Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

‘Pull forward and wait’ at the drive thru

Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:43 pm

Going through the drive thru at fast food establishments isn’t what it used to be

On several occasions I’ve been asked to ‘pull forward’ and wait while they finish my order

Fast food is supposed to be just that, after waiting in line and paying it should be ready when you get to the window

Every time I’ve agreed to this there’s been a long delay while I wait for my order

Last time this happened I told them I would not pull forward and requested they just get the order ready

When you’ve already waited for your place at the head of the line why should you be forced to wait longer when they’ve got your order wrong ?

Aaron747

Re: ‘Pull forward and wait’ at the drive thru

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:12 am

Max Q wrote:
Going through the drive thru at fast food establishments isn’t what it used to be

On several occasions I’ve been asked to ‘pull forward’ and wait while they finish my order

Fast food is supposed to be just that, after waiting in line and paying it should be ready when you get to the window

Every time I’ve agreed to this there’s been a long delay while I wait for my order

Last time this happened I told them I would not pull forward and requested they just get the order ready

When you’ve already waited for your place at the head of the line why should you be forced to wait longer when they’ve got your order wrong ?

The service industry is in chaos everywhere right now - lots of understaffing. I just try to be extra patient with it.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:57 am

Other than Dunkin Donuts for coffee, nothing else; haven’t stopped for fast food in decades. Thanks for the warning, I’ll keep my record going.

Aaron747

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:00 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Other than Dunkin Donuts for coffee, nothing else; haven’t stopped for fast food in decades. Thanks for the warning, I’ll keep my record going.

I'm sure your cardiologist talks about you as an example to other patients

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:05 am

If I had one, he might. My PCP sent to a cardiologist because my resting EKG looks different from normal due to an axial displacement. Cardiologist looked it over and said, “why are you here?” Every decade that comes up. I really don’t do fast food, I didn’t outgrow so much as never tried it. Every in a rush, I’ll do a sit down breakfast or make my own before leaving.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:17 am

Max Q wrote:

I have never liked Drive Thru in the 1st place. This just adds to that.

Aaron747 wrote:

The service industry is in chaos everywhere right now - lots of understaffing. I just try to be extra patient with it.

And I think we are going to need to buckle up on that one. I do not foresee that improving until automation plays a significantly larger role. That is coming, so I do think this is something to fret about for the long term, but it may be a moment.

Patience is not my favorite hobby, but I understand the reasons, and think that this situation was long overdue —for better or worse— anyway. I am sure cotton was more expensive and took longer than people wanted in the 1870s too...

LittleFokker

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:45 am

Any discussion of drive thrus has to feature this clip (NSFW):

https://youtu.be/i9upvWNN3P8

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:36 am

A lot of fast food outlets nowadays are made to order, so it could just be that when you ordered, they've ran out and had to cook a new batch just to serve you. Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

Aaron747

Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:59 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Any discussion of drive thrus has to feature this clip (NSFW):

https://youtu.be/i9upvWNN3P8

I had forgotten that scene. Joe Pesci could not be MORE annoying :lol:

Max Q
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:40 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
A lot of fast food outlets nowadays are made to order, so it could just be that when you ordered, they've ran out and had to cook a new batch just to serve you. Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

My order was a milkshake, they got the flavor wrong, asking me to pull forward and wait when it takes ten seconds to make another one was pretty ridiculous !

NIKV69

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:36 pm

Every fast food establishment should model their drive thru after In N Out and Chick Fil A. That is service.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Same here, except for the occasional Egg McMuffin.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I really don’t do fast food, I didn’t outgrow so much as never tried it.

I lived on that trash, but turned it off, cold turkey about 10 years ago.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Patience is not my favorite hobby,

Same here. I’ll skip my coffee…or God forbid…stop the car and walk in before sitting in a drive-thru line that’s 3+ cars deep. Of course, I see that’s becoming an issue with several ‘restaurants’ having ‘temporarily’ closed their dining rooms.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

See above. The only reason to hit a fast food place is to get food fast. If I have to pull through to get my food, it’s no longer fast.

Max Q wrote:
My order was a milkshake, they got the flavor wrong, asking me to pull forward and wait when it takes ten seconds to make another one was pretty ridiculous !

I would have insisted on them fixing it right there, also.

Aesma

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:24 pm

Do you order "the basics" or exotic stuff ?

I haven't had to "pull forward" in a very, very long time.

At McDonald's in times past if you waited a bit long they would give you something, like an extra hamburger, they don't do that anymore though (probably because it used to be a burger that had been there for some minutes and now they trash it...).

fr8mech

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:42 pm

Aesma wrote:
At McDonald's in times past if you waited a bit long they would give you something, like an extra hamburger, they don't do that anymore though (probably because it used to be a burger that had been there for some minutes and now they trash it...).

I can’t recall if it was because of a long wait or a screwed up order, but the kid at the window gave me an extra Quarter Pounder to compensate me. I asked him what the heck was I supposed to do with another Quarter Pounder? If I wanted 2 I would have ordered 2. It certainly would have been different if he offered a small fry instead, but a freaking Quarter Pounder? Come on.

stlgph

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:31 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Exactly.

On top of that, one of the biggest reasons McDonald's starting pushing people forward was to reduce the wait at the drive-thru for people getting more simplified orders, particularly when they started jumping into the coffee wars being more bold against Dunkin, Starbucks, Caribou, etc. etc., to get those people in and out more quickly than having them wait in the que.

So you can sit here and complain all you want and say they should be more like Chik-Fil-A or what have you, but you're ultimately spending the same amount of time or less that you would have spent in the drive-thru line anyway.

So, complain away about....absolutely nothing....if that's what it takes to float your boat.

casinterest

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 pm

Oh I think Lethal Weapon 2 and Leo Getz already covered all of this. .

scbriml

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:12 pm

Max Q wrote:

First World problems.

Not even registering on the sympathyometer.

Max Q
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:34 pm

scbriml wrote:
Max Q wrote:

First World problems.

Not even registering on the sympathyometer.

A bit weird you think that ‘sympathy’ is the objective of this post !

einsteinboricua

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:49 pm

I actually laugh at people when they queue up at the drive thru. My experience has been that ordering inside (or through an app, if available) is faster than drive thru. Most of the times, I walk in, place my order, and walk out, and the car that would have been in front of me is still in line waiting to place the order.

And then they complain about gas prices...
Last edited by einsteinboricua on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1337Delta764

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I actually laugh at people when they queue up at the drive thru. My experience has been that ordering inside (or through an app, if available) is faster than drive thru. Most of the times, I walk in, place my order, and walk out, and the car that's would have been in front of me is still in line waiting to place the order.

In my experience that was the case prior to COVID, but many fast food restaurants now seem to prioritize drive thru orders over indoor to-go orders.

N965UW

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:42 am

At first I read this thread title as "line up and wait at the drive thru" :rotfl:

Next time I'm at a drive thru I might ask for direct to the second window on initial contact with the order taker

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:40 am

Aesma wrote:
Do you order "the basics" or exotic stuff ?

I haven't had to "pull forward" in a very, very long time.

Almost all McDonalds cook to order these days, they don't have burger waiting in the production bin.

ACDC8

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:41 am

Fast food ain't what it used to be, used to be cheap, fast and crappy. Now, its overpriced slow and crappy.

You order, you pay, they bag it and you're on your way. Burgers sat under the heat lamps for a few minutes, now they sit in a warming tray on the other side of the counter and they call it "made to order" :rotfl:

McDonald's success was built on the Speedee System, bring it back. Having to wait 10 minutes for a McDouble doesn't make the burger any better than it was before.

ACDC8

Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:46 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Almost all McDonalds cook to order these days, they don't have burger waiting in the production bin.

It's not cooked to order, its assembled to order. Meat still sits in a warming tray for God only knows how long, they just take it out, slap it on a bun, but a squirt of mustard and ketchup on, a pinch of rehydrated onions and 2 pickle slices. Too many menu items these days to make it fast food, makes no sense to preassemble a dozen Big Macs when someone might order some other crap item they have.

Moose135

Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:36 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
In my experience that was the case prior to COVID, but many fast food restaurants now seem to prioritize drive thru orders over indoor to-go orders.

For the past year and a half, many didn't even have the doors open, you could only use the drive through. There are still a number of fast food places in my area that are still like this.

scbriml

Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:56 pm

Max Q wrote:

Then I'm not sure what the point is. It just sounds like another grumpy old man moaning about the "good old days".

Tugger

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Just decline to do so. I have done that before.

If you want FAST service then Wendy's so far seems to be the best from what I have experienced. I have not had to wait in years. Literally I pay and they hand me the food.

Tugg

Tugg

seb146

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:50 pm

I have not worked fast food for a while but there were many reasons we would tell people "pull forward and wait". Other people before had placed big orders and we needed time to cook ingredients, there was a "Karen" who took too much time because s/he needed every damn thing proportioned very specifically, but, mostly, it is because store management gets in trouble if drive thru window time is too high. That was how we used to cheat. People with big orders were told to go park and we would bring food out to them.

If you go in, you see no one stages prepped food anymore. Everything is made to order. Even if you order a simple cheeseburger or a simple bean burrito, it is assembled on the spot. In the middle of the day, workers are not expecting a 30 cheeseburger order or a 30 bean burrito order, so they may have to do some cooking and prep for those ingredients. In order to keep the upper management happy, the customer at the drive thru is told to pull forward and wait. Don't like it? Follow Joe Pesci's advice and go inside.

Plus, if you go inside, you can get the correct number of condiments. Not just one lousy sauce for two burritos....

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It's not cooked to order, its assembled to order. Meat still sits in a warming tray for God only knows how long, they just take it out, slap it on a bun, but a squirt of mustard and ketchup on, a pinch of rehydrated onions and 2 pickle slices. Too many menu items these days to make it fast food, makes no sense to preassemble a dozen Big Macs when someone might order some other crap item they have.

25 years ago I worked in the McDs store which trialled staging in NZ, it precooked, then microwaved, we told the customers it was cooked to order.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Nothing here changes my opinion on fast food places. Coffee and move on

1337Delta764

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:46 pm

As far as I know at McDonald's only Quarter Pounders are made with fresh beef.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 pm

scbriml wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Then I'm not sure what the point is. It just sounds like another grumpy old man moaning about the "good old days".

It’s a discussion, calm down, you don’t have to participate or even read the posts

meecrob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:32 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I can’t recall if it was because of a long wait or a screwed up order, but the kid at the window gave me an extra Quarter Pounder to compensate me. I asked him what the heck was I supposed to do with another Quarter Pounder? If I wanted 2 I would have ordered 2. It certainly would have been different if he offered a small fry instead, but a freaking Quarter Pounder? Come on.

You think 16 year old kids who just ripped a joint give a hoot about you being too lazy to cook? You seem to expect service above what you want to pay for.

meecrob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

[citation needed]

As far as I am aware, only Wendy's uses fresh chuck for their burgers of the main fast food chains, the rest use frozen.

meecrob

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Max Q wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Max Q wrote:

It’s a discussion, calm down, you don’t have to participate or even read the posts

Its fundamentally a discussion of how you are outraged that you thought you could pay $1.95 for something and "THEY MADE YOU WAIT!!!" Like did you not just push your right foot a fraction of an inch down in your air conditioned comfortable chair while some teenager ran out to your car with your item and you didn't even tip them? How long were you delayed? And the bigger question, why don't you take your money to a store that doesn't do this? And why don't you park your car and walk in, so you can see what they are doing and tell them if they screw up?

NIKV69

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm

meecrob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

[citation needed]

As far as I am aware, only Wendy's uses fresh chuck for their burgers of the main fast food chains, the rest use frozen.

In N Out never freezes anything

Kent350787

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I actually laugh at people when they queue up at the drive thru. My experience has been that ordering inside (or through an app, if available) is faster than drive thru. Most of the times, I walk in, place my order, and walk out, and the car that would have been in front of me is still in line waiting to place the order.

Not a big user of stores with drive-thru, but usually go in-store here. My wife went in-store at McD the other week for frozen cokes, and the staff literally forgot her order. She was standing inside the cooled store (I was outside in the heat with the dog) and she says she didn't notice the 20min wait...

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:51 pm

meecrob wrote:
Max Q wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Its fundamentally a discussion of how you are outraged that you thought you could pay $1.95 for something and "THEY MADE YOU WAIT!!!" Like did you not just push your right foot a fraction of an inch down in your air conditioned comfortable chair while some teenager ran out to your car with your item and you didn't even tip them? How long were you delayed? And the bigger question, why don't you take your money to a store that doesn't do this? And why don't you park your car and walk in, so you can see what they are doing and tell them if they screw up?

You seem to have an over abundance of rage yourself..

ACDC8

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
25 years ago I worked in the McDs store which trialled staging in NZ, it precooked, then microwaved, we told the customers it was cooked to order.

And some customers probably actually believed that :biggrin:

Burger King has been doing it even longer, they broil the meat, leave it in the warming tray, assemble the burger when ordered and zapped in Chef Mike.

Mmmmm, warm ketchup and mayo :rotfl:

ER757

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:08 pm

Yeah, definitely a first world problem, but I hear you. I don't go for fast food nearly as often as I used to - maybe once a month nowadays, but I've noticed this has become something of a trend. I won't even go to the drive thru if there's more than two cars ahead of me because patience is admittedly not my strong suit. So it irks me when there's no one in line, I order something standard and they tell me to pull around and they'll bring it out. No, not the end of the world but it's bothersome.

Okie

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:59 pm

Last time I went to the McD's they had a two places to take the order, lane 1 and lane 2.
Then you would zipper vehicles and proceed to the pay window and then about 4 car lengths later the pick up window.

So when I ordered on Lane 1 and zippered into the pay lane behind the previous Lane 2 vehicle then another Lane 2 came up behind me and started tooting their horn.
Every time a vehicle ahead would move from the pay window the vehicle behind would toot their horn before anyone had moved, this went on for 4 or 5 times.
You know so when I got up to the pay window I told the cashier that I would like to pay for "Toots" food order and ask for the receipt.
Then when I made my way up to the Pick Up window I told them I had Two orders and showed both receipts and received both orders.

I guess "Toots" had to go back around the building and start all over with their order. :yes:

Okie

Aaron747

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:07 am

meecrob wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:

You think 16 year old kids who just ripped a joint give a hoot about you being too lazy to cook? You seem to expect service above what you want to pay for.

A fair point, but as someone who used to cook up a bunch of stuff on Sunday to bring in for lunch through the week, sometimes you get tired of your own (or the wife's) cooking and want something else. But yeah, nobody should expect much in the way of product or service for $4.95.

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:04 am

Okie wrote:
I guess "Toots" had to go back around the building and start all over with their order. :yes:

Okie

That's evil and I'd like to learn more of your evil ways so I can employ them if this ever happens to me. :devil: :twisted: :stirthepot:

fr8mech

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:16 am

meecrob wrote:
You seem to expect service above what you want to pay for.

No, I expect the agreed upon service that I paid the agreed upon price for. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was commenting on McDonald’s past(?) practice of providing some sort of small compensation if you had to wait too long or if they got your order wrong. That’s all.

ER757 wrote:
Yeah, definitely a first world problem

scbriml wrote:
First World problems.

Do you realize how condescending that is?

Yes, there are people that have it way worse than I (we) do, but that doesn’t make our complaints or problems any less valid. Like many things in this world, it’s all relative.

I learned something when I became a supervisor and had people working for me, and it was reinforced later when I managed the operation. It doesn’t matter how petty an employee’s problem seemed too me; to that employee, that problem could be the thing that is wrecking his day and is the most important thing too him at that moment.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 am

It happens, but rarely, I just tell them to take off the item that's not ready. Somehow, it's magically ready because they don't want to refund.

stl07

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:16 am

fr8mech wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Same here. I’ll skip my coffee…or God forbid…stop the car and walk in before sitting in a drive-thru line that’s 3+ cars deep. Of course, I see that’s becoming an issue with several ‘restaurants’ having ‘temporarily’ closed their dining rooms.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

See above. The only reason to hit a fast food place is to get food fast. If I have to pull through to get my food, it’s no longer fast.

Max Q wrote:

My favorite out here in CA is when a lot of the places have "temporarily" reduced the hours of the dining room due to COVID-19. As if your chances of catching the virus goes down by not coming in past 7pm. Now if they really cared about COVID, they would lower the amount of pollution in the LA area as the particles in the air have made lungs way more vulnerable to COVID than other places in the country

Aaron747

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:12 am

stl07 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Max Q wrote:

My favorite out here in CA is when a lot of the places have "temporarily" reduced the hours of the dining room due to COVID-19. As if your chances of catching the virus goes down by not coming in past 7pm. Now if they really cared about COVID, they would lower the amount of pollution in the LA area as the particles in the air have made lungs way more vulnerable to COVID than other places in the country

Not for nothing, the amount of pollution in metro LA has been dramatically reduced since 30-40 years ago, despite the increase in people/vehicle population.

https://news.usc.edu/76761/las-environm ... hier-kids/

bennett123

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:26 am

As I understand it, they don't know what you want until the first window. You then drive forward 5-10 M taking a few seconds and the food is ready.

This requires them to pre cook which is going to mean more waste as no one knows who will drop in and what they will order. The alternative is food being kept warm.

That is before people start wanting non standard.

stl07

Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Not for nothing, the amount of pollution in metro LA has been dramatically reduced since 30-40 years ago, despite the increase in people/vehicle population.

https://news.usc.edu/76761/las-environm ... hier-kids/

Very true, but it is still dangerously high

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm

But significantly less pollution than thousands of international cities. To put it in perspective. LA, indeed US, pollution levels are truly a first world problem.