Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Shooting Between Drug Cartels at a Resort in Cancun

Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:52 am

Earlier today, there was a shooting between rival drug cartels at a beach resort in Cancun. The shootout took place at the Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun Resort. Will be interesting to see how this impacts tourism in Cancun specifically.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 171903.amp

ACDC8

Re: Shooting Between Drug Cartels at a Resort in Cancun

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:15 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how this impacts tourism in Cancun specifically.

Pretty sure that most people won't care, especially with this being the first winter where travel to Cancun is realistically possible for most, I doubt it'll have any impact on tourism what so ever.

bpatus297

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 am

ACDC8 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how this impacts tourism in Cancun specifically.

Pretty sure that most people won't care, especially with this being the first winter where travel to Cancun is realistically possible for most, I doubt it'll have any impact on tourism what so ever.

I probably wont be very widely reported.

johns624

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Cancun has a higher murder rate than Detroit, yet people don't come here to vacation... I can't remember how many times I've tried to talk people out of going there and their response is always "they have security guards, it's safe". Yeah, they have security guards until the cartels knock on their doors in the middle of the night and tell them not to come to work the next day because there's going to be trouble. Sometimes stupid has to hurt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... urder_rate

Derico

Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Maybe it's just a strategy to make US tourists feel more at home... :duck:

bpatus297

Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:13 pm

johns624 wrote:
Cancun has a higher murder rate than Detroit, yet people don't come here to vacation... I can't remember how many times I've tried to talk people out of going there and their response is always "they have security guards, it's safe". Yeah, they have security guards until the cartels knock on their doors in the middle of the night and tell them not to come to work the next day because there's going to be trouble. Sometimes stupid has to hurt.

Cancun is controlled by the cartels.

johns624

Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:15 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Mexico is controlled by the cartels.

bpatus297

Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Touche

NIKV69

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm

More reason I will never set foot in Mexico. Even the Resorts are gone.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:01 pm

johns624 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

They don't control the federal government or the old money power elite in CDMX, but everything else is fair game. Local and state governments basically bow to them in the states where they are based.

SRQLOT

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

I have a coworker that is white and has a Mexican wife and she has a house in Mexico, he refuses to travel there. I have been to Mexico 4 times in the last 2 years(including a 3 month stay) and love it!!

Yeah if you hang out in bad neighborhoods, buy drugs you are asking for it, just like in every city around the world. In my husbands town last year a new cartel came in, cleared out the 3 local other cartel drug dealers and installed their own. 2 days later everything was back to normal. Don’t do drugs, don’t sell drugs, don’t transport drugs, and you’ll be fine. Yeah unfortunately sometimes something terrible happen. No different then stabbings on trains in Europe or Asia. Sometimes you happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

This year finally stepped foot in Dallas, what a shitty downtown. We talked to hotel staff, we thought Dallas was a nice city, and they laughed and said don’t go to downtown after sunset unless you plan on getting shot. I have no problems walking in Durango or Guadalajara at night.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:05 am

Well, the current murder rate in the state of Quintana Roo is very bad. 32.45 per 100000. Ouch.
On the other hand, I spent some time in are with much worse murder rate. 7 months last year, another month this year. Never had any problems.
Try to guess where was it.

Dogman

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
Well, the current murder rate in the state of Quintana Roo is very bad. 32.45 per 100000. Ouch.
On the other hand, I spent some time in are with much worse murder rate. 7 months last year, another month this year. Never had any problems.

Belize?

johns624

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:32 am

The difference is that shootings don't normally happen where tourists go. This time they did. Is this a one-off or are they becoming more brazen?

Aaron747

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:48 am

johns624 wrote:
The difference is that shootings don't normally happen where tourists go. This time they did. Is this a one-off or are they becoming more brazen?

Still a one-off but more brazen as well. There was another drug war shooting in Tulum, not far from Cancun, last month. That one also caught tourists off guard, as the two killed were both tourists.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... g-shootout

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:57 am

Dogman wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

Belize?

St. Croix. The industrial US Virgin Island.

SoCalPilot

Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:06 am

SRQLOT wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

This year finally stepped foot in Dallas, what a shitty downtown. We talked to hotel staff, we thought Dallas was a nice city, and they laughed and said don’t go to downtown after sunset unless you plan on getting shot. I have no problems walking in Durango or Guadalajara at night.

While you may feel safe, the facts dont back up your feelings.

Guadalajara is one of the most dangerous cities in the world and has a murder rate almost 3 times that of Dallas.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

While you may feel safe, the facts dont back up your feelings.

Guadalajara is one of the most dangerous cities in the world and has a murder rate almost 3 times that of Dallas.

Yes, but even facts are nuanced. GDL is a metro area of 5 million, and there is a large expat community there. While it may be one of the 'most dangerous cities in the world', the risk is limited to a few well-known areas and the majority of victims are connected to narcotráfico. Virtually no violent crime befalls tourists in the historical Centro district, as an example. The same rules are in play for GDL as any other major city in the developing world - avoid ostentatious displays of wealth and absolutely do not seek out or involve with drug dealers and the like.

On multiple visits to Mexico, I felt much safer than in South Africa, for example. Yet the stats will tell you GDL and CPT are comparably dangerous.

stl07

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:30 am

Interesting to see San Juan so high on that list of murders. So in theory, CUN is safer than the "domestic" option

Aaron747

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 am

stl07 wrote:
Interesting to see San Juan so high on that list of murders. So in theory, CUN is safer than the "domestic" option

San Juan has a similar setup to Mexico - violent crime is infrequent/rare in popular tourist areas due to regular and visible police presence. If you stay in the old town and hotel district in San Juan, you're basically fine. Venture into the barrios without a local who knows what's up...probably not the best idea.

11C

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:21 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I have a coworker that is white and has a Mexican wife and she has a house in Mexico, he refuses to travel there. I have been to Mexico 4 times in the last 2 years(including a 3 month stay) and love it!!

Yeah if you hang out in bad neighborhoods, buy drugs you are asking for it, just like in every city around the world. In my husbands town last year a new cartel came in, cleared out the 3 local other cartel drug dealers and installed their own. 2 days later everything was back to normal. Don’t do drugs, don’t sell drugs, don’t transport drugs, and you’ll be fine. Yeah unfortunately sometimes something terrible happen. No different then stabbings on trains in Europe or Asia. Sometimes you happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I feel the same way. I feel safer in Loreto walking around after dark than I do in any US city.

WA707atMSP

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:27 pm

One city with a rapidly escalating crime problem is Minneapolis.

Since George Floyd's murder last year, violent crime has increased dramatically, and carjacking are occurring in even the city's wealthy neighborhoods.

In most cities, if you use common sense you can usually avoid being a crime victim, but that's no longer the case in MSP.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:54 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
One city with a rapidly escalating crime problem is Minneapolis.

Since George Floyd's murder last year, violent crime has increased dramatically, and carjacking are occurring in even the city's wealthy neighborhoods.

In most cities, if you use common sense you can usually avoid being a crime victim, but that's no longer the case in MSP.

I'm sure MSP has been particularly impacted with police policy and what not, but carjackings are massively up nationwide since the pandemic. According to law enforcement, the double whammy of teens being home idle from school and young adult joblessness are what sent the numbers up.

Dogman

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:02 pm

We are going to Cozumel next week, which is close to Cancun. We've been going there every year since 2013 before COVID. We always felt safe there, but now I am not too sure. Still, the urge to get away and do some diving is just too great. We will see whether it was a mistake.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Dogman wrote:
We are going to Cozumel next week, which is close to Cancun. We've been going there every year since 2013 before COVID. We always felt safe there, but now I am not too sure. Still, the urge to get away and do some diving is just too great. We will see whether it was a mistake.

We just returned from Akumal. Felt safe there, experienced no problems.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:45 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Earlier today, there was a shooting between rival drug cartels at a beach resort in Cancun. The shootout took place at the Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun Resort. Will be interesting to see how this impacts tourism in Cancun specifically.

60 people were killed and 411 wounded in Las Vega in 2017, did that stop people from going to Las Vegas? I don't believe the majority of people will care.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:59 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

60 people were killed and 411 wounded in Las Vega in 2017, did that stop people from going to Las Vegas? I don't believe the majority of people will care.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Excellent point - this is proof positive people don't really care.