Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest
Topic Author

PETA wants to rename the baseball pitching area to "Arm Barn"

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/29/10504856 ... o-arm-barn
PETA is pitching Major League Baseball to retire the term "bullpen" and use "arm barn" instead. The animal rights group says "bullpen" mocks the misery of animals and devalues players.

The article has some nice suggestions, but doesn't the TB Ray Tank ,do the same thing as Bull Pen?

I think PETA is out of their mind on this one, but let's not waste time on that. What other suggestions can we come up with?

Atlanta ? Reservation Pen?
Houston? Launch Ready zone?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: PETA wants to rename the baseball pitching area to "Arm Barn"

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:05 pm

“This something up with which I will not put”. WSC

Were any bulls injured in the bull pen? What is PETA on about?

fr8mech

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:17 pm

As PETA slowly descends into further irrelevance.

Brewers: Bar Stool
Mariners: The Beach
Red/White Sox: Sock Drawer

Too easy.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:42 pm

fr8mech wrote:

Too easy.

Yankees... : No... I think Arm Barn works :)

Newark727

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:53 pm

As time goes on I grow more and more convinced that PETA is some kind of elaborate long-form performance art project.

Anyway, it's obviously the Pitcher Plant.

Aaron747

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:53 pm

Love ‘the Sock Drawer’ :lol:

An alternative:
Mariners: The Dock

Cards: The Perch
Padres: Confessional, Rectory
Nats: the Gallery
SF: Backend DevOps

So PETA doesn’t like bullpen but the D’Backs, Tigers, and Marlins are okay? Whatevs.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:22 pm

Its silly stuff like this that hurts PETA's legitimate issues of animal abuse and treatment. Focus on getting more pet animals spayed and neutered, go after 'puppy mills', go after 'cat ladies' who mistreat them in their delusions, keeping animals from extinction.

WesternDC6B

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:45 am

fr8mech wrote:

Too easy.

Dodgers: The Car Barn

Why? Because the name harks back to their days in Brooklyn. They were Dodgers, as in dodging passing street cars. Street cars were stored and serviced in.... car barns!

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:42 am

Red Sox should call it the Lobster Pound, just because.

fr8mech

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:54 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Red Sox should call it the Lobster Pound, just because.

But, the poor lobsters...Lobster Pound is reminiscent of pounding those succulent claws with a mallet.

cpd

Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:59 am

casinterest wrote:
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/29/1050485610/peta-wants-mlb-to-rename-the-bullpen-to-arm-barn
PETA is pitching Major League Baseball to retire the term "bullpen" and use "arm barn" instead. The animal rights group says "bullpen" mocks the misery of animals and devalues players.

The article has some nice suggestions, but doesn't the TB Ray Tank ,do the same thing as Bull Pen?

I think PETA is out of their mind on this one, but let's not waste time on that. What other suggestions can we come up with?

Atlanta ? Reservation Pen?

Does such an area even need a name? I don't follow the sport, but the whole thing seems a massive storm in a teacup from all the sides involved. Yeah I know it's historical and it's the way it always has been.... argh.

In baseball, the bullpen (or simply the pen) is the area where relief pitchers warm up before entering a game. A team's roster of relief pitchers is also metonymically referred to as "the bullpen".

Bah so what... Can both sides move on to the next outrage? Maybe I'm just too cynical these days.

Classa64

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:19 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Its silly stuff like this that hurts PETA's legitimate issues of animal abuse and treatment. Focus on getting more pet animals spayed and neutered, go after 'puppy mills', go after 'cat ladies' who mistreat them in their delusions, keeping animals from extinction.

This! ^^^
They need to be using there resources and the money people are paying them to go after puppy mills etc just like you said, some of there stunts and tactics are just making themselves look like extremists on a mission.
Why don't they find the guy that was using free kittens (given away by people up in my area) for muskie bait, and stop worrying about the mental status of a pig going to slaughter.

C.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:12 pm

casinterest wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Too easy.

Yankees... : No... I think Arm Barn works :)

How about "Mo's room"

seb146

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Years and years ago, I had a friend who was insane about baseball. He played every chance he got, he tried out for every club he could, he eventually got a degree in sports medicine and sports management since he could not play. One thing he said always stuck with me and that was if he were a ball club manager, he would wear a suit instead of a uniform. That made sense at the time, but, managers now wear uniforms because of history. Back in the early days, managers would actually play so the tradition just stayed.

Now I am curious about the origin of the term "bull pen". I can't imagine any bulls being held at the Polo Grounds in New York or Wrigley Field...

johns624

Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I've always questioned the "spay and neuter all pets" thing. If you do, where else are you going to get pets other than "puppy mills"?

T18

Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:46 pm

So when does PETA notice that calling them animals is speciesist language too?

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm

seb146 wrote:
Years and years ago, I had a friend who was insane about baseball. He played every chance he got, he tried out for every club he could, he eventually got a degree in sports medicine and sports management since he could not play. One thing he said always stuck with me and that was if he were a ball club manager, he would wear a suit instead of a uniform. That made sense at the time, but, managers now wear uniforms because of history. Back in the early days, managers would actually play so the tradition just stayed.

Now I am curious about the origin of the term "bull pen". I can't imagine any bulls being held at the Polo Grounds in New York or Wrigley Field...

Wikipedia has some theories, most going back to the origins of the game. Stengel theory was Casey was tired of relievers shooting the bull in the dugout, so he sent them elsewhere. Also, the fenced in area to warm up pitchers looked like rodeo pens where the bulls were released into the arena.

L410Turbolet

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:43 pm

johns624 wrote:
If you do, where else are you going to get pets other than "puppy mills"?

To love animals not necessarily means one has to OWN animals.
Last edited by L410Turbolet on Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johns624

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:58 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
johns624 wrote:
If you do, where else are you going to get pets other than "puppy mills"?

So dogs will be something you go to the zoo to look at?

VolvoBus

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:09 am

seb146 wrote:

I recall reading somewhere that all persons in the dug-out areas during the game must be in uniform,by MLB rule. This includes coaches as well as managers.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:44 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:

That’s like saying I own my kids.

I have responsibility for my pets. And, in return, I get companionship and, dare I say it, love from my dogs. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Cats, on the other hand, just provide you with disdain.

cjg225

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:56 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Cats, on the other hand, just provide you with disdain.

Because they are superior beings and merely tolerate our existence.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:10 pm

seb146 wrote:
One thing he said always stuck with me and that was if he were a ball club manager, he would wear a suit instead of a uniform. That made sense at the time, but, managers now wear uniforms because of history. Back in the early days, managers would actually play so the tradition just stayed.

https://www.mlb.com/news/why-do-mlb-man ... r-uniforms

As we say in the fire service (well, not anymore, since my fire service days are long gone) 200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

Nothing in here about a manager’s uniform:

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/im ... m8wnjq.pdf

moo

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Congratulations to everyone in this thread, you have done what PETA set out to achieve - get their name and agendas discussed on the internet.

You have been trolled. By PETA.

They do not care about the actual thing they protest against - they pick extreme things to protest about precisely because it gets people talking about PETA, and they as an organization take the "no publicity is bad publicity" stance to the Nth degree. So long as people don't actually discuss the *real* PETA that is...

As an organization, they care more about the activism than they do about the thing they are campaigning for - they have one of the highest kill rates of "rescued" dogs and cats in the US, their "rescue centres" are anything but and animals who go to one are almost certainly dead within a week. They have been known to take well cared for pets from back yards and kill them within days.

PETA don't actively care about baseball or whatever the pitching area is called, they have chosen it because it has a vaguely "yeah, that could be animal activism for sure" air to it, but the goal is to get you talking about them and raising their visibility - so, whenever you do talk about them, remember that they like to kill animals, their stance is that an animal is better off dead than a pet.

https://petakillsanimals.com/

VolvoBus

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:44 pm

cjg225 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Cats, on the other hand, just provide you with disdain.

Because they are superior beings and merely tolerate our existence.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

FGITD

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:28 pm

fr8mech wrote:
seb146 wrote:
One thing he said always stuck with me and that was if he were a ball club manager, he would wear a suit instead of a uniform. That made sense at the time, but, managers now wear uniforms because of history. Back in the early days, managers would actually play so the tradition just stayed.

As we say in the fire service (well, not anymore, since my fire service days are long gone) 200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.

Baseball is fascinating if for no other reason than because it’s existed more or less in its current form for so long.

Another interesting and practical point is that baseball is unlike most other sports in that coaches are on the field of play while the game is in progress. So they need to be easily recognizable.

It is however always funny to see the 70 year old coach come out in his uniform.

bpatus297

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm

fr8mech wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:

I have responsibility for my pets. And, in return, I get companionship and, dare I say it, love from my dogs. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Cats, on the other hand, just provide you with disdain.

This^^

seb146

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm

FGITD wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Baseball is fascinating if for no other reason than because it’s existed more or less in its current form for so long.

Another interesting and practical point is that baseball is unlike most other sports in that coaches are on the field of play while the game is in progress. So they need to be easily recognizable.

It is however always funny to see the 70 year old coach come out in his uniform.

That's something that has bothered me about football over the past couple of decades. We went from easily recognizing who the coach is by his clothing to looking like he just got off his lounge chair five minutes before the game. I get the tradition with baseball but maybe someone could take a cue from hockey and basketball?

L410Turbolet

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:19 pm

fr8mech wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:

You've bought your kids in a pet store? :roll:

meecrob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Nah man, I bought them at the local department store...got a good blue light special too!

zakuivcustom

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:50 am

casinterest wrote:

After seeing Astros in the WS, they may just as well call the bullpen "Launchpad" or "Launch Ready Zone"...for the other team.