Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

Re: ‘Pull forward and wait’ at the drive thru

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:12 pm

meecrob wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:
At McDonald's in times past if you waited a bit long they would give you something, like an extra hamburger, they don't do that anymore though (probably because it used to be a burger that had been there for some minutes and now they trash it...).

I can’t recall if it was because of a long wait or a screwed up order, but the kid at the window gave me an extra Quarter Pounder to compensate me. I asked him what the heck was I supposed to do with another Quarter Pounder? If I wanted 2 I would have ordered 2. It certainly would have been different if he offered a small fry instead, but a freaking Quarter Pounder? Come on.

You think 16 year old kids who just ripped a joint give a hoot about you being too lazy to cook? You seem to expect service above what you want to pay for.

There is drug and alcohol use and abuse in every sector of every industry. The cashier at the supermarket to Elon Musk.

As far as the rest of your statement, calm down. No one expects Wygu beef wrapped in gold leaf topped with caviar when they pay $2 for a burger.

Extra food is given when the store knows they screwed up. It is a "we're sorry we screwed up" so just take it in the spirit it is given. If you don't want an extra whatever, give it to the homeless person holding a sign saying they are hungry.

ER757

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Okie wrote:
Last time I went to the McD's they had a two places to take the order, lane 1 and lane 2.
Then you would zipper vehicles and proceed to the pay window and then about 4 car lengths later the pick up window.

So when I ordered on Lane 1 and zippered into the pay lane behind the previous Lane 2 vehicle then another Lane 2 came up behind me and started tooting their horn.
Every time a vehicle ahead would move from the pay window the vehicle behind would toot their horn before anyone had moved, this went on for 4 or 5 times.
You know so when I got up to the pay window I told the cashier that I would like to pay for "Toots" food order and ask for the receipt.
Then when I made my way up to the Pick Up window I told them I had Two orders and showed both receipts and received both orders.

I guess "Toots" had to go back around the building and start all over with their order. :yes:

Okie

That is fantastic! Hats off to you for a brilliant move. Would love to have seen the look on his/her face when they got to the pickup window. Must have been priceless :rotfl:

Okie

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:49 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Okie wrote:
I guess "Toots" had to go back around the building and start all over with their order. :yes:

Okie

That's evil and I'd like to learn more of your evil ways so I can employ them if this ever happens to me. :devil: :twisted: :stirthepot:

ER757 wrote:
That is fantastic! Hats off to you for a brilliant move. Would love to have seen the look on his/her face when they got to the pickup window. Must have been priceless

Actually I was in conflict over treating an a$$ with Kindness and just paying for their food or giving Karma a helping hand.

Karma won out.

Okie

DL717

Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:22 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Any discussion of drive thrus has to feature this clip (NSFW):

https://youtu.be/i9upvWNN3P8

One of the greatest scenes ever.

Aesma

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am

One thing that annoys me is that I always have to ask/check for the mayonnaise. Even if I specifically mentioned it when ordering and it's been added to my order.

USAirKid

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:58 pm

Max Q wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
A lot of fast food outlets nowadays are made to order, so it could just be that when you ordered, they've ran out and had to cook a new batch just to serve you. Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

My order was a milkshake, they got the flavor wrong, asking me to pull forward and wait when it takes ten seconds to make another one was pretty ridiculous !

In this case, yeah. They should not have parked you.

But back in my McDonald’s days, we had a time or two when someone had a large or special order and refused to pull up, so we just closed the window, then started serving people their food from the rear window.

1337Delta764

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:10 pm

meecrob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
As far as I know at McDonald's only Quarter Pounders are made with fresh beef.

[citation needed]

As far as I am aware, only Wendy's uses fresh chuck for their burgers of the main fast food chains, the rest use frozen.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/abou ... -beef.html

Confirmed on their own website.

lightsaber

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:05 am

stl07 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Other than Dunkin Donuts for coffee, nothing else; haven’t stopped for fast food in decades. Thanks for the warning, I’ll keep my record going.

Same here, except for the occasional Egg McMuffin.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I really don’t do fast food, I didn’t outgrow so much as never tried it.

I lived on that trash, but turned it off, cold turkey about 10 years ago.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Patience is not my favorite hobby,

Same here. I’ll skip my coffee…or God forbid…stop the car and walk in before sitting in a drive-thru line that’s 3+ cars deep. Of course, I see that’s becoming an issue with several ‘restaurants’ having ‘temporarily’ closed their dining rooms.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

See above. The only reason to hit a fast food place is to get food fast. If I have to pull through to get my food, it’s no longer fast.

Max Q wrote:
My order was a milkshake, they got the flavor wrong, asking me to pull forward and wait when it takes ten seconds to make another one was pretty ridiculous !

I would have insisted on them fixing it right there, also.

My favorite out here in CA is when a lot of the places have "temporarily" reduced the hours of the dining room due to COVID-19. As if your chances of catching the virus goes down by not coming in past 7pm. Now if they really cared about COVID, they would lower the amount of pollution in the LA area as the particles in the air have made lungs way more vulnerable to COVID than other places in the country

There are staffing issues creating reduced hours.

It is also creating worse serve (less experienced staff).

I always order something odd, so I must wait the rare times I eat fast food. Cest la vie. as noted, first world problems.

Chemist

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 am

USAirKid wrote:
Max Q wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
A lot of fast food outlets nowadays are made to order, so it could just be that when you ordered, they've ran out and had to cook a new batch just to serve you. Don't get what the fuss is about, really.

In this case, yeah. They should not have parked you.

But back in my McDonald’s days, we had a time or two when someone had a large or special order and refused to pull up, so we just closed the window, then started serving people their food from the rear window.

I worked at McD's like 40 years ago. This is actually for better service for those BEHIND you. Why should they wait for an order that isn't ready? They're trying to keep the cars moving if your order is taking more time. It's to keep the overall flow moving. Think of it as ATC, but for cars!

flyingclrs727

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:26 am

I prefer curbside service to drive through. I can order online from home, then pick up my order as soon as I arrive at the restaurant. If I don't do that, I'll just go inside, order, and wait inside. I hate waiting in line in a car breathing the exhaust from the car in front of me.

seb146

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I prefer curbside service to drive through. I can order online from home, then pick up my order as soon as I arrive at the restaurant. If I don't do that, I'll just go inside, order, and wait inside. I hate waiting in line in a car breathing the exhaust from the car in front of me.

If it is dry goods from, say Target, I totally agree. But not for food. Hot food goes cold and stale. You may think "it will only take me 10 minutes to get there" but there could be an accident, you could have an emergency, need gas... any number of things. I always go inside, order, and wait. Also, if the order is wrong, it can be fixed right there.

ER757

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:56 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:

Yeah, I hate waiting in line in my car either wasting gas or turning off the engine and re-starting if it's going to be a long time before I move forward (like if you see there's four people in the car in front of you, you can count on their order taking a while). Problem is that lots of places have gone to drive-thru only these days because of COVID, so I can't park and go inside like I used to.

bennett123

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Life is too short to be stressing over a 2 or 3 minute wait.

flyingclrs727

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

If it is dry goods from, say Target, I totally agree. But not for food. Hot food goes cold and stale. You may think "it will only take me 10 minutes to get there" but there could be an accident, you could have an emergency, need gas... any number of things. I always go inside, order, and wait. Also, if the order is wrong, it can be fixed right there.

I live less than 2 miles from the places from which I order. Most of them don't require me to get on major streets. One deli I frequent is just across the parking lot from the grocery store I use most frequently. I can put in an order, drive to the shopping center, get some high priority items from the store, put it in the car, then walk to the deli and pick up my order that I've already paid for. I'm sure if I lived in Houston of some other big city with lots of traffic, I probably wouldn't be able to rely on getting to and from restaurants as reliably to pick up orders.

NIKV69

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Which is why I love In N out and Chick Fil A you never have to wait!

seb146

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:00 am

NIKV69 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

One of my former co-workers went to Seattle and really wanted In-N-Out in Salem. They got off I-5, saw the line, and went on to Popeyes at the truck stop. WHY???? I prayed for her soul that day...

NIKV69

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

One of my former co-workers went to Seattle and really wanted In-N-Out in Salem. They got off I-5, saw the line, and went on to Popeyes at the truck stop. WHY???? I prayed for her soul that day...

You need to inform her that was a mistake. I think it's fair to say that the In N Out under the approach to runway 24 on Sepulveda is one of the busiest drive thrus and no matter how long it is you never wait that long!

seb146

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You need to inform her that was a mistake. I think it's fair to say that the In N Out under the approach to runway 24 on Sepulveda is one of the busiest drive thrus and no matter how long it is you never wait that long!

Yes. That In-N-Out is probably the fastest of all. Greatest view, too. I have never had to wait for my animal fries at any In-N-Out I have been to.