Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:14 am

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/prosecut ... 11289.html

Huge story in Vegas. 156MPH? Goodness. I just hope that poor woman was unconscious as was her Dog. Fire is the worst way to go. I think the underlying thing here is the aggressive driving which was probably how this guy mostly drives even when sober. Did Topgolf overserve? Really sad.
 
cpd
Posts: 6853
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:50 am

That is terrible - 156mph is way too fast. 0.161??? What on earth was that guy doing.

Poor person and her dog. In my area (in a different country) we have big problems of street racing and recently nearby someone was killed in a terrible accident caused by someone street racing:

Image

I heard this car take off flat out from the traffic lights then thought nothing more of it. Later I hear the sirens of all the emergency vehicles and go walk outside to see what happened. Up the road I see everything blocked off and stopped - so walked up the hill and see absolute carnage. Wondered what the other vehicle was and if it was that tuned Skyline I heard earlier, and sure enough it was.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/nationa ... polhvvknxx
https://www.facebook.com/9NewsSydney/vi ... 719224351/

The second video is the actual accident recorded from the security camera outside one of the nearby houses. It was just horrible. The victim (in the Subaru Forrester) was innocent, she had no chance - she was doing a right turn as she was okay to do and then cleaned up as the Skyline came over the crest of the hill. It's not said how fast the Skyline was going, but he was really moving.

I have no time for these types who do this kind of stuff.

NIKV69 wrote:
I just hope that poor woman was unconscious as was her Dog. Fire is the worst way to go.


Absolutely. :(
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:06 am

cpd wrote:

Poor person and her dog. In my area (in a different country) we have big problems of street racing and recently nearby someone was killed in a terrible accident caused by someone street racing:



That is what I am saying. It seems racing and aggressive driving in the USA has been largely ignored yet kills just as bad as DWI. I don't think this guy needed to be drunk. I feel this is how he drove normally.
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:40 am

I really hate the physics of these accidents. It almost always seems the one going much faster is in a safer position than the one going slow.

I imagine if you had two idiots going head-on at 156 mph, they would then "cancel each other out".
 
johns624
Posts: 4530
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 am

The Raiders cut a player just because he killed someone? What is this world coming to? (sarcasm)
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:53 am

NIKV69 wrote:
cpd wrote:

Poor person and her dog. In my area (in a different country) we have big problems of street racing and recently nearby someone was killed in a terrible accident caused by someone street racing:



That is what I am saying. It seems racing and aggressive driving in the USA has been largely ignored yet kills just as bad as DWI. I don't think this guy needed to be drunk. I feel this is how he drove normally.


According to the story, this is also how he drove w/passengers. His companion was also injured.

For the victim, it seems unlikely she would have been conscious. At more than 100 mph difference between vehicle speeds the impact would have been incredible :ashamed:
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8925
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:42 am

The National Felon League where old white guys get to buy and sell young men. Football should be canceled—more HS football players are killed annually than in professionally flown Part 91 Jets.
 
cpd
Posts: 6853
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:22 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
cpd wrote:

Poor person and her dog. In my area (in a different country) we have big problems of street racing and recently nearby someone was killed in a terrible accident caused by someone street racing:



That is what I am saying. It seems racing and aggressive driving in the USA has been largely ignored yet kills just as bad as DWI. I don't think this guy needed to be drunk. I feel this is how he drove normally.


According to the story, this is also how he drove w/passengers. His companion was also injured.

For the victim, it seems unlikely she would have been conscious. At more than 100 mph difference between vehicle speeds the impact would have been incredible :ashamed:


This is where I just wouldn't be the passenger. I would just say pull the car over, stop, I'm getting out.

I don't know how you stop this kind of thing other than putting mandatory 120km/h (80mph approx) speed limits on all vehicles, like how heavy trucks here have 100km/h speed limiters on them.

I know that's a sledgehammer approach and it will upset enthusiasts who say they aren't doing anything wrong. Or you have tracking on the vehicle that automatically alerts authorities if a vehicle is excessively speeding or if the tracking device is modified. I don't know. What I do know is that the lady who died in the Forrester-Skyline collision above, she was I think only 23, had a whole life ahead of her and now gone. One of the residents fought to save her, but it was no good, too badly injured. :(

And after that, the friends of the speeding driver got on facebook comments of the news report trying to say oh, he wasn't speeding, the car just sounds fast "it screams", but no, he wasn't speeding, etc and then arguing with other people. The Police took action regardless. The passenger in the Nissan was trapped for an hour, while the driver climbed out the drivers side window. That was one of the worst accidents I've seen. The people living in the houses nearby reckoned the crash was so violent it sounded like a bomb explosion.


GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The National Felon League where old white guys get to buy and sell young men. Football should be canceled—more HS football players are killed annually than in professionally flown Part 91 Jets.



It's not really the fault of the sport, it's the problem of the administrators. They get these kids out of school who are good at a sport, really good and they get into professional sport with money, lots of it so they can have whatever they want, be it cars, women, etc and some of them still lack maturity and so they get into bad situations. Add alcohol and it's even worse.

We have it here in the NRL (rugby league) too. When things go wrong, be it some indiscretion or maybe some career ending injury, what do these people then have to fall back on as a career? A law degree, some other solid safe career option or are they just left out to try and make things work when they might have only ever done whatever the sport is they played.

One of my old friends ran a professional cycling team - a very good one, and was a pro-cyclist himself. He would get the up and coming young riders and support them and build them up to be damn good riders, even taking them racing overseas to some of the bigger races. But, he was also smart enough to make sure that they had alternatives to fall back on, study, career options, etc. He'd also do things like school visits to local schools where they were racing overseas. It's good promotion for the team and sponsors but it also gets the riders doing different things. That guy is smart and does things the right way, and it's important because professional cycling is very dangerous, if it goes wrong you could be killed or seriously injured in a way that puts you out of the sport completely or totally messes up your ability to do anything normal.

Another of my colleagues was in the PR field for a sporting team and it was her job to keep the young athletes out of trouble and at least once they did get themselves into a spectacularly bad position that needed all of her experience to get them out of trouble. Again young, lack of maturity and lots of alcohol...
Last edited by cpd on Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15922
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:36 am

Too much money. Too fast car. Too little brains. Too much to drink. A toxic and deadly mix for sure. The idiot lives, likely to survive but per several news reports, facing 2 to 20 years for vehicular homicide under the influence, dangerous driving and having a handgun in his car. Somehow he survived his gross stupidity, he is out on bail while some innocent woman close to his age is dead. He has lost his job, likely the only paying job or far best paying one in his life at $2 Million a year. Any assets he has will go into pay the likely civil lawsuit by the victim's family. The NFL has polices to pay for taxi or car service rides for players and others involved on teams who may be DWI but he had to be macho, show off to his lady friend and drive.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:42 am

cpd wrote:
Or you have tracking on the vehicle that automatically alerts authorities if a vehicle is excessively speeding or if the tracking device is modified. I don't know..


This is an excellent idea. I also don't like the idea of throttle limitations because that means enthusiasts can't use the vehicle they purchased on a closed track at their own risk. But we certainly have the tech to provide autoalerting to authorities anytime vehicle speed is excessive. Perhaps 90 mph highway and 60 mph local would be a reasonable starting point.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15922
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:12 am

Aaron747 wrote:
cpd wrote:
Or you have tracking on the vehicle that automatically alerts authorities if a vehicle is excessively speeding or if the tracking device is modified. I don't know..


This is an excellent idea. I also don't like the idea of throttle limitations because that means enthusiasts can't use the vehicle they purchased on a closed track at their own risk. But we certainly have the tech to provide autoalerting to authorities anytime vehicle speed is excessive. Perhaps 90 mph highway and 60 mph local would be a reasonable starting point.

Many cars have speed limiters due to the need for tires usable for normal street use that cannot be used over a certain speed, usually 113-117 MPH in the USA. Many trucks have speed limited to 65-70 MPH for safety and fuel economy. The concept of alert systems where police can be notified of excessive speed on roads is an interesting one but unlikely in the USA due to privacy laws.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:05 am

ltbewr wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
cpd wrote:
Or you have tracking on the vehicle that automatically alerts authorities if a vehicle is excessively speeding or if the tracking device is modified. I don't know..


This is an excellent idea. I also don't like the idea of throttle limitations because that means enthusiasts can't use the vehicle they purchased on a closed track at their own risk. But we certainly have the tech to provide autoalerting to authorities anytime vehicle speed is excessive. Perhaps 90 mph highway and 60 mph local would be a reasonable starting point.

Many cars have speed limiters due to the need for tires usable for normal street use that cannot be used over a certain speed, usually 113-117 MPH in the USA. Many trucks have speed limited to 65-70 MPH for safety and fuel economy. The concept of alert systems where police can be notified of excessive speed on roads is an interesting one but unlikely in the USA due to privacy laws.


Not sure privacy would be a dealbreaker - the system might only provide location and vehicle make. It will be up to authorities to see who’s behind the wheel.
 
cpd
Posts: 6853
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:06 am

ltbewr wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
cpd wrote:
Or you have tracking on the vehicle that automatically alerts authorities if a vehicle is excessively speeding or if the tracking device is modified. I don't know..


This is an excellent idea. I also don't like the idea of throttle limitations because that means enthusiasts can't use the vehicle they purchased on a closed track at their own risk. But we certainly have the tech to provide autoalerting to authorities anytime vehicle speed is excessive. Perhaps 90 mph highway and 60 mph local would be a reasonable starting point.

Many cars have speed limiters due to the need for tires usable for normal street use that cannot be used over a certain speed, usually 113-117 MPH in the USA. Many trucks have speed limited to 65-70 MPH for safety and fuel economy. The concept of alert systems where police can be notified of excessive speed on roads is an interesting one but unlikely in the USA due to privacy laws.


Some cars now are just putting in speed limiters anyway, newer Volvo cars don't do more than 180km/h, VW ID electric cars maximum 160km/h, etc. I like fast and powerful cars but for most conditions we cannot do more than 130km/h anyway on highways and local roads good luck doing more than 60km/h.
 
johns624
Posts: 4530
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:46 am

cpd wrote:
When things go wrong, be it some indiscretion or maybe some career ending injury, what do these people then have to fall back on as a career? A law degree, some other solid safe career option or are they just left out to try and make things work when they might have only ever done whatever the sport is they played.
They should have a four year college degree. I remember when ex athletes went on to other careers after their sports career was over. Even if it was just as a manufacturer's rep or something.
Last edited by johns624 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am

johns624 wrote:
cpd wrote:
When things go wrong, be it some indiscretion or maybe some career ending injury, what do these people then have to fall back on as a career? A law degree, some other solid safe career option or are they just left out to try and make things work when they might have only ever done whatever the sport is they played.
They should have a college degree. I remember when ex athletes went on to other careers after their sports career was over. Even if it was just as a manufacturer's rep or something.


Not sure about ex-NFLers but many ex ballplayers end up running car dealerships or doing local real estate - name brand is a good draw in those businesses. There are very few who can do broadcasting or keep a regular speaking engagement schedule.
 
cpd
Posts: 6853
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 pm

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... f565eb48e8

Totally senseless. The poor victim was alive and conscious. :(
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:55 pm

cpd wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/shocking-details-emerge-of-nfl-stars-deadly-fireball-car-crash/news-story/ec0a65160f703189ea7d9df565eb48e8

Totally senseless. The poor victim was alive and conscious. :(


The TMZ video is horrible. They don't even care about the other car or person in it. Can we get some help? I hope you both rot.
 
cpd
Posts: 6853
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
cpd wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/shocking-details-emerge-of-nfl-stars-deadly-fireball-car-crash/news-story/ec0a65160f703189ea7d9df565eb48e8

Totally senseless. The poor victim was alive and conscious. :(


The TMZ video is horrible. They don't even care about the other car or person in it. Can we get some help? I hope you both rot.


I didn't watch the video, I just saw the burning car and read that the victim was conscious that was enough. So angry.

I'd happily have blanket restrictions on the speeds cars can achieve as a result of these kinds of accidents. Enthusiasts won't like it, but these kinds of things keep happening. I live on a main road and I see these 'enthusiasts' using the road as a race track every friday, Saturday and Sunday night. It never stops. They always say 'we are responsible' well no, that's wrong, they aren't.

It's only a matter of time before the next big accident. I hate seeing those things - I live there and I'm usually one of the first people to be out there to help.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:00 am

So If I'm readying this correctly, the player in the felon league sat and pouted about his car while the women in the other car burned to death? Someone please correctly me and tell me I'm misreading this
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:12 am

stl07 wrote:
So If I'm readying this correctly, the player in the felon league sat and pouted about his car while the women in the other car burned to death? Someone please correctly me and tell me I'm misreading this


Nope it was quite disgusting and telling and it's why I have no sympathy for them.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 am

stl07 wrote:
So If I'm readying this correctly, the player in the felon league sat and pouted about his car while the women in the other car burned to death? Someone please correctly me and tell me I'm misreading this

*reading

*correct

wow that was some awful grammar
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14388
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:08 am

Ruggs only faces 2-20 years in prison.

I Wonder if the Reckless driving will be considered an aggravating factor?

https://www.shouselaw.com/nv/dui/laws/f ... -or-death/

2. What is the sentence under NRS 484C.430?
Causing a serious injury or fatality by drunk or drugged driving is a category B felony in Nevada. The punishment includes:

2 to 20 years in Nevada State Prison,
A fine of $2,000 to $5,000 (at the judge’s discretion),
A 3-year license revocation by the DMV, and
1 to 3 years of having an ignition interlock device as a condition of reinstating driving privileges
If the defendant was also transporting a child under fifteen years old at the time of the alleged violation, the court may consider it an aggravating factor when determining the length of the mandatory prison sentence and any fines.

If the defendant already had three prior DUI convictions, then causing a fatal DUI is charged as vehicular homicide (NRS 484C.440). This is a category A felony, carrying 25 years in prison or life in prison.

Note that the Nevada Department of Prisons tries to segregate people convicted of driving drunk from violent offenders and to house them in minimum-security facilities.4
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:16 am

What I hope is that the civil lawsuit to be filed against Ruggs takes ever last penny he has. Sorry about Rugg's extended family and their benefits being cut short. Not sorry.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:19 pm

As I said earlier, this reckless aggressive driving is more dangerous than Drunk driving.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/05/video-sho ... dui-crash/
 
FGITD
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Interesting to see some of his teammates and former coaches are offering their “thoughts and prayers” to Ruggs…

Teams and the league need to get away from that mentality, as it softens the blow.

Aaron Hernandez was literally erased from Patriots history the day he was arrested. Just like that. Gone. Brady didn’t come out saying “he’s a good kid in a tough place.” or that they’ll have to wait and see what the law says. Sure, he murdered a man…but is that so much worse than recklessly driving and causing a woman and her dog to burn alive?

If the league wants to change its reputation, players who get DUIs, beat their women, are involved in gangs etc etc…need to be erased from NFL history.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8925
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:50 pm

FGITD wrote:
Interesting to see some of his teammates and former coaches are offering their “thoughts and prayers” to Ruggs…

Teams and the league need to get away from that mentality, as it softens the blow.

Aaron Hernandez was literally erased from Patriots history the day he was arrested. Just like that. Gone. Brady didn’t come out saying “he’s a good kid in a tough place.” or that they’ll have to wait and see what the law says. Sure, he murdered a man…but is that so much worse than recklessly driving and causing a woman and her dog to burn alive?

If the league wants to change its reputation, players who get DUIs, beat their women, are involved in gangs etc etc…need to be erased from NFL history.


Maybe the league, football in total, needs to be erased from history.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:02 pm

FGITD wrote:
Interesting to see some of his teammates and former coaches are offering their “thoughts and prayers” to Ruggs…

Teams and the league need to get away from that mentality, as it softens the blow.

Aaron Hernandez was literally erased from Patriots history the day he was arrested. Just like that. Gone. Brady didn’t come out saying “he’s a good kid in a tough place.” or that they’ll have to wait and see what the law says. Sure, he murdered a man…but is that so much worse than recklessly driving and causing a woman and her dog to burn alive?

If the league wants to change its reputation, players who get DUIs, beat their women, are involved in gangs etc etc…need to be erased from NFL history.


I got into an argument with a coworker who kept proclaiming that the QB for the Raiders was his new hero for doing that presser supporting Ruggs yesterday. I mean I want you to support your friend but be quiet about it. Your former teammate destroyed a family FFS. Stay quiet for respect of the other family.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2617
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Another disturbing thing about this incident is Ruggs was able to bail out of jail ($150,000 bond).
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:29 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Another disturbing thing about this incident is Ruggs was able to bail out of jail ($150,000 bond).

And is definitely on his way to the Mexican border
 
johns624
Posts: 4530
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:43 pm

stl07 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
Another disturbing thing about this incident is Ruggs was able to bail out of jail ($150,000 bond).

And is definitely on his way to the Mexican border
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Interesting to see some of his teammates and former coaches are offering their “thoughts and prayers” to Ruggs…

Teams and the league need to get away from that mentality, as it softens the blow.

Aaron Hernandez was literally erased from Patriots history the day he was arrested. Just like that. Gone. Brady didn’t come out saying “he’s a good kid in a tough place.” or that they’ll have to wait and see what the law says. Sure, he murdered a man…but is that so much worse than recklessly driving and causing a woman and her dog to burn alive?

If the league wants to change its reputation, players who get DUIs, beat their women, are involved in gangs etc etc…need to be erased from NFL history.


I got into an argument with a coworker who kept proclaiming that the QB for the Raiders was his new hero for doing that presser supporting Ruggs yesterday. I mean I want you to support your friend but be quiet about it. Your former teammate destroyed a family FFS. Stay quiet for respect of the other family.


Friends don't let friends get away with vehicular manslaughter and gross negligence. The QB is a moron. Seems to be a lot of that going around the league.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 am

johns624 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
Another disturbing thing about this incident is Ruggs was able to bail out of jail ($150,000 bond).

And is definitely on his way to the Mexican border
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.



Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14718
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:48 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
johns624 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
And is definitely on his way to the Mexican border
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.



Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.


True but this guy is a definitely a flight risk
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:58 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
johns624 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
And is definitely on his way to the Mexican border
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.



Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.

You don't need a passport to get into Mexico
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:27 am

stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.



Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.

You don't need a passport to get into Mexico


You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.


NIKV69 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I bet that he doesn't have two nickels to rub together.



Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.


True but this guy is a definitely a flight risk


He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:49 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:


Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.

You don't need a passport to get into Mexico


You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.


NIKV69 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:


Or a passport. The article was clear that he was made to turn that over at his Bail Hearing.


True but this guy is a definitely a flight risk


He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.

I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:44 am

stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
You don't need a passport to get into Mexico


You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.


NIKV69 wrote:

True but this guy is a definitely a flight risk


He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.

I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.


LA does not have much to do with Mexican borders; for reference, we are nearly an entire NJ Turnpike away from the nearest. In any case, I also live west of 405 and have been through most of those borders. He will not get through.

I have not heard specifically if he is under House Arrest, but he is monitored electronically. Even getting to a border is a hopeless prospect for that man.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:41 am

stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
You don't need a passport to get into Mexico


You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.


NIKV69 wrote:

True but this guy is a definitely a flight risk


He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.

I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.


I believe you may be conflating our border with theirs. Mexico's issues with Americans pale by comparison, but they still have issues, and they still check, especially at major crossings and airports.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:53 am

He's wearing a monitor for alcohol use. I don't know if that acts as a tracker or not.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2617
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:18 am

casinterest wrote:
Ruggs only faces 2-20 years in prison.

I Wonder if the Reckless driving will be considered an aggravating factor?

https://www.shouselaw.com/nv/dui/laws/f ... -or-death/

2. What is the sentence under NRS 484C.430?
Causing a serious injury or fatality by drunk or drugged driving is a category B felony in Nevada. The punishment includes:

2 to 20 years in Nevada State Prison,
A fine of $2,000 to $5,000 (at the judge’s discretion),
A 3-year license revocation by the DMV, and
1 to 3 years of having an ignition interlock device as a condition of reinstating driving privileges
If the defendant was also transporting a child under fifteen years old at the time of the alleged violation, the court may consider it an aggravating factor when determining the length of the mandatory prison sentence and any fines.

If the defendant already had three prior DUI convictions, then causing a fatal DUI is charged as vehicular homicide (NRS 484C.440). This is a category A felony, carrying 25 years in prison or life in prison.

Note that the Nevada Department of Prisons tries to segregate people convicted of driving drunk from violent offenders and to house them in minimum-security facilities.4


I read in a news report that the reckless driving charge carries a 1 to 6 year prison sentence.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15922
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:18 am

Tina Tintor was a 23 year old woman who once worked in a Target store, more recently at working at home for an insurance company. She had a future ended while going home from a friends house and walking her dog. She came here and ended up in Las Vegas at 3 years old with her family from Serbia (part of the former Yugoslavia), trying to leave the sectarian civil war there only to be killed in senseless act of violence here. She was about to become a USA Citizen. She had friends. There have been online funding sites set up to pay for funeral expenses. As common with such deaths, a memorial has been set up at the site of the deadly crash. (I would give links to support this info but there is a paywall).

From other articles she along with her dog died an obscene death, trapped in her massively tangled vehicle and burning to death while the driver of the other vehicle survived. Both vehicles traveled over 500 feet after the initial impact, from investigation Ruggs' car hit Tintor's at over 120 MPH.

The golf range he was drinking at with such large amounts of alcohol and let him leave way too drunk to drive his car should face a loss of their alcohol license and likely massive lawsuits. Ruggs should be rotting in jail awaiting trial, not out on bail. I hope the prosecutor goes for a maximum sentence, no plea deal. The NFL Commissioner and team owners need to take stronger action including massive cash penalties and lose their job to prevent and discourage DWI and other criminal behaviors by players and staff long before they lead to what Ruggs did.
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.




He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.

I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.


I believe you may be conflating our border with theirs. Mexico's issues with Americans pale by comparison, but they still have issues, and they still check, especially at major crossings and airports.
Sorry, but you're wrong on this. Before Covid at least, you could certainly cross into Mexico without having your passport checked on foot. I did it many times crossing into Mexicali and Algodones. You just simply walked into Mexico - no questions asked, nothing.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2933
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:53 am

The option of posting bail and walking free is an abomination and should not exist in any civilised part of the world.

On reckless driving, my home country introduced a new law in March of this year in an effort to curb a growing number of instances, where idiots drove way over the limit and killed or maimed people. The new law allows for the police to confiscate a vehicle, if it has been used in reckless driving, regardless of whether or not the owner of the car was behind the wheel, or the technical ownership of the vehicle.

The definition of reckless driving in this jurisdiction is as follows: Exceeding the speed limit by 100% or more; driving more than 200 km/h on the motorway; driving with more than 0,2% BAC.

This has resulted in some interesting cases:

A husband used his wife's leased company car to fetch pizza. Exceeded the speed limit by 100% and the car was confiscated
A guy borrowed his friends leased Porsche, got caught doing more than 200 km/h on the motorway and the car was confiscated
A taxi driver, hired by a taxi company who provided the leased taxi, exceeded the speed limit by 100% and the car was confiscated
A truck driver was stopped and blew over 0.2%. The truck, owned by a haulier, was confiscated
A Norwegian citizen had bought a Lambo in Germany and was driving home through Denmark. Got caught doing 235 km/h on the motorway and the car was confiscated
Latest case is from today, where an 18-year old boy was caught doing 187 km/h in his dad's car. Vehicle confiscated.

Apart from having the car confiscated, the driving license is immediately revoked pending the court case. Transgressors are usually facing a multi-year (3 to 5 years) of revoked driving priviliges.

So far the courts have upheld the rulings and nobody has gotten their cars back. Since March, an average of 3 cars have been confiscated a day. In a country of less than 6 million people, that's actually quite a lot. The curve is, however, flattening out as people are starting to cotton on to the fact that driving like an idiot will result in the vehicle being confiscated. Which means the law is starting to have the desired effect.

Perhaps an idea worth pursuing.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:43 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

You need a passport to go to Mexico. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... order.html

To remain within the 20mi border zone, Mexico still requires an ID to enter. If your passport is not valid as mandated by court order, they will know and you will be detained. A court seizing a passport does not simply mean they take it and put it in a box for you. It is also flagged through the State Dept as non-valid. Border agencies have the ability to see this.




He presents an elevated flight risk. Which is why he is under a restricted release to include electronic monitoring as well as a sobriety monitor.

His crime is aggravated, but unplanned in nature. This means he is not likely to have an elaborate escape plan in place. But, with his resources and public support, it is also unlikely he will attend all hearings without supervision, hence the terms.

I think as a judge, I would have asked for more money.

I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.


LA does not have much to do with Mexican borders; for reference, we are nearly an entire NJ Turnpike away from the nearest. In any case, I also live west of 405 and have been through most of those borders. He will not get through.

I have not heard specifically if he is under House Arrest, but he is monitored electronically. Even getting to a border is a hopeless prospect for that man.


I’ve been to Tijuana many times. Mexican border agents generally just wave traffic through. I’ve never been asked for my passport when traveling on a bus! When thy do ask for it (traveling by car) they certainly don’t scrutinize it.

His point is that LA members of this forum would verify that Mexican authorities are lax…
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3067
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:56 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I understand what the law says, but as someone who lives in LA, I can assure you that the laws are not enforced. I know we have other members here from Socal who can attest to this as well. But to be fair, I don't think he thought that far out, considering that he was throwing a fit over his car rather than saving the woman he hit's life.


LA does not have much to do with Mexican borders; for reference, we are nearly an entire NJ Turnpike away from the nearest. In any case, I also live west of 405 and have been through most of those borders. He will not get through.

I have not heard specifically if he is under House Arrest, but he is monitored electronically. Even getting to a border is a hopeless prospect for that man.


I’ve been to Tijuana many times. Mexican border agents generally just wave traffic through. I’ve never been asked for my passport when traveling on a bus! When thy do ask for it (traveling by car) they certainly don’t scrutinize it.

His point is that LA members of this forum would verify that Mexican authorities are lax…

On 2nd thought, I don't think he would have the brain cells to consider fleeing to Mexico
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:

His point is that LA members of this forum would verify that Mexican authorities are lax…



I understand that. I live in a part of LA County where people generally have more than enough money to go to places like that at will. More people I know have not gone in the last decade than have. And we are not literally a border town. Hence why I would wonder why we would have any more insight on that than any other place in the region. Someone from Bay Area or Phoenix would have just as much intuition on the matter.

As for them being lax, at this point, unlikely. The border is only just opening up next week. The additional scrutiny available would almost certainly catch a famous guy like that.

stl07 wrote:
On 2nd thought, I don't think he would have the brain cells to consider fleeing to Mexico


It is indeed difficult to imagine someone making the decision to do what he did having the mental wherewithal to master plan some elaborate run to the border.

He blew a .161, but honestly, that is really nothing special when it comes to DUI/DWI/OUI. No doubt the law enforcement types here can tell you they have arrested much higher with more frequency than the general public assumes.

No, the idiocy required to drive at over 20% the speed of sound on a public road would very likely have been a problem for this guy when sober too. He is not going anywhere.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16799
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 pm

stl07 wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

LA does not have much to do with Mexican borders; for reference, we are nearly an entire NJ Turnpike away from the nearest. In any case, I also live west of 405 and have been through most of those borders. He will not get through.

I have not heard specifically if he is under House Arrest, but he is monitored electronically. Even getting to a border is a hopeless prospect for that man.


I’ve been to Tijuana many times. Mexican border agents generally just wave traffic through. I’ve never been asked for my passport when traveling on a bus! When thy do ask for it (traveling by car) they certainly don’t scrutinize it.

His point is that LA members of this forum would verify that Mexican authorities are lax…

On 2nd thought, I don't think he would have the brain cells to consider fleeing to Mexico


Also true. Any guy who does 'watch this' crap in a car to 'impress' (more like terrify) a girlfriend is deep into imbecile territory.
 
THS214
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:01 am

1.6 and he can drive... an alcoholic. After that 150 MPH and that is ME,ME,ME. That person didn't care about others. He was there to kill... him selves or others. That was a murder.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:28 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Too much money. Too fast car. Too little brains. Too much to drink. A toxic and deadly mix for sure. The idiot lives, likely to survive but per several news reports, facing 2 to 20 years for vehicular homicide under the influence, dangerous driving and having a handgun in his car. Somehow he survived his gross stupidity, he is out on bail while some innocent woman close to his age is dead. He has lost his job, likely the only paying job or far best paying one in his life at $2 Million a year. Any assets he has will go into pay the likely civil lawsuit by the victim's family. The NFL has polices to pay for taxi or car service rides for players and others involved on teams who may be DWI but he had to be macho, show off to his lady friend and drive.


2-20 for each count of bodily injury, one, the deceased, and the second , the passenger, in the car he was driving. and the gun charge.

Henry Ruggs could face over 50 years in prison if convicted in DUI crash that killed woman, dog: Prosecutor

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/henry ... osecutors/
 
johns624
Posts: 4530
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: NFL player DWI kills woman and Dog.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 pm

I got into an accident with a drunk driver who blew a .32. I didn't even know he was impaired but the state police trooper did. The funny thing is that it was another driver who actually caused the accident and then fled.
Did you see where Ruggs' attorneys are trying to blame the response time of the fire dept for the woman's death?
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/11/12 ... h-1162092/

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: melpax, sbworcs and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos