Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:12 am

Currently, Highway 9 crosses the Yukon River in Dawson City by ferry during the summer and ice bridge during the winter. During the spring breakup period, the crossing is closed and there is no way across. A permnant bridge was proposed in 2004, but was never built. Therefore, a permnant bridge should be constructed to carry Highway 9 traffic across the Yukon River in Dawson City. Something like this was done with the construction of the Deh Cho Bridge on the Yellowknife Highway in 2012. Also, a similar bridge carrying Highway 9 over the Yukon River in Dawson City should also be built as an iconic landmark for the city.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deh_Cho_Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_River
 
FGITD
Posts: 1802
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:19 am

Going to venture a guess that the 1400 people living in Dawson City aren’t too concerned with building an iconic bridge. I don’t think they’re expecting to draw tourists to come see their bridge.

They just want to get across the River.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:24 am

FGITD wrote:
Going to venture a guess that the 1400 people living in Dawson City aren’t too concerned with building an iconic bridge. I don’t think they’re expecting to draw tourists to come see their bridge.

They just want to get across the River.

Getting across the river would be the main focus of such a bridge and could you see a bridge like that being built in Dawson City?
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5136
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:46 am

So what would the tolls have to be to pay for such a bridge. I am guessing about $1K. Subsidizing a helicopter would be cheaper.
 
TangoandCash
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Sounds similar to an Alaskan project... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravina_Island_Bridge
At least that would have connected to the airport.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24062
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:30 pm

There has to be a good economic reason. For goods to get to Dawson City, they most likely go through Whitehorse on a road open all year. Crossing the river takes a highway to the Alaska border and meets up with the road to Whitehorse. Economically, it makes no sense.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13684
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:05 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
So what would the tolls have to be to pay for such a bridge. I am guessing about $1K. Subsidizing a helicopter would be cheaper.


Not far from where I live a bridge and tunnel project was recently completed, the island has a year round population of about 300 people, in summer its about 1500, the project cost 6b NOK, it replaced a ferry.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 am

seb146 wrote:
There has to be a good economic reason. For goods to get to Dawson City, they most likely go through Whitehorse on a road open all year. Crossing the river takes a highway to the Alaska border and meets up with the road to Whitehorse. Economically, it makes no sense.

Building a bridge across the Yukon River would certainly allow for easier emergency vehicle access.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8029
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Building a bridge across the Yukon River would certainly allow for easier emergency vehicle access.

If that was such a concern, they would have built one by now.

Seeing that no bridge has been built or planned yet, that would be a good indicator that the current system is more than adequate at this time.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16447
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:38 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Currently, Highway 9 crosses the Yukon River in Dawson City by ferry during the summer and ice bridge during the winter. During the spring breakup period, the crossing is closed and there is no way across. A permnant bridge was proposed in 2004, but was never built. Therefore, a permnant bridge should be constructed to carry Highway 9 traffic across the Yukon River in Dawson City. Something like this was done with the construction of the Deh Cho Bridge on the Yellowknife Highway in 2012. Also, a similar bridge carrying Highway 9 over the Yukon River in Dawson City should also be built as an iconic landmark for the city.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deh_Cho_Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_River


Tourists will not come to Dawson City to see a bridge - few places with name recognition in NA are as remote as Dawson City. The bridge needs to be functional, not iconic.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8382
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:08 am

Make an economic case for the bridge.

Just because there isn't one there, doesn't mean there needs to be one there.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Building a bridge across the Yukon River would certainly allow for easier emergency vehicle access.

If that was such a concern, they would have built one by now.

Seeing that no bridge has been built or planned yet, that would be a good indicator that the current system is more than adequate at this time.

The ice bridge at the Yukon River in Dawson City is getting thinner due to climate change and that could cause issues for supporting the weight of trucks and emergency vehicles. Another reason a permnant bridge needs to be built there.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8382
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The ice bridge at the Yukon River in Dawson City is getting thinner due to climate change and that could cause issues for supporting the weight of trucks and emergency vehicles. Another reason a permnant bridge needs to be built there.


That might make the economic case. Only time, and a thorough economic impact study will tell.

Have you seen the size of the ferry that's used? Do the Google Maps Street View thing.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8029
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:29 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Seeing that no bridge has been built or planned yet, that would be a good indicator that the current system is more than adequate at this time.
The ice bridge at the Yukon River in Dawson City is getting thinner due to climate change and that could cause issues for supporting the weight of trucks and emergency vehicles.

They know this, it's been a problem in the past and they just build another ice bridge farther up or down the river. The folks who live in West Dawson have no electricity, no water - they're living in the bush. They have no desire to move to the other side of the river and they know how to get crucial services across even without an official ice bridge. I'm pretty sure spending big money on a bridge for a handful of people isn't their number one priority right now.

In regards to emergency vehicles, I don't know how it works where you are, but here in Canada, there are many areas that are inaccessible by emergency vehicles, and in some case, outside of their boundaries. I used to live off a forestry road, about 10kms up the mountain. We had no public electricity, gas or water, everything was off the grid. The only access was a gravel forestry road that got graded a handful times a year and in the winter, the lumber companies were responsible to plow it, so sometimes, we would be stuck up there for days before it got cleaned up. Emergency services were limited to about 7 kms down the road, so we were on our own if something happened. And there are lots of places like that in Canada, we can't expect to pave all these roads, maintain them just for some people who choose to live in remote areas.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Another reason a permnant bridge needs to be built there.

You don't live there, let alone in this Country - I don't think you would be qualified as to what the city needs or does not need. They have Local, Territorial and Federal Governments that are responsible to make those decisions. They've been living with the ice bridge in good seasons and not so good seasons for the last 60 years, I think they have a pretty good grasp on how to best proceed forward.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 am

ACDC8 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Seeing that no bridge has been built or planned yet, that would be a good indicator that the current system is more than adequate at this time.
The ice bridge at the Yukon River in Dawson City is getting thinner due to climate change and that could cause issues for supporting the weight of trucks and emergency vehicles.

They know this, it's been a problem in the past and they just build another ice bridge farther up or down the river. The folks who live in West Dawson have no electricity, no water - they're living in the bush. They have no desire to move to the other side of the river and they know how to get crucial services across even without an official ice bridge. I'm pretty sure spending big money on a bridge for a handful of people isn't their number one priority right now.

In regards to emergency vehicles, I don't know how it works where you are, but here in Canada, there are many areas that are inaccessible by emergency vehicles, and in some case, outside of their boundaries. I used to live off a forestry road, about 10kms up the mountain. We had no public electricity, gas or water, everything was off the grid. The only access was a gravel forestry road that got graded a handful times a year and in the winter, the lumber companies were responsible to plow it, so sometimes, we would be stuck up there for days before it got cleaned up. Emergency services were limited to about 7 kms down the road, so we were on our own if something happened. And there are lots of places like that in Canada, we can't expect to pave all these roads, maintain them just for some people who choose to live in remote areas.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Another reason a permnant bridge needs to be built there.

You don't live there, let alone in this Country - I don't think you would be qualified as to what the city needs or does not need. They have Local, Territorial and Federal Governments that are responsible to make those decisions. They've been living with the ice bridge in good seasons and not so good seasons for the last 60 years, I think they have a pretty good grasp on how to best proceed forward.

West Dawson is a real town like Dawson City and Highway 9 goes all the way to Alaska, so it makes sense to build a bridge connecting Dawson City and West Dawson. There are also several bridges on the Yukon River that are further north.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8029
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
West Dawson is a real town like Dawson City and Highway 9 goes all the way to Alaska, so it makes sense to build a bridge connecting Dawson City and West Dawson. There are also several bridges on the Yukon River that are further north.

West Dawson is certainly not a real town like Dawson City - they have no infrastructure, no services of any kind, its completely off the grid and consists of nothing but a handful of sparse cabins here and there. As far as Hwy 9 goes, pretty sure thats in not a heavily travelled route going to Alaska to warrant spending tens of millions of dollars to build something that is only going to cater to a handful of people.

Regardless, if it makes sense to build a bridge connecting the two, there would be a bridge connecting the two, but alas, there is not.

Instead of arguing that you think there should be a bridge there, maybe you should listen to why there isn't a bridge there - you might learn something.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:52 am

ACDC8 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
West Dawson is a real town like Dawson City and Highway 9 goes all the way to Alaska, so it makes sense to build a bridge connecting Dawson City and West Dawson. There are also several bridges on the Yukon River that are further north.

West Dawson is certainly not a real town like Dawson City - they have no infrastructure, no services of any kind, its completely off the grid and consists of nothing but a handful of sparse cabins here and there. As far as Hwy 9 goes, pretty sure thats in not a heavily travelled route going to Alaska to warrant spending tens of millions of dollars to build something that is only going to cater to a handful of people.

Regardless, if it makes sense to build a bridge connecting the two, there would be a bridge connecting the two, but alas, there is not.

Instead of arguing that you think there should be a bridge there, maybe you should listen to why there isn't a bridge there - you might learn something.

What warrants the four bridges on the Yukon River in both the Yukon Territory and Alaska being built?
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8029
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:04 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What warrants the four bridges on the Yukon River in both the Yukon Territory and Alaska being built?

I don't know about the bridge in the US because I don't know anything about Alaskan infrastructure. But for the 3 in the Yukon:

The Robert Campbell bridge in Whitehorse - Whitehorse has 20 times the population than that of Dawson and the neighbourhood that it connects to is an actual neighbourhood that has more residents than Dawson City itself and has actual infrastructure in place - Whitehorse is also the Capital City - so that has a lot of pull.

As far as the other two bridges, they're both on major roadways, so that reason is obvious. Dawson City is quite literally, the end of the line for 99% of the people who drive up that way.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1957
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:08 am

ACDC8 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
What warrants the four bridges on the Yukon River in both the Yukon Territory and Alaska being built?

I don't know about the bridge in the US because I don't know anything about Alaskan infrastructure. But for the 3 in the Yukon:

The Robert Campbell bridge in Whitehorse - Whitehorse has 20 times the population than that of Dawson and the neighbourhood that it connects to is an actual neighbourhood that has more residents than Dawson City itself and has actual infrastructure in place - Whitehorse is also the Capital City - so that has a lot of pull.

As far as the other two bridges, they're both on major roadways, so that reason is obvious. Dawson City is quite literally, the end of the line for 99% of the people who drive up that way.

What made the Deh Cho Bridge on the Yellowknife Highway justifiable?
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8029
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Potential for Building a Bridge Over the Yukon River in Dawson City

Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:43 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What made the Deh Cho Bridge on the Yellowknife Highway justifiable?

That answer was given to you 6 months ago when you asked the same question in your similar thread. But to refresh your memory. The highway that crosses that bridge leads to Yellowknife, again, a city with almost 15 times the population of Dawson, the Capital City of the NWT and the highway is a major artery for commercial trucks.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a320fan, Aaron747, Baidu [Spider], cpd, lightsaber, ThePointblank and 43 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos