and grounding problems. Dreadful.
Still EVs are just a 2% bump. It is the same as replacing 2 or 3 old lightbulbs with LEDs per car.

You can argue all you want about a power system you know nothing about - it doesn't change the fact that our current system is not adequate for a mass push in EVs.
You can argue all you want about "driver profiles" - it doesn't change the fact that not everyones driving lifestyle/requirements fits into your personal belief despite how many "statistics" you find.
You can argue all you want that my next car will be an EV - it doesn't change the fact that it won't be.
You can argue all you want that I'll enjoy an EV - it doesn't change the fact that I won't.
You can argue all you want that you think because things are one way in Norway that it automatically applies to everywhere else in the world - it doesn't change the fact that it isn't.

M564038

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:39 pm

The needs you describe are outliers. Half of every EV ever sold are sold this year. Most car manufacturers has announced a cut-off date for their fossil offerings and will shortly only offer EVs. Electrification of the transport sector is a declared as a goal of most every civilized society on the planet.
I am comfortable with that. You’ll be too when you buy your EV in a couple of years! Hoho!

ACDC8 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

You can argue all you want about a power system you know nothing about - it doesn't change the fact that our current system is not adequate for a mass push in EVs.
You can argue all you want about "driver profiles" - it doesn't change the fact that not everyones driving lifestyle/requirements fits into your personal belief despite how many "statistics" you find.
You can argue all you want that my next car will be an EV - it doesn't change the fact that it won't be.
You can argue all you want that I'll enjoy an EV - it doesn't change the fact that I won't.
You can argue all you want that you think because things are one way in Norway that it automatically applies to everywhere else in the world - it doesn't change the fact that it isn't.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:24 pm

M564038 wrote:
The needs you describe are outliers.

The needs I describe are realities.
M564038 wrote:
Half of every EV ever sold are sold this year.

Not here they aren't, and we are years off from that goal. But since you seem to know our market, needs, infrastructure better than we do, I'm gonna guess you just don't care.
M564038 wrote:
Most car manufacturers has announced a cut-off date for their fossil offerings and will shortly only offer EVs.

Some have and more will in the future, won't be until another generation or two of vehicles.
M564038 wrote:
Electrification of the transport sector is a declared as a goal of most every civilized society on the planet.

Didn't say it wasn't.
M564038 wrote:
I am comfortable with that.

Good for you.
M564038 wrote:
You’ll be too when you buy your EV in a couple of years!

Again, just like a pushy religious fanatic pushing their mantra down people's throat, I (and many others) will not be buying an EV in the the next couple of years and not even in the next 10 years. This is reality versus your fantasy.

M564038

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:20 am

Now you’re down to not responding to what I write, but what you think I write. Thats not working for me.

ACDC8 wrote:
M564038 wrote:
The needs you describe are outliers.

The needs I describe are realities.
M564038 wrote:
Half of every EV ever sold are sold this year.

Not here they aren't, and we are years off from that goal. But since you seem to know our market, needs, infrastructure better than we do, I'm gonna guess you just don't care.
M564038 wrote:
Most car manufacturers has announced a cut-off date for their fossil offerings and will shortly only offer EVs.

Some have and more will in the future, won't be until another generation or two of vehicles.
M564038 wrote:
Electrification of the transport sector is a declared as a goal of most every civilized society on the planet.

Didn't say it wasn't.
M564038 wrote:
I am comfortable with that.

Good for you.
M564038 wrote:
You’ll be too when you buy your EV in a couple of years!

Again, just like a pushy religious fanatic pushing their mantra down people's throat, I (and many others) will not be buying an EV in the the next couple of years and not even in the next 10 years. This is reality versus your fantasy.

ACDC8

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 am

M564038 wrote:
Now you’re down to not responding to what I write, but what you think I write. Thats not working for me.

And exactly where did I not respond to what you wrote?

I addressed every point in your post

:sarcastic:

M564038

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 am

Just now, for instance. I don’t know if you are misunderstanding on purpose or what your game is, but we’ll end it here.
ACDC8 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

And exactly where did I not respond to what you wrote?

I addressed every point in your post

:sarcastic:

ACDC8

Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:18 am

M564038 wrote:
I don’t know if you are misunderstanding on purpose or what your game is,

My game? I asked you which point in your post I did not respond to. But yes, I do believe there is a misunderstanding because you seem to believe I didn't address what you wrote yet I responded to every point in your post. You seem to be quite confused.
M564038 wrote:
but we’ll end it here.
:wave:

pune
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't understand the bit and the fascination about hydro. In the U.S. alone they are actually removing dams and hydro infrastructure -

https://www.americanrivers.org/2019/02/ ... ng-rivers/

Now from what I had understood of Canada, you guys were supposed to be more pro-climate, more climate change activist than U.S., aren't you ??? And I'm talking more about the nation in general rather than individual positions.

ACDC8

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:52 pm

pune wrote:
Now from what I had understood of Canada, you guys were supposed to be more pro-climate, more climate change activist than U.S., aren't you ??? And I'm talking more about the nation in general rather than individual positions.

Don't know, maybe. Politically, our current Government is quite pro-environment, but with the last two elections, they only formed a minority Government with the Conservatives who are not as pro-environment.

As per the general population, its a regional thing, here in BC, we are definitely more pro-environment than Albertans, and even in BC, it gets quite regional, Vancouver and Gulf Islands being the most pro-environment, followed by Metro Vancouver and not so much once you get into the interior.

Personally, I believe that the biggest mistake our Government has done to try and help the environment is introduce carbon taxes, the more you tax people, the more fight you're gonna have, especially when that tax raises your cost of living drastically and then the Prime Minister is busy jetting across the country to go surfing in Tofino several times a year.

The problem with climate change action (at least here) is always the cost factor, and its a delicate balance between the two. As I've mentioned before, the biggest drive getting people out of ICE cars and into EVs is Government rebates, and as we saw here in BC, once those rebates are gone, very few people are interested in EVs because the majority simply can't afford them. The same with the parking/gas guzzler tax I mentioned, the proposal was voted down last week because it will put too many people in too much of a financial hardship.

pune
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I don't think so, there are many many aspects to it, for e.g. see this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTc8fKHCdY

pune
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:47 pm

Now when Uruguay can do it, and it isn't have much money as Canada does, if it can do it, don't see why Canada doesn't if the political will is there. Just as an aside, I remember this story -

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/us-po ... 23079.html

The company in question made the rumor that it was due to solar that fires had become in California, later it was found that it was due to company's own negligence. And as have shared above, there is a consistent push by the oil and gas companies for their survival. Even though in the shell report it was shared by their own scientists that climate change is due to human intervention, temperatures will rise and sea levels will rise by 5 meters or more. That is the reason why Shell raised all their platforms not just 5-10 but much above so that they are not impacted but continue to advertise whataboutery about climate change.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -Document3

pune
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm

And Canada has much land, which is not used, now if they don't want to take any steps into getting into the renewable energy bit, that's entirely their perogative. And the same to do with electric charging network.

https://www.smarttransport.org.uk/news/ ... astructure

pune
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Mike Costello on Chinese cars in Australia -

https://www.carexpert.com.au/opinion/ma ... o-dominate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wCfqSQp8c

I for sure would be tempted by the dolphin/EA1 if it came to India at a good price point. Because of the issues between the two nations, it is doubtful if it will come here though :(

ACDC8

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 am

pune wrote:
Now when Uruguay can do it, and it isn't have much money as Canada does, if it can do it, don't see why Canada doesn't if the political will is there. Just as an aside, I remember this story

It doesn't matter what Uruguay is doing.
It doesn't matter what India is doing.
It doesn't matter what Norway is doing.

The political atmosphere and the general perception towards EVs, climate change in Canada and the taxation towards climate change is what it is - constantly comparing other parts of the world is completely pointless.

pune wrote:
And Canada has much land, which is not used, now if they don't want to take any steps into getting into the renewable energy bit, that's entirely their perogative. And the same to do with electric charging network.

https://www.smarttransport.org.uk/news/ ... astructure

Thats right, it is - so please stop saying "well, they do it here and they do it there".
pune wrote:
I don't understand the bit and the fascination about hydro.

Because its sustainable, economical, clean, consistent, reliable and we have lots of it.

pune
Topic Author

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:43 pm

ACDC8

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 pm

pune wrote:

Curious if any of these trucks did any trial runs through Rogers Pass or up the Coquihalla? 290km range sure won't be a realistic number leaving Revelstoke in the dead of winter.

EV trucks in Canada are coming, but they're a long time away still, at least for non-local only deliveries.

Don't worry, we'll get there, but its unfortunately going to take longer than you believe it will.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:29 am

That probably may be true. In either case until and unless the powers that be don't see any urgency, then nothing will happen, only 'words'.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:14 pm

M564038

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Having tested a lot of EVs, I can attest to the fact that the german's have some way to go before they are as good as Tesla. The software in the ID3/4 is dissapointing, and there are certain other aspcts which just aren't there yet. Same with the Audis and the Merc EQA. However, the coming BMW, the new Mercedes etc. looks quite promising.The Porsche is really good. All in all it is astonishing how much traction this has gotten now.

Still, the Teslas with their central processing, OTA-updates, the best motor and batteries and largest and cheapest charging network, is still a bit ahead.
The germans also have to keep up with the Koreans, which also makes very good cars. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 are more mature EV-products than the Germans make, for the time being.

pune wrote:

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:57 pm

This one is also interesting -

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/19/fo ... lespeople/

So much for legacy way of doing things.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm

M564038

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm

As I said earlier in the thread.
The Jaguar is several years, and the Ioniq 5 does the same only better for more or less half the price. Thats how much things have changed only since 2018.
The i-pace is a nice car(I’ve tried it) but several years old.

pune wrote:

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm

M564038 wrote:
The Jaguar is several years, and the Ioniq 5 does the same only better for more or less half the price. Thats how much things have changed only since 2018.

pune wrote:

The talk is now on this one Leap C11 SUV from China. Have seen quite a few videos raving about it on YT. Presently though, only for the Chinese market :(

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 pm

There was recent news in India about how petrol and diesel costs more than ATF (Aviation Turbine Fuel) which is AFAIK highest in the world. The petrol and diesel prices are higher than htat.

https://www.dailypioneer.com/2021/page1 ... again.html

And this is when India is net exporter of oil. We sell the oil to saudis, the saudis to Americans and Americans sell it right back to us. Then on top of that there is 60% central taxes. Who are the people who are winning in this 'arrangement' is easily known.

M564038

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Those prices are still shockingly low. It is not right to sell gas that cheap with global warming happening.

pune wrote:
There was recent news in India about how petrol and diesel costs more than ATF (Aviation Turbine Fuel) which is AFAIK highest in the world. The petrol and diesel prices are higher than htat.

And this is when India is net exporter of oil. We sell the oil to saudis, the saudis to Americans and Americans sell it right back to us. Then on top of that there is 60% central taxes. Who are the people who are winning in this 'arrangement' is easily known.

pune
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:46 am

M564038 wrote:
Those prices are still shockingly low. It is not right to sell gas that cheap with global warming happening.

pune wrote:

Sure, and then hell to inflation. That is the reason they didn't do the poverty estimate because of the above.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/mo ... id/1819038

https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/ind ... s-research

pune
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:05 am

And unlike other countries India doesn't want cheap electricity prices.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Report.pdf

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 292149.cms

freqflyer

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am

pune wrote:

I hope you know the ATF (JET A-1) is basically kerosene which has always been cheaper than petrol and diesel.

And you say India is a net exporter of Oil !!!!!! Seriously, you need to read in depth before spouting off. India only produces about a fifth of her Oil. The rest is all imported. What are exported are Refined products. Basically we have huge and growing capacities in refining. But very little Crude. And we dont "sell to the Saudis, who sell the same stuff to the Americans who sell it back to us " . It appears you let your personal politics get in the way of clear thinking. Pity.

pune
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 am

freqflyer wrote:
pune wrote:

I hope you know the ATF (JET A-1) is basically kerosene which has always been cheaper than petrol and diesel.

And you say India is a net exporter of Oil !!!!!! Seriously, you need to read in depth before spouting off. India only produces about a fifth of her Oil. The rest is all imported. What are exported are Refined products. Basically we have huge and growing capacities in refining. But very little Crude. And we dont "sell to the Saudis, who sell the same stuff to the Americans who sell it back to us " . It appears you let your personal politics get in the way of clear thinking. Pity.

Can you tell me about this -

https://www.bechtel.com/projects/kg-d6- ... velopment/

This is one of the largest Indian exports.

And then there is deal with Aramco (Saudis) who are gonna buy 20% of RIL

vrbarreto

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 am

M564038 wrote:

pune wrote:

He's mostly talking out of his backside...

1. ota updates are enabled for example on the Defender.. How do I know this? I worked on the project to roll it out..
2. The global chip shortage is affecting production.. Not just that but covid related supply issues.. When we do have the parts for the cars we manufacture them at full pace. Not just affecting JLR.. The VW, Audi and KIA plants here are all suffering from supply chain issues
3. The full electric roll out will take place, at the moment the only EV are made in Graz in Austria and it is low tempo production.. A new battery and powertrain plant are being built as we speak

He's also lying about over the air updates not being implemented:

https://www.jaguar.com/owners_internati ... dates.html

pune
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 am

vrbarreto wrote:
M564038 wrote:

pune wrote:

He's mostly talking out of his backside...

1. ota updates are enabled for example on the Defender.. How do I know this? I worked on the project to roll it out..
2. The global chip shortage is affecting production.. Not just that but covid related supply issues.. When we do have the parts for the cars we manufacture them at full pace. Not just affecting JLR.. The VW, Audi and KIA plants here are all suffering from supply chain issues
3. The full electric roll out will take place, at the moment the only EV are made in Graz in Austria and it is low tempo production.. A new battery and powertrain plant are being built as we speak

He's also lying about over the air updates not being implemented:

https://www.jaguar.com/owners_internati ... dates.html

As far as chip shortage is concerned, there is more than enough blame to go around -

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/09/26/wh ... -shortage/

Then need to clean sheet the designs.

And then there is also this which sort of tells you how the U.S. car industry behaves -

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/19 ... o-madness/

M564038

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:20 pm

I visited the NIO-showroom in Oslo today. It is enormous and in the most expensive spot in town. Packed with people .Not a fan of china in any way, but they are insanely aggressive with their EV-strategy. Can Japan and the US really afford to lose the automotive industry to the chinese? Because thats right around the corner, and every single one of those cars will have cameras and sensors and gather information that will go straight back to the worst totalitarian dystopian government on earth.

pune
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:29 pm

M564038 wrote:
I visited the NIO-showroom in Oslo today. It is enormous and in the most expensive spot in town. Packed with people .Not a fan of china in any way, but they are insanely aggressive with their EV-strategy. Can Japan and the US really afford to lose the automotive industry to the chinese? Because thats right around the corner, and every single one of those cars will have cameras and sensors and gather information that will go straight back to the worst totalitarian dystopian government on earth.

Agreed, but for that the carmakers have to wake themselves up.

Today, I was reading this https://www.motherjones.com/politics/19 ... o-madness/

While it is old, it still tells how at least U.S. car companies operate, then and even now. Instead of rising to the challenges, they only want to delay things as long as possible. And that is not going to help. Most of the carmakers are asleep, apart from Tesla and now somewhat Deiss of VW, but he is only the CEO. Unless the whole culture changes and is backed 100% by the board, don't see them doing much. If you look back at history, you see that all the players had more than their fair chance to get into EV. Hell, Ford had as many as 3 chances, but yet each time they chose to squander. They could have been where Tesla is today. If Ford had played that game nicely, who knows Tesla wouldn't have been into existence at all. The Technology of EV was there in the 1890s but was discouraged actively. Even with Goodhouse discovered/invented lithium-ion in the 1970s, it was put to sleep till 20-30 years by the same people.

These afe people who are more worried about bottom-lines than saving lives of people. Sadly, it was true then, it is true now :(

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:37 am

There are millions of desirable ICE vehicles ready to be restored and driven. I know of several restorers that can deliver a virtually new 1994 W124 Mercedes. I’m not driving an EV any time soon.

I can’t imagine sitting 10 km/hr Mumbai traffic with the AC going full blast to keep the smells, humidity and pollution out watching nervously as the battery drains away.

M564038

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:52 am

That would have been all good and fine if it weren’t for, you know, the tiny little problem of climate change and local air pollution.

A/C going full blast on a modern EV will last you 3-4 days, so that should make most rush hour traffic doable.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There are millions of desirable ICE vehicles ready to be restored and driven. I know of several restorers that can deliver a virtually new 1994 W124 Mercedes. I’m not driving an EV any time soon.

I can’t imagine sitting 10 km/hr Mumbai traffic with the AC going full blast to keep the smells, humidity and pollution out watching nervously as the battery drains away.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:20 pm

And we forget that ICE vehicles bring diseases such as cancer -

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ancer.html

I am sure that is not the way any of us wanna go.

M564038

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Hertz. The car rental company bought 100,000(!) Teslas today.
Tell me again how EVs is not happening;-)

ACDC8

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:59 am

M564038 wrote:
Hertz. The car rental company bought 100,000(!) Teslas today.
Tell me again how EVs is not happening;-)

Nobody said that, what was said is that the timeframe you propose is simply unrealistic.

There are almost 1.5 billion cars on the road today, and for many of the owners of those cars, right now, EVs are not a viable option :yes: