Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mcdu

Re: Southwest pilot broadcasts political views to pax

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:40 pm

gregn21 wrote:
“Unsafe”? The guy made a joke, chill out LOL. Unnecessarily political, maybe, but his joking comment had no actual affect on anyone. Southwest crews have always been known for playful joking/antics. Let the guy be a little loose. It’s what separates Southwest from everyone else. How does this make the news?

It’s not a joke. It’s a political statement and it is highly offensive and it alienates a large demographic. If SW wants to be a Trump only airline then that is their choice. I’m sure the other carriers would be happy to carry the customers that SW loses.

The pilot exhibited an ignorance that seems to perpetuate that pilot group based on way too much evidence; rolling coal, exposing genitals, naked flying, grannies and grandes just to name a few of the headlines SW pilots have made.

mcdu

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:45 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

jfklganyc wrote:
Pilots are overwhelmingly conservative, but there is a good chance 45-55 percent of their customers are not.

This is only true of pilots over 50.

Not only that, but the numbers for the customer base are very low as well. It is not as though people who approve of MAGAism are known for traveling, after all.

Hopefully with more cities requiring vaccines to dine inside or use public facilities the number of MAGAites able to travel will shrink even further. SW is picking a narrow band to cater too if they don’t resolve this issue. Maybe it was the weather or ATC reroutes that made him utter such nonsense

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:35 pm

N757ST wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Coworkers bringing their political views into the workplace and enforcing them on you is always a peeve. Shows either a lack of social skills or a lack of self control. Lots that I'd like to respond with but, fortunately or not, I'm well practiced at biting my tounge....and rolling my eyes.

Have you met many airline pilots? It’s pretty rare that you make it to the before start checklist without hearing some kind of political, company, or union rant.

Flight attendants aren’t much better, but are definitely a majority on the opposite spectrum from pilot leanings politically.

Truth there. I rarely heard political opinions on military planes, surprised to hear opinions later in life of some friends. Both sides of the aisle. Same in the bizjet world and met or were acquainted with hundreds in my job. I couldn’t guess the political bias most of my colleagues. Five years at Eastern, it was non-stop rants—Union, politics, conspiracy theories, religion pep talks. That’s what airline pilots do, or 80% do.

seb146

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:41 pm

Why is it when someone has an opinion that lines up with the far right extremists, they are patriots and must be allowed to speak but when someone has an opinion outside that echo chamber, they are told to be quiet? Especially people in positions of power?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
Why is it when someone has an opinion that lines up with the far right extremists, they are patriots and must be allowed to speak but when someone has an opinion outside that echo chamber, they are told to be quiet? Especially people in positions of power?

Plenty on the Left are trying to shut up other opinions or canceling people. It’s a mutual effort.

casinterest

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:55 pm

I just though Trump supporters were just coming out of the closet with their support for LGB

global1

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:05 pm

I would suggest passengers boycott or book away from this airline. To have to sit there captive and be subjected to these MAGA diatribes from their employees is unacceptable. I'm certain many of their employees (at least the intelligent, vaccinated ones) are ashamed and intimidated to work in that toxic environment.
Last edited by global1 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcdu

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Plenty on the Left are trying to shut up other opinions or canceling people. It’s a mutual effort.

The battle for left or right doesn’t belong on a PA to passengers. There is already enough incidents on planes with unruly behavior. Having your Southwest captain incite division is just pouring fuel on the fire. Fly your flag of choice on your off time. The workplace in front of your customers is not the venue. If you think it is then you need to get out of a business that is reliant on customer service.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:43 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
Sorry. That is a company policy decision that is between the pilot, the union, and the company and however it gets handled. As far as the pilot being "unsafe", how on earth are you passing that "poor judgement" on the pilot based on a PA announcement?

As far as I know, the pilots at all of the majors have very high standards for skills, knowledge, etc.

they do, but they also need to think fast on their feet when an emergency happens. He has shown his employer that he has very poor judgment, not only is he an embarrassment to Southwest but to the other pilots that wear the same uniform as him. As far as I'm concerned he has just shown himself to be a glorified bus driver, who has no right wearing a Southwest pilot's uniform.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:02 pm

seb146 wrote:

well, I don't work for Southwest, but I did work for Delta, and there is this thing called the code of conduct that you sign that basically says that you can get fired for doing exactly what this pilot did. There is a time and place for everything, this pilot in the very least needs some training on what is appropriate and what is not. I think he is in an echo chamber if he thought this was acceptable behavior.

FlyingElvii

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:12 pm

hoons90 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
aden23 wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-pilot-tells-passengers-lets-go-brandon-in-flight-announcement-2021-10

If a pilot has such poor judgement to broadcast his politics to pax, should he be allowed to fly planes? Is Southwest this desperate for pilots that they have to hire unsafe, socially inept pilots?

Has cheering for a NASCAR driver now become politically incorrect? Will this apply to college and pro sports teams as well?

I think it's disingenuous to disregard the motive and intent behind the statement, which was essentially a right wing dog whistle. It would absolutely apply to other "college and pro sports teams" if it was used in the same way. Humans are intuitive enough to convey and interpret meanings of a word or statement beyond its literal sense.

It is called antiphrasis….
It is how dissent was expressed, without actually saying something dissenting that could get you arrested, sent to prison, or even executed, in The Soviet Bloc.

Redd

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Redd wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
Hope everyone recovered from this traumatizing incident.

There was a lack of safe spaces aboard the aircraft, traumatized for life.

It's amazing how many people are reacting to this story with snide remarks instead of dealing with the reality of supposed adults behaving badly.

Just having a laugh. We take things too seriously these days.

There was a pax on board, a journalist for AP, that supposedly demanded to speak to the pilot and almost got kicked off. Crazy.

There is a forum member here who called the pilot a fascist and would like to punish the pilot by sneezing in his face.... Sneezing is violence, let's not forget.

CBBW

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:11 pm

Something tells me that many of the people who are defending this pilot gratuitously making a political statement moan how everything is political these days. I bet they also inveigh against “cancel culture” but didn’t say s*** when Kathy Griffin was fired and essentially had her career ruined because of right wing outrage over her stupid stunt of posing with a fake severed Trump head. They’ll tell us that saying that saying that a particular groups’ lives have value is controversial or offensive while screeching that they’re not racist and anyone who disagrees with them is the REAL racist.

These people almost invariably belong to a certain nationality and ethnicity. We all see who they are but we can’t say the damn obvious for fear of triggering them. They’re the worlds biggest snowflakes.

mcdu

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:27 pm

Redd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Redd wrote:

There was a lack of safe spaces aboard the aircraft, traumatized for life.

It's amazing how many people are reacting to this story with snide remarks instead of dealing with the reality of supposed adults behaving badly.

Just having a laugh. We take things too seriously these days.

There was a pax on board, a journalist for AP, that supposedly demanded to speak to the pilot and almost got kicked off. Crazy.

There is a forum member here who called the pilot a fascist and would like to punish the pilot by sneezing in his face.... Sneezing is violence, let's not forget.

The pilot was wrong. It was not a joke. It is hate speech and it’s offensive. I’m sure that pilot would be upset and triggered if someone said the same about trump. He can do whatever he wants on his free time but when he is commanding a southwest flight he speaks for Southwest. Failure of SW to punish this pilot is them condoning this behavior.

Why is it always Southwest pilots saying offensive things?

mcdu

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:29 pm

CBBW wrote:
Something tells me that many of the people who are defending this pilot gratuitously making a political statement moan how everything is political these days. I bet they also inveigh against “cancel culture” but didn’t say s*** when Kathy Griffin was fired and essentially had her career ruined because of right wing outrage over her stupid stunt of posing with a fake severed Trump head. They’ll tell us that saying that saying that a particular groups’ lives have value is controversial or offensive while screeching that they’re not racist and anyone who disagrees with them is the REAL racist.

These people almost invariably belong to a certain nationality and ethnicity. We all see who they are but we can’t say the damn obvious for fear of triggering them. They’re the worlds biggest snowflakes.

Spot on. They rail against cancel culture but call for boycotts of things they don’t support. They don’t like flags with BLM or rainbows but will adorn their cars and boats with trump flags. They are huge hypocrites.

luckyone

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:35 pm

If you were bothered by a football player taking a knee on company time, then you should be bothered by this. If you’re not, you’re dense or a hypocrite and can’t be taken seriously. Full stop.

NIKV69

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 pm

luckyone wrote:
If you were bothered by a football player taking a knee on company time, then you should be bothered by this. If you’re not, you’re dense or a hypocrite and can’t be taken seriously. Full stop.

Not a fair comparison but I hope you would support the pilot suing and winning millions if he loses his ability to make a living like that football player did.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:45 pm

mcdu wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The battle for left or right doesn’t belong on a PA to passengers. There is already enough incidents on planes with unruly behavior. Having your Southwest captain incite division is just pouring fuel on the fire. Fly your flag of choice on your off time. The workplace in front of your customers is not the venue. If you think it is then you need to get out of a business that is reliant on customer service.

Did I say it was appropriate? No, I don’t think so and it isn’t by anyone in public especially when representing your employer. One of my base rules, ride for the brand as cowboys said or don’t embarrass your employer.

11C

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:19 pm

gregn21 wrote:
“Unsafe”? The guy made a joke, chill out LOL. Unnecessarily political, maybe, but his joking comment had no actual affect on anyone. Southwest crews have always been known for playful joking/antics. Let the guy be a little loose. It’s what separates Southwest from everyone else. How does this make the news?

This is just stupidity, plain and simple. You may be able to blow it off, but it shows a real lack of judgement. Some of the other examples that ended being broadcast on the ATC frequency show the same stupidity, combined with an inability to operate the radio equipment with the desired effect, so doubly stupid. There is no excuse for being that stupid.

11C

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Not a fair comparison but I hope you would support the pilot suing and winning millions if he loses his ability to make a living like that football player did.

Unless everything has changed in our legal system, this “dude” isn’t going to be prevailing in any lawsuits. I wish him luck in his new career. I know, plenty of right wingers with airplanes will hire him for essentially being an ass, but he probably won’t be able to spin his witticisms on SWA any longer.

airtechy

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 pm

Ertro wrote:
Haven't we heard of way too many instances where some passenger has gone violently bezerk for some antivax/antimask reason.

This kind of announcement from a pilot could very well trigger some antimask passenger to action when he hears he has an ally in the cockpit after building a lot of steam being forced to sit in his seat with the mask on that he so hates. If some FA tries to restrain the violent passenger he could start screaming that the FA is wrong since pilot agrees with him and so the FA should back off. This could lead other ten antimask passengers to take action to help a fellow antimasker and that the lone FA with promask attitude can easily be overridden with force by the ten of them.

Exactly my opinion. Masks, cart bumps .. anything sets people off. I can't imagine politics wouldn't. Very poor judgment.

11C

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:35 pm

CBBW wrote:

All sadly true. Being played by Putin’s internet research unit, or whatever he calls it, and too dumb to know they’re being played.

FlyingElvii

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:42 pm

11C wrote:
CBBW wrote:

All sadly true. Being played by Putin’s internet research unit, or whatever he calls it, and too dumb to know they’re being played.

Lmao….

lat41

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:02 pm

Snarky comments and political views belong off the aircraft regardless of what the crew thinks or injustices, real or perceived. Do your job, keep the passengers informed, period. Now let's get back to "civil" aviation.

global1

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:29 pm

By not addressing this, WN is implicitly condoning it. Had generally good feelings about them in the past. Not anymore. They don't just carry red state passengers ,they carry a lot of people from New York City, Seattle, Los Angeles, etc... BOYCOT SOUTHWEST!
There are plenty of options besides them out there.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:39 pm

We won’t know, but if it’s a first offense—60 days to go home and think about it. Grieved, maybe reduced to 30 days. He won’t be terminated on a first offense.

11C

Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:26 pm

The false equivalency of this being about free speech is classic defense of the indefensible. You can go stand out on a corner and wave your F the president flags all you want, and enjoy the protections of the 1st amendment. But, if you pick up the microphone the belongs to SWA, and utter something as stupid as that, then you should expect repercussions. Please don’t try to explain this away as some form of protest, it’s just too stupid to be defended.

WayexTDI

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
We won’t know, but if it’s a first offense—60 days to go home and think about it. Grieved, maybe reduced to 30 days. He won’t be terminated on a first offense.

I don't think a lot of people want to see him terminated; but most (including me) want to see him disciplined. However, we highly doubt it'll happen between WN culture and unions protecting the pilot; and that is the sad thing.

WayexTDI

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:23 pm

One question to all those of you who are defending the WN pilot for his "freedom of speech" while he was on the job: did you also defend Juli Briskman for her freedom of speech?

You don't remember Juli Briksman? She is the cyclist who flipped off (then-POTUS) Trump's motorcade, while off duty (i.e., during her own personal time), and got fired for it. Where was your sympathy for her?

FlyingElvii

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
One question to all those of you who are defending the WN pilot for his "freedom of speech" while he was on the job: did you also defend Juli Briskman for her freedom of speech?

You don't remember Juli Briksman? She is the cyclist who flipped off (then-POTUS) Trump's motorcade, while off duty (i.e., during her own personal time), and got fired for it. Where was your sympathy for her?

That was a direct action, antiphrasis is a lot more subtle, which is why it gave regimes like the Soviets such fits. You have to ASSUME that he meant it as a political statement, which means YOU have made a political judgement that all speech must be policed. That is totalitarianism in action.

khaba

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:33 pm

Nobody is getting fired over "Roll Tide", that's corny (but I'm sure an Auburn fan might get riled up. didn't a guy poison some trees over that?) but also not the issue.

but it's a political statement. grounded in an actual event and that doesn't give anyone cover to pretend to be willfully bashful.

none of it belongs at work. of course it happens, it doesn't make it okay.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:41 pm

I didn’t know the back story, but Matt Taibibi on Substack knocks out of the park. He’s not MAGA Trumpist, either.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-lets- ... tm_source=

FlyingElvii

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:43 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I didn’t know the back story, but Matt Taibibi on Substack knocks out of the park. He’s not MAGA Trumpist, either.

"...mass-forget the previous four years..." lol.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:45 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

"...mass-forget the previous four years..." lol.

Yes, all kinds of public forums were used by anti-MAGA types to preach all kinds of hate on Trump only to be congratulated for doing so. Anyone canceling De Niro? I didn’t think so.

Not to say the Pilot violated Rule One—don’t embarrass the one with the checkbook.

Aaron747

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Taibbi’s off base and focused on media pundit irrelevancy as usual. Nobody in HR circles is talking about silly ‘ISIS experiments’. The question being asked is: what made this pilot think doing this at work was a good idea? What environment has the employer established where someone thinks unprofessional behavior won’t incur consequences?

System07

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 pm

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-10-31/

I haven’t read yet but they’re looking into it

mcdu

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:25 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It was inappropriate It was wrong and it is absurd people like you are defending him. That is t knocking anything out of the park. That is trying to make a horrible announcement acceptable.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:33 pm

mcdu wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It was inappropriate It was wrong and it is absurd people like you are defending him. That is t knocking anything out of the park. That is trying to make a horrible announcement acceptable.

I’m NOT defending the pilot, it’s wrong to bring politics on the job, despite doing so is pretty common in airline cockpits. Before posting read what I’ve said first. That said, Taibibi does make a fair comparison, anti-Trumpers did the exact same thing in work environments. They did, in their fashion, LGB activities.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
mcdu wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I’m NOT defending the pilot, it’s wrong to bring politics on the job, despite doing so is pretty common in airline cockpits. Before posting read what I’ve said first. That said, Taibibi does make a fair comparison, anti-Trumpers did the exact same thing in work environments. They did, in their fashion, LGB activities.

Yes, but his analysis is off, for the reasons I stated. People lost jobs during the last four years on both sides of the aisle for expressing opinions counter to preferences of employers/owners. And he then uses the example of DeNiro at a celebrity event, which is not remotely comparable to an airline pilot.

twinotter

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:55 pm

If that Southwest pilot has been so radicalized that he's willing to shout slurs on an airplane, has he been radicalized enough to fly that plane into the ground just to make a political statement?

khaba

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 am

too far on the back heel that you gotta bail.

System07

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:47 am

khaba wrote:

I bet he thinks the communist, Marxist, authoritarian, fascist, far left, progressive, nazi, extremists, BLM, antifa, libruls cancelled him from the thread. Did I miss any?

khaba

Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:56 am

System07 wrote:
khaba wrote:

I bet he thinks the communist, Marxist, authoritarian, fascist, far left, progressive, nazi, extremists, BLM, antifa, libruls cancelled him from the thread. Did I miss any?

unfortunately this calcifies their point. If you perceive everyone against you, for being criticized, there's no reaching.

but yeah, there's probably another flavor of the week in the works. all argued spittle and red-faced, until the next target.

we're chill here, just having a conversation without using capslock

khaba

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:14 am

there's also more books out there than 1984, give it a shot

F9Animal

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:33 am

The fact is, this country is on the edge. We are letting political difference destroy our nation. The fact it has gotten to this point is beyond sad.

In all honesty, when I travel, the last thing I want to even think about it politics, or the last couple of years of hell we have been through as a nation.

Anyone that thinks the left or the right actually care about you is the joke. We are as bankrupt morally as a country like Trump Shuttle was. This political division has created damage beyond comprehension.

And there truly is one person who created this division..................

DLASFlyer

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 am

Southwest statement:

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status ... 2718352387

"Southwest does not tolerate any behavior that encourages divisiveness, as it does not reflect the Southwest Hospitality and inclusiveness for which we are known for and strive to provide on each and every flight."

Aaron747

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:18 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
Southwest statement:

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status ... 2718352387

"Southwest does not tolerate any behavior that encourages divisiveness, as it does not reflect the Southwest Hospitality and inclusiveness for which we are known for and strive to provide on each and every flight."

Amazing how many Russian/Chinese bots respond to a PR statement from a US airline

qf789

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:47 am

As thread as turned into users engaging in personal comments and flamebait thread will be locked