Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pune
Topic Author

International Airports and prayer room

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi all,
I have been to few Airports where there is a prayer room which is open for all denominations, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Jews the list I guess can go on and on. I am curious to know however, is this a feature of all international airports or only a few ???

c933103

Re: International Airports and prayer room

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:48 pm

As an a-religious person I think it would be a better idea to have a room of silence over a room of religious function?

johns624

Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:41 pm

DTW has Reflection Rooms.

pune
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm

johns624 wrote:

DTW elaboration please ???

johns624

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:56 pm

pune wrote:
johns624 wrote:

#2 hub for Delta. Detroit.

pune
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:37 pm

johns624 wrote:
pune wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Ah, but wanted to know how say reflection rooms are different than say common relaxation rooms. Is there a difference, if there is, then what, thank you.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Sydney (yssy) has or had such a room but I’ve never seen it used it.

What such a room is called has little significance to me.

meecrob

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:19 pm

c933103 wrote:
As an a-religious person I think it would be a better idea to have a room of silence over a room of religious function?

Pfft, that'll be the day!

Signed,
Another "second-class" Citizen

WesternDC6B

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:08 am

pune wrote:
johns624 wrote:
pune wrote:

Ah, but wanted to know how say reflection rooms are different than say common relaxation rooms. Is there a difference, if there is, then what, thank you.

Probably - because the airport is government owned - someone kicked up a fuss about it being called a prayer room, endorsing religion blah blah. So, a "safe" name.

I am not the least bit religious but have no issue with prayer rooms being CALLED prayer rooms. More important things, well, prey on my thoughts right now.

seb146

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 am

The interfaith meditation room at SEA is nice. I don't think there was one at PDX. There are a couple of quite spaces at SFO.

Kent350787

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 am

cpd wrote:

All major Australian airports have at least one prayer room, although in Perth it is called a Quiet Room "for prayer or quiet contemplation". Sydney has one in the International terminal , mostly for travellers, plus another near the taxi bay for drivers.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:47 am

Kent350787 wrote:
cpd wrote:

All major Australian airports have at least one prayer room, although in Perth it is called a Quiet Room "for prayer or quiet contemplation". Sydney has one in the International terminal , mostly for travellers, plus another near the taxi bay for drivers.

Nice, cool :)

ltbewr

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:49 pm

JFK airport in Terminal 4 has 4 religious facilities, assigned ministers at them for those of the Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths. This link is as of 2017, it may be different from today due to the Pandemic. https://portfolio.panynj.gov/2017/03/30 ... ry-at-jfk/ When JFK was built in the 1950's, there were 3 chapel buildings outside of the terminals, they were torn down in the 1980's (from my recall) to provide more parking and other needs.

EWR has a small interfaith chapel inside security of Terminal C - https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airpor ... d-services

LGA currently had no faith or 'quiet' room, in large part it is due to massive renovations underway and issues with the private partners as to providing space.

pune
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm

ltbewr wrote:
JFK airport in Terminal 4 has 4 religious facilities, assigned ministers at them for those of the Jewish, Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths. This link is as of 2017, it may be different from today due to the Pandemic. https://portfolio.panynj.gov/2017/03/30 ... ry-at-jfk/ When JFK was built in the 1950's, there were 3 chapel buildings outside of the terminals, they were torn down in the 1980's (from my recall) to provide more parking and other needs.

EWR has a small interfaith chapel inside security of Terminal C - https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airpor ... d-services

LGA currently had no faith or 'quiet' room, in large part it is due to massive renovations underway and issues with the private partners as to providing space.

That is understood. The pandemic will bring its own share of grief and in more than one ways. :(

ACDC8

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:23 pm

YVR has a interfaith Chapel in the International Arrivals area, also a "quiet" room after security at the D Gates.

Dusseldorf has a meditation room for interfaith meditation and is also used as a memorial for the victims of the fire they had back in 96.

Acey559

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:24 pm

I go to Catholic mass at ORD quite often. With my schedule it's often the most convenient place/ time to make mass. Not too many places in the States have them (I believe DFW has a chapel of some sort as well) so I definitely appreciate ORD having one. And of course it's not just for Catholics, I'm just speaking from personal experience. My only gripe is that it's outside security, but that's certainly not the end of the world.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:07 pm

In IAH it's called the Interfaith Chapel. Nothing much really and no items of religious symbolism/significance. Just a quiet room with some chairs and I think some flowers in the front for some mild, religion-safe decor.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 am

Kent350787 wrote:
cpd wrote:

I didn't know about the one for taxi drivers. That's a nice touch. Must admit I've not taken a taxi in an extremely long time.

ltbewr

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:31 am

cpd wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
cpd wrote:

I didn't know about the one for taxi drivers. That's a nice touch. Must admit I've not taken a taxi in an extremely long time.

In some cities, significant numbers of the taxi drivers may be of faiths like Islam which asks followers to pray several times a day, so having a facility for them makes sense.

flipdewaf

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 am

Are there any that will late me make sacrifices? Like goats and stuff.

Fred

pune
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:20 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Are there any that will late me make sacrifices? Like goats and stuff.

Fred

From what I hear, if you are in the UK, you can do it for free, in fact they may even pay you as they don't seem to have enough vehicles and drivers to take animals from one place to the other.

stl07

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:46 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
pune wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Probably - because the airport is government owned - someone kicked up a fuss about it being called a prayer room, endorsing religion blah blah. So, a "safe" name.

I am not the least bit religious but have no issue with prayer rooms being CALLED prayer rooms. More important things, well, prey on my thoughts right now.

:rotfl: We couldn't even get a few posts in about an airport prayer room without someone getting offended and wanting to call it a "room of silence". Nobody is stopping you from using the prayer room for meditation or anything else if you are not praying

stl07

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:50 am

Acey559 wrote:
I go to Catholic mass at ORD quite often. With my schedule it's often the most convenient place/ time to make mass. Not too many places in the States have them (I believe DFW has a chapel of some sort as well) so I definitely appreciate ORD having one. And of course it's not just for Catholics, I'm just speaking from personal experience. My only gripe is that it's outside security, but that's certainly not the end of the world.

As far as I remember, they have two of them in STL for each terminal as well

WesternDC6B

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:09 am

stl07 wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
pune wrote:

:rotfl: We couldn't even get a few posts in about an airport prayer room without someone getting offended and wanting to call it a "room of silence". Nobody is stopping you from using the prayer room for meditation or anything else if you are not praying

I'm not the one complaining. I am explaining the likely reason for the term "reflection", and not "prayer". I'm not that touchy about such things; your mileage my vary.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:22 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
I'm not that touchy about such things; your mileage my vary.

I’m sure catholic priests are still allowed in but I’m pretty sure being touchy definitely isn’t allowed.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zrs70

Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:02 am

As is often the case with prayer spaces, you often don't think they are important ---- until you need one.

I've seen many distraught passengers gather in these spaces. Who knows why they are distraught? But they need a space to collect thoughts.