Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Olio of advice on used-car-buying

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:45 am

I'm looking at possibly buying a used car to replace my battered Corolla. I ain't bought no used car before so I don't even know what my questions are. Apparently you're supposed to kick the tires but I don't know what's supposed to happen in response.

I have AAA Plus membership, in case anyone was to weigh in on their experience with AAA's "car-buying" service. :boggled:

(Also I'm pretty sure the vehicle I buy is going to have to be a Chevy Equinox. :bigthumbsup: )

ACDC8

Re: Olio of advice on used-car-buying

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:50 am

Airstud wrote:
(Also I'm pretty sure the vehicle I buy is going to have to be a Chevy Equinox. :bigthumbsup: )

Well, there's you first mistake :biggrin:

Seriously though.

Research vehicles online, visit vehicle specific forums - find out what common issues owners have had. Lots of people just griping about their cars, but also a lot of real good info available if you can filter through the garbage comments/posts.

Take the vehicle to a mechanic, get it checked out, pay particular attention to any common issues the vehicle type may have according to your earlier research.

Get a carfax report, make sure there hasn't been any major damage to it, something a good mechanic should also be able to spot - cracks/bends/mismatched paint in frames etc.

T18

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:51 am

Car-fax, and a pre-purchase inspection are very helpful. Also check recall status before you buy too. Granted I'd tell you to never buy an Equinox.

melpax

Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 am

Check the service history, and if you find something you're keen on, take it for a good test drive (not just around the block). Something that I do, is check the service sticker, if the service is past due, I move on. Skipping services on modern cars leads to trouble later on.....

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:55 am

OK there's already way too much Equinox hate in this thread...

Avis rented me one in Boston about a year ago and I was amazed by how much I loved it. Everything - the size & maneuverability, the comfy seats, proper room for cargo, the layout of the controls - everything just clicked for me, like on some metaphysical level, and within a half hour I was saying "My next car is a Chevy Equinox!!!"

That was a year ago, so I guess I can be more objective now... what is/are the problem/s with the Equinox? :boggled:

ACDC8

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 am

Airstud wrote:
That was a year ago, so I guess I can be more objective now... what is/are the problem/s with the Equinox? :boggled:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/chevy-equi ... now-about/

All cars have some issues of some sort - some more than others. The interwebz is a great tool to do some research on various vehicles. If you really like the Equinox, the possible expenses in repairs might be worth it - never hurts to cross shop though.

vrbarreto

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:30 am

Pre purchase inspections are always good if you are going to part with a fair amount of cash

there's obvious things that have been said like

a) Check it has been serviced regularly
b) Looks for any leaks below the car and also look under the bonnet with the engine running
c) Look for any warning lights on the cluster although it is known for the unscrupulous to disconnect things
d) Give it a good test drive.. A few things to check are give it a good boot and see if there is any white smoke coming from the exhaust, if it's a manual go through the gear changes quickly and make sure that the gears engage well. Listen out for any strange noise on acceleration like tapping coming from the engine.. In an open space drive it along at low speed and take your hands of the wheel.. Make sure that it doesn't drift excessively..
e) Insist on a warranty so that if you have any issue you can take it back
f) Check all electrical functions, mirrors, doors windows, seats, air con, check all the lights are working, etc
g) If you can get hold of an obd reader, take it with you and ask if you can scan the car for any errors.. An obd tool is worth having anyway..

jetwet1

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Airstud wrote:
I'm looking at possibly buying a used car to replace my battered Corolla. I ain't bought no used car before so I don't even know what my questions are. Apparently you're supposed to kick the tires but I don't know what's supposed to happen in response.

I have AAA Plus membership, in case anyone was to weigh in on their experience with AAA's "car-buying" service. :boggled:

Unless you really have to (unless you find a stupid deal) I wouldn't buy a car right, the market is stupid right now. I just sold my Quadrifoglio, it's 3 1/2 years old, I paid just over $75k for it, I got $64k, yes I am happy to get that, but it's to much.

If you are going for an Equinox, on the V6 check the timing chains, on the 4 pot check for oil leaks, the 4's burn oil, they also have a nasty habit of blowing rear main seals, get under the car and look for leaks.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Make sure the transmission has been serviced more than anything. They cost a ton if they fail.

Natflyer

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Buy Consumer Reports used car guide. They can tell you which types to forget (pretty sure the Equinox is there).

T18

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm

If you really love the Equinox, I would suggest looking at a Traverse before you buy. I don't recommend either but I would suggest the Traverse is the better product from Chevy in that size range, should prove easier access for the rear seats, better economy, more responsive ride and less likely to flip 5 times in a 30mph crash too.

WesternDC6B

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Airstud wrote:
OK there's already way too much Equinox hate in this thread... :boggled:

Probably from people who won't buy anything but an import in the first place because they are sooooo much better you know!

To address the topic:

1) Carfax is your friend.

2) Get a mechanic to look at it.

3) Ignore Consumers Reports; their biases stick out a mile.

4) DO NOT BUY A RENTAL RETURN. If the Carfax shows it was in a rental fleet it likely had the ever-lovin' [daylights] kicked out of it.

5) A lease return can be good because the leasing companies generally require those who leased the car to have given it regular maintenance. But, make sure it was not leased to, say, Budget or Hertz or whatever.

6) This is my own bias, but I would avoid anything with a CV transmission. Most fail in the 5-figure mileage range. A dual clutch automatic can be rough-shifting, and at least in Ford's case, troublesome. As for efficiency and fuel economy, conventional multi-speed transmissions do just as well with less drama, and a far longer life. (The only variable speed transmissions that were durable were the Dynaflow transmissions in Buicks, but they haven't been offered since 1962.)

In my own 56 years of car ownership, I have owned American, Japanese, German, Italian, and Swedish cars.

The Italian was the most fun for the dollar.

The German cars were expensive to maintain - which was often - and one of them was complete junk. Many equate 347 parts to do a 43-part job with good engineering. It isn't.

The Japanese ones were okay but not "all that". Their dealer service departments were the best of the excuse-makers and finger-pointers.

From the standpoint of turn the key/push the button it goes, ease and cost of maintenance, and long-term satisfaction and durability, my American make cars have been the best. Your mileage may vary, but this has been my experience.
Last edited by WesternDC6B on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WesternDC6B

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Make sure the transmission has been serviced more than anything. They cost a ton if they fail.

That is true of virtually any car.

NIKV69

Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:08 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

That is true of virtually any car.

Yet it's the most overlooked thing when checking out a used vehicle. It's amazing how many people will check everything but the trans. It's the highest single expense after a bad engine of course.

wingman

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:43 pm

First off, renting a brand new Equinox is a poor guide to buying a used one. You’re driving a battered Corolla that still runs? Id use that as a much better predictor of used car performance. Read CR like another poster suggested and you’ll find better options. Honda, Toyota, Mazda and Hyundai all rank higher than the Equinox for quality and resale value. In this category id put up the Mazda CX5 as an option, nice looking car and you can get one with a 250 horse motor and a real transmission. I love Honda but they saddle the CRV with a CVT transmission. Its unpardonable. Good luck.

LCDFlight

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Used cars are the Wild West - and in 2021, they are ridiculously expensive as well.

Seriously, if you can, save your money and wait 2 years. It’s a Corolla; is it broken?! There is a major car supply “crisis” in the Us at this time.

My basic rundown goes like this. Premium Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Subaru) are ultra desirable. So, used ones are ultra expensive, especially now. Similar for US made pickup trucks, including Toyotas.

European cars are cheap, because nobody wants them. That’s what I like. Challenging to problem solve, but fun cars and cheap to own, if you play the game with skill. Do not buy used Audis or Volkswagens. They are junk compared to your Corolla, which is a GOOD car.

American cars - hit or miss. They tend to have worse owners - rental fleets, people with criminal records. Some American used cars are wel made and perfectly maintained. But it’s rare.

In sum, get a used Porsche Boxster or Cayenne. Granny owned, garaged American cars are good too. Japanese cars, again they are so expensive - might as well order new from the factory.

EstherLouise

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
American cars - hit or miss. They tend to have worse owners - rental fleets, people with criminal records. Some American used cars are wel made and perfectly maintained. But it’s rare.

You'd LOVE my 2019 Ford Escape Titanium 4x4 coming off lease on April 6, 2022. Never been in the shop for ANYTHING. Just oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. Best damned car I've ever had since I started driving in 1976.

LCDFlight

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:45 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

You'd LOVE my 2019 Ford Escape Titanium 4x4 coming off lease on April 6, 2022. Never been in the shop for ANYTHING. Just oil changes and other scheduled maintenance. Best damned car I've ever had since I started driving in 1976.

Yes - this deserves to be said - with used cars, the OWNER matters more than the CAR. A great owner maintains their cars in perfect mechanical condition and excellent cosmetic condition (garaged!), even at 10 years. Are great owners common? No. But they do exist.

EstherLouise

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
EstherLouise wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Yes - this deserves to be said - with used cars, the OWNER matters more than the CAR. A great owner maintains their cars in perfect mechanical condition and excellent cosmetic condition (garaged!), even at 10 years. Are great owners common? No. But they do exist.

The bloody thing doesn't have a single door ding. It'll need tires, though, but I purchased that plan where I pay $10 a month for wear and tear, but will owe nothing when I turn the car in. All it'll need is a good detailing job and tires upon lease return day.