Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

Dune (no spoilers)

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:17 pm

I've seen the movie 2 weeks ago. For some reason it isn't out in the US yet.

I liked it. I've read all the books a long time ago so I won't comment on this or that detail that wasn't respected, but I thought overall it was a good experience, I was really transported into the universe.

I'm not one to watch trailers or look for any tidbit of info on upcoming movies, on the contrary I avoid doing so, especially for movies I'm certain to go see anyway. So I think I had heard the info, but had forgotten it : it's only "Part 1". "Part 2" hasn't been greenlit yet.

So please, go see it if you can and it's your cup of tea of course, so we can get the other half.

leader1

Re: Dune (no spoilers)

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:44 pm

For some odd reason, there are NO spoiler scenes on YouTube, nor is there a plot summary on Wiki even though this movie has been out for about a month already overseas. They've done a really good job of scrubbing any spoiler from the web. I'll most likely watch it tomorrow on HBO, when it's released.

Aesma
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:07 am

Is that part of the subscription or will you pay something ?

leader1

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 am

Aesma wrote:

I believe it is part of the subscription plan. At least I hope so. It will only be available on HBO MAX for 31 days and then it’s only available in theaters.

JJJ

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 am

Quite enjoyed it, but then again I also enjoyed David Lynch's version. LSD and all.

I started the book several times because it was laying around the house, finally succeeded at 14 or 15-ish, then re-read it a couple times when I was older (also to read it in the original English) but stopped at God Emperor, never got around to check the piles of stuff that came later.

I think the film captures the essence pretty well. I'm looking forward to the 2nd part.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 pm

leader1 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I believe it is part of the subscription plan. At least I hope so. It will only be available on HBO MAX for 31 days and then it’s only available in theaters.

Ok, for some reason I did not know that. Thanks.

steman

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 am

I was also quite surprised to see that the movie is being released in the US several weeks after Europe and other Countries. I watched it 3 weeks ago and I enjoyed it very much. I thinks the cast is great and captures the essence of the book. The books (all of them, including prequels and sequels written by Frank Herbert´s son) I have read them all. The original Saga I have read three times, first in Italian (my mother tongue) when I was a child and then in English when I was older. I loved David Lynch´s version and I had big expectations for this new adaptation. And I am not disappointed. My only complaint is that the 3D version is not worth it. I actually dislike 3D movies. They are darker, because of the glasses and the 3D effects don´t add any value. But i have been forced by my friends to watch it in 3D. I really hope there will be a sequel to bring the story to the conclusion of the first book.

pune

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:12 pm

I have read couple of books, will probably watch it tomorrow or the day after. What stands for me is the scope of the vision. Most books even in fantasy usually do for a strech of time. If sci-fi say at the most couple of centuries. But the first time I read one of the books, it just blew me away. Having a canvass to paint thousands of years over multiple regimes and whatnot and yet sitll be able to able to tell a somewhat coherent story isn't an easy cup of tea for sure.

I haven't seen and have also tempered my expectations as have seen that if you approach a movie without expectation, you generally have a positive outcome.

wingman

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:47 pm

I knew of the prior films but had never seen nor read any of this material before last night. I thought the movie was excellent all around. Id urge anyone pmanning to see it to do so in a quality theater or at home on a large format projection system. It’s refreshing to see an absolute movie spectacle that isn’t the 80th incarnation of more superhero crap.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:03 pm

pune : there is also Asimov's Foundation that spans millennia, and is being made as a TV series right now. I'm buying a 4K OLED TV because of all the SF TV series there are these days (and also plan to watch older stuff I haven't seen yet).

For movies though I'd rather see them in a cinema (until I have my own home cinema room, complete with projector and silver screen).

I'm glad you all liked Dune so far.

Another thing, I had played Dune II on my first computer and Dune 2000 on my second one, I hope they make a new one. A similar RTS one, but I guess an adventure one would also be nice.

pune

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:24 am

Aesma wrote:
pune : there is also Asimov's Foundation that spans millennia, and is being made as a TV series right now. I'm buying a 4K OLED TV because of all the SF TV series there are these days (and also plan to watch older stuff I haven't seen yet).

For movies though I'd rather see them in a cinema (until I have my own home cinema room, complete with projector and silver screen).

I'm glad you all liked Dune so far.

Another thing, I had played Dune II on my first computer and Dune 2000 on my second one, I hope they make a new one. A similar RTS one, but I guess an adventure one would also be nice.

I have heard about it but haven't read it so dunno, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Saw Dune, wasn't impressed but wasn't dulled either. What probably saved me is as I shared going with no expectations at all. The books and sequels I read years ago and didn't re-read it as once you start re-reading you want to read them all. I haven't got all of them but still a few.

For me the movie was more or less like an opera and then again I had seen the previous one which many sadly didn't understand as they hadn't read the material. This one requires no prior understanding or knowing what has happened in the books.

In sci-fi though, if there is a series I would like to see is something on the lines of the wandering earth. The number of plot lines are just unimaginable. You could do and have all sorts of crazy plot lines never attempted before. Instead of few people, several million using outer space for good and bad. It really saddened me they didn't do more than the material they had at hand. If I were a western producer, I would have gone and tried to buy rights to a new series or something on those lines. Another way would have been something like Orville, just have different people and different suits and call it by another name. With the James Webb Telescope going up in the near future, I am sure many discoveries will make it into sci-fi lore. Hell, imagine a story about people stranded which has multiple satellites. How does that affect gravity, how would it affect humans. All sorts of questions.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/

I found that idea to be pretty cool, although on technology level we are nowhere there. Would need to run up couple of steps on the ladder of Kardashev scale -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

DocLightning

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:37 pm

It was a work of artistry.

The cinematography was amazing. The choice of landscapes was perfect. The set design was perfect and conveyed the deep history of civilization while not distracting from the action. The casting was spot-on. I thought that the first two attempts (1984 and 2000) featured some really wooden dialog. In this one, the acting was fluid and believable. The costuming was very well-done. I really liked the idea of a heighliner as a tunnel through which one could pass in a well-timed jump.

And then...there were the true stars of the movie. The 'thopters.

THIS was the film adaptation we were waiting to see. I LOVED it!

pune

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm

DocLightning wrote:
It was a work of artistry.

The cinematography was amazing. The choice of landscapes was perfect. The set design was perfect and conveyed the deep history of civilization while not distracting from the action. The casting was spot-on. I thought that the first two attempts (1984 and 2000) featured some really wooden dialog. In this one, the acting was fluid and believable. The costuming was very well-done. I really liked the idea of a heighliner as a tunnel through which one could pass in a well-timed jump.

And then...there were the true stars of the movie. The 'thopters.

THIS was the film adaptation we were waiting to see. I LOVED it!

Set design bit I agree. Other things, as I said, were ok for me. It didn't blew me as much as I was expecting. Maybe when the 2-3 series are done, and then you look at the overall material, it would change. Of course, they could do it like Star Wars as there are something 60+ books the last I was looking at it on Wikipedia, so it isn't as if they are gonna run out of written material any time soon ;)

What was missing for me was the huge canvass I was talking about. Hopefully in the next movie or the other after that or whenever they wanna do, they do a time jump or something so people know. Those who have Star Trek and read it a few times do know how weird 'time' could be. So again, a lot of possibility to play with that if they wanted to. I would be looking forward to the next one, hopefully soonish ;)

Aesma
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Success !

Dune part 2 has been greenlighted : https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... l-details/

As an aside as often with popular movies an unrelated, low budget crap one has been produced : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15331462/