Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pune
Topic Author

Stillwater = In America you can't vote once you are arrested ???

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 pm

I was watching this movie Stillwater = Matt Damon

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10696896/

In this around 40 minutes in the movie, Matt's character is asked if he voted for Trump. He denies and then said he didn't vote. And then he says once arrested, can't vote. Can anybody tell/ascertain what is the truth ??? Does it happen like that in U.S. or also other countries that you can't vote even after serving time for whatever you might have done.

ChrisKen

Re: Stillwater = In America you can't vote once you are arrested ???

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 pm

https://www.usa.gov/who-can-vote

Arrest does not in itself bar you from voting. Cannot vote whilst detained in prison. Only a handful of felony convictions remove the right to vote post sentence (depending on state). The list is being reduced as states move towards restoring more rights post serving of sentence.

pune
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 am

ChrisKen wrote:
https://www.usa.gov/who-can-vote

Arrest does not in itself bar you from voting. Cannot vote whilst detained in prison. Only a handful of felony convictions remove the right to vote post sentence (depending on state). The list is being reduced as states move towards restoring more rights post serving of sentence.

Thsnk you, it varries from state to state, didn't know that. Thanx a lot :)

Aesma

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:18 pm

I found it interesting that they relocated the story from Italy to France...

Also about who can't vote, I really don't get this one : For president in the general election: U.S. citizens residing in U.S. territories

fr8mech

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:15 am

Aesma wrote:
Also about who can't vote, I really don't get this one : For president in the general election: U.S. citizens residing in U.S. territories

Yeah, I don't understand that, either. My father is a US citizen living in Greece, but he can vote in a presidential election, but he woulddn't be able to if he lived in Guam? Makes no sense.

Aaron747

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:30 am

fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand that, either. My father is a US citizen living in Greece, but he can vote in a presidential election, but he woulddn't be able to if he lived in Guam? Makes no sense.

Actually it makes even less sense than that. Your father would likely be able to vote from Guam if he has maintained an address or links to a home state - a Guamanian living in Guam wouldn’t be able to.

Aesma

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am

In the story there is an American girl in a French jail. If she can get mail (she should) then can she vote in the US presidential election ?

I checked how it is in France and most prisoners don't get a sentence regarding their civics rights (it's mostly for politicians screwing up) and they can theoretically vote from prison. But in fact they're not allowed to vote if they have gotten a sentence longer than 5 years, until they have done half the time. I'm seeing this on a government website but the way its phrased I'm guessing that is some kind of prison rule, not really a law.

https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr ... roit-voter

Loss of civics rights is a separate sentence and lasts usually longer than any prison time, but that's mainly because our politicians rarely see the inside of a jail. They get maybe a 5 years ban from voting and getting elected, 10 years at most.