Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

What would it take for you to move Jobs

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:19 am

Hello all,

2 questions for the forum....

A.) Assuming your reasonably happy (6 out of 10) at work..... with 10 being high- what would it take from a competing offer for you to transition to another company?

B.) In your current situation....what would it take?

NIKV69

Re: What would it take for you to move Jobs

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

I am horribly overpaid so it would be tough and I have too much vested where I am so it would have to be a huge pay bump.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 pm

An exhumation order. I’ll leave now.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:05 pm

More money, less stress.

readytotaxi

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Better quality of life, who wants to be the richest corpse in the graveyard !

casinterest

Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm

Better benefits and better pay is what it would take.

Cadet985

Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:55 pm

All it’d take would be a decent salary and an offer.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:50 pm

I'm reasonably happy at my current job. What it would take to move is:

1.) More money.

or maybe:

2.) A significantly shorter commute for the same money.

LCDFlight

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:29 pm

I’m asking for a substantial raise at a competitor. The stress level would be higher, plus I am happy enough in my current job. So it’s about how much do they want to spend. I am happy either way.

WildcatYXU

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 pm

50% less time in field for the same money or 25% more money for the same time in field.

Airdolomiti

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

I’ve been with my current company for nearly 10 years and I’m quite happy - I think I am well respected and get along splendidly with my colleagues, there’s still room to grow professionally, and there is always something new to do. The commute to the office right in the centre of the city also takes me 15 minutes door to door by public transport.

Still, 10 years is a very long time in my field (PR and public agencies) and I’ve been thinking for a while it’s time i looked for something new.

Having kids and then the pandemic has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm, though. Even though a crisis can be an opportunity, the idea of *actually* leaving a job that’s “safe” and reasonably (but not extraordinarily) well paid is getting more and more daunting every day.

I am currently in loose talks with a competing company for a slightly different and more senior position. They know I’m in no hurry to change, so that means I have time to think about what I want.

At the very least, it would take

1) Significantly better pay

and/or

2) only slightly better pay but less stress/fewer working hours (and paid overtime), meaning more time for my family.

B777LRF

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 pm

Wouldn't move outside, but would consider a move inside the company.

It's awfully nice in Southern France, and if the job and pay was right I'd be off in a jiffy.

But generally speaking I'm very happy with where I am right now. Job is great, colleagues are great, boss is great, tasks are varied and challenging, stress is manageable, work/life balance is just about right, money is good, I'm making a difference and getting lots of postive feed-back. And I'm proud to say I'm working for one of the worlds greatest aviation companies; as a life-long aviation buff I've pretty much reached the peak as far as employers goes.

leader1

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:18 pm

In my experience, the best way to increase your pay, benefits or even your working conditions is to switch jobs. These days, it's very, very rare for someone to stay and grow your way within a company. It happens, but it's really the exception rather than the rule.

With that being said, I'm in a pretty good situation right now. I'm satisfied with the pay, benefits and I have flexibility with my working conditions. That could change in the future, depending on whether my employer wants to return to the office full-time or not. This would affect my quality of life and commute as I moved to my current neighborhood with the expectation/understanding that I'd be working from home the vast majority of the time. So far they've kept their word, but I have my worries...

So, I don't have the inkling to look for anything else, but if a ridiculous opportunity came up in a field I'm passionate about, I'd consider it. For instance, I worked for an airport operator for a few years and absolutely loved it, but the commute sucked and I wasn't able to move closer to the job (I should have moved, looking back), so I left. I'd love to work there again or anything related in that field. Heck, I'd even take a pay-cut to do it. Then there are some fields I've worked in that you couldn't pay me enough to go back. I recently worked for NGOs that revolved around China-foreign relations and while it was interesting at that time, it isn't something I want to go back into with the current state of affairs.

Tugger

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:56 pm

"What would it take for you to move Jobs"

A shovel...

Think about it.... :spin:

Tugg

fr8mech

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Ive been with my current firm 32 years. Eligible to retire in a couple of more. So, for me to move jobs would take a lot more than just “more money”.

What would it take? More money would be nice, but that’s not a deal maker. Between the wife and I, I suspect a paid move to a possible retirement location…Arizona, Texas and the like. My wife being a bit younger than me, would like to find comparable work with comparable salary to make a job change for me more attractive.

wingman

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 pm

I'm glad so many of us moved in the same direction reading the thread title.

T18

Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:08 am

So given in my job there a limited places to go, it would take an offer with the right pay in one of the few places I'm willing to live, you could offer me $100k a year more and I'm still not moving to Chicago, New York or Dallas.

LMP737

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 am

With all the talk out there of people leaving their current jobs I wonder how many of those people are literally swapping jobs. All the while thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

At this point in my career I really have no desire to go any place else. I like the are I live in and I'm pretty well paid for what I do. Sure, I could take a desk job at my current company and make more money. But that would mean moving, which I no longer have the desire to do.

LCDFlight

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:27 am

leader1 wrote:
In my experience, the best way to increase your pay, benefits or even your working conditions is to switch jobs. These days, it's very, very rare for someone to stay and grow your way within a company. It happens, but it's really the exception rather than the rule.

With that being said, I'm in a pretty good situation right now. I'm satisfied with the pay, benefits and I have flexibility with my working conditions. That could change in the future, depending on whether my employer wants to return to the office full-time or not. This would affect my quality of life and commute as I moved to my current neighborhood with the expectation/understanding that I'd be working from home the vast majority of the time. So far they've kept their word, but I have my worries...

So, I don't have the inkling to look for anything else, but if a ridiculous opportunity came up in a field I'm passionate about, I'd consider it. For instance, I worked for an airport operator for a few years and absolutely loved it, but the commute sucked and I wasn't able to move closer to the job (I should have moved, looking back), so I left. I'd love to work there again or anything related in that field. Heck, I'd even take a pay-cut to do it. Then there are some fields I've worked in that you couldn't pay me enough to go back. I recently worked for NGOs that revolved around China-foreign relations and while it was interesting at that time, it isn't something I want to go back into with the current state of affairs.

I have worked hard and done some job interviews. Working super hard paid little, or sometimes, nothing at all. Interviewing for new jobs using experience I gained became quite lucrative. I only got paid for my skills by pulling the trigger on new jobs. Not by waiting around. Waiting around (5, 10 years or more) will only get you pink slipped before too long. Even if you are a lawyer or a doctor, they will pink slip you. It is best to stay current and circulate. Obviously this is less true in collective bargained roles, but that hasn’t been my situation.

Aesma

Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:16 am

When I started my current job (my first actual job that isn't a summer job, or an internship, etc.) I thought I would change after 5 years, unless it got really interesting. It has been interesting in some ways, not in others. Bottom line is I'm still there after 7 years, with no immediate plans to change, but I'm definitely considering it. Ideally I need to improve my CV on a couple of points and can do that while staying employed where I am. I'm also pushing for a raise, more telework, and a promotion, but I feel to really get what I want from my company I'd have to show them an offer from another company anyway...

Aside from the job itself, I'm not sure I want to stay where I am, even if I have always lived here in Paris' suburbs, I'd like something new. I would definitely consider an expat job, my company being a large multinational has plenty of these, but none of the offers are in any way related to my expertise, as I'm in a support role (IT).

As for pink slips, my job is about as safe as a public employee (which in France is a job for life), you can screw up a lot and not get fired.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:44 am

aaden wrote:
Hello all,

A.) Assuming your reasonably happy (6 out of 10) at work..... with 10 being high- what would it take from a competing offer for you to transition to another company?

a) Job advancement - meaning I get a better position

b) Just a job offer of equal level or slightly above. I've had it with my current employer, but the only reason I'm not quitting yet is because I'm not getting a job and I have commitments I need to pay.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:43 am

Oddly enough I jumped ship start of last year for less money, I hated my new boss at my old job with a passion. I love my new job, I'm now home based, income is less but my pension plan is a lot better and we have medical insurance included (not sure why there are no private medical practices where I live) . To leave this job I would have to have the same working conditions as now but a significantly higher salary.

aaden
Topic Author

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Follow up question- how much of a pay increase would it take for those of you who would move…

NIKV69

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Forgot to add the schedule of when I have to work is also too good at my current job so pay isn't only concern.

Mortyman

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:09 pm

Much better pay, better pension plan, less work

luckyone

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I just switched jobs in the last six months. I was quite happy with the place I was working, as it was, but here's why I left:

1. Leadership structure changed, new owners, with long term consequences to how my job would be performed.
2. Geography. I was living quite far from family and my network whom I viewed as family. Pre-pandemic this wasn't an issue. Post-pandemic distances were reframed.
3. More flexibility for scheduling and income supplementation. My previous employer set very rigid restrictions on moonlighting/supplemental income. My current employer makes it easy to take extra shifts in-house.
4. Far better employer retirement contributions
5. More flexible career opportunities.

csturdiv

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:52 am

aaden wrote:
Hello all,

All it took for me was for a proposal. 3 months later I left our Chicago area office on a Friday and on Monday morning I stepped foot into our Sydney office. Looking back, I should've taken at least a day or two off.

But seriously, the offer was for a lot more money and an opportunity for better things, which did come to life. I was also single and had no "connections" to my life in Chicago, which made my decision to move to Sydney much easier.

WesternDC6B

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm

Tugger wrote:
"What would it take for you to move Jobs"

A shovel...

Think about it.... :spin:

Tugg

I did. But, what would Mrs. Jobs think of this? :duck:

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 pm

Better opportunities for learning, growth, and career advancement, better job satisfaction, a place I'd feel safe and comfortable being in, and most importantly, paid relocation.

I'm OK with a paycut if the cost of living is low to warrant it and I'm not far off from market reference for the area (I already did this and it's working out fine). Sometimes a lateral movement or a small step downward is necessary if you want balance.

ER757

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Better opportunities for learning, growth, and career advancement, better job satisfaction, a place I'd feel safe and comfortable being in, and most importantly, paid relocation.

I'm OK with a paycut if the cost of living is low to warrant it and I'm not far off from market reference for the area (I already did this and it's working out fine). Sometimes a lateral movement or a small step downward is necessary if you want balance.

Hope your recent moves pays off for you in the long run.

For me, it was location. It was a slight pay cut when I did move but made up for it and more fairly quickly and never regretted the decision. Recently retired after 31 years in my "new" location and would do it all over again if I had a time machine and a 2nd chance.