Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Lebanon in darkness as electricity grid shuts down

Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Reports that the only electricity is with people who have a private generator.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58856914

The power grid "completely stopped working at noon today" and was unlikely to restart for several days.
This country has suffered so much for so long. :(

Aaron747

Re: Lebanon in darkness as electricity grid shuts down

Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 pm

Incredible how much has changed in 50 years, and so much for the worse. My neighbors growing up were Lebanese, and they always talked about how lovely Beirut was in the 60s before they were forced to leave.

Video of the Beirut high life in the 60s here:

https://ginosblog.com/pimpin-video-of-l ... f1faaeed3a

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

https://www.ellieandco.co.uk/2020/08/be ... azine.html

OA260

Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Incredible how much has changed in 50 years, and so much for the worse.

50 years ! I was there 4 times around 9-10 years ago and it had issues but was a fab country to visit and tour around and plenty of wealth with new malls and hotel / apartments etc..

Whats happening over the last few years is pure meltdown and terrible to see. The Lebanese are a resilient lot so hoping they can once again lift themselves out of this mess. Sadly their leaders sucked the wealth out of the country and left them high and dry.

Aaron747

Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:14 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Incredible how much has changed in 50 years, and so much for the worse.

50 years ! I was there 4 times around 9-10 years ago and it had issues but was a fab country to visit and tour around and plenty of wealth with new malls and hotel / apartments etc..

Whats happening over the last few years is pure meltdown and terrible to see. The Lebanese are a resilient lot so hoping they can once again lift themselves out of this mess. Sadly their leaders sucked the wealth out of the country and left them high and dry.

I'm talking about the last time it was relatively stable. People were trying to rebuild 10 years ago but that doesn't mean there was stability - that was around the time the unity government had collapsed and the Syrian civil war was threatening to spill over the border.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:26 pm

Lebanon has become a horrible basket case of civil war, ethnic and religious division, broken governance, Israel and Syria taking parts of it. Decades ago, it was a crown jewel of the eastern Med, with Christians and Muslims living in relative peace, a stable economy, Beirut a great, cosmopolitan city. Now it is mostly gone. Sadly 100's of 1000's have become refugees, their diaspora going all over the world. I don't know the answers, no one seems to.

Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 pm

Just a shame that they have so many issues one after the other, poor governance, etc. :(

And the people despite all that seem to be so resilient - how I don't know.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Last time I was there maybe 10 years ago, it was wonderful—great restaurants, a Nutella crepe that burned my lips off, great hotel at the Phoenician, beautiful. We, crew and I, walked down town like it was nothing on a warm fall evening. Now, not so much, I guess.

Early in my life, I met a Beiruti at JFK, he was our company’s rep (air cargo); the civil war had just begun. He said, it’s bad and it will get much worse. I moved on and lost contact.