Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mental Illness in America Part Deux: WV Man Kills Pharmacist Brother Over Vaccines

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:38 pm

So in addition to the crazy and immature behavior at school board meetings, hospitals etc. we now have family homicides inspired by mis/disinformation in collision with the mentally ill.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/jeffrey- ... /37886250#

It’s hard to make this stuff up. The accused in this story wanted to confront his pharmacist brother about being part of an assumed COVID vaccine conspiracy, kills him and his wife, then another unrelated woman. America, can we have that discussion about mental illness yet?

Nice to see the Gofundme for the slain couple’s kids is going well.

scbriml

Re: Mental Illness in America Part Deux: WV Man Kills Pharmacist Brother Over Vaccines

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:41 pm

As an American ex-colleague of mine used to say "Only in America!"

Derico

Re: Mental Illness in America Part Deux: WV Man Kills Pharmacist Brother Over Vaccines

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:59 am

It's very simple. And this is not a problem only in the USA but most of the world now. In this era, people need only to listen to what they wish to hear, and whatever that "what" is becomes their only acceptable mode of reality. When confronted with something or someone that directly challenges what they have been hearing for months or years on end, it becomes unacceptable. Particularly when you have no mechanism to defend that reality from skepticism (since there was no need to defend your beliefs as they were never challenged in your virtual bubble).

This phenomenon is not that different from Plato's cave. And this same phenomenon (crudely called "brainwashing"), is the basis for almost all religious extremism and other forms of ideological intolerance since the dawn of history. The problem today is that anyone can create this noxious environment within their own personal confines, there is no need for any organized apparatus (like a religion or an affiliation). A podcast by one anonymous but persuasive individual does the trick. This is why all over the world, moderation and acceptance of dissenting views is at the very least not advancing forward, and in many places regressing.

The particular problem in the USA is that the phenomenon there is amplified by the baleful mixture of a non-existent safety net, medical and mental care in particular, with the more than generous sprinkling of warfare grade weaponry, and rampant abuse of mind-altering drugs, both recreational and medical.

stratosphere

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:57 pm

scbriml wrote:

Don't get too much on your high horse. .Plenty of sociopaths in your country too only they use a knife

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Derico wrote:
It's very simple. And this is not a problem only in the USA but most of the world now. In this era, people need only to listen to what they wish to hear, and whatever that "what" is becomes their only acceptable mode of reality. When confronted with something or someone that directly challenges what they have been hearing for months or years on end, it becomes unacceptable. Particularly when you have no mechanism to defend that reality from skepticism (since there was no need to defend your beliefs as they were never challenged in your virtual bubble).

This phenomenon is not that different from Plato's cave. And this same phenomenon (crudely called "brainwashing"), is the basis for almost all religious extremism and other forms of ideological intolerance since the dawn of history. The problem today is that anyone can create this noxious environment within their own personal confines, there is no need for any organized apparatus (like a religion or an affiliation). A podcast by one anonymous but persuasive individual does the trick. This is why all over the world, moderation and acceptance of dissenting views is at the very least not advancing forward, and in many places regressing.

The particular problem in the USA is that the phenomenon there is amplified by the baleful mixture of a non-existent safety net, medical and mental care in particular, with the more than generous sprinkling of warfare grade weaponry, and rampant abuse of mind-altering drugs, both recreational and medical.

Incisive and insightful analysis there. Hard to disagree

FGITD

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:37 pm

stratosphere wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Don't get too much on your high horse. .Plenty of sociopaths in your country too only they use a knife

By pretty much every available murder metric, the UK is ahead of the US despite this constant claim that knives are as deadly as guns

GDB

Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 am

FGITD wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
scbriml wrote:

By pretty much every available murder metric, the UK is ahead of the US despite this constant claim that knives are as deadly as guns

Another fantasy, I know the US is the home of Hollywood and Disneyland but c'mon, US at 55, UK at 124 and just look at where you are in relation to the countries generally above the US and the ones below. What was it again your disgraced former President called countries like that?

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings

A few months ago, we had a mass shooting, one man with a legal shotgun killed several others, a huge shocking event, including a young child, headlines for days, a major investigation into why the perp, who got his shotgun taken off him after a violent, (without the gun) incident last year and why it was returned. Because it was so unusual, as it is in actual civilized first world nations generally.
Which I was surprised to see gun nuts not crowing about, but it was the first in a decade.

School shootings? One, in 1996, none since. Try getting a similar (9mm pistol) weapon legally after that. Since the public have an aversion, unlike many in the US it seems, to the mass slaughter of kids in school, If it means a bit more in the way of checks. Hence British lawmakers HAD to respond to public anger, as they did in Australia the same year. No gun industry lobby groups buying/bribing lawmakers in these cases. No fake historical justification, two centuries past it's sell by date.
Not a claim, reality.
Derico's additional points about the additional factors being well made too. Not least with cartels like the Sackler one.

Yes, knife crime IS a problem, but try doing a, well there are so many mass shootings to choose from isn't there, with a knife.
The Vegas one, Sandy Hook (which in the eyes of some in the US, was a fake up), the cinemas, nightclubs, workplaces, ('going postal', where did that come from again?)

Derico

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Derico wrote:

Incisive and insightful analysis there. Hard to disagree

Example here:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/ ... ay-vpx.cnn

While I firmly believe these protesters to be wrong on the facts, and even more grotesquely off-base in their silly interpretations of wearing a simple cloth mask.... if I was that parent I would not have become flustered or agitated. I would just tell the child that in the country one lives in there exists a right to disagree, and to publicly show that disagreement, that it is not personal against you. That one day you may feel the need to also voice yourself and that it is wonderful to keep that tradition. A teaching moment of sorts to recover values of both accepting the rights of others, and quite frankly, of growing a little thicker skin.

I feel part of the problem is also just the pure exaggeration people engage in these days, it reminds me of what people need to do on social media to get attention. A mask is rape? Do any of them actually sit down for 30 seconds and repeat that phrase calmly, compare that idea to an actual rape, and spit out a re-analysis of that conclusion?

But again, those people likely only listen to very selective pieces of commentary, and such outlets will never offer a counter-view.

mxaxai

Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:20 pm

scbriml wrote:

Not quite. Just a few weeks ago, a guy in Germany shot and killed a cashier who asked him to wear a mask, with the intention to "make a statement against oppression".

Conspiracy nutcases are found around the world. Though I suppose access to guns is easier in some countries.

Drafran

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:45 am

mxaxai wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Though I suppose access to guns is easier in some countries.

Ya think?

Google the crime statistics of other major western nations and then compare them to the U.S.

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
So in addition to the crazy and immature behavior at school board meetings, hospitals etc. we now have family homicides inspired by mis/disinformation in collision with the mentally ill.

It’s hard to make this stuff up. The accused in this story wanted to confront his pharmacist brother about being part of an assumed COVID vaccine conspiracy, kills him and his wife, then another unrelated woman. America, can we have that discussion about mental illness yet?

Please, there is nothing wrong with what is going on at the school boards. Nice use of a current talking point though. Upset parents are getting emotional when confronting the elected school boards who are not listening to what they want. Aren't elected officials supposed to work for the people, not towards their agenda? As far as I know, all school boards are non-partisan (at least in name). I guess those days are long gone....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 035611001/

Willjet

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:21 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Please, there is nothing wrong with what is going on at the school boards. Nice use of a current talking point though. Upset parents are getting emotional when confronting the elected school boards who are not listening to what they want. Aren't elected officials supposed to work for the people, not towards their agenda? As far as I know, all school boards are non-partisan (at least in name). I guess those days are long gone....

Oh the irony, you guys politicize everything. Vaccines aren't political in other countries. Even Australia - the origin of Murdoch is hitting 80+% rates and our conservative liberal party pushing the vaccines.

RIP to the couple.

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:23 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

There is plenty going wrong at the school boards. They are being hijacked by folks that are being lied to by right wing media. If they are so concerned about the curriculum they should go ahead and send their kids to private schools or home school , instead of openly flouting lies at the behest of the right wing foundations that are currently pushing the anit-crt hysteria.

As for this issue, it is mental illness all the way to get so far gone that you wish to kill your own brother over a lie pushed on media and social platforms that are not on the level with Truth and science. Misinformation and corrupt media have lead to some damaging behaviors, and I hope at some point that they get the lawsuits to pay for the damage. As for this family. There is going to be nothing but pain going forward.

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

There is plenty going wrong at the school boards. They are being hijacked by folks that are being lied to by right wing media. If they are so concerned about the curriculum they should go ahead and send their kids to private schools or home school , instead of openly flouting lies at the behest of the right wing foundations that are currently pushing the anit-crt hysteria.

As for this issue, it is mental illness all the way to get so far gone that you wish to kill your own brother over a lie pushed on media and social platforms that are not on the level with Truth and science. Misinformation and corrupt media have lead to some damaging behaviors, and I hope at some point that they get the lawsuits to pay for the damage. As for this family. There is going to be nothing but pain going forward.

So you mean to tell me that tax payers shouldn't have a say in what schools funded by tax dollars teach? If that is your stance, I want the option to keep my portion of the funding for the school and send my kids elsewhere. Weather or not CRT is being taught is far from being established. There is evidence to both, which tells me its being taught some places and not others. But you are being disingenuous and sancatamous to say that it's "anti-CRT hysteria".

If there are issues at school boards, its a local law enforcement issue, not a DOJ/FBI issue. This is 100% a scare tactic. The Feds have zero jurisdiction at a local school board.

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

So you mean to tell me that tax payers shouldn't have a say in what schools funded by tax dollars teach? If that is your stance, I want the option to keep my portion of the funding for the school and send my kids elsewhere. Weather or not CRT is being taught is far from being established. There is evidence to both, which tells me its being taught some places and not others. But you are being disingenuous and sancatamous to say that it's "anti-CRT hysteria".

If there are issues at school boards, its a local law enforcement issue, not a DOJ/FBI issue. This is 100% a scare tactic. The Feds have zero jurisdiction at a local school board.

You are twisting a discussion that should be in another thread. No., the Taxpayers should not get a say if they are pushing a racist agenda that is being endorsed by dark money and media on the right.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:02 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Okay Frank Drebin, sure - ‘nothing to see here’ right? School board members are getting death threats out there and on any local channel around the country you can find people losing their minds at these meetings. Post something from a reputable source showing this *isn’t* happening and I’ll gladly stand corrected. :shakehead:

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You are twisting a discussion that should be in another thread. No., the Taxpayers should not get a say if they are pushing a racist agenda that is being endorsed by dark money and media on the right.

Why should it be in another thread? That is partially what the heated school boards are about. It's engrained in this discussion. What racist agenda is being endorsed? Anti-CRT isn't racist, CRT specifically states that all while people are racist.......sounds pretty racist to me.

GDB

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:40 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Your mate Carlson and the rest at FOX, not to mention the even more rabidly stupid far right mob, have been pushing conspiracy BS, of course at FOX they have to observe the very preventive protocols they call out in their conspiracy mongering.
Murdoch himself got vaccinated in the UK on the taxpayer, of course.
Do as they lie to you, not as they do, know your place generally.

And to try and pretend there are no effects from all this, from Trump's early dismissal of the pandemic in 2020, to the increasingly deranged crap they spill out, will have no effect with the gullible, stupid, plain old racist, good luck with that.
Unless you really think it's Bill Gates, or the Jews, or the Democrats, or Dr Fauci, or China, or the WHO, or just ordinary health workers trying to their best, or those responsible for the safety of kids in their charge in school hours - something I suspect is an alien concept to you

Meanwhile, nearly a year since the first vaccines emerged from testing to use, guess where in the US by far and away the least vaccinated and most dead are? The biggest Trump voting counties,

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:43 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Why should it be in another thread? That is partially what the heated school boards are about. It's engrained in this discussion. What racist agenda is being endorsed? Anti-CRT isn't racist, CRT specifically states that all while people are racist.......sounds pretty racist to me.

And you are repeating one of the lies about CRT. Maybe you are right that it does belong in a mental illness thread. But that would expand this to what effect does media have on mental illness in this country when misinformation is spread. Which I would still argues is another thread.

Below is more information on what CRT is, and why you really would not find much of it in most K-12 schools.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj ... ce-theory/

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:48 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Blatantly and demonstrably false - it is a legal analysis of institutional failures to apply law equally and often in favor of white community interests. It doesn't say anywhere near what you claim it does.

Mental illness is the topic though - I guess the emotional reactions to readily-gobbled misinformation can certainly qualify as such over time :boggled:

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Okay Frank Drebin, sure - ‘nothing to see here’ right? School board members are getting death threats out there and on any local channel around the country you can find people losing their minds at these meetings. Post something from a reputable source showing this *isn’t* happening and I’ll gladly stand corrected. :shakehead:

A vast majority didn't involve threats. A heated debate is not a threat. Again, If they rise to the level of threat, that's a local LE issue. What is so hard to understand about that? And as of this morning, at least two states (including VA) has said they didn't ask the Association of School Boards to file the letter. VA is one of the most publicized states, particularly Loudoun County, in this whole thing, Again losing their minds is not a threat. When school boards refuse to let people talk or shut off the mic there are generally in violation of the public hearings acts. Heck, some school boards have started to have private meetings, which is just about always a violation of the public hearings acts. Again, these are the tax payers in those districts. A lot on here are okay with Sen Senima being harassed in the bathroom, so why wouldn't you be oaky with the FBI starting files on parents who are feed up with what is happening in public schools.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:52 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

A vast majority didn't involve threats. A heated debate is not a threat. Again, If they rise to the level of threat, that's a local LE issue. What is so hard to understand about that? And as of this morning, at least two states (including VA) has said they didn't ask the Association of School Boards to file the letter. VA is one of the most publicized states, particularly Loudoun County, in this whole thing, Again losing their minds is not a threat. When school boards refuse to let people talk or shut off the mic there are generally in violation of the public hearings acts. Heck, some school boards have started to have private meetings, which is just about always a violation of the public hearings acts. Again, these are the tax payers in those districts. A lot on here are okay with Sen Senima being harassed in the bathroom, so why wouldn't you be oaky with the FBI starting files on parents who are feed up with what is happening in public schools.

I didn't say the majority were threatening - your words, not mine. In the OP though I stated that a lot of this behavior was 'crazy and immature' and that has been borne out by observation and what's reported out there. There is nothing mature about shouting obscenities at local officials, insulting them personally, accosting JHS and HS students for wearing masks, etc. It's all total hyperemotional childishness.

And I criticized others in another thread for suggesting harassing Senator Sinema was justifiable - you can look it up.

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I didn't say the majority were threatening - your words, not mine. In the OP though I stated that a lot of this behavior was 'crazy and immature' and that has been borne out by observation and what's reported out there. There is nothing mature about shouting obscenities at local officials, insulting them personally, accosting JHS and HS students for wearing masks, etc. It's all total hyperemotional childishness.

And I criticized others in another thread for suggesting harassing Senator Sinema was justifiable - you can look it up.

So, do you support the FBI "looking" into this behavior?

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

When there are death threats across state lines, who do you suggest looks into it?

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:17 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

When there are death threats across state lines, who do you suggest looks into it?

No they were not. So do you support the FBI taking charge of this?

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:57 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Yes I do if it is a federal issue. As posited below and not refuted. Right wing national outlets and social media companies continue to spread misinformation. But since the misinformation continues, and i am sure you haven't read the actual edict from Garland. Here goes.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... d-teachers

Citing an increase in harassment, intimidation and threats of violence against school board members, teachers and workers in our nation’s public schools, today Attorney General Merrick B. Garland directed the FBI and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices to meet in the next 30 days with federal, state, Tribal, territorial and local law enforcement leaders to discuss strategies for addressing this disturbing trend. These sessions will open dedicated lines of communication for threat reporting, assessment and response by law enforcement.

“Threats against public servants are not only illegal, they run counter to our nation’s core values,” wrote Attorney General Garland. “Those who dedicate their time and energy to ensuring that our children receive a proper education in a safe environment deserve to be able to do their work without fear for their safety.”

bpatus297

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Yes I do if it is a federal issue. As posited below and not refuted. Right wing national outlets and social media companies continue to spread misinformation. But since the misinformation continues, and i am sure you haven't read the actual edict from Garland. Here goes.

Citing an increase in harassment, intimidation and threats of violence against school board members, teachers and workers in our nation’s public schools, today Attorney General Merrick B. Garland directed the FBI and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices to meet in the next 30 days with federal, state, Tribal, territorial and local law enforcement leaders to discuss strategies for addressing this disturbing trend. These sessions will open dedicated lines of communication for threat reporting, assessment and response by law enforcement.

“Threats against public servants are not only illegal, they run counter to our nation’s core values,” wrote Attorney General Garland. “Those who dedicate their time and energy to ensuring that our children receive a proper education in a safe environment deserve to be able to do their work without fear for their safety.”

Its funny you think its only "right wing" spreading misinformation.

casinterest

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:42 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I worry about the biggest problems first.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:01 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

You either have a source showing this nutty behavior by supposed adults isn’t happening as reported, or you don’t. That simple.

This particular issue of school board meetings gone amok is not misinformation by left or any other wing.

bpatus297

Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You either have a source showing this nutty behavior by supposed adults isn’t happening as reported, or you don’t. That simple.

This particular issue of school board meetings gone amok is not misinformation by left or any other wing.

You either support the FBI getting involved in State and Local issues or you don't. That simple.

I never said that the school board hearings were not getting heated. I doubt the amount of threats being claimed. And it just broke that the Loudoun County VA superintendent covered up two rapes AT SCHOOLS in the district while pushing a left leaning ideology. Maybe the parents have a good reason to be getting worked up. The superintendent needs to be, at minimum, fired.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

You either support the FBI getting involved in State and Local issues or you don't. That simple.

I never said that the school board hearings were not getting heated. I doubt the amount of threats being claimed. And it just broke that the Loudoun County VA superintendent covered up two rapes AT SCHOOLS in the district while pushing a left leaning ideology. Maybe the parents have a good reason to be getting worked up. The superintendent needs to be, at minimum, fired.

You be the judge.

https://nsba.org/-/media/NSBA/File/nsba ... -92921.pdf

casinterest

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

This right here is why the DOJ and state and federal officials have to get involved. There are far too many people from out of town claiming bogus things about what did and did not happen at a school in a district you are not from.

bpatus297

Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

You be the judge.

So again, why is this a Federal issue and not a local law enforcement issue? I saw a couple accusations of threats, the rest of the articles (without looking them up) appeared to be about disorderly and contentious meetings. So what. If a threat was made, let the locals handle it. People are finally pushing back against politicians who are not listening to anything the constituents say. Politicians quite caring about us peons years and years ago. They pretend to care every couple years to get reelected, that's it. School boards are supposed to be non-partisan, but they are far from it at a lot of localities.

bpatus297

Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:46 am

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

This right here is why the DOJ and state and federal officials have to get involved. There are far too many people from out of town claiming bogus things about what did and did not happen at a school in a district you are not from.

Nice try. I am 100% percent in that district and have children in the affected schools. What say you now? I could fill you in on more details that the media is conveniently leaving out if you like, but you would just claim some BS that I don't know what I am talking about. Still, what jurisdiction does the FBI have for this behavior?

It sounds an awful lot like you think that anyone who has an option or conversation about things where they don't live or are directly involved in should have the FBI investigate them. That's a little authoritarian, don't' you think? Last time I checked we still have freedoms in this county that allow anyone to comment on anything they want.

extender

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:25 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
It sounds an awful lot like you think that anyone who has an option or conversation about things where they don't live or are directly involved in should have the FBI investigate them. That's a little authoritarian, don't' you think? Last time I checked we still have freedoms in this county that allow anyone to comment on anything they want.

So why weren't all the out of state troublemakers arrested or at least questioned last year during all the fabricated protests and riots? This is not directed at bpatus297.

bpatus297

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:35 pm

extender wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

So why weren't all the out of state troublemakers arrested or at least questioned last year during all the fabricated protests and riots? This is not directed at bpatus297.

I was thinking that and going to say it, but I left my comments to the school boards.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm

extender wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Good question for the Trump DOJ.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:51 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

You be the judge.

So again, why is this a Federal issue and not a local law enforcement issue? I saw a couple accusations of threats, the rest of the articles (without looking them up) appeared to be about disorderly and contentious meetings. So what. If a threat was made, let the locals handle it. People are finally pushing back against politicians who are not listening to anything the constituents say. Politicians quite caring about us peons years and years ago. They pretend to care every couple years to get reelected, that's it. School boards are supposed to be non-partisan, but they are far from it at a lot of localities.

Perhaps you didn't read the NSBA statement carefully enough - to me they were clearly implying that national, organized propaganda is driving the behavior leading to threats, hence the need for federal investigation. They have identified it as something larger than a local issue.

bpatus297

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Perhaps you didn't read the NSBA statement carefully enough - to me they were clearly implying that national, organized propaganda is driving the behavior leading to threats, hence the need for federal investigation. They have identified it as something larger than a local issue.

They can imply anything they want, there was absolutely no proof of said allegation in the statement.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:41 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

They can imply anything they want, there was absolutely no proof of said allegation in the statement.

It was certainly substantiated on page five. Are these not nationally-distributed efforts?

https://www.tpusa.com/topics/school-board-watchlist

https://www.schoolboardwatchlist.org/

bpatus297

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It was certainly substantiated on page five. Are these not nationally-distributed efforts?

You think this a threat? Turning Point is a media outlet, whether or not you agree with them. There is noting on that page that is making threats, its just lists of school boards that are trying to pass what they consider a leftist agenda. I didn't know the 1st amendment is only relevant if you agree with the speech., You two are going down a very scary road since you want the FBI to look into originations you don't agree with.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

You think this a threat? Turning Point is a media outlet, whether or not you agree with them. There is noting on that page that is making threats, its just lists of school boards that are trying to pass what they consider a leftist agenda. I didn't know the 1st amendment is only relevant if you agree with the speech., You two are going down a very scary road since you want the FBI to look into originations you don't agree with.

I didn't say the links were threats, do try to keep up. That's not what DOJ would be looking into - the people blogging about this stuff or whatever. The problem here is more nuanced than that - misinformation is sending people into a tizzy - some of it is not coordinated at a local level and is clearly national. Three important questions regarding the people who are actually making threats - where are they getting the information that has them flying off the handle? If that information is from a national network, are they aware of these impacts? Have they been contacted directly, or are these random users of these sites who go off on their own? Those are all questions worth looking into, and local law enforcement is not able to coordinate getting those answers on their own. Enough with the conspiracy theory about the FBI using this to suppress 1A rights. :boggled: Critical thinking is essential on complex issues.

Tugger

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:31 pm

bpatus297 wrote:

Have you accepted that you were wrong about critical race theory and what it entails?

Tugg

extender

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:52 pm

Critical Race Theory is racist from the start. Just look at who came up with it, intersectional theory based in Marxist ideas.

Tugger

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 pm

extender wrote:
[...] is racist from the start. Just look at who came up with it, [...]

I for one appreciate the US constitution and all the legal ideals and frameworks over time that people have come up with. You statement refutes that, which I find ridiculous and sad.

Tugg

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:00 pm

extender wrote:
Critical Race Theory is racist from the start. Just look at who came up with it, intersectional theory based in Marxist ideas.

Are you implying that Derrick Bell was a racist AND Marxist? Man, talk about lack of nuance.

extender

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:09 pm

The mousetrap argument. Not something that belongs in the school system.

Tugger

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 pm

extender wrote:
The mousetrap argument. Not something that belongs in the school system.

Debate and discussion does not belong in a school system?

Tugg

Newark727

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 pm

Why the hell are we talking about semi-imaginary racist elementary school programs in a thread started because a nutcase murdered his brother over anti-vaccine hysteria? Are we that desperate to change the subject?

Tugger

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Why the hell are we talking about semi-imaginary racist elementary school programs in a thread started because a nutcase murdered his brother over anti-vaccine hysteria? Are we that desperate to change the subject?

To me it relates to the "mental illness" we are experiencing in many places where people are unable to accept reality and instead make up imagined "issues" and then attack (and kill) people based on that.

The vaccine was made into some kind of villainous thing to many people and they did not accept the reality that it was not. The same goes for the election and the "CRT" silliness. And silliness is not probably appropriate as it has lead to violent confrontations.

Tugg