Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:20 pm

johns624 wrote:
Did you see where Ruggs' attorneys are trying to blame the response time of the fire dept for the woman's death?
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/11/12 ... h-1162092/

Yes, ridiculous.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:32 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Did you see where Ruggs' attorneys are trying to blame the response time of the fire dept for the woman's death?

Yes, ridiculous.

It's incredible what kind of crap they conjure up.

dfwjim1

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:08 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Yes, ridiculous.

It's incredible what kind of crap they conjure up.

Sounds Rugg's attorneys are the scum of the earth.

nwadeicer

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:14 am

Just to play devils advocate. This is exactly why Ruggs is paying these attorneys massive amounts of money, to put up a defense. You may think they're scum, I personally think Ruggs is without a doubt, but he is entitled to a defense of his charges.

johns624

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
Just to play devils advocate. This is exactly why Ruggs is paying these attorneys massive amounts of money, to put up a defense. You may think they're scum, I personally think Ruggs is without a doubt, but he is entitled to a defense of his charges.
I know that. I really don't think that it's helping his cause, though. They'd be better off with a "the brakes failed" or " the throttle stuck" defense because that's going up against big, bad corporate America. Denigrating a fire dept is a publicity deadend. While police don't have the public perception that they once did, firemen are still the "good guys".

nwadeicer

Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:20 pm

johns624 wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:
I know that. I really don't think that it's helping his cause, though. They'd be better off with a "the brakes failed" or " the throttle stuck" defense because that's going up against big, bad corporate America. Denigrating a fire dept is a publicity deadend. While police don't have the public perception that they once did, firemen are still the "good guys".

Brakes failing or a stuck throttle are pretty much provable, physical things. Response times, time from when they arrived, laid down their hoses, tried to access the car are all up for debate when you're talking about seconds. All the defense attorney has to do is put some doubt into the jury regarding the response time. Why did it take X minutes to do A, B, C, D. Loo, I agree the guy is a piece of sheet and should go away for the rest of his life. That poor woman and her dog obviously suffered greatly. And as tough as it is to say this, everybody deserves a defense of charges against them.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:03 am

nwadeicer wrote:
Brakes failing or a stuck throttle are pretty much provable, physical things. Response times,

Are also provable.

nwadeicder wrote:
All the defense attorney has to do is put some doubt into the jury regarding the response time. ... everybody deserves a defense of charges against them.

Playing with fire there, pun not intended. It would be more likely that such a defense would create resentment for the defendant than anything else.

A more truly vigorous defense would be —and I am not saying this also is not being tried— to have the charges dismissed altogether. What do you think the odds of finding an unbiased jury would be?

The court probably will not go for that, but that is almost certainly still a better play than blaming the fire fighters for not cleaning up his mess fast enough.