Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Timothy Simpkins, the Texas school shooter has been released on bail. Simpkins, 18, carried a gun in to school and shot four people, one of them critically. He has been released on a $75,000.00 bond.

RT News Link

MSN Link

Independent UK Link

FW Star-Telelgram Link

The Sun Link

Daily Mail Link

Yahoo Link
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 pm

A tragic incident for sure.

His family is saying he was a target of bullying and also claimed he acted after being robbed and attacked by bullies - will be interesting to see how they frame this in terms of the argument of the defense (e.g. he was acting in self defense, felt threatened etc.)

The bond, according to the article, gets him house arrest and GPS tracking (among other things) - so he won't be out walking the streets entirely. Presumably the judge was acting within the bounds of what is allowable in terms of granting bond to the individual, after the arguments made before them... or is this being seen as too liberal a move on the part of the court (e.g. he should be held behind bars and not on bail)
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm

Aren't schools gun-free zones?
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:04 pm

extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


I don't condone the actions of the shooter, nor do I endorse the post-bail celebration, but this is Texas we are talking about with regards to guns. Perhaps this didn't get press since there were no fatalities, and the NRA would prefer to keep it that way especially after the exposure it got after the Parkland FL shooting.
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:05 pm

extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


Presumably.. but people break the law all the time. Just like aggravated assault with a deadly weapon... also illegal...and he is being charged with three counts of it.

I am not an expert on Texas gun laws, but presumably the Federal law applies here... and he would be subject to penalty under that law for breaking it (in addition to the charges noted above).

Such a sad event on all accounts... from the victims of the shooting, to the young man who pulled the trigger and whose life will never be the same due to the criminal record he could very well end up with.. to the families of all who need to try and pick up the pieces.. to the students who were in the school that day and will live with that trauma. There are no winners. Such a sad sad circumstance.

Will be very interested to see arguments the defense put forward given some of the circumstances outlined in the Yahoo article.
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


I don't condone the actions of the shooter, nor do I endorse the post-bail celebration, but this is Texas we are talking about with regards to guns. Perhaps this didn't get press since there were no fatalities, and the NRA would prefer to keep it that way especially after the exposure it got after the Parkland FL shooting.


Agreed - the post bail celebration was in incredibly bad taste. I wonder if the prosecution will try to use it against him? ('look at him celebrating! he is not remorseful!)

As for the media coverage...I tend to agree - no fatalities, and an event that is competing for media attention with every other 'omg' thing that may be happening at that time or on that day (shootings or otherwise).
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:51 am

extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


If schools weren’t gun free zones, a kid could have a gun in his backpack and, if spotted, nobody could do anything about it because it’s legal.

Of course few could immediately stop them if they just entered with it concealed and then opened fire.

It’s certainly already happened plenty of times recently.

Why aren’t AIRPLANES not gun free zones then? Hell no this is a terrible idea.

Ideally gun free zones MUST be defended or guarded by police. Many schools are nowadays.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:22 am

CarlosSi wrote:
extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


If schools weren’t gun free zones, a kid could have a gun in his backpack and, if spotted, nobody could do anything about it because it’s legal.

Of course few could immediately stop them if they just entered with it concealed and then opened fire.

It’s certainly already happened plenty of times recently.

Why aren’t AIRPLANES not gun free zones then? Hell no this is a terrible idea.

Ideally gun free zones MUST be defended or guarded by police. Many schools are nowadays.


Do you really think it's legal for kids to carry concealed weapons in the US? Gun free means law abiding citizens who have concealed licenses can't carry. No where in the US that I am aware of are children allowed to carry concealed firearms, hell you have to be 21 to purchase or own a handgun.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15875
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:30 am

I would like to know where he got the gun. Likely it was one owned by a parent and if so, they should be in jail or on high bail and house confinement too. I expect civil lawsuits by the victims against the school, the shooter and his family.
The deeper problem here is the bullying and hateful behaviors in too many of our schools that drive too many school shooters. We have to stop the hate.
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:06 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I would like to know where he got the gun. Likely it was one owned by a parent and if so, they should be in jail or on high bail and house confinement too. I expect civil lawsuits by the victims against the school, the shooter and his family.


To be fair, if he is 18, he can possess a pistol, he just cannot buy it. I am pretty sure there is a law about weapons in school, so there he is in a bind. Attempted murder murder, in a bind. Carrying a concealed weapon, in a bind.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3557
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:19 pm

extender wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I would like to know where he got the gun. Likely it was one owned by a parent and if so, they should be in jail or on high bail and house confinement too. I expect civil lawsuits by the victims against the school, the shooter and his family.


To be fair, if he is 18, he can possess a pistol, he just cannot buy it. I am pretty sure there is a law about weapons in school, so there he is in a bind. Attempted murder murder, in a bind. Carrying a concealed weapon, in a bind.


He can private party buy a pistol, he just can't buy it from an FFL.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:23 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
extender wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I would like to know where he got the gun. Likely it was one owned by a parent and if so, they should be in jail or on high bail and house confinement too. I expect civil lawsuits by the victims against the school, the shooter and his family.


To be fair, if he is 18, he can possess a pistol, he just cannot buy it. I am pretty sure there is a law about weapons in school, so there he is in a bind. Attempted murder murder, in a bind. Carrying a concealed weapon, in a bind.


He can private party buy a pistol, he just can't buy it from an FFL.


Depends on the state, a lot of states have regulations prohibiting someone under 21 from possessing a handgun.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3557
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
extender wrote:

To be fair, if he is 18, he can possess a pistol, he just cannot buy it. I am pretty sure there is a law about weapons in school, so there he is in a bind. Attempted murder murder, in a bind. Carrying a concealed weapon, in a bind.


He can private party buy a pistol, he just can't buy it from an FFL.


Depends on the state, a lot of states have regulations prohibiting someone under 21 from possessing a handgun.


Sure, that may be, but federally, buying from a dealer requires you to be 21. A private party sale between 2 individuals only requires you to be 18.
 
johns624
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas School Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm

In a quirk of law, an 18 year old can buy a used handgun in a private sale but can't buy ammunition for it from a dealer. Once, I had a young Detroit cop come into the store and his mother had to buy his practice ammunition for it, since he was under 21.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Texas Schhol Shooter Released On Bond

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
extender wrote:
Aren't schools gun-free zones?


If schools weren’t gun free zones, a kid could have a gun in his backpack and, if spotted, nobody could do anything about it because it’s legal.

Of course few could immediately stop them if they just entered with it concealed and then opened fire.

It’s certainly already happened plenty of times recently.

Why aren’t AIRPLANES not gun free zones then? Hell no this is a terrible idea.

Ideally gun free zones MUST be defended or guarded by police. Many schools are nowadays.


Do you really think it's legal for kids to carry concealed weapons in the US? Gun free means law abiding citizens who have concealed licenses can't carry. No where in the US that I am aware of are children allowed to carry concealed firearms, hell you have to be 21 to purchase or own a handgun.

Of course it’s not.

That was a hypothetical in the first sentence.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, Dutchy, phugoid1982, StarAC17, Virtual737, WidebodyPTV, zakuivcustom and 32 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos