Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:02 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:

So what you're saying is that any doctor, bus driver, cop, pilot, firefighter, or train engineer should not be allowed to work if they are going through a divorce.



Someone who handles events, be it divorce or otherwise traumatic loss, —to include imaginary ones in his case— this poorly, has no business at the pointy end.

My reply was very clear on that the first time, by the way. Read it again, —slowly if you need to— as I will not respond again if you insist on understanding it as poorly as you did here. Nothing personal, mind, there just is not the time for all that.
 
NLINK
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:20 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:03 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:
Nonrevhell wrote:
Inappropriate behavior by a pilot, we don't need to hear this crap from a pilot.



Just as I should not hear the same crap at sporting event or in a college class.


Sports clubs are often family-owned businesses, and as such will express their political views or allow staff/players to do so if they choose. As a fan it's up to you whether to accept that or not. Also a different situation.



If I’m NFL game I’m there to watch a good football game or a favorite team. Not some player who is a nobody be disrespectful and listens to him preach. There is zero difference than what the pilot did.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:04 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:
It’s no difference than college professors pushing his or her political views in a classroom which are usually very left.


Not an apt comparison. Universities hire academics to achieve a spread of viewpoints in their faculty. Airlines hire pilots to fly airplanes competently and take care of their customers.


Teachers and professors are hired to competently teach a curriculum of a certain subject that is relevant to the student and their understanding of it. They are there to take care of their students and ensure their education is met to its fullest without political views or viewpoints. Even a political science teacher has the obligation to teach both sides of the subject matter. However we are seeing all too often these days teachers and professors who abuse this and teach a certain mindset of curriculum, or worse yet a view that is not even relevant to their subject matter, which is a one sided approach.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:06 am

[twoid][/twoid]
bpat777 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
“Unsafe”? The guy made a joke, chill out LOL. Unnecessarily political, maybe, but his joking comment had no actual affect on anyone. Southwest crews have always been known for playful joking/antics. Let the guy be a little loose. It’s what separates Southwest from everyone else. How does this make the news?


If a pilot spoke of his support for B.L.M. over the PA would those of you supporting him feel the same? Or is the support and downplaying only for views you believe in?


Walking through any airport today will expose one to TV broadcasts and billboards that are a preponderance of one sided views.
Apparel by flight attendants and gate agents are also apparent.
The in-flight magazines are now only able to support a more ‘progressive’ view.

In other words, we live inba world with seemingly everything trying to make a statement.

I have to keep my ‘ignore’ button pushed most of the time. I survived just fine doing so. Someone else can do it for 5 seconds.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:06 am

NLINK wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:


Just as I should not hear the same crap at sporting event or in a college class.


Sports clubs are often family-owned businesses, and as such will express their political views or allow staff/players to do so if they choose. As a fan it's up to you whether to accept that or not. Also a different situation.



If I’m NFL game I’m there to watch a good football game or a favorite team. Not some player who is a nobody be disrespectful and listens to him preach. There is zero difference than what the pilot did.


That's your opinion as a spectator, mine is different. Players regularly interface with the media - some use that platform for activism, some don't. It's up to the owners whether that's okay - it's their name on the checks.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

So what you're saying is that any doctor, bus driver, cop, pilot, firefighter, or train engineer should not be allowed to work if they are going through a divorce.



Someone who handles events, be it divorce or otherwise traumatic loss, —to include imaginary ones in his case— this poorly, has no business at the pointy end.

My reply was very clear on that the first time, by the way. Read it again, —slowly if you need to— as I will not respond again if you insist on understanding it as poorly as you did here. Nothing personal, mind, there just is not the time for all that.


Your reply was as clear as butter the first time, thus you should refrain from speaking about subjects you have no understanding of, which only compounds the matter.
 
THS214
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:09 am

If a pilot goes political and can't restrain himself from it its a CRM problem. What if the other pilot doesn't agree? Maybe the other pilot becomes afraid of saying anything to the other pilot with strong opinions? That has no room in a cockpit. Its an anger management problem from the pilot. If he's mentally ok he would not say something even remotely political on PA.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:09 am

NLINK wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:
It’s no difference than college professors pushing his or her political views in a classroom which are usually very left.


Not an apt comparison. Universities hire academics to achieve a spread of viewpoints in their faculty. Airlines hire pilots to fly airplanes competently and take care of their customers.



It is the same. When I’m working on a advanced Computer Science degree I could care left if the professor supports ABC or XYZ. Maybe a liberal arts you can see it but a technical degree it is crap and propaganda which should not be done when I’m paying for it. If the the subject is machine learning we can care less which party he or she supports.


I invite you to compare job descriptions of airline pilots and university professors and see which makes specific mention of having good judgment.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:10 am

THS214 wrote:
If a pilot goes political and can't restrain himself from it its a CRM problem. What if the other pilot doesn't agree? Maybe the other pilot becomes afraid of saying anything to the other pilot with strong opinions? That has no room in a cockpit. Its an anger management problem from the pilot. If he's mentally ok he would not say something even remotely political on PA.


Precisely why this is a serious HR matter. And if it is happening multiple times, it suggests the company has not made examples of problem employees and clearly drawn a line between professional/unprofessional conduct.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:12 am

sldispatcher wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
bpat777 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
“Unsafe”? The guy made a joke, chill out LOL. Unnecessarily political, maybe, but his joking comment had no actual affect on anyone. Southwest crews have always been known for playful joking/antics. Let the guy be a little loose. It’s what separates Southwest from everyone else. How does this make the news?


If a pilot spoke of his support for B.L.M. over the PA would those of you supporting him feel the same? Or is the support and downplaying only for views you believe in?


Walking through any airport today will expose one to TV broadcasts and billboards that are a preponderance of one sided views.
Apparel by flight attendants and gate agents are also apparent.
The in-flight magazines are now only able to support a more ‘progressive’ view.

In other words, we live inba world with seemingly everything trying to make a statement.

I have to keep my ‘ignore’ button pushed most of the time. I survived just fine doing so. Someone else can do it for 5 seconds.


It's not quite that simple in the case of a pilot - who is entrusted with the successful completion of the flight and is seen as a service leader by customers. Political commentary has zero to do with the work being compensated for, and that's why this kind of thing plainly exhibits lack of judgment, emotional control, or both.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:18 am

THS214 wrote:
If a pilot goes political and can't restrain himself from it its a CRM problem. What if the other pilot doesn't agree? Maybe the other pilot becomes afraid of saying anything to the other pilot with strong opinions? That has no room in a cockpit. Its an anger management problem from the pilot. If he's mentally ok he would not say something even remotely political on PA.



There is that angle but not only that, it also invites the possibility of distractions in what should be a sterile environment.

Even when there is intimidation, if it leads to a discussion and someone forgets to set flaps or engine anti ice, that is obviously problematic as well.
Would not be the first time an accident has happened for those reasons...



Aaron747 wrote:

Precisely why this is a serious HR matter. And if it is happening multiple times, it suggests the company has not made examples of problem employees and clearly drawn a line between professional/unprofessional conduct.


Also a very real problem.
 
NLINK
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:20 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:31 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not an apt comparison. Universities hire academics to achieve a spread of viewpoints in their faculty. Airlines hire pilots to fly airplanes competently and take care of their customers.



It is the same. When I’m working on a advanced Computer Science degree I could care left if the professor supports ABC or XYZ. Maybe a liberal arts you can see it but a technical degree it is crap and propaganda which should not be done when I’m paying for it. If the the subject is machine learning we can care less which party he or she supports.


I invite you to compare job descriptions of airline pilots and university professors and see which makes specific mention of having good judgment.



Actually 2 really good friends, one is the department head of the Geology department at a large university and another friend is a captain at a major airline. All of us think a little different but can agree politics need to be left out of all workplaces where you are involuntarily forcing people to listen, aka an airplane, classroom or sports stands. We’ve all gave up on the NFL due to this.
I personally didn’t like the previous US President as an independent.
 
johns624
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:39 am

NLINK wrote:
We’ve all gave up on the NFL due to this.
I gave up on the NFL many years ago because I live in Detroit... :lol:
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:43 am

NLINK wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NLINK wrote:


It is the same. When I’m working on a advanced Computer Science degree I could care left if the professor supports ABC or XYZ. Maybe a liberal arts you can see it but a technical degree it is crap and propaganda which should not be done when I’m paying for it. If the the subject is machine learning we can care less which party he or she supports.


I invite you to compare job descriptions of airline pilots and university professors and see which makes specific mention of having good judgment.



Actually 2 really good friends, one is the department head of the Geology department at a large university and another friend is a captain at a major airline. All of us think a little different but can agree politics need to be left out of all workplaces where you are involuntarily forcing people to listen, aka an airplane, classroom or sports stands. We’ve all gave up on the NFL due to this.
I personally didn’t like the previous US President as an independent.


From HR perspective the only concern is not creating negative PR attention for the organization and adhering to professional/job description standards. That is all.
 
global1
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:50 am

Considering where the airline is headquartered and their low employee vaccination numbers ,it doesn't surprise me.
The Jan.6 logo plane is probably in the paint shop as we speak. This airline is a little too 'MAGA' for my taste.
 
lat41
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:16 am

Keep religion and politics off the flight deck and the PA system is a good universal practice.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6651
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:27 am

DL757NYC wrote:
He is just cheering for Brandon to do well in his next race.



Right? That is what the reporter told America.

Nothing to see here at all.

That said, pilots have wide discretion with the PA system and they shouldnt abuse this privilege.

Pilots are overwhelmingly conservative, but there is a good chance 45-55 percent of their customers are not.

On the other hand, politics have permeated every aspect of our lives from football to Ben and Jerrys, so why should it surprise you that your pilot is joining in?
 
lat41
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:32 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
I’m liking Southwest Airlines more and more! How does this make the pilot unsafe?


Question, would you be liking SWA “more and more” if the pilot had insulted Trump or a Republican, or broadcast leftist political views over the PA?

Has anyone done that? please
 
JohanTally
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:40 am

global1 wrote:
Considering where the airline is headquartered and their low employee vaccination numbers ,it doesn't surprise me.
The Jan.6 logo plane is probably in the paint shop as we speak. This airline is a little too 'MAGA' for my taste.

Hopefully WN will be able to survive without an elitist client base. Maybe Build Back Better Airlines will also give you a free checked bag.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:42 am

jfklganyc wrote:
DL757NYC wrote:
He is just cheering for Brandon to do well in his next race.


Right? That is what the reporter told America.

Nothing to see here at all.


Highly selective mischaracterization of what's happening here. Unprofessional conduct by highly-paid professionals is not 'nothing to see here'.

jfklganyc wrote:
Pilots are overwhelmingly conservative, but there is a good chance 45-55 percent of their customers are not.


This is only true of pilots over 50.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3041
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:

jfklganyc wrote:
Pilots are overwhelmingly conservative, but there is a good chance 45-55 percent of their customers are not.


This is only true of pilots over 50.


Not only that, but the numbers for the customer base are very low as well. It is not as though people who approve of MAGAism are known for traveling, after all.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:15 am

I’d call crew scheduling immediately and tell them I do not feel safe or comfortable working with said pilot and must be pulled immediately. They can’t say no. That would either be a severely delayed flight or a cancelled flight. Politics do not belong in a workplace with varying beliefs.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:50 am

Well, I keep my scanner on to hear local first responders & aircraft frequencies (Indy Center, CVG, LEX, SDF & GA) along with Guard. Lately, I've been hearing an occasional "Let's Go Brandon!" on Guard, along with the usual whispered "guard" and the odd "meow". Of course, there's no way to tell who's saying it, and I wouldn't tell if I did know!
 
777Mech
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 am

aden23 wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-pilot-tells-passengers-lets-go-brandon-in-flight-announcement-2021-10

If a pilot has such poor judgement to broadcast his politics to pax, should he be allowed to fly planes? Is Southwest this desperate for pilots that they have to hire unsafe, socially inept pilots?


Unsafe?

I'm glad all these pax made it out alive after this terrible incident. I'm certain the mental anguish experienced here is out of control.
 
hoons90
Posts: 3927
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:09 am

I don't see anything inherently inimical to safety here, but employees must not forget that they are representing their company while they are on duty. If Southwest markets itself as a company that espouses right wing values, then by all means, allow staff to espouse those values. However, Southwest should definitely be concerned about statements that are made by someone in their capacity as an employee, especially if they are irrelevant to their duties or if they are not congruent with the company's values. It is ultimately up to Southwest to determine whether the pilot is fit to represent the company, and I don't understand why people would be "sad" if the company were to make the business decision of determining otherwise, due to a conscious decision that the pilot made. They wouldn't be getting disciplined for being conservative, they would be getting disciplined for doing a poor job representing the company.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 am

aden23 wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-pilot-tells-passengers-lets-go-brandon-in-flight-announcement-2021-10

If a pilot has such poor judgement to broadcast his politics to pax, should he be allowed to fly planes? Is Southwest this desperate for pilots that they have to hire unsafe, socially inept pilots?

Has cheering for a NASCAR driver now become politically incorrect? Will this apply to college and pro sports teams as well?
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 am

JohanTally wrote:
global1 wrote:
Considering where the airline is headquartered and their low employee vaccination numbers ,it doesn't surprise me.
The Jan.6 logo plane is probably in the paint shop as we speak. This airline is a little too 'MAGA' for my taste.

Hopefully WN will be able to survive without an elitist client base. Maybe Build Back Better Airlines will also give you a free checked bag.

It’s free, but they will charge you a tax based on your unearned baggage charges.
 
Ertro
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:51 am

Haven't we heard of way too many instances where some passenger has gone violently bezerk for some antivax/antimask reason.

This kind of announcement from a pilot could very well trigger some antimask passenger to action when he hears he has an ally in the cockpit after building a lot of steam being forced to sit in his seat with the mask on that he so hates. If some FA tries to restrain the violent passenger he could start screaming that the FA is wrong since pilot agrees with him and so the FA should back off. This could lead other ten antimask passengers to take action to help a fellow antimasker and that the lone FA with promask attitude can easily be overridden with force by the ten of them.
Last edited by Ertro on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
hoons90
Posts: 3927
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:53 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
aden23 wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-pilot-tells-passengers-lets-go-brandon-in-flight-announcement-2021-10

If a pilot has such poor judgement to broadcast his politics to pax, should he be allowed to fly planes? Is Southwest this desperate for pilots that they have to hire unsafe, socially inept pilots?

Has cheering for a NASCAR driver now become politically incorrect? Will this apply to college and pro sports teams as well?


I think it's disingenuous to disregard the motive and intent behind the statement, which was essentially a right wing dog whistle. It would absolutely apply to other "college and pro sports teams" if it was used in the same way. Humans are intuitive enough to convey and interpret meanings of a word or statement beyond its literal sense.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:12 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Has cheering for a NASCAR driver now become politically incorrect? Will this apply to college and pro sports teams as well?


This has nothing to do with what's politically correct - it's about unprofessional conduct for the pilot job description. No amount of spin or misdirection can distract from that.
 
Redd
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:21 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Hope everyone recovered from this traumatizing incident.


There was a lack of safe spaces aboard the aircraft, traumatized for life.
 
hoons90
Posts: 3927
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 am

Redd wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
Hope everyone recovered from this traumatizing incident.


There was a lack of safe spaces aboard the aircraft, traumatized for life.


No need to take it that far. Expecting a certain degree of decorum and professionalism from a professional (even from an airline with a "casual" flair) is not unreasonable and not a lament about any trauma, or the lack of "safe spaces" onboard the plane. There's humour, and there's lowbrow humour. Someone acting in the capacity of an employee and causing unwanted controversy for the company is a liability for the company, period, and I would expect the company to respond accordingly.

One can have a sense of humour and also recognize and call out unprofessional behaviour when one sees it.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9138
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:49 am

This idiot was being intentionally incendiary, the PA is not a pulpit for pilots to express their extreme political beliefs or any personal views for that matter


His fitness for duty and psychological health is seriously in question after showing such an extreme lack of judgement


I’d suggest he be suspended without pay and have to submit to an extensive medical and psychiatric review before and if reinstatement is considered


He may well have a serious problem
 
T prop
Posts: 981
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2001 4:33 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:59 am

Unprofessional.
We hear about cabin crew getting attacked by pax and then we have this guy injecting his political views. So, if he pisses someone off, and they have to divert because of an irate passenger going off, wouldn't it have been better to have kept it to himself?
 
Max Q
Posts: 9138
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:00 am

T prop wrote:
Unprofessional.
We hear about cabin crew getting attacked by pax and then we have this guy injecting his political views. So, if he pisses someone off, and they have to divert because of an irate passenger going off, wouldn't it have been better to have kept it to himself?



Absolutely
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12827
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:04 am

Given that this topic has given fuel to a fierce debate, it could have spiked that among passengers. In that sense, the pilot took a risk with safety on board, that besides being very unprofessional of course.
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 924
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:16 am

As I was leaving the plane I would have dropped my mask and sneezed in the fascist chud’s face.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:31 am

Redd wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
Hope everyone recovered from this traumatizing incident.


There was a lack of safe spaces aboard the aircraft, traumatized for life.


It's amazing how many people are reacting to this story with snide remarks instead of dealing with the reality of supposed adults behaving badly.
 
pune
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:07 am

People are sharing about sports hence it would be appropriate to share what happened between an India and Pakistan in the ongoing T20 World Cup (cricket). The game a legacy of the British who ruled over us for 200 years. Anyways, before the match began, they all took the knee in support of BLM. Later post-match the Captain Virat Kohli shared that it wasn't something they did of their own violation but something the owners and the management (BCCI) wanted them to do.

This was apparently a signal to the U.S. over some alleged grievance India has, It could be not giving more vaccines to India for free to anything else altogether. What message they wanted to send is for diplomats to find out.

In the game itself, Pakistan won the toss and India batted first and they got out cheaply and Pakistan won convincingly -

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/t20- ... ay-1285090

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ind- ... ge-1285083

Later, the whole blame of the game was put on Mohammad Shami (the only Muslim on the team) with the allegation that because he is a Muslim, he let the opposing team win (Pakistan). This is real life and reel life coming together. People can see a movie called 'Chak De India' made over a decade ago on similar lines. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0871510/

After 4 days of being trolled both on Twitter and Instagram, the Indian captain came out in support of Mohammad Shami and called out those people who were trolling. And he specifically called out professional trollers. It is known that BJP has an IT cell where a person can post communal tweets @ INR Rs. 2/- per tweet.

Anyways, after his unequivocal support of fellow team-mate Mohammad Shami, the RW turned on him too and quite a few of them (influential ones) have wished that India lose the series under his captainship.

What is also tragic is that out of 14 people, only one person had guts to come forward and support a team-mate. And now rumors are doing the rounds, that he would be made to forced to resign both as a captain and then as a player.
 
N757ST
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:29 am

Aaron747 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
DL757NYC wrote:
He is just cheering for Brandon to do well in his next race.


Right? That is what the reporter told America.

Nothing to see here at all.


Highly selective mischaracterization of what's happening here. Unprofessional conduct by highly-paid professionals is not 'nothing to see here'.

jfklganyc wrote:
Pilots are overwhelmingly conservative, but there is a good chance 45-55 percent of their customers are not.


This is only true of pilots over 50.


No, airline pilots are majority conservative. I’d say the percentage is a little less with the younger pilots, but they are still a vast majority conservative.

Listen, like JFKLGANYC, I’m a NY based airline pilot. Even the pilots that live in and are based in NY trend overwhelmingly conservative. Perhaps not as large a majority as say over 50 based in DAL, but still a majority.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16774
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38 am

N757ST wrote:
No, airline pilots are majority conservative. I’d say the percentage is a little less with the younger pilots, but they are still a vast majority conservative.

Listen, like JFKLGANYC, I’m a NY based airline pilot. Even the pilots that live in and are based in NY trend overwhelmingly conservative. Perhaps not as large a majority as say over 50 based in DAL, but still a majority.


I never said younger pilots are preening SJW types you'd find in any college. The younger pilots I know are definitely not *that* liberal, but they lean discernibly left of the near-retirement cohort. I'd say if pressed, most are politically turned off, and dislike both ends.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:07 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
I’m liking Southwest Airlines more and more! How does this make the pilot unsafe?


Question, would you be liking SWA “more and more” if the pilot had insulted Trump or a Republican, or broadcast leftist political views over the PA?

Answer, no I wouldn’t like them “more and more” if they insulted a conservative but it certainly wouldn’t make me dislike the airline. The fact they have a aircraft named “freedom one” tells me what kind of company Southwest is.
 
CairnterriAIR
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:48 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
Completely disgusting, and certainly socially inept, but unsafe?




Don’t think it can have a safety implication? Read up on the BEA Staines crash out of Heathrow in 1972. A preflight argument about Union politics contributed to a flight deck environment in which some junior pilots were not willing to speak up to a senior one.


Right here is the reason why this behavior should remain off the aircraft.
 
N757ST
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:26 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
No, airline pilots are majority conservative. I’d say the percentage is a little less with the younger pilots, but they are still a vast majority conservative.

Listen, like JFKLGANYC, I’m a NY based airline pilot. Even the pilots that live in and are based in NY trend overwhelmingly conservative. Perhaps not as large a majority as say over 50 based in DAL, but still a majority.


I never said younger pilots are preening SJW types you'd find in any college. The younger pilots I know are definitely not *that* liberal, but they lean discernibly left of the near-retirement cohort. I'd say if pressed, most are politically turned off, and dislike both ends.



I’m an active airline pilot. Based in a very liberal city. 90%+ of the pilots I fly with are conservative. This is at a major airline. At the e regionals I personally observed more liberal pilots, but even there the majority were conservative. I’m not taking a side here, and announcing politics over the PA is a quick way to have a meeting with HR. I’m just saying, from my observations JFKLGANYC is absolutely correct, and I interact with hundreds of other pilots annually. If there’s a liberal majority under 50, then they don’t work for my airline in my base.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4793
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:35 pm

Coworkers bringing their political views into the workplace and enforcing them on you is always a peeve. Shows either a lack of social skills or a lack of self control. Lots that I'd like to respond with but, fortunately or not, I'm well practiced at biting my tounge....and rolling my eyes.
 
aden23
Topic Author
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:48 pm

For the boomers having trouble with the safety issue:

Broadcasting political views in 2021 is idiotic. Especially to a crowd of people who’s taxes bailed you out and saved your job.

Idiotic people shouldn’t be allowed to fly planes.

Thus, the pilot has demonstrated an inability to make decisions and is not fit to fly.
 
Josh76040
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:01 pm

If he can’t control himself and leave his political viewpoints at home, he should.be made to spend all his time at home and not employed by Southwest. This is the same type of guy who pushes his political viewpoints in all kinds of inappropriate settings. Leave that stuff at home. Seriously.
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:03 pm

DL757NYC wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
Completely disgusting, and certainly socially inept, but unsafe?



Disgusting? I remember the other side doing much worse with the last president

What does that have to do with anything? Two wrongs make a right? And when did a pilot do anyhring like that?
Last edited by Aliqiout on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:08 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
Hope everyone recovered from this traumatizing incident.

What are you talking about? Nobody said anything about anyone being traumatized. .


I assume you never heard of sarcasm before.

Of course I can recognize sarcasm. I was trying to call out someone for being rude without name calling.
 
N757ST
Posts: 1139
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:21 pm

zkojq wrote:
Coworkers bringing their political views into the workplace and enforcing them on you is always a peeve. Shows either a lack of social skills or a lack of self control. Lots that I'd like to respond with but, fortunately or not, I'm well practiced at biting my tounge....and rolling my eyes.


Have you met many airline pilots? It’s pretty rare that you make it to the before start checklist without hearing some kind of political, company, or union rant.

Flight attendants aren’t much better, but are definitely a majority on the opposite spectrum from pilot leanings politically.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SL1200MK2 and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos