Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11608
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:24 pm

cairns wrote:
Us is the average voter. Geez you don't even get that, do you?

Obviously I do. You can't see that? And I already stated I like us, a lot in fact.

Nice intellectual conversation.

But that is kind of what things have devolved to in the USA. Talking points. Parroting things heard on the radio, or on TV, and in personal echo chambers.
Little to no critical (don't get triggered or scared now...) thought.

Tugg
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.


Yes, but deeply motivated people of their own selfish interests rarely work out well for the whole country. It is called Game Theory.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11608
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Regarding "average voters", the saddest thing is that the "average voter" hasn't had much of a say in things for years as both parties have played to their extreme bases for that few percent they need to win. If they don't then those "Deeply motivated to a right/left wing political position" voters stay home and that party loses.

And I am an average voter. No matter what some here decide to make up in their mind about me. I am kinda all over the place but the basics are don't spend more money and if you do show that there is a real concrete benefit, pay for what you do do spend, keep the communities safe, let people live their lives and don't impose if it doesn't directly affect you, don't go of on some tangent to fix all ills for all people.

Tugg
 
Ken777
Posts: 10203
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: 2021 Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I think the progressive views of the country as it pertains to the economy has everyone spooked and will play somewhat in this election. We need to get a handle on inflation and less from the AOC faction of congress. If McAuliffe loses I think the Dems will have to make some hard decisions come mid terms or 2010 will look like a picnic.


You may be right in believing that lot of folks are spooked, but I believe that is more due to the 2 Democrats in the Senate that have been playing games. Manchin ( the Dem's DINO) is a major cause, with Senator Senna being simply a glory seeking PITA. The resulting problem is that media is paying more attention to the problems they are causing than fully explaining the details of the Biden Programs. Pity. As far as McAuliffe goes, the race was closer than the GOP would like and has been influenced by the states history of selecting the opposition candidate in the first mid-term.

Looking to the 2022 and 2024 Elections, the Democrats re looking more to the 400+ racist laws the GOP is pushing at the state levels and those laws, if passed will shift in a totalitarian government for years to come and even you will be looking back on the democratic governments (including those run by the Democrats) with fond memories. Voter suppression is clearly a goal and you might as well be prepared fo the worse, or start voting Democratic!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3640
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:44 pm

casinterest wrote:
Let's congratulate the GOP. They won on broad messages of racism, lies, and anti-educational agendas in an off election year. It will probably create more firestorms going into 2022 and 2024.


My problem with blaming the message/"misinformation"/etc. is that how many of those people won't vote for GOP to begin with? They are a loud echo chamber...

SoCalPilot wrote:
Biden was +10 in Virginia and +16 in NJ this past election. If this isn't a wake up call for Democrats then I don't know what is.


NJ elected Chris Christie before...just saying...

Tugger wrote:
2.) I don't get where or why Dems in Congress and elsewhere think they have some kind of "mandate" or ability to go crazy and push whatever they want. They have a slim near non-existent majority and CAN focus on supporting things they prefer but that is it. Passing things is limited to the middle and real compromise.
3.) The Dems acting like they have been, like "now is time to ram through anything and everything" has caused many moderate voters to withhold support.

Tugg


100% agree. The Dems especially the progressive needs to stop thinking they are the "end all"...the progressive in particular is what? 20-30% of the overall Dem voting base?

Didn't the Dem learn from 2020 that they need to stop taking votes for granted? They even lost some House seats b/c they totally ignored the Hispanic voters.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11608
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2021 Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Ken777 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I think the progressive views of the country as it pertains to the economy has everyone spooked and will play somewhat in this election. We need to get a handle on inflation and less from the AOC faction of congress. If McAuliffe loses I think the Dems will have to make some hard decisions come mid terms or 2010 will look like a picnic.


You may be right in believing that lot of folks are spooked, but I believe that is more due to the 2 Democrats in the Senate that have been playing games. Manchin ( the Dem's DINO) is a major cause, with Senator Senna being simply a glory seeking PITA. The resulting problem is that media is paying more attention to the problems they are causing than fully explaining the details of the Biden Programs. Pity. As far as McAuliffe goes, the race was closer than the GOP would like and has been influenced by the states history of selecting the opposition candidate in the first mid-term.

Looking to the 2022 and 2024 Elections, the Democrats re looking more to the 400+ racist laws the GOP is pushing at the state levels and those laws, if passed will shift in a totalitarian government for years to come and even you will be looking back on the democratic governments (including those run by the Democrats) with fond memories. Voter suppression is clearly a goal and you might as well be prepared fo the worse, or start voting Democratic!

Personally I am good with the Manchin and Sinema. I kinda like them.

I don't want "yes people/toe the party line legislators", on either side.

And the reality is you have to work with what you have, who you have. If you have to have these two on board then you had better work for that first (and it would be smart if it could be done behind closed doors).

But then you equally have people on the other extreme that are also unwilling to work with you.

It all means "the Party" in useless in session. the problem is they have the money and party line voters out in the wild.

So we are all screwed.

The average voter that is. In case some here did not understand what being an average voter was.

Tugg
 
bpatus297
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:13 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
cairns wrote:

Saying a six year old white kid is an oppressor and is responsible for slavery is like telling a six year old Japanese kid he's responsible for Manila or Pearl Harbor. The Dems, for whatever reason, don't understand that. Your statements make that clear.


Yet curriculums teach WW2, including to Japanese-Americans, some of whom likely had older relatives who represented the Empire during that time or even placed in internment camps.

I know the GOP would never consider ending WW2 history because it might hurt some Japanese-American's feelings.

Getting back on topic from a review of the campaign, it seems Youngkin used in his campaign a "concerned" conservative mother who wants the Toni Morrison book "Beloved" banned from schools, a book that was required reading in late 1990's high school English curriculums. CRT is now becoming an issue simply beyond the Lincoln project. What other books does the GOP plan to burn?

Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' becomes latest flashpoint in Virginia gubernatorial race

Source: CNN


I have children in those Virginia schools, I can tell you its a lot more than what you are trying to minimize. Have you followed the Loudoun County Public School issues? What is being reported is just scratching the surface and for someone who doesn't live here to dismiss Virginians concerns is very disingenuous. There are some very real issues here and Youngkin emphasized with parents while McAuliffe said in a debate "I don't think parents should be telling schools what they should teach". I think that sealed the deal for him. He said it word for word, it was not taken out of context.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Let's congratulate the GOP. They won on broad messages of racism, lies, and anti-educational agendas in an off election year. It will probably create more firestorms going into 2022 and 2024.


My problem with blaming the message/"misinformation"/etc. is that how many of those people won't vote for GOP to begin with? They are a loud echo chamber...



Misinformation is always a problem when it doesn't deal with the real issues. People that might otherwise have some say in what is really an issue, are drowned out by the folks that pursue lies and agendas meant to push their party, instead of push for solutions. That is why I never give a pass to folks that openly support organizations that cheerlead that misinformation for profit.

You don't see mainstream organizations pushing a voter fraud lie today do you?
 
alohaislandair
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Last night, whether in Minneapolis, Virginia, Texas, NJ, etc., just shows how out of touch democrats and liberals are with the pulse of the country and the direction it’s heading under this current administration. To me it also screams red wave in 2022 and a republican president (De Santis, Scott, Trump) winning in 2024.

Kamala Harris said last week that the voting yesterday would show how 2022 and 2024 would go, and for once she’s right about something.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:38 pm

casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.


Yes, but deeply motivated people of their own selfish interests rarely work out well for the whole country. It is called Game Theory.


Progressives have created the straw man that Republicans are just racist, immoral people, which ignores the political realities. Keep it up and you’ll see A wave election next year.
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4286
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.


Yes, but deeply motivated people of their own selfish interests rarely work out well for the whole country. It is called Game Theory.


Progressives have created the straw man that Republicans are just racist, immoral people, which ignores the political realities. Keep it up and you’ll see A wave election next year.


Centrist democrats create this narrative and that is why VA was lost, its why Hillary lost, its why most democrats lose.

Progressives really don't focus on a lot of the social issues and advocate a lot for what is in this spending bill which polls well basically all over the country.
When I hear Bernie Sanders, Ro Kanna or Katie Porter talk, they hardly talk about cultural issues. Agree or disagree with him its clear where they stand.
 
Elkadad313
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Today, Biden blamed ‘Trump voters’ and ‘conservative folks’ for Democrats’ loss in Virginia. “I'm not sure that I would be able to have changed the number of very conservative folks who turned out and the red districts who were Trump voters,” he said.

The president said that he continues to bring up Trump 'because the issues he supports are affecting their lives every day, and their negative impact on their lives.' He didn’t specify who ‘their’ is.

Apparently, he didn't get the memo that his party will need more than anti-Trump rhetoric in order to stay in power.
 
cairns
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Let's congratulate the GOP. They won on broad messages of racism, lies, and anti-educational agendas in an off election year. It will probably create more firestorms going into 2022 and 2024.


My problem with blaming the message/"misinformation"/etc. is that how many of those people won't vote for GOP to begin with? They are a loud echo chamber...



Misinformation is always a problem when it doesn't deal with the real issues. People that might otherwise have some say in what is really an issue, are drowned out by the folks that pursue lies and agendas meant to push their party, instead of push for solutions. That is why I never give a pass to folks that openly support organizations that cheerlead that misinformation for profit.

You don't see mainstream organizations pushing a voter fraud lie today do you?


There you go with another straw man. The only two groups who promoted voter fraud were extremist Hillary and Trump supporters. No one else buys it.
 
cairns
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:40 pm

cairns wrote:
casinterest wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

My problem with blaming the message/"misinformation"/etc. is that how many of those people won't vote for GOP to begin with? They are a loud echo chamber...



Misinformation is always a problem when it doesn't deal with the real issues. People that might otherwise have some say in what is really an issue, are drowned out by the folks that pursue lies and agendas meant to push their party, instead of push for solutions. That is why I never give a pass to folks that openly support organizations that cheerlead that misinformation for profit.

You don't see mainstream organizations pushing a voter fraud lie today do you?


There you go with another straw man. The only two groups who promoted voter fraud were extremist Hillary and Trump supporters. No one else buys it.


And MSNBC blamed racism. Talk about not getting it.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:41 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.


Yes, but deeply motivated people of their own selfish interests rarely work out well for the whole country. It is called Game Theory.


Progressives have created the straw man that Republicans are just racist, immoral people, which ignores the political realities. Keep it up and you’ll see A wave election next year.



Republicans have created that straw man through their own actions in voting for immoral and racist politicians. A wave of what ? More people supporting lars, and pushing racist laws? Probably.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:47 pm

cairns wrote:
Education could be worse? We're already among the last of any civilized country when it comes to science and math scores. But yeah, let's teach CRT.....

Really, how stupid can you get?


How do you propose to raise science and math scores when the parents campaigning against phantom CRT are often the same people actively encouraging an anti-science mentality overall? I’m talking people who think two Google searches allows them to question/shout down professional research. One writer termed what our society is undergoing as ‘the death of expertise’.
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
MohawkWeekend wrote:
FGITD wrote:


Not even close. Manchin has made it clear that he is for the infrastructure plan but against the larger social issues one. In fact, he was just on TV railing against his Democratic colleagues who are holding infrastructure hostage to the second bill.



Not even close. There is no Social issues in the spending.
Manchin is holding it up for a full accounting of the Economic Impact of the spending from the CBO.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/579 ... nding-bill


Thats what I said. Manchin wants the vote on Infrastructure now. I doubt he will ever vote for the second bill because of the cost for the social programs it funds.

"Manchin, who called a press conference at the Capitol on Monday, railed against House progressives, accusing them of holding the infrastructure bill "hostage" while warning the tactics won't force him to commit to the separate $1.75 trillion spending bill before he is ready."
 
cairns
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:05 pm

No social issues in the spending....laughable.

It's a paean to Democratic special interests.

And Joe is apparently dead in the water. After launching an 85 car motorcade to meet the Pope and whine about the climate.
Last edited by cairns on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:07 pm

Speaking of the House, they added a big tax break for the rich by increasing the SALT deduction 7.25 times and subsidizing upper middle class child care. The subsidies on child care along with guaranteed wages for the caregivers could make child care unaffordable, which is exactly the history of college tuition subsidies. Einstein’s Law at work.
 
cairns
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:23 pm

But their unions have to teach a broad based curriculum, including what they did to aboriginals. But they're not teaching young kids that they are oppressors and are responsible for what their ancestors did.

Teaching 1619 and CRT is just the opposite.

And US teachers have singularly failed to teach math and science for decades. You can look up the scores for yourself. It's appalling.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:23 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MohawkWeekend wrote:

Not even close. Manchin has made it clear that he is for the infrastructure plan but against the larger social issues one. In fact, he was just on TV railing against his Democratic colleagues who are holding infrastructure hostage to the second bill.



Not even close. There is no Social issues in the spending.
Manchin is holding it up for a full accounting of the Economic Impact of the spending from the CBO.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/579 ... nding-bill


Thats what I said. Manchin wants the vote on Infrastructure now. I doubt he will ever vote for the second bill because of the cost for the social programs it funds.

"Manchin, who called a press conference at the Capitol on Monday, railed against House progressives, accusing them of holding the infrastructure bill "hostage" while warning the tactics won't force him to commit to the separate $1.75 trillion spending bill before he is ready."


I misread your quote. We will see where it all lands, but Manchin is going to kill a bill his state desperately needs.

WV is bleeding people due to the their lack of infrastructure, education and opportunity.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/WV
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11608
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 pm

cairns wrote:
There you go with another straw man. The only two groups who promoted voter fraud were extremist Hillary and Trump supporters. No one else buys it.

Really? The difference is for the Dem Hillary supporters it was a very small percent, for the Republicans it was and is far larger. Not "extremists" but mainline supporters and party people.
While 60% of Americans overall believe President Joe Biden fairly won the presidential election, 60% of Republicans instead believe Trump’s claims that Biden’s win was due to widespread voter fraud despite a lack of credible evidence.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... oll-finds/

The May 17-19 national poll found that 53% of Republicans believe Trump, their party's nominee, is the “true president” now, compared to 3% of Democrats and 25% of all Americans.

About one-quarter of adults believe the Nov. 3 election was tainted by illegal voting, including 56% of Republicans, according to the poll.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/53-rep ... 021-05-24/

While those who believe the election will be overturned are in the minority, a majority of Trump's voters think it should. Sixty-one percent of Trump's supporters believe the presidential election results should be overturned, nearly the same percentage of Republicans who hold that view.

https://www.newsweek.com/third-voters-t ... ll-1643093

Tugg
 
cairns
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:26 pm

In twelfth grade I went to high school in DC- dominated by teachers unions. I left a North Carolina high school where I actually learned some things.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:32 pm

Interesting article for those that wonder what is going on with CRT and how a district in Oklahoma has had to respond.

https://edmondschools.net/news/2021/dis ... d-meeting/
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:33 pm

cairns wrote:
But their unions have to teach a broad based curriculum, including what they did to aboriginals. But they're not teaching young kids that they are oppressors and are responsible for what their ancestors did.

Teaching 1619 and CRT is just the opposite.

And US teachers have singularly failed to teach math and science for decades. You can look up the scores for yourself. It's appalling.


I already responded to the ‘six year olds are being told they are oppressors’ silliness in an earlier post. Repeating it doesn’t make it true. Repetition of misinformation is still misinformation. Repost:

More partisan TV talking points completely without nuance. Please cite where in any curriculum six year olds are being taught they are responsible for slavery. Most districts in the country don't even touch the subject in any detail until 4th or 5th grade.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/how-i ... dy/2018/02

In the article's mentioned recommended guidelines for teaching the topic, there is no mention of making children 'responsible'. Please, this stuff is just silly.

Dems have not magically inserted CRT into the culture wars either - it has been a framework for understanding inequities in application of the law in law schools since the 1970s. That's another dumb talking point.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
Interesting article for those that wonder what is going on with CRT and how a district in Oklahoma has had to respond.

https://edmondschools.net/news/2021/dis ... d-meeting/


With this level of rampant mis/disinformation, it’s a wonder anyone is still serving on any school board :boggled:
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14428
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Interesting article for those that wonder what is going on with CRT and how a district in Oklahoma has had to respond.

https://edmondschools.net/news/2021/dis ... d-meeting/


With this level of rampant mis/disinformation, it’s a wonder anyone is still serving on any school board :boggled:



This is the hat that the GOP wants to throw down for 2022 and 2024. We are in for a lot more of this.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14757
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
That still does not reflect reality. MSP is one municipality out of how many tens of thousands nationwide? And it had no chance of winning on the ballot, and predictably failed.



It is still a bedrock belief of the base of the Dem party and it got on a ballot of a major city. Scary.

Ken777 wrote:

You may be right in believing that lot of folks are spooked, but I believe that is more due to the 2 Democrats in the Senate that have been playing games. Manchin ( the Dem's DINO) is a major cause, with Senator Senna being simply a glory seeking PITA.!


Why is showing some moderate judgement playing games? They are tryin to do the party right by getting them out of the abyss and you attack them? How come nobody attacked Bill Clinton when he worked with the other side? Trust me you would do better to listen to Manchin and Sinema more and Patty Murray, Chuck Schumer, AOC, Bernie and Pelosi less.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Always with the pulse of suburban women, SE Cupp on McAuliffe’s failure with mom messaging:

https://twitter.com/secupp/status/14559 ... 00641?s=21

WSJ calling Murphy for New Jersey

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/new-je ... 1635940355
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
That still does not reflect reality. MSP is one municipality out of how many tens of thousands nationwide? And it had no chance of winning on the ballot, and predictably failed.



It is still a bedrock belief of the base of the Dem party


Sorry dude, never getting north of 35% is not the base. Their base is reform - defund is a fringe position. 35 is less than 65...let that sink in.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:21 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
cairns wrote:

Saying a six year old white kid is an oppressor and is responsible for slavery is like telling a six year old Japanese kid he's responsible for Manila or Pearl Harbor. The Dems, for whatever reason, don't understand that. Your statements make that clear.


Yet curriculums teach WW2, including to Japanese-Americans, some of whom likely had older relatives who represented the Empire during that time or even placed in internment camps.

I know the GOP would never consider ending WW2 history because it might hurt some Japanese-American's feelings.

Getting back on topic from a review of the campaign, it seems Youngkin used in his campaign a "concerned" conservative mother who wants the Toni Morrison book "Beloved" banned from schools, a book that was required reading in late 1990's high school English curriculums. CRT is now becoming an issue simply beyond the Lincoln project. What other books does the GOP plan to burn?

Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' becomes latest flashpoint in Virginia gubernatorial race

Source: CNN


I have children in those Virginia schools, I can tell you its a lot more than what you are trying to minimize. Have you followed the Loudoun County Public School issues? What is being reported is just scratching the surface and for someone who doesn't live here to dismiss Virginians concerns is very disingenuous. There are some very real issues here and Youngkin emphasized with parents while McAuliffe said in a debate "I don't think parents should be telling schools what they should teach". I think that sealed the deal for him. He said it word for word, it was not taken out of context.


I agree that the messaging with parents was a total failure by the McAuliffe campaign. Can you elaborate more on how the school issues are ‘only scratching the surface’? Not sure what that means.
 
Elkadad313
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
That still does not reflect reality. MSP is one municipality out of how many tens of thousands nationwide? And it had no chance of winning on the ballot, and predictably failed.



It is still a bedrock belief of the base of the Dem party


Sorry dude, never getting north of 35% is not the base. Their base is reform - defund is a fringe position. 35 is less than 65...let that sink in.

I think less than 35% of Republicans are truly supportive of Trump, yet you paint virtually all Rs with a very broad brush. The rest (65%?) held their nose while voting for the lesser of two evils.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:16 am

Let's hope the Dems stay progressive!! Terry McAuliffe was a moderate, old school Democrat. Americans love progressive Democrats and the Squad members. This is one election. In many local elections progressive Democrats did well across the country.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14757
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Sorry dude, never getting north of 35% is not the base. Their base is reform - defund is a fringe position. 35 is less than 65...let that sink in.


Oh please, reform? By decriminalizing everything etc? In another 5 years cities like Philly and Chicago will be uninhabitable. Enjoy it. Damage is done and this will dog the Dems for a long time as long as the fringe gets the most airtime.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Let's hope the Dems stay progressive!! Terry McAuliffe was a moderate, old school Democrat. Americans love progressive Democrats and the Squad members. This is one election. In many local elections progressive Democrats did well across the country.


It’s that “love” that created a 50/50 senate, a five member majority in the House and clearly impaired President. 2022 is more likely than not to be a 2010 blow out. Enjoy.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:34 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

It is still a bedrock belief of the base of the Dem party


Sorry dude, never getting north of 35% is not the base. Their base is reform - defund is a fringe position. 35 is less than 65...let that sink in.

I think less than 35% of Republicans are truly supportive of Trump, yet you paint virtually all Rs with a very broad brush. The rest (65%?) held their nose while voting for the lesser of two evils.


Sorry, no. I only use ‘GOP’ for wide policy/party reference and have used ‘MAGA’ for the Trump personality cult for awhile. I even said in this thread broad brush claims about CRT and ‘defund’ are as ridiculous as SJWs saying every Trump vote is racist by association.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Sorry dude, never getting north of 35% is not the base. Their base is reform - defund is a fringe position. 35 is less than 65...let that sink in.


Oh please, reform? By decriminalizing everything etc? In another 5 years cities like Philly and Chicago will be uninhabitable. Enjoy it. Damage is done and this will dog the Dems for a long time as long as the fringe gets the most airtime.


Not the droids you’re looking for. Don’t conflate reform (hiring, training, psych eval, mental services) with DAs who have highly questionable prosecution policies. It’s a complex world - not every animal that jumps is a rabbit. With the hyperbole in your response there’s room for lots more nuance. Did you call Philly and Chicago ‘uninhabitable’ in the early 90s when murder rates were double today’s?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:46 am

They were, in fact, uninhabitable then, as now unless you’re very well off living in a wealthy enclave. I wasn’t asked then.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 am

casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Casinterst,

Deeply motivated to a political position. These are the same voters that gave Biden a 10 point win a year ago.


Yes, but deeply motivated people of their own selfish interests rarely work out well for the whole country. It is called Game Theory.


Yes, those white, misogynistic racists just voted in a African-American Lt Governor. I suppose they didn’t have pictures in the voting booths.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:57 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
They were, in fact, uninhabitable then, as now unless you’re very well off living in a wealthy enclave. I wasn’t asked then.


The data just doesn't bear that perception out - again, it's more the result of media fearmongering than reality. Even when things were at their worst in the early 1990s, population remained relatively stable.

Chicago:

1990 2,783,726
2000 2,896,016
2010 2,695,598

Philadelphia:
1990 1,585,577
2000 1,517,550
2010 1,526,006

Source: US Census

Here is a heatmap of Chicago violent crimes - clearly areas that are relatively safe are not limited solely to 'wealthy enclaves' - some working/middle class areas where community is strong would take exception to your characterization.

Image

Source: PBS, Chicago Dept. of Public Health

For index reference to the map, the US national homicide rate per 100,000 was 10 in 1991 and 7.8 in 2020.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... 0the%20CDC.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 am

Well, look at the rates in the read areas—rates in excess of 30/100,000. I’d say a steaming bowl of not good. Yes, old line working class areas were fine, too, but large areas, neither you nor I would walk at anytime.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:12 am

The future face of MAGA.

https://youtu.be/bwnqWIIXZM0

White supremacists must be stupid they elected a black female as Lt Gov and an Hispanic man as AG.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:28 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Well, look at the rates in the read areas—rates in excess of 30/100,000. I’d say a steaming bowl of not good. Yes, old line working class areas were fine, too, but large areas, neither you nor I would walk at anytime.


Okay, that's progress. That's a far cry from 'these places are uninhabitable unless you're in a wealthy enclave'. This is what I mean by how outrage narratives portray a non-reality. The reality is that specific AREAS of cities are uninhabitable, not the cities themselves, but that is nothing new. The spectre of urban ghetto conditions came around in media attention of the 30s, 70s, 90s, and now again.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The future face of MAGA.

https://youtu.be/bwnqWIIXZM0

White supremacists must be stupid they elected a black female as Lt Gov and an Hispanic man as AG.


No idea why supremacists require mention as nobody says they had anything to do with anything...??
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The future face of MAGA.

https://youtu.be/bwnqWIIXZM0

White supremacists must be stupid they elected a black female as Lt Gov and an Hispanic man as AG.


No idea why supremacists require mention as nobody says they had anything to do with anything...??


Have you listened to the any news or any earlier post here claiming it’s all about whites?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The future face of MAGA.

https://youtu.be/bwnqWIIXZM0

White supremacists must be stupid they elected a black female as Lt Gov and an Hispanic man as AG.


No idea why supremacists require mention as nobody says they had anything to do with anything...??


Have you listened to the any news or any earlier post here claiming it’s all about whites?


I just did a search of all 3 thread pages in my browser and the only references to whites were from right wing talking point nonsense about CRT. Can you highlight a quote please?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8965
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

No idea why supremacists require mention as nobody says they had anything to do with anything...??


Have you listened to the any news or any earlier post here claiming it’s all about whites?


I just did a search of all 3 thread pages in my browser and the only references to whites were from right wing talking point nonsense about CRT. Can you highlight a quote please?


Post 61, for a start. Plenty with an undertone to the effect racism played a role in VA. Plus Mary one post noting Republicans voted in the first black female Lt governor.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Have you listened to the any news or any earlier post here claiming it’s all about whites?


I just did a search of all 3 thread pages in my browser and the only references to whites were from right wing talking point nonsense about CRT. Can you highlight a quote please?


Post 61, for a start. Plenty with an undertone to the effect racism played a role in VA. Plus Mary one post noting Republicans voted in the first black female Lt governor.


There are maybe two posts with the undertone you mention out of nearly 150. That's your definition of 'plenty'? Hmm..

The vast majority of the posts on topic were either critical of Dem strategy, McAuliffe, or both. That definitely doesn't paint a picture of 'it's all about whites'. :boggled:
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15935
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 2021 US Elections.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:07 am

It appears that Phil Murphy (D) will win re-election as NJ Governor by about a 1% difference. Late numbers due to counting mail ballots in overwhelmingly Democratic party counties of Hudson (Jersey City) and Essex (Newark) put him over the top. When the vote is initially certified in 17 days (Nov. 20th) likely there will be understandable demands from Republicans for a recount.
This is the first time in decades a Democrat has won re-election as Governor. Turnout was actually lower than typical, likely Republicans more motivated to vote for Jack Ciattarelli than Democrats for Phil Murphy over taxes (especially our stupidly high property taxes) and objections to Covid-19 public safety polices. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: casinterest, FlapOperator, galapagapop, luckyone, seb146, SESGDL and 29 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos