Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Windows 11

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:42 pm

I have been hearing wait to upgrade what do the computer experts here say?

casinterest

Re: Windows 11

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:01 pm

I am still running DOS 3.0 don't ask me. .....:)

Seriously though , unless you are waiting for one of the new features, it is best to wait about 6-12 months to upgrade. You will want more bugs to be found and fixed by people that are willing to take the risk at the newer loads.

I have to say though, the new features look great. Even if they existed on my Solaris Sparc 20 + years ago.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/win ... they-work/

seb146

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:29 pm

I would agree on waiting. I had a touch screen phone when they first came out. I wanted to be one of those "I was there first" types. It was a disaster. The touch screen failed after a few months. I waited several years to get a touch screen phone after that. They have all been reliable ever since.

StarAC17

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Have you confirmed that you can in fact upgrade your PC to it? If you can it should be listed as an optional update in Windows update. If you have the patience I would try and have found that Windows upgrading is now a lot easier than in the past.

However if able I will upgrade, ensure Windows is activated and have my Microsoft account linked and then wipe the PC and clean install Windows. I would do this for Windows 11 as I like the clean installs over upgrades.
I personally had no issues with Windows Vista, 7 or 10 but I am a bit of a nerd with this.

My 5 year old laptop said it cannot run windows 10 and I think you need a 3 year old or newer processor to run it.

Link to the compatibility tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows ... ealthcheck

WesternDC6B

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:57 pm

I have two machines I updated. Both are running like tops. One has an Intel i5, the other one of the middle-grade AMD Ryzen processors. Some stuff was moved around for the sake of moving it around, but it runs fine.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:47 pm

I feel like my laptop runs better on 11 than 10. And importantly, MSFS runs better and at higher settings than before.

Aesma

Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:52 pm

It seems to me that the changes aren't to the core of the OS which stays the same, so I wouldn't be worried about upgrading right away.

I can't at the moment as my newest PC is not managed by me (work laptop) and my personal one awaits for an hardware upgrade, when graphics card are available at normal prices again.

vrbarreto

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:24 pm

You can edit the registry and install Windows 11 on machines that don't have supported processors.. There is also a scrip out there somewhere to skip the tpm requirement. I installed it on my unsupported laptop via install media and it works fine.. Although I haven't noticed anything great about it compared to Windows 10

cjg225

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:30 pm

I probably need to upgrade my PC itself before I upgrade to Win 11. I waited until the last few days of Win 7 being supported before I switched to Win 10. Win 10 has been fine, but still think 7 was better. I haven't upgraded my desktop in probably 8 years aside from a new graphics card 6 years ago. Awful timing with how expensive components are right now, but... I guess at some point I just need to get it over with.

Aesma

Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:40 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
You can edit the registry and install Windows 11 on machines that don't have supported processors.. There is also a scrip out there somewhere to skip the tpm requirement. I installed it on my unsupported laptop via install media and it works fine.. Although I haven't noticed anything great about it compared to Windows 10

Yeah but the graphics card is also one reason to get Windows 11, with its new graphics features, and I'll use a 48" 4K OLED TV as a monitor, so there is no real point in only upgrading the OS. I also like to keep various OS in // (not all windows) so I will keep this older PC with Win10.

StarAC17

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:37 pm

cjg225 wrote:
I probably need to upgrade my PC itself before I upgrade to Win 11. I waited until the last few days of Win 7 being supported before I switched to Win 10. Win 10 has been fine, but still think 7 was better. I haven't upgraded my desktop in probably 8 years aside from a new graphics card 6 years ago. Awful timing with how expensive components are right now, but... I guess at some point I just need to get it over with.

Microsoft is still going to be supporting Windows 10 for some time going forward with updates so if you are on older hardware then there is no rush to update anything.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
I am still running DOS 3.0 don't ask me. .....:)

Seriously though , unless you are waiting for one of the new features, it is best to wait about 6-12 months to upgrade. You will want more bugs to be found and fixed by people that are willing to take the risk at the newer loads.

I have to say though, the new features look great. Even if they existed on my Solaris Sparc 20 + years ago.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/win ... they-work/

DOS I would love to see that.

StarAC17 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Have you confirmed that you can in fact upgrade your PC to it? If you can it should be listed as an optional update in Windows update. If you have the patience I would try and have found that Windows upgrading is now a lot easier than in the past.

Thanks and yes my Lenovo is brand new and can handle it.

Thanks for the all the help guys I am holding off for now.

Aaron747

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Thanks for the all the help guys I am holding off for now.

You won't be sorry you did. An OS is not a mature product until months after release.

cpd

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:57 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

However if able I will upgrade, ensure Windows is activated and have my Microsoft account linked and then wipe the PC and clean install Windows. I would do this for Windows 11 as I like the clean installs over upgrades.
I personally had no issues with Windows Vista, 7 or 10 but I am a bit of a nerd with this.

My 5 year old laptop said it cannot run windows 10 and I think you need a 3 year old or newer processor to run it.

That TPM requirement stops me installing it on my Macs. They are all more than powerful enough to handle it, but the TPM looks tricky. There are workarounds. I’m not losing anything much.

Two of the macs are Intel Xeon X5690, the other is Xeon E5 2697V2.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:10 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Outside computer experts are telling people to hold off just yet.

I'll wait until next year before upgrading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfI7Z2L7Xw

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Outside computer experts are telling people to hold off just yet.

I'll wait until next year before upgrading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfI7Z2L7Xw

I came to the same conclusion. Thanks all for your input!

DL717

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Windows trying to spoof as a Mac. Pure comedy.

https://bestgamingpro.com/microsoft-off ... indows-11/

I guess if you can’t beat them, you join them.