Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fr8mech
Topic Author

Movie Adaptation of Books

Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:56 am

With notable exceptions...I'm sure you'll fill in your own...movie adaptations of books typically don't live up to the book.

I bring this up because I just watched Without Remorse. Now, I'm a fan of Tom Clancy's books and thought Without Remorse was one of his best.

The only things Without Remorse (the movie) has in common with Without Remorse (the book) are its title and some of the character names. You couldn't even stretch the plot of the movie to match the book's or vice-versa. I was quite disappointed.

Rant over.

Without Remorse, the movie, is a good action pic. Plot's a little far-fetched, but it serves the old "bad government actor trying to start some stuff" trope that's been used plenty of times in the past.

Aaron747

Re: Movie Adaptation of Books

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 am

Patriot Games, C&PD and Red October are far better Clancy adaptations. Misery and The Mist are the best King adaptations. LA Confidential and Out of Africa are also among my favorite adaptations. The Fly wasn't bad either - I love the Jurassic Park book series but the movies had way too many substantive changes for my taste.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:15 am

The movie version of the Neverending Story was bad. Although some people love it for its cult status.
I still hope Disney does a remake.

casinterest

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:26 am

The Movie version of Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was rather awesome.

Ender's game totally blew it.

TC's the Sum of all Fears was horrible.

ACDC8

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:23 am

I find its hit and miss.

Sometimes, the books are much better than the movie, and other times, the movie is better than the book.

With the DaVinci Code, I found the book to be much better, but with Angles and Demons, the movie was way better because they cut a lot out, like the part with the Vatican's secret HyperJet.

Same with Steven King, even though a lot of the adaptations stray far from the books, I find for the most part, the movie adaptions are just as good in their own right.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:16 am

Stephen King is brought up a lot with movie adaptations. For me, Misery is the clear winner. An amazing film that captured the tense atmosphere of the book.

How about a movie that far surpasses the book? I'm going to say Forrest Gump. Although there's so many differences that it's sometimes a stretch to say it's based on the novel.

Virtual737

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:48 am

It's hard for me to say whether a film is better than a book, or vice versa, because I see them as two different things. One is more a mental exercise where your mind imagines the reality of the written words and can take anything from half a day to a week or more to complete. The other attempts to appeal both visually and auditory in addition to telling a story and is over typically within 100 minutes or so.

A film needs a cast, a wardrobe, a director, perhaps visual effects, sound engineering, editing and a budget to cover all of the above on top of the base story (which of course also goes through significant editing) which has to be converted into a workable screenplay.

To say that a book is better than a movie is almost like saying that 10 minutes is better than a giraffe. They don't directly compare and the elements that might compare are typically subjective. Having said that, there are books that I've enjoyed more than their movie adaptation and, less so, movies that I've enjoyed more than the book (The Shawshank Redemption being a previously quoted good example).

dc10bhx

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 am

It is a very rare event for me to find a film better than the original book. The Tom Clancy films and books spring to mind straight away. The draw of the book for me is that I can get lost into the actual story being told and picture the events in my mind. This extends to visualising the events taking place (especially when the Authors are good at descriptions of what the principal is feeling at a particular time). There are some Authors where films just cannot be allowed to be made though. Whilst some would say that Matthew Reilly books should be turned into films the story lines would be (I feel) too complicated for translation into a film. The book allows so much more of the back story to come out which is what draws me to read the story.

dc10bhx

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:16 am

duplicate post

LabQuest

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 am

I thought "Into the Wild" was a great movie adaption of the book.

luckyone

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:12 am

The Godfather left out one or two subplots from Mario Puzzo’s novel but otherwise stayed incredibly faithful to the book.

Gone with the Wind is also very faithful to the novel. Just due to sheer length it removes a few subplots such as Scarlett had other children but the story was otherwise the same.

Tugger

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:01 pm

For recent books, The Martian movie did a good job of representing what was in the book and overall hued to it. One that completely missed it for me though was Ready Player One. The movie was more "inspired by" than accurate to the book.

Tugg

Aaron747

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:30 pm

luckyone wrote:
The Godfather left out one or two subplots from Mario Puzzo’s novel but otherwise stayed incredibly faithful to the book.

Gone with the Wind is also very faithful to the novel. Just due to sheer length it removes a few subplots such as Scarlett had other children but the story was otherwise the same.

The subplots left out are pretty interesting - one IIRC are stories told to Michael in Sicily about the brutal nature of Luca Brasi - he killed an unwanted child he had with a prostitute. This would make the audience think he really got his just desserts had it been in the film. Another is that Michael avenges Apollonia's death by putting a hit on Fabrizio. I think also in the book Apollonia was pregnant at the time of the car bombing.

luckyone

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The subplots left out are pretty interesting - one IIRC are stories told to Michael in Sicily about the brutal nature of Luca Brasi - he killed an unwanted child he had with a prostitute. This would make the audience think he really got his just desserts had it been in the film. Another is that Michael avenges Apollonia's death by putting a hit on Fabrizio. I think also in the book Apollonia was pregnant at the time of the car bombing.

I believe you're right about the pregnancy. I'd forgotten about the Luca Brasi elaborations, though in the movie Michael does mention a pretty gnarly deed done by Luca, so we knew he wasn't exactly a saint. There's also a subplot about the godson Johnny Fontaine who plays a much more prominent role in the book. The movie producer comes across as a much more abominable character in the book and this subplot makes it a little clearer why Fredo ended up in Vegas. I don't think the movie's rationalization of this charcter changed the spirit of the book in any way though. Now...I feel the need to reread this book!

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:04 pm

In my opinion, it's always better to see the movie first, then read the book, if possible. That way, you won't be disappointed, but might actually be surprised by how much more is in the book.

Aaron747 wrote:
Patriot Games, C&PD and Red October are far better Clancy adaptations.

Red October is one case where I actually like the movie better than the book. The book felt too long and a bit confusing, honestly.

luckyone wrote:

To an extent. But I found Michael Corleone in the book to be a much more sympathetic character than Michael Corleone in the movie. In retrospect, I think the movie made him seem a bit too cutthroat.

luckyone wrote:

That's one where I definitely wish I had seen the movie before reading the book. Because after reading the book, it's nearly impossible to enjoy the movie, as SO MUCH is missing (out of necessity, of course).

readytotaxi

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:25 pm

I think that Winnie the Pooh by Disney in 1966 was a good adaptation. :thumbsup:

luckyone

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:28 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Red October is one case where I actually like the movie better than the book. The book felt too long and a bit confusing, honestly.

Agreed. I also felt that way about The First Wives Club. The book was frankly, corny and way too campy.
vikkyvik wrote:
To an extent. But I found Michael Corleone in the book to be a much more sympathetic character than Michael Corleone in the movie. In retrospect, I think the movie made him seem a bit too cutthroat.

Do you think a lot of that actually comes from Part II, where indeed he's one of the most unsympathetic protagonists cinema has ever seen?
vikkyvik wrote:
That's one where I definitely wish I had seen the movie before reading the book. Because after reading the book, it's nearly impossible to enjoy the movie, as SO MUCH is missing (out of necessity, of course).

The movie also (predictably) camps up the inherent racial issues present in the novel. The novel makes it more of an observer's narration of an attitude rather than an endorsement of it--it doesn't ignore it, doesn't comment on it, rather just describes it. The movie, for all the obvious reasons, couldn't and didn't do that. The novel, I think, is a lot more unsympathetic to Scarlett as we have a direct line into her vanity and narcissism. The novel also makes her sort of a proto-feminist, unintentionally, which the movie doesn't really reflect because we don't have direct access to Scarlett's narrative. So while the story doesn't really change, the sociopolitical nuances that don't change the story arc are completely lost.

cjg225

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Patriot Games, C&PD and Red October are far better Clancy adaptations. Misery and The Mist are the best King adaptations. LA Confidential and Out of Africa are also among my favorite adaptations. The Fly wasn't bad either - I love the Jurassic Park book series but the movies had way too many substantive changes for my taste.

The Hunt for Red October is both my favorite book and my favorite movie. Definitely significant differences between the two, but each is fine the way it is.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:49 pm

luckyone wrote:
Do you think a lot of that actually comes from Part II, where indeed he's one of the most unsympathetic protagonists cinema has ever seen?

No, I'm thinking solely of Part I.

I actually kind of wish they'd never made a Part II. I feel like the novel ends with Michael still an inherently good guy, and decent family man. But the movie Part II sort of erases that.

luckyone wrote:
The novel, I think, is a lot more unsympathetic to Scarlett as we have a direct line into her vanity and narcissism.

No question. For the movie, they probably felt that they needed to cast her more as the victim. The book does a great job, I think, of showing both her occasional goodness, and her utter selfishness and ruthlessness. She's quite a complex character.

luckyone

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:06 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
luckyone wrote:

No, I'm thinking solely of Part I.

I actually kind of wish they'd never made a Part II. I feel like the novel ends with Michael still an inherently good guy, and decent family man. But the movie Part II sort of erases that.

luckyone wrote:
The novel, I think, is a lot more unsympathetic to Scarlett as we have a direct line into her vanity and narcissism.

No question. For the movie, they probably felt that they needed to cast her more as the victim. The book does a great job, I think, of showing both her occasional goodness, and her utter selfishness and ruthlessness. She's quite a complex character.

I remember as an adolescent identifying with Scarlett to a point. She was surrounded people who kept up a lot of pretenses and ran from reality -- and she and had no patience for it and resented being punished for being honest while flailingly trying to maneuver her way through it. That certainly described a formative part of my upbringing. As an adult I identify more with Rhett Butler who just doesn't give any f***s about people's self-imposed limitations and has figured out away to work around them, while being amused by people's stupidity. Alexandra Ripley's sequel tried to mature her -- opinions vary on the success. The miniseries adaptation was atrocious, at least the second half of it.

moo

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Tugger wrote:
For recent books, The Martian movie did a good job of representing what was in the book and overall hued to it. One that completely missed it for me though was Ready Player One. The movie was more "inspired by" than accurate to the book.

Tugg

The Martian did an ok job - but it deviated from it considerably, which is why I preferred the book.

A few of the deviations:

* The Hab is too big in the film - in the book hes struggling for space to grow sufficient potato plants to survive (to the point where he has to use some bunks as well, and considered using the popup tents), in the film he has abundant space and could grow significantly more plants than required as time went on

* Theres absolutely no mention of the bacteria in the soil required to grow Earth food, until a throwaway line after the airlock event later on - at which point it makes no sense because you haven't been told why thats important

* Lots more innovative science going on in the book, such as heat issues in the rover, making of water, doubling usable soil etc

* Lets use duck tape to fix the cracked helmet visor and completely skip a really good bit of innovation in the book...

* Watney has continuous contact with Earth from the moment he retrieves the lander to the point at which he leaves Mars - in the book he loses the lander midway through and has to solve a number of issues himself as a result

* The entire journey between the Hab and the MAV - in the film, its glossed over, in the book there are several significant events Watney has to recover from

* The "Iron Man" rubbish at the end - in the book Watney suggests it but is told no, and its not needed in the end anyway

* The captain having to be the one to take over the post-launch capture from the crew member designated to do it, because ... well, why? The books approach to this is much better.

I like the film, its a good romp, but it doesn't hold a candle to the book.

1337Delta764

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:47 pm

I watched Thumbelina on Easter Sunday as a kid and purchased a copy of it via Amazon Prime Video.

DH106

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:17 pm

moo wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

The Martian did an ok job - but it deviated from it considerably, which is why I preferred the book.

A few of the deviations:

* The Hab is too big in the film - in the book hes struggling for space to grow sufficient potato plants to survive (to the point where he has to use some bunks as well, and considered using the popup tents), in the film he has abundant space and could grow significantly more plants than required as time went on

* Theres absolutely no mention of the bacteria in the soil required to grow Earth food, until a throwaway line after the airlock event later on - at which point it makes no sense because you haven't been told why thats important

* Lots more innovative science going on in the book, such as heat issues in the rover, making of water, doubling usable soil etc

* Lets use duck tape to fix the cracked helmet visor and completely skip a really good bit of innovation in the book...

* Watney has continuous contact with Earth from the moment he retrieves the lander to the point at which he leaves Mars - in the book he loses the lander midway through and has to solve a number of issues himself as a result

* The entire journey between the Hab and the MAV - in the film, its glossed over, in the book there are several significant events Watney has to recover from

* The "Iron Man" rubbish at the end - in the book Watney suggests it but is told no, and its not needed in the end anyway

* The captain having to be the one to take over the post-launch capture from the crew member designated to do it, because ... well, why? The books approach to this is much better.

I like the film, its a good romp, but it doesn't hold a candle to the book.

Absolutely agree - I like the movie, but it misses out so much that the book gives.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:07 pm

Wow, iPad completely screwed up that post
Last edited by fr8mech on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:10 pm

DH106 wrote:
Absolutely agree - I like the movie, but it misses out so much that the book gives.

Which is why I think books are generally better than their movie adaptations. You can add so much more plot line and details to a book. Further, a book allows a certain bit of imagination and fantasy that the movies will tend to wash out, because when it’s on screen, it’s “real”.

HBO did a fantastic job with the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones. One season devoted to the first book. All the important plot lines and characters were covered, including the political aspects, that would normally get lost in a shorter movie.

I’ve watched the available episodes of AppleTV’s Foundation. I’m interested to see how the series will hold up against the book(s). I read Foundation 40 some-odd years ago, so I purchased a copy to read again when I’m done with my current read…Gates of Fire.

Dutchy

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:17 pm

fr8mech wrote:
With notable exceptions...I'm sure you'll fill in your own...movie adaptations of books typically don't live up to the book.

I am very visual, so I have a vivid image of a book and a movie does not always work too good with that.

Tugger

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I am very visual, so I have a vivid image of a book and a movie does not always work too good with that.

If the author is decent and the story catches you, your mind can create almost infinite settings. Add in the "inner thoughts" and other comments oft contained in the written narrative and movies seldom can match a book that engrosses you for several days (or longer depending on your speed).

Tugg