Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Re: Crazy MLB Postseason / Wildcard Draw - Predictions?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:56 am

None of the 100-win clubs advance to the WS this year. And the 88-win Braves dispatched the Dodgers without needing to go 7 games, and $110 million less in payroll. What a ride.

Newark727

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:57 am

The way they were racking up injuries, the Dodgers would have been starting the ball boy in game 2 if they'd made it to the World Series anyway.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:58 am

Newark727 wrote:
The way they were racking up injuries, the Dodgers would have been starting the ball boy in game 2 if they'd made it to the World Series anyway.

What's all that payroll for if not to have a deep roster? :D

In seriousness though, Roberts obviously mismanaged the rotation. Buehler and Urias lost their effectiveness, and Scherzer's arm is just plain bombed out.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:59 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

What's all that payroll for if not to have a deep roster? :D

It's all to pay Trevor Bauer to not pitch, apparently.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:00 am

True - nearly $30 million this year just for him. Looks like he wasn't worth it.

Edited the last post by the way, a bit late on my part.

Newark727

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 am

Eh, Roberts is lousy at managing tight leads, but the pitching staff was being asked to provide miracles night after night. If the offense had been remotely consistent, they'd have needed to be just good, rather than perfect. I don't think I've ever seen a team before where getting the bases loaded was such a surefire rally killer.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:11 am

Newark727 wrote:
Eh, Roberts is lousy at managing tight leads, but the pitching staff was being asked to provide miracles night after night. If the offense had been remotely consistent, they'd have needed to be just good, rather than perfect. I don't think I've ever seen a team before where getting the bases loaded was such a surefire rally killer.

Fair point - an awful lot of swinging for bombs when finding a hole is the better approach.

zakuivcustom

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Dirty cheaters. Well, guess we'll get to see how good they are without their trashcans...

Lol when the trash can master is in the Red Sox dugout...

As an Astros fan I am glad the Braves win. Screw the Dodgers and their overpay team. Dave Roberts is forever my hero though for being such a crap manager.

LittleFokker

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Haven't been paying too close attention to the playoffs,, but I need some clarification/insight into this...

I have certainly seen plenty of anti-Astros sentiment related to their tainted 2017 win. But what I haven't seen is any nuanced analysis detailing just how big of a deal their scandal really was. I get that coordinated pitch tipping is against the spirit and rules of baseball, but how does that compare to the Black Sox throwing the WS to gamblers? How about Pete Rose gambling on baseball? Or any of the teams who won a title during the steroid era? What about players who physically or sexually violate someone else?

If you don't want the Astros to win, fine - I'm just trying to get a sense of where that scandal falls on the "shitty things a team or player could do to cause someone to turn against you" spectrum.

Newark727

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:39 am

You're sort of asking two different questions here. You can estimate some sort of quantitative conclusion w/r/t sign stealing - how many runs the Astros scored they wouldn't have otherwise, games that may have been influenced. But that's not possible with players accused of crimes off the field, by definition that has nothing to do with the outcome of games.

Having ads for DraftKings every two innings and TBS' broadcasters giving the odds for Eddie Rosario's home run distance live on air sort of takes the scandal out of gambling. I didn't used to think this, but to hell with it, reinstate Pete Rose, to do otherwise at this point is massively hypocritical.

FGITD

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:14 am

Newark727 wrote:
You're sort of asking two different questions here. You can estimate some sort of quantitative conclusion w/r/t sign stealing - how many runs the Astros scored they wouldn't have otherwise, games that may have been influenced. But that's not possible with players accused of crimes off the field, by definition that has nothing to do with the outcome of games.

Having ads for DraftKings every two innings and TBS' broadcasters giving the odds for Eddie Rosario's home run distance live on air sort of takes the scandal out of gambling. I didn't used to think this, but to hell with it, reinstate Pete Rose, to do otherwise at this point is massively hypocritical.

I think the reason the Astros get as much hate as they do is because after being caught using a massive advantage to win a World Series (otherwise known as cheating) you had some fines and suspensions handed out…and that was it. The commissioner himself called the trophy just “a piece of metal” which undermines everyone who’s legitimately won it.

Bringing up Pete Rose just points to the hypocrisy of baseball. Historically speaking major cheating/influence over the game has had one result. A lifetime ban. But the Astros get to continue on and still be a solid team.

The advertisements get me. “Hey it’s MLB! We banned numerous players in the past for this very thing, but now is your chance to get great odds on how many times the pitcher scratches his crotch in the first inning! Place your bets now!”

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:24 am

FGITD wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

I think the reason the Astros get as much hate as they do is because after being caught using a massive advantage to win a World Series (otherwise known as cheating) you had some fines and suspensions handed out…and that was it. The commissioner himself called the trophy just “a piece of metal” which undermines everyone who’s legitimately won it.

Bringing up Pete Rose just points to the hypocrisy of baseball. Historically speaking major cheating/influence over the game has had one result. A lifetime ban. But the Astros get to continue on and still be a solid team.

The advertisements get me. “Hey it’s MLB! We banned numerous players in the past for this very thing, but now is your chance to get great odds on how many times the pitcher scratches his crotch in the first inning! Place your bets now!”

Manfred's administration has been positively feckless on a number of fronts - this just happens to be the worst example.

FGITD

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Manfred's administration has been positively feckless on a number of fronts - this just happens to be the worst example.

Just happens to be the worst example doesn’t even begin to cover it. He’s the commissioner of the league and basically said who cares that they cheated? Not us. It’s just a stupid trophy

Compare that to the NHL for example. They speak of and hold the cup as if it’s a relic. Of course then they proceed to drink from it, throw it in lakes etc…but that’s once they’ve earned it.