Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

2021 PRRI American Values Survey Results & Topic - Immigration

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:11 pm

PRRI, a nonpartisan religious organization that does public opinion research, has put out their 2021 study on division in the US. Their statistical methods are well-regarded and the American Values Survey has been an interesting data mine for several years running to watch stable and emergent trends. I thought it would be interesting to explore their results and discuss what they might mean for us on various topics. As always it is interesting if forumers outside the US also contribute their external observations or comparisons to views in their own country.

The first thread topic is immigration. I should note the study was conducted in late September so these are quite recent results.

https://www.prri.org/research/competing ... er-attack/

Right off the bat a huge concern for the Biden WH is this response, as they are totally underwater on immigration handling with independents and the 'all Americans' cohort:

Clearly, the current WH management of the immigration system is out of step with what independents want to see.

Some other interesting key takeaways:

1. Regarding the border wall: Americans who live in the West (34%) and in urban areas (34%) are less likely to support this policy than those who live in the Northeast (49%), the South (48%), the Midwest (47%), suburban areas (46%), and rural areas (60%).

2. Regarding legal status for Dreamers: Support for this policy has remained stable since 2019. Republicans (44%) are less likely than independents (70%) and Democrats (79%) to favor this policy.

3. Regarding whether immigrants strengthen the country or not: One-third of Republicans (32%), two-thirds of independents (65%), and more than eight in ten Democrats (82%) say that immigrants strengthen the country because of their hard work and talents.

A huge concern for the GOP is that independent and Democrat support for undocumented immigrants having a pathway to citizenship is very stable since 2016, whereas in that time it has had two periods of decline in the GOP:

Source PRRI 2021

I think the key here is that mainline conservative viewpoints are out of step with independents on most of these issues. These results seem to mirror viewpoints on diversity in general:

More than eight in ten Democrats (82%), compared to less than half of Republicans (47%), say that diversity makes the country stronger. Indeed, Republicans are five times more likely than Democrats to say that diversity makes the country weaker (16% vs. 3%). Independents closely resemble the general population, with two-thirds (67%) saying diversity makes the country stronger.

Since immigrants demonstrate a desire to be part of American life in some way, shape, or form, it's interesting to consider how a person's view of what 'American' means can influence their view of immigration. The survey had some results to mine on that as well, on the question of what are important traits to be 'truly American':

Most Republicans (62%) say it is important to be born in America, compared to 44% of independents and 43% of Democrats. and

Republicans (63%) are more likely than independents (37%) and Democrats (35%) to say that being Christian is important to being truly American.

So basically, to sum up, the two major parties have some real work to do if they want to bridge gaps and capture all-important independent voters on this issue. Liberals need to show they can effectively manage enforcement challenges while conservatives need to exhibit more openness to newcomers and acknowledge their value.

bpatus297

Re: 2021 PRRI American Values Survey Results & Topic - Immigration

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm

This definitely demonstrates that both Rs and Ds are out of touch with the real population.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:27 pm

Independent, all Americans average about a 63, Democrats are a 13 deviation, Republicans a 20.

There is an even greater deviation in willingness to resort to violence to attain their goals. US as a Democratic Republic is in peril.

Also see the odd religious convictions of much of the behind the scenes money and thinking of the power behind the ultra-conservative movement in the US
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... hp&pc=U531

Alias1024

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
This definitely demonstrates that both Rs and Ds are out of touch with the real population.

Aren’t Democrats and Republicans real people too? About 60% of the adult population identifies as one or the other, much of the remaining 40% that identifies as independent votes almost entirely for one party.

bpatus297

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Aren’t Democrats and Republicans real people too? About 60% of the adult population identifies as one or the other, much of the remaining 40% that identifies as independent votes almost entirely for one party.

Yes, people identity as Rs or Ds, but generally most Rs or Ds are really very centrist. They don't agree with the fringe of either side.

casinterest

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:14 pm

I think this poll shows that lies about what drives the economy and livelihoods has destroyed the GOP vision of what America is. America has always been a land of immigrants. The hypocrisy is driving people away from Churches as well.

Aaron747 wrote:
Most Republicans (62%) say it is important to be born in America, compared to 44% of independents and 43% of Democrats. and

Republicans (63%) are more likely than independents (37%) and Democrats (35%) to say that being Christian is important to being truly American.

From the article.

https://www.prri.org/wp-content/uploads ... ig_1-2.png

And yet again, you can see the stain that Right Wing Media has put on their viewers.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
I think this poll shows that lies about what drives the economy and livelihoods has destroyed the GOP vision of what America is. America has always been a land of immigrants. The hypocrisy is driving people away from Churches as well.

Aaron747 wrote:

From the article.

And yet again, you can see the stain that Right Wing Media has put on their viewers.

Yes, I couldn’t help but think that with some of the specific conservative viewpoints in the poll, fearmongering seemed the likely cause, especially the decreased markers of compassion from previous years’ surveys.

casinterest

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Aaron747 wrote:

From the article.

Yes, I couldn’t help but think that with some of the specific conservative viewpoints in the poll, fearmongering seemed the likely cause, especially the decreased markers of compassion from previous years’ surveys.

There are some real gems in this one. We could have threads for weeks.

I will note that the racism one. Even more republicans think Racism has taken over the party in the last 5 years. This also effects their view on immigration.

The two highest issues(Immigration and Terrorism) on this list have little to do with what has happened in the last two years in the US from a GOP point of view, unless they are finally admitting that Jan 6 was a case of domestic terrorism.

seb146

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:17 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Yes, people identity as Rs or Ds, but generally most Rs or Ds are really very centrist. They don't agree with the fringe of either side.

These polls look like independents and Democrats are pretty close in agreement on many issues and, yet, Republicans hold most of the power in this country and, in some states, have even used laws to ensure no other party will be in power. Maybe we should have a government made up of what the actual country looks like and not what one party wants?

I get ads on various social media sites and I have noticed something about ads asking for hand-outs to strengthen immigration: they all say how weak and unsecured our borders are but they use pictures of a big, glorious wall and use pictures of immigration patrols. To defend their stance that we have no wall or patrols along the border.

bpatus297

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:28 pm

seb146 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

These polls look like independents and Democrats are pretty close in agreement on many issues and, yet, Republicans hold most of the power in this country and, in some states, have even used laws to ensure no other party will be in power. Maybe we should have a government made up of what the actual country looks like and not what one party wants?

I get ads on various social media sites and I have noticed something about ads asking for hand-outs to strengthen immigration: they all say how weak and unsecured our borders are but they use pictures of a big, glorious wall and use pictures of immigration patrols. To defend their stance that we have no wall or patrols along the border.

How do you get that independants are and Dems are in agreement from this? Again, I have asked you to cite legislation in the past and you haven't, what laws are keeping Republicans in power?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:30 am

bpatus297 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

How do you get that independants are and Dems are in agreement from this? Again, I have asked you to cite legislation in the past and you haven't, what laws are keeping Republicans in power?

As noted in the OP, a majority of independents and Dems agree on: legal status for Dreamers, undocumented should have a pathway to citizenship, being from America not necessary to be ‘truly American’ and that immigrants make the country stronger.

Alias1024

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:50 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I’m not sure I’d agree that most are “very centrist.” I doubt that every self-identified Republican or Democrat in those surveys is at the extremes of the political bell curve, yet there are still substantial differences on issues like the wealth gap, racial justice, the environment, healthcare, immigration, and the pandemic.

As cable news and later the internet became prominent sources of political discussion, it built competing ideological bubbles and many have fit their views on issues to be in alignment with their chosen team. I feel there are fewer centrists. People don’t want to feel rejected by the group and they rationalize changing their views to avoid criticism or being ostracized.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:16 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

I’m not sure I’d agree that most are “very centrist.” I doubt that every self-identified Republican or Democrat in those surveys is at the extremes of the political bell curve, yet there are still substantial differences on issues like the wealth gap, racial justice, the environment, healthcare, immigration, and the pandemic.

As cable news and later the internet became prominent sources of political discussion, it built competing ideological bubbles and many have fit their views on issues to be in alignment with their chosen team. I feel there are fewer centrists. People don’t want to feel rejected by the group and they rationalize changing their views to avoid criticism or being ostracized.

There is also the possibility people with established party identity lie to pollsters and surveys to ‘defend’ the team even if their personal view on an issue is more centrist.