Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A101

Re: COP-26 Glasgow climate summit

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 am

scbriml wrote:
A101 wrote:
unless the climate do gooders want to live like a cave man again

Show me where anyone has even suggested this. But, by doing nothing, those that survive will be living like cavemen again - however, since you'll be long dead by then, I suspect you simply don't care..

A101 wrote:
Net zero goes against everything you are saying you still have to burn fossil fuel for mankind to exist

Net zero doesn't mean zero burning of fossil fuels. It seems you don't actually understand the thing to which you're so vehemently opposed. Just like the other subject.

No one is suggesting they actually want to live like that, but when you look at green ideology they want to stop coal mining and mining in general, if you stop mining and there is no coal available, what they want is not hard to see.

Yes I know what net zero means they want the carbon levels lower or equivalent to a set time scale in the past or as the aims of the Paris Accords pre-industrial levels, something which cannot be achieved as burning fossil fuels is going to happen now and in the future a fact that is indisputable.

The genie is well and truly out of the bottle much like nuclear weapons, society is too far advanced to return. yeah you can limit it to a degree but you are not going to stop it far to many vested interest politically and commercially

pune

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:51 am

And frankly I have a failure to understand why is it hard for people to understand or even relate to Shell own scientists who found out in 1980's that they were the ones who were doing the climate-agent. They were 'agents of change' so as to speak.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -Document3

And the document in itself is not that hard at all. It is just 100 odd pages. Written by Shell's own scientists who were hired for it. And the conclusion which they came up is that there will be rise in sea level markedly. It is because of that the oil majors pushed their oil platforms much above than required height. I really wanna understand the RW ideology here. How do they deny the above ??? How do they deny that the oil majors pushed their oil platforms much above the required height while at the same time pushing billions of dollars questioning climate science and denying the same.

Is it also a coincidence that electric vehicles were a norm in 1890s and then research was stopped till all the way till turn of century and even beyond. What all they did was make nothing but 'compliance cars' till Tesla challenged it.

A good synopsis of the various things which were there from 1890s onwards as far as EV revolution goes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5B4MM7G6k

Really tells who did the most back-stabbing :(

A101

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 pm

pune wrote:
And frankly I have a failure to understand why is it hard for people to understand or even relate to Shell own scientists who found out in 1980's that they were the ones who were doing the climate-agent. They were 'agents of change' so as to speak.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -Document3

And the document in itself is not that hard at all. It is just 100 odd pages. Written by Shell's own scientists who were hired for it. And the conclusion which they came up is that there will be rise in sea level markedly. It is because of that the oil majors pushed their oil platforms much above than required height. I really wanna understand the RW ideology here. How do they deny the above ??? How do they deny that the oil majors pushed their oil platforms much above the required height while at the same time pushing billions of dollars questioning climate science and denying the same.

Is it also a coincidence that electric vehicles were a norm in 1890s and then research was stopped till all the way till turn of century and even beyond. What all they did was make nothing but 'compliance cars' till Tesla challenged it.

A good synopsis of the various things which were there from 1890s onwards as far as EV revolution goes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5B4MM7G6k

Really tells who did the most back-stabbing :(

That comes back to what I was saying in regards to the vested interests commercially/ politically.

Nothing going to change unless renewables can out pace multinationals commercially/ politically and even then the burning of fossil fuels will continue, but the price of those fossil fuels will accelerate because of reduce demand making those remaining have to increase prices to make extraction worthwhile.

it’s the chicken & egg, you need fossil fuel for producing the green energy or products

pune

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:56 pm

Renewables will outpace fossil fuels eventually. As it is, Australia showed that renewables and esp. battery storage is and can be so worthwhile.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-big-bat ... blackouts/

What you have asked has been partially or fully answered in this -

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/07/eu ... predicted/

This idea that we can't live without fossil fuels is just plain wrong. Things change, habits change. There was a time in my country where VCP and VCR were the rage. Today, if you were to ask them, most of the time you will see a blank stare. Nothing is permanent except change.

And those not willing to change will die from it. In most markets around the world, both two-wheeler and four-wheeler vehicles sales are dropping off, the only ones which are rising are the EV ones. And if you look at modern EV factories, they believe in more circular economies. Just go on YT and search, you will find many examples of the same. And this is just the beginning, when it will be in full flow we can't even imagine now. For e.g. it seems by 2026 majority of vehicles on the road will be EV and the signs are already there. Even the long wait times for delivery won't be there in a couple of years.

ACDC8

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 am

pune wrote:
Renewables will outpace fossil fuels eventually. As it is, Australia showed that renewables and esp. battery storage is and can be so worthwhile.

This idea that we can't live without fossil fuels is just plain wrong. Things change, habits change. There was a time in my country where VCP and VCR were the rage. Today, if you were to ask them, most of the time you will see a blank stare. Nothing is permanent except change.

And those not willing to change will die from it. In most markets around the world, both two-wheeler and four-wheeler vehicles sales are dropping off, the only ones which are rising are the EV ones. And if you look at modern EV factories, they believe in more circular economies. Just go on YT and search, you will find many examples of the same. And this is just the beginning, when it will be in full flow we can't even imagine now. For e.g. it seems by 2026 majority of vehicles on the road will be EV and the signs are already there. Even the long wait times for delivery won't be there in a couple of years.

Eventually is the key word - it won't happen overnight and it won't happen next year, this is the reality you simply need to accept.

As far as EVs dominating the market by 2026, that is simply false. The latest reports predict that global sales of EVs being more than 50% won't happen until 2040, and even then, only about 30% of vehicles on the road at that time will be EV.

A101

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:12 am

pune wrote:

I agree that wind and battery will have there place in the future, but it won’t be for base load power

You also have to remember when SOuth Australia went for battery back up they were also going to build a gas fired power station, even now with battery storage SOuth Australia imports power from Victoria

pune

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:39 am

A101 wrote:
pune wrote:

I agree that wind and battery will have there place in the future, but it won’t be for base load power

You also have to remember when SOuth Australia went for battery back up they were also going to build a gas fired power station, even now with battery storage SOuth Australia imports power from Victoria

You are assuming and pre-supposing that these technologies will remain where they are. We have seen solar panels crash to earth and continue to become cheaper and cheaper. At the same time so much technology is happening you never know from where the next big breakthrough will come.

For e.g. there is this https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(19)30412-X . While this is now in experimental stage, the concept has proven to work even if it means lightning only a single LED bulb. And there are many competing technologies

https://www.intelligentliving.co/anti-s ... -darkness/

And there is lots even within existing technologies and frameworks that can lead to huge energy savings. For e.g. I know of my country and from what little I have read, there is 30-40% losses and the grid is primarily geared from state electricity boards (SEB's) to customers and not vice-versa. Sadly, in India we don't even a policy about it as UK has. This is where other countries could help us, sell us as well as do technology-transfer. At the end of the day environment is very similar to the virus. We can only be safe when we are together and do the same things. If at COP-26, even if they do agree and implement smart grids, it would lead to great savings for everybody, every country. At the end of the day, it is all about intention and implementation.

Mortyman

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:41 am

There is no easy solution to the problem. Most "solutions" have their own enviromental problems, just in a different way. This includes windturbines, hydroelectirc etc . The cost of moving from oil and gas to something else is enourmous and we don't really have all the technological solutios yet to get the amount we need to support homes, factories, cars etc

Here in Norway, the enviroment has been high on the agenda in the most recent election and some say we should stop oil production within a few years. Especially a lot of young people supports this idea and there is a couple of parties that has put almost their entire political capital into this. However, their "solutions" are so radical, that by the end of the ellection when the results came in, what everyone expected to be a big win for the "green parties " became a rather embarrissing show of force. Most likely because they play on peoples fear and feelings and talk a lot but don't have any realistic solutions. Turns out that most people don't want to go back to the stone age ...

pune

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:32 am

Mortyman wrote:
There is no easy solution to the problem. Most "solutions" have their own enviromental problems, just in a different way. This includes windturbines, hydroelectirc etc . The cost of moving from oil and gas to something else is enourmous and we don't really have all the technological solutios yet to get the amount we need to support homes, factories, cars etc

Here in Norway, the enviroment has been high on the agenda in the most recent election and some say we should stop oil production within a few years. Especially a lot of young people supports this idea and there is a couple of parties that has put almost their entire political capital into this. However, their "solutions" are so radical, that by the end of the ellection when the results came in, what everyone expected to be a big win for the "green parties " became a rather embarrissing show of force. Most likely because they play on peoples fear and feelings and talk a lot but don't have any realistic solutions. Turns out that most people don't want to go back to the stone age ...

Or they fear change or they fear the uncertainty. And I agree with that assessment. The point has to be taking communities along. I remember an article/story which I have shared here on some thread about a group of farmers who had a lot of vacant land, and they had heard a lot of bad press about wind farms and specially how many birds are killed. But then later they went to Norway or some of the other places where there are a number of wind farms, talked to the other farmers, had their experience and then came back and invested in wind farms. From what I could remember of the article, the payback is 8-10 years and with lesser electricity bills.

As far as birds are concerned, it was found out that it is actually cats which seem to have a genocidal tendencies against birds. They kill millions of birds every year. Now does that mean that every farmer needs to go that way, absolutely not. But it also tells that lot of misinformation is being spread about renewable energy and specifically by those companies who are going to be hurt and have not made enough investments to adapt to new realities. Their hope lies in lobbying and delaying things as far as possible.

Mortyman

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 am

pune wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Or they fear change or they fear the uncertainty. And I agree with that assessment. The point has to be taking communities along. I remember an article/story which I have shared here on some thread about a group of farmers who had a lot of vacant land, and they had heard a lot of bad press about wind farms and specially how many birds are killed. But then later they went to Norway or some of the other places where there are a number of wind farms, talked to the other farmers, had their experience and then came back and invested in wind farms. From what I could remember of the article, the payback is 8-10 years and with lesser electricity bills.

As far as birds are concerned, it was found out that it is actually cats which seem to have a genocidal tendencies against birds. They kill millions of birds every year. Now does that mean that every farmer needs to go that way, absolutely not. But it also tells that lot of misinformation is being spread about renewable energy and specifically by those companies who are going to be hurt and have not made enough investments to adapt to new realities. Their hope lies in lobbying and delaying things as far as possible.

Some would argue that a windmill farm ruins the landscape and views

Aesma

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:01 am

About cars and personal transportation going electric, I think most previsions are outdated. Even in developing countries EV scooters/bikes already make more sense than gas ones.

In 2040 who even will be manufacturing gas cars ? All the main manufacturers are already stopping development of engines, then they will convert their production lines to batteries and electric engines.

Moreover even if a country isn't doing enough regarding CO2 emissions, electric personal transportation is a low hanging fruit, so it will be prioritized.

ztarizona

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:
scbriml wrote:
kelval wrote:
English red brick house aren't any better in terms of energy efficiency.

Those houses are harder to insulate.
And then there's the 70-90ies energy eater houses with brick walls and almost nothing as far as insulation goes. And there are a lot of those, with a big oil boiler. Customers will change the doors and windows, insulate the roof, but won't do much more as it becomes really exoensive to insulate walls and floors.
You can't raze everything, and the cost of renovation can sometimes be prohibitive.

Our house is 150 years old with solid red brick walls. In winter the exterior walls are very cold. Most brick houses built in the last 30 years or so should all have cavity walls with a layer of insulation between the bricks, so they should be a lot better for a heat pump. We also have the misfortune to live in a conservation area where making significant changes to the houses is currently very difficult - for example, we cannot replace our old-style wooden sash windows with uPVC double or triple glazed units.

For your kind of house, there are still good solutions to be found. In the end, we need to divert from burning fossil fuels, so there is a huge market to solve any technical difficulties. And I do know of a couple of nice examples in the Netherlands where they have made monuments energy neutral. But that is way to technical to make a case for that online, on a forum.

Wouldn't it be great if we could send Senator (perhaps King) Manchin in President Biden's place so he could stand there and explain how we can transition all these things and still make his WV constituents feel warm and fuzzy about their jobs and lives, blissful as can be? Unfortunately I think this is going to be very, very difficult and a good portion of my fellow citizen are in for quite a surprise when the climate provisions of that reconciliation bill is publicly released

pune

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 pm

@ztarizona Who or which place is WV and why should they be surprised? Please share the full-form. Also share a bit more context here so we know, thank you. If anybody else knows what the gentleman above is talking about, they too can share the same.

ztarizona

Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:00 pm

pune wrote:
@ztarizona Who or which place is WV and why should they be surprised? Please share the full-form. Also share a bit more context here so we know, thank you. If anybody else knows what the gentleman above is talking about, they too can share the same.

WV is the state acronym for West Virginia, where Manchin is from. I forget this forum is international! One of his core constituencies are coal miners. WV or West Virginia is the third poorest state in the country. Coal is among the dirtiest burning fuels

"People" will be surprised because on the whole there is a feeling on the left that 'now is the time' to invest as a country in green energy. But I have a strong hunch climate change provisions are going to be significantly left out of this bill, as they need Manchin's vote to get it through the 51/50 US senate. The whole point was to try to get this done before Biden went to this summit so he could point at this deal and say "SEE! America has our act together!"

My point is, we should send Manchin to explain why we have to dither in the year 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ls-senator

pune

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:44 pm

ztarizona wrote:
pune wrote:

WV is the state acronym for West Virginia, where Manchin is from. I forget this forum is international! One of his core constituencies are coal miners. WV or West Virginia is the third poorest state in the country. Coal is among the dirtiest burning fuels

"People" will be surprised because on the whole there is a feeling on the left that 'now is the time' to invest as a country in green energy. But I have a strong hunch climate change provisions are going to be significantly left out of this bill, as they need Manchin's vote to get it through the 51/50 US senate. The whole point was to try to get this done before Biden went to this summit so he could point at this deal and say "SEE! America has our act together!"

My point is, we should send Manchin to explain why we have to dither in the year 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ls-senator

Is Kentucky part of the same state or is it in another state. Today, while browsing was seeing this -

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/ken ... 52047.html

Thank you for sharing that article, will surely read up on it :)

Aesma

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:50 pm

It's not really about Manchin's voters, he doesn't care about them. It's about his financial backers, and even his own investments, in coal.

A101

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:07 pm

pune wrote:
A101 wrote:
pune wrote:

You are assuming and pre-supposing that these technologies will remain where they are. We have seen solar panels crash to earth and continue to become cheaper and cheaper. At the same time so much technology is happening you never know from where the next big breakthrough will come.

For e.g. there is this https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(19)30412-X . While this is now in experimental stage, the concept has proven to work even if it means lightning only a single LED bulb. And there are many competing technologies

And there is lots even within existing technologies and frameworks that can lead to huge energy savings. For e.g. I know of my country and from what little I have read, there is 30-40% losses and the grid is primarily geared from state electricity boards (SEB's) to customers and not vice-versa. Sadly, in India we don't even a policy about it as UK has. This is where other countries could help us, sell us as well as do technology-transfer. At the end of the day environment is very similar to the virus. We can only be safe when we are together and do the same things. If at COP-26, even if they do agree and implement smart grids, it would lead to great savings for everybody, every country. At the end of the day, it is all about intention and implementation.

Agree, tech will not stand still who knows what will scale up and what won’t but we are talking decades before any of it is viable

But also in saying that there is no getting away from burning fossil fuel, you still need coal to build things you will still need crude/condensate out of the ground to make lubes

All my houses in AU/UK have solar panels fitted, I export power in the day and import at night and I use the most power at night. At the end of the day I am only off settingbthe difference in price from export to import but my power usesge remains static. I can afford it a lot of people can’t

Aesma

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:30 pm

A carbon tax at the EU border is coming to level things.

pune

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am

A101 wrote:
pune wrote:
A101 wrote:

Agree, tech will not stand still who knows what will scale up and what won’t but we are talking decades before any of it is viable

But also in saying that there is no getting away from burning fossil fuel, you still need coal to build things you will still need crude/condensate out of the ground to make lubes

All my houses in AU/UK have solar panels fitted, I export power in the day and import at night and I use the most power at night. At the end of the day I am only off setting the difference in price from export to import but my power usage remains static. I can afford it a lot of people can’t.

Nope, not necessarily. It is up to utilities to see where they want to make investments or not.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/22/en ... ble-power/

I do agree that not just Affordability but also multiple choice power aggregators in the market will determine if it will be successful or not. If you have got monopoly (like in India it is either the state electricity board (SEB) or private power and practically no difference between the two except the private producer is far more corrupt than the SEB),

I can't tell or vouch for China but in India, many Indians don't want coal (at least the medium class doesn't) but the people who are in power make the rules. Adani (Carmichael mine AU) is as much a nuisance in India as he is elsewhere. And he is the best friend of Mr. Modi, so he basically can do whatever he wants. There has been evidence of him round-tripping off funds, doing all sorts of nasty things, but all of it washes over. Even his younger brother is named in Paradise Papers as he made a couple of shell companies to move money/capital, but nothing seems to unfaze them.

https://www.survivalinternational.org/news/12656

Goa, which used to be a pristine place, is now full of coal fumes. A lot of coal is mined and then some of it washed, the polluted water gets mixed and is part of the water supply. The air is full of pollutants and perhaps will be for decades as coal dust is in the air and everywhere. Even the national capital Delhi is one of the worst polluted cities in the world. Unlike China, India is not an export hub :(

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/2/2 ... gain-study

pune

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am

There is another thing that people are not thinking about, the slow and steady drumbeat of AI and automation. Many of these jobs that are being thought of as life-long will no longer be true. I know there are a couple or programmers in the fora, they know what is happening to the beginner crop now. Similarly, with innovations such as Tesla's FSD https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/tesla_(car_company)/fsd_chip and others, lot of jobs are gonna evaporate over the next decade. Of course, politicians and businesses can continue to be ruthless without having a care about people's health and more concerned about their pockets.

An E.g. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/19 ... o-madness/

The above does seem pretty much similar to another one we know, don't we, the Boeing 737 Max saga. Same to same everything. No difference :(

pune

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 pm

MohawkWeekend

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:31 am

Might not population be a contributing factor to this problem? Even living in a mud hut, you cut down trees and burn wood for fuel and have some burbing livestock. And all those folks aspire for a better life where they live or where they are migrating to.
World population
1981 - 4.511 billion
2021 - 7.874 billion
2061 - 10.186 billion est

Aaron747

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:42 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Might not population be a contributing factor to this problem? Even living in a mud hut, you cut down trees and burn wood for fuel and have some burbing livestock. And all those folks aspire for a better life where they live or where they are migrating to.
World population
1981 - 4.511 billion
2021 - 7.874 billion
2061 - 10.186 billion est

It is certainly a contributing factor. It has been estimated that without advanced tech the sustainable human population for the planet is under 3 billion. We do however possess advanced tech - the problem is level of investment and slow adoption.

pune

Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:21 pm

pune

Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:23 pm

As far as commercial load storage is concerned, had seen this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edVjYofLYc4

The only thing missing is investment and slow adoption as pointed out by the gentleman above.

Re: COP-21

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:10 pm

gkirk wrote:
Welcome to Scotland, where public transport will be on strike :D

Don't worry. Politicians and their billionaire puppet masters will travel in style by private plane. After all, climate rules are for the little people, not the "important people".

https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/10/ ... -jet-guide

pune

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
gkirk wrote:

Don't worry. Politicians and their billionaire puppet masters will travel in style by private plane. After all, climate rules are for the little people, not the "important people".

The biggest irony in all this is that COP26 is being held in the UK, which itself had been the leading producer of pollution for millennia.

https://www.medievalists.net/2019/10/ho ... pollution/

Aaron747

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:52 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
gkirk wrote:

Aviation is only responsible for 2-3% of total emissions, so 'climate rules' concerning it are window dressing anyhow. Coal is 46%, livestock 14% and heavy industry 22%, so perhaps we should stay concerned with what's happening with those.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
gkirk wrote:

Aviation is only responsible for 2-3% of total emissions, so 'climate rules' concerning it are window dressing anyhow. Coal is 46%, livestock 14% and heavy industry 22%, so perhaps we should stay concerned with what's happening with those.

Ah yes, the excuse for not doing anything. We need to do all, including aviation.

pune

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 pm

True, and in India, GOI doing what it wants, and of course our representative will go and talk goody-good words. That is the only thing he knows.

https://www.newsclick.in/Centre-Exempts ... c-Hearings

Aaron747

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Ah yes, the excuse for not doing anything. We need to do all, including aviation.

I did not state ‘aviation should do nothing’.