Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Marijuana found on Amtrak train before fatal shooting in Tucson

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 pm

https://www.kold.com/2021/10/05/marijua ... ng-tucson/

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said members of the Pima County Counter Narcotics Alliance boarded the train to do a check for money, drugs and firearms. The agents, who were following up on a tip, had been provided a list of names, and both Mathis and D.T. were on that list.

An agent said he saw Mathis get up and move several bags further away from himself. When asked about them, Mathis allegedly denied they were his. Agents said the bags were searched and more than five pounds of marijuana and 50 3.5-gram bags of edibles were found.

------------------------------------------------------------

Pot is legal in some states. I don't think the cops handled the shake down of the pot dealers well. But a cop died, so getting to that is at the bottom of the media's list of things to cover, I'd suspect.

Now comes the inevitable discussions of more security at all trains stations... like that's even practical!

SL1200MK2

Re: Marijuana found on Amtrak train before fatal shooting in Tucson

Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Don't get me wrong as I do understand that some news sources can be a bit skewed. However, I read the article and it seems like the majority of what was covered dealt with the police and them being shot. Did I miss something?

N1120A

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 am

Oh noes, devil's lettuce! Can we stop warehousing and killing people over plants please?

Aaron747

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:43 am

N1120A wrote:
Oh noes, devil's lettuce! Can we stop warehousing and killing people over plants please?

Seriously - DEA should not be losing staff over a plant bust. Going after major warehouses full of keys of heroin and coke...different story.

THS214

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:15 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said members of the Pima County Counter Narcotics Alliance boarded the train to do a check for money, drugs and firearms. The agents, who were following up on a tip, had been provided a list of names, and both Mathis and D.T. were on that list.

An agent said he saw Mathis get up and move several bags further away from himself. When asked about them, Mathis allegedly denied they were his. Agents said the bags were searched and more than five pounds of marijuana and 50 3.5-gram bags of edibles were found.

Pot is legal in some states. I don't think the cops handled the shake down of the pot dealers well. But a cop died, so getting to that is at the bottom of the media's list of things to cover, I'd suspect.

Now comes the inevitable discussions of more security at all trains stations... like that's even practical!

So how did the police officer get killed? I can't find that from your post nor the link.

N1120A

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Seriously - DEA should not be losing staff over a plant bust. Going after major warehouses full of keys of heroin and coke...different story.

You know, there is a way to prevent having major warehouses full of heroin, fentanyl and coke...

Aaron747

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:14 pm

N1120A wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N1120A wrote:

You know, there is a way to prevent having major warehouses full of heroin, fentanyl and coke...

Oh yes, but the red staters will never let us go there because Portugal and the Netherlands are 'smaller' and we can't replicate that here. :boggled:

seb146

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:47 pm

THS214 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

So how did the police officer get killed? I can't find that from your post nor the link.

Allegedly, one of the suspects shot he and another officer. One suspect was shot and killed, the other has been charged with intent to distribute 50 kilos of marijuana.

And, I agree: it is legal in so many states now, just take it off schedule 1 so things like this stop happening. Over a plant.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N1120A wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Oh yes, but the red staters will never let us go there because Portugal and the Netherlands are 'smaller' and we can't replicate that here. :boggled:

Because history, culture, geography and demography have zero to do with outcomes. The Dutch likeconfotmiyy and believe in doe normal, do normal. How would that play in the US?

N1120A

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:01 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Because history, culture, geography and demography have zero to do with outcomes. The Dutch likeconfotmiyy and believe in doe normal, do normal. How would that play in the US?

Portugal and the Netherlands have significantly different geography, demography and culture. They only share being seafaring nations and eating fish. That's completely irrelevant.

petertenthije

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:20 pm

N1120A wrote:
They only share being seafaring nations and eating fish. That's completely irrelevant.

We’ll happily take back New Amsterdam. ;)

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:38 pm

petertenthije wrote:
N1120A wrote:
They only share being seafaring nations and eating fish. That's completely irrelevant.

Well, the Treaty of Breda gave your lot Suriname, of course you’d take NYC back.

To N1120A.

My point was those comparing the US (“red staters”) to Portugal and Netherlands regarding drug policies. America could not have their drug policies for reasons of our culture, geography, history and demography—path dependence is a thing.

N1120A

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Well, the Treaty of Breda gave your lot Suriname, of course you’d take NYC back.

To N1120A.

My point was those comparing the US (“red staters”) to Portugal and Netherlands regarding drug policies. America could not have their drug policies for reasons of our culture, geography, history and demography—path dependence is a thing.

If you mean the rank racism of US drug policy is the "culture," you would be correct.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:30 pm

N1120A wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

To N1120A.

If you mean the rank racism of US drug policy is the "culture," you would be correct.

Nonsense, no law has been written stating, “(insert race, religion, here) using these drugs are unlawful”. Users decide what drug to take in violation of that law. How the law was enforced necessarily targeted different groups in different ways. Don’t be a drug user, you don’t violate the law, you’re not gonna be in the dock. It’s really simple to avoid legal problems, don’t violate the law. RICO caught up lots of people of Sicilian background and put them away for very long terms. Was it anti-Italian and ethnic discrimination?

petertenthije

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Dutch like conformity … How would that play in the US?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Don’t be a drug user, you don’t violate the law, you’re not gonna be in the dock. It’s really simple to avoid legal problems, don’t violate the law.

I see you got an appetite for conformity. Do you even see the irony?

Aaron747

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
How the law was enforced necessarily targeted different groups in different ways. Don’t be a drug user, you don’t violate the law, you’re not gonna be in the dock. It’s really simple to avoid legal problems, don’t violate the law.

Anytime someone reduces these complex issues to a simpleton standard, it only says they have never studied psychology or poverty, much less talked to anyone from communities ravaged by things like meth or crack.

Marijuana is still illegal in Texas, but I doubt you’re going to tell us Elon Musk and Joe Rogan are choosing to ‘violate the law’.

And no, RICO drives are not an example of racism. But this is: NYPD looking the other way on wealthy white cocaine possession at every nightclub throughout the city while cracking down on crack possession in the projects. That was SOP in the 80s.

THS214

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am

seb146 wrote:
THS214 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Allegedly, one of the suspects shot he and another officer. One suspect was shot and killed, the other has been charged with intent to distribute 50 kilos of marijuana.

And, I agree: it is legal in so many states now, just take it off schedule 1 so things like this stop happening. Over a plant.

Thanks, Seb

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N1120A wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The Netherlands and Portugal are bigger than many US states.

N1120A

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N1120A wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

To N1120A.

Nonsense, no law has been written stating, “(insert race, religion, here) using these drugs are unlawful”. Users decide what drug to take in violation of that law. How the law was enforced necessarily targeted different groups in different ways. Don’t be a drug user, you don’t violate the law, you’re not gonna be in the dock. It’s really simple to avoid legal problems, don’t violate the law. RICO caught up lots of people of Sicilian background and put them away for very long terms. Was it anti-Italian and ethnic discrimination?

LOL, keep going with that full ostrich effect.

There actually was a xenophobic/racist underpinning to RICO and the attempts to remove power from the Sicilian mafia. That said, there is no question that drug laws have blatantly been used to target POC and that continues to this very day.