Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T4thH
Topic Author

At least 8 dead and many injured at the Astroworld Festival in Houston

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 am

Breaking news in German TV, till now no link. 8 confirmed dead (and counting?).

EDIT: link.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/06/us/houston-astroworld-festival/index.html
At least 8 dead, many hurt.

https://abc13.com/astroworld-festival-canceled-deaths-fatal-texas-concert/11203827/
8 dead, hundreds injured.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

DIRECTFLT

Re: At least 8 dead and many injured at the Astroworld Festival in Houston

Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:20 pm

This video has context for how the crowd was stationed in the daytime. There appears to be an area, for the VIP's near the front that has a lot of room, but probably filled up by the time the main act came onstage. What has not yet been revealed, is where exactly the crush of fans was that caused the injuries and deaths. Was it at the very front of the stage, or was it at some barrier area section before that? Also, did fans jump over barriers to get to the section near the stage? Many unanswered questions at this time.

https://youtu.be/iGh5_1BSFy8

Amy Harris, a freelance photographer for The Associated Press, described an “aggressive” crowd atmosphere throughout the day because of the way fans were behaving — pushing and rushing the stage barricades and prohibited VIP and admission areas.

“It was definitely the most chaotic festival environment that I’ve been in,” Harris said. “I felt uneasy all day.”

At one point, she got trapped behind a barricade while photographing performer Don Toliver because about 300 fans rushed the area. They ended up behind the security barricade with her.

“I was scared,” she said.

https://apnews.com/article/travis-scott ... 1c6f71f9bf

phatfarmlines

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:55 pm

I thought perhaps there was a collapse of stands, but it seems like there were way too many people at this event, likely breaking fire codes.

The Astroworld festival has become a highly popular event for Generation Z.

T4thH
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:59 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
I thought perhaps there was a collapse of stands, but it seems like there were way too many people at this event, likely breaking fire codes.

Sorry, it was on Friday and just half filled with 50.000. The double number was expected for the Saturday. So perhaps, we shall be happy, that it was not today.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:33 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

Think of it as EDM for the young rapper/white rapper audience.

Stage at 7:24

https://youtu.be/f2O3natMTO4?t=444

Elkadad313

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm

The crowd didn’t care about anyone except themselves. The self-adulation and narcissism was beyond anything seen before. The so-called "music" of our times seems to reflect the current state of society. Not real music but noise filled with expletives and hate for women and cops. Horrible.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:00 pm

It may have been murder - there are confirmed reports that somebody was randomly “stabbing” concertgoers with a drug needle. At least one person was caught on video foaming at the mouth before collapsing.

Aesma

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:08 am

I'm reading one entrance was rushed so there may have been more people that tickets sold, and some people with high adrenaline and no care for what would happen since they didn't fork the price of a ticket...

I've been to plenty of festivals, but always rock ones. There are often rap/hip-hop acts but the crowd is clearly not made of fans of such music only, or people coming for these musicians alone are in the minority.

Last festival I went to there was Post Malone, I had never heard of him, I see he was at the inaugural Astroworld festival. Another year I saw Cypress Hill.

I had never heard of a mainly rap/hop-hop festival, I guess now I have...

WidebodyPTV

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:11 am

Travis Scott is pretty unique - he has a HUGE following, but most of his fans are super young… and at his shows, almost exclusively white.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:02 am

Good reporting and interviews from ABC 13 in Houston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLviDKFgkJc

ltbewr

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:18 am

In 1977, at a concert for the rock group 'The Who' In Cincinnati, OH, 11 people died rushing the doors of the concert site. It led to an end of 'general seating' at most concerts in the USA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_c ... 1%20people.
This is likely the most deadly concert event involving the crowd not from a fire. Sadly like in to much of society today, we are seeing bad behavior turned up to 11, selfishness, bad decisions that lead to such deadly situations.

CarlosSi

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:40 am

Sounds to me like lack of common sense and a mass of stupid people thinking it’s ok to sandwich the crowd in front of you and get super close.

Almost hive mind like… Rest In Peace.

B777LRF

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:41 am

9 people were killed when Pearl Jam performed at the Roskilde Festival in 2000, seemingly for exactly the same reason. Following that tragedy, the Roskilde Festival installed "breakers" at regular intervals, preventing a surge of crowd from behind pushing the people in front to the point where survival is in jeopardy. They also introduced a sealed area immediately in front of the stage, and are very strict with controlling how many people are allowed into that area.

So it's nothing new, it's nothing unique to rap music, it's nothing unique to Gen-Z, and it's nothing unique to the US.

Kno

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm reading one entrance was rushed so there may have been more people that tickets sold, and some people with high adrenaline and no care for what would happen since they didn't fork the price of a ticket...

I've been to plenty of festivals, but always rock ones. There are often rap/hip-hop acts but the crowd is clearly not made of fans of such music only, or people coming for these musicians alone are in the minority.

Last festival I went to there was Post Malone, I had never heard of him, I see he was at the inaugural Astroworld festival. Another year I saw Cypress Hill.

I had never heard of a mainly rap/hop-hop festival, I guess now I have...

Elkadad313 wrote:
The crowd didn’t care about anyone except themselves. The self-adulation and narcissism was beyond anything seen before. The so-called "music" of our times seems to reflect the current state of society. Not real music but noise filled with expletives and hate for women and cops. Horrible.

Incidents where several people die by way of drugs and/or trampling at music festivals have been happening for generous across many genres of music. Several examples have already been posted in this thread.

Misogyny has always been prevalent in popular music, I’m not a fan of it but it’s really nothing new. At least the days of creepy chart topping singles from the 50s/60s/70s/80s that openly advocated adult relationships with underaged children are a thing of the past.

Rebelling against social injustice has a place in music as well. A lot of our greatest rock artists were regarded as draft dodging commies who hated America. Old folks back then who weren’t listening said it was just noise and hate speech. Ironically many who enjoyed the rebellious music of their day are shaking their wrinkled fists at the sky about today’s rebellious music.

Regarding hip hop specifically you really can’t color hip-hop fans with one brush. This particular festival most appeals to young suburban kids who aren’t heavily invested in hip-hop and are more interested in rebellious pop music, trap music, and experimental uses of today’s trendy sounds.

Hip hop is a very diverse genre and has been for many decades at this point - one could say Van Morrison and Metallica are both rock but obviously the music and concert experience are going to be completely different.

Point being this isn’t a hip hop or today’s youth issue. It’s very sad and unfortunate that life was lost and people were injured.

M564038

Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Having worked with large concerts and festivals, I know these kinds of crowds take on a life of its own. There can be areas of pressure where it builds up so that you lose complete control over your own body in the mass of people in the most mundane of cirmcumstance, at other events there can be more people, tighter together with way more energy -positive or negative- and it’ll be no problem at all.

A lot was learned in Roskilde and Germany(2010(?)) on how to avoid these pressure areas, and also on how to fast expand perimeters to provide space.
Having toured extensively and worked hundreds of festivals, I know that these questions are almost always taken very seriously regardless of geography. The companies working such events are large multi-national rental companies with huge amounts of experience and very strict SOPs.

There is a couple of things here I react strongly to:

WTF was that emergency vehicle doing in the crowd, with music and lights still going and the artist on stage and a packed audience??
A vehicle in the crowd? It is beyond comprehension.

There is always a Stage Manager and a FOH-responsible that can turn an event from a show into a calming exit-situation in seconds, with proper instructions from an actual grown up from stage at the same time ad perimeters is removed to provide exits in all directions except a bordered off emergency response corridor and artist exit at the back of the stage.

It goes like this, and it takes mere seconds:
-area security alarms the stage manager.
-stage manager goes on intercom with monitor-land and FOH.
-Monitor engineer switches off stage monitors and removes backline power. The stage goes silent, the artist is led off stage.
-Music OFF in the PA, FOH festival systems engineer closes the sound from artist console, and opens up the emergency talk mic from stage. Show lights are switched to working lights. White. No colors.
-As stage manager enters the stage to communicate with the crowd, perimeters are lifted.

Emergency personell have free access from backstage, and should be entering the crowd as this point.

This takes seconds. I have done this sort of thing with fire alarms in venues and suspected fires in outdoor festivals many(ish) times.
It is super efficient, no drama. The drill has been known for years and years. I was doing this mostly in the early 2000s, and it was very established already 20 years ago.

I know this is taken super seriously among my US collegaues as well, and it is hard to imagine what could have gone wrong seeing such lack of professionalism and inept organization at a big event like this.

I know it has nothing to do with generation this or that or genre or whatever.
Yes. Hip-Hop is never a favourite at smaller venues. The fanbase is more violent and drug abusing than other genres, but that isn’t that much of a factor with events such as this.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:53 pm

It was reported in the 2019 Astroworld festival 3 people were taken to the hospital after being trampled when they open the gates. You would think after that incident, they would have been better prepared. Heads should roll, there is no excuse to jam people into a small space for profit. Looks like they created a VIP area, to make more money, but in doing that, it caused the deaths of these 8 people since they were crushed against the vip area. What? did fans want to see who was in the VIP area?

https://abc13.com/astroworld-2019-injur ... n/5686133/

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm

I learned long ago that nothing good happens in large gatherings of pumped kids or adults posing as kids.

M564038

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:56 pm

An awful lot of good happens in those situations! Some of the nicest things in life! Man! Talk about ignorance!

Wikipedia describes pretty well what actually goes wrong when it does go wrong:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede#Crushes

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I learned long ago that nothing good happens in large gatherings of pumped kids or adults posing as kids.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:01 pm

M564038 wrote:
An awful lot of good happens in those situations! Some of the nicest things in life! Man! Talk about ignorance!

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Why the assumption someone with different tastes, experiences, learning is ignorant? I’d say that attitude is one of ignorance. I’m fine with people, extroverted, but I know danger when I see it and large crowds are likely danger and, perhaps, good. If the possible outcome is catastrophic, odds go out the window and I stay away.

From your link,

A density of four people per square meter begins to be dangerous, even if the crowd is not very large.

Much does depend on the crowd—Tanglewood hasn’t had a stampede in its history and far better music.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M564038

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:19 pm

Haha! I can see that one hit home!
Anyway, safetywise, it is still safer than flying.
There are hosts of experiences in culture, arts, religion, sports, politics and general civic life that can only be had in large crowds.
To say it spells danger IS ignorant and staristically wrong.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
M564038 wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Why the assumption someone with different tastes, experiences, learning is ignorant? I’d say that attitude is one of ignorance. I’m fine with people, extroverted, but I know danger when I see it and large crowds are likely danger and, perhaps, good. If the possible outcome is catastrophic, odds go out the window and I stay away.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:21 pm

M564038 wrote:
There are hosts of experiences in culture, arts, religion, sports, politics and general civic life that can only be had in large crowds.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Doubling down doesn’t make your case any stronger. I’m done.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 317043001/

M564038

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Yes, I am sure of that;-)
There have been crushes, most of them around religious serimonies, but per person attending, it is safer than flying.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
M564038 wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Doubling down doesn’t make your case any stronger. I’m done.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 317043001/

Newark727

Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:49 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:

...and furthermore, get off my lawn!

FGITD

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:01 pm

B777LRF wrote:
So it's nothing new, it's nothing unique to rap music, it's nothing unique to Gen-Z, and it's nothing unique to the US.

Glad you said it. Much of this thread reads like “it’s those damn kids and their new devil music!”

I guess The Who should be held liable too. 11 dead in a crush at one of their concerts in 1979.

And Guns N’Roses in 1988

And AC/DC in 1991

What’s most incredible to me is how many crushes/stampedes are during religious ceremonies or pilgrimage. And the numbers are baffling. 100s dead and so on

luckyone

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:42 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
It may have been murder - there are confirmed reports that somebody was randomly “stabbing” concertgoers with a drug needle. At least one person was caught on video foaming at the mouth before collapsing.

I’m not in any position to comment on whether somebody may or may not have been injecting people. However, somebody having a bad trip at a festival is not an uncommon event. When I was a resident in Chicago, festival weekends (particularly Lolla) would see the type of event you described with regularity.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:55 am

For those that want to review the concert footage, here is entire Travis Scott show:

https://youtu.be/kjD2tDEqWTk

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:43 am

B777LRF wrote:

This 100%

B777LRF

Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:24 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
For those that want to review the concert footage, here is entire Travis Scott show:

https://youtu.be/kjD2tDEqWTk

Thanks, but I'd rather walk barefoot on broken glass than listen to that shyte.

casinterest

Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:51 pm

It would seem the Production company, Travis Scott, and the Facility Security are going to have a lot to answer for,

https://www.khou.com/article/news/natio ... 6eebc99dfe

"People in the crowd reported lots of pushing and shoving during the performances leading up to Scott’s set — which is normal at his shows. He’s often encouraged fans to bypass security and rush the stage, but none of those previous situations resulted in fatalities.

“Travis Scott’s whole aesthetic is about rebellion,” said HipHopDX editor-in-chief Trent Clark, who has attended several of his performances. “The shows have a lot of raging. With the death of punk rock, hip-hop has indeed adopted and patterned the new generation of mosh pits. It’s not uncommon to see a lot of crowding and raging or complete wild behavior at a Travis Scott show.”

I have been to shows with Mosh Pits, crowd surfing, and people pushing, but Security always had an eye on the traffic in and out. You don't overcrowd the sold ticket areas for this very reason. If Scott has encouraged this behavior in the past, then he should be liable, but the Security teams should have known better.

NIKV69

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
It would seem the Production company, Travis Scott, and the Facility Security are going to have a lot to answer for,

"People in the crowd reported lots of pushing and shoving during the performances leading up to Scott’s set — which is normal at his shows. He’s often encouraged fans to bypass security and rush the stage, but none of those previous situations resulted in fatalities.

“Travis Scott’s whole aesthetic is about rebellion,” said HipHopDX editor-in-chief Trent Clark, who has attended several of his performances. “The shows have a lot of raging. With the death of punk rock, hip-hop has indeed adopted and patterned the new generation of mosh pits. It’s not uncommon to see a lot of crowding and raging or complete wild behavior at a Travis Scott show.”

I have been to shows with Mosh Pits, crowd surfing, and people pushing, but Security always had an eye on the traffic in and out. You don't overcrowd the sold ticket areas for this very reason. If Scott has encouraged this behavior in the past, then he should be liable, but the Security teams should have known better.

Hope he has a good lawyer. Crowd is telling you to stop the show? You don't?

casinterest

Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:10 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Unknown what he was seeing, but i have seen performers stop a show for a phone call in the crowd. However you would think security would have been on top of the crowd issue, especially with one of their own caught up in it.

This is going to be an understaffed issues mostly.

GDB

Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:

Ever heard of the Station Nightclub Fire in Rhode Island, early 2003? I’m guessing not.
100 people killed when pyros caused a fire and stampede in a crowded venue.
The band? Some old outfit, or latest version of it, called Great White, purveyors of largely unsuccessful traditional rock music for decades, not sure and I could not care if their songs contain any lyrics that so vex you and cause a frankly bonkers leap by you from the circumstances of this tragic event in Houston, to the music and composition of the crowd. I will confess about being unaware of this artists content either though reports suggest a generally younger audience making your evidence free assertions unlikely.
Sorry it wasn’t NWA playing ‘Straight Outta Compton’, you might want to look up the 2003 Station Nightclub fire and maybe think again.

M564038

Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:39 pm

Just a tidbit of fact:
You can not hear what certain areas of the audience is shouting when you stand in front of 50,000 people.
The artist doesn’t posses the OFF button either.
This is why you have security and various grown ups with radios in charge.

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

DIRECTFLT

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:57 am

Report from ABC 13 Houston - Travis Scott promises Astroworld Festival attendees full refunds

Video includes footage of fans being in the crush near the front of the stage.

https://youtu.be/JXnYUWvlAbo

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:29 am

Yes, the Station club fire, another case of nothing good happens in large, pumped up crowds. So-so band, drinking and disaster. A friend is licensed to do pyro at shows, he agrees to that, it’s a job he mostly hates.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:51 pm

There is no doubt there will be huge lawsuits brought against the top performers, the concert management company, the site operators and owners, all their insurers by those who had family members who were killed and by those seriously injured. Insurance for such events will see a rise in premiums and demands for better crowd control procedures to get coverage. Already some planned events are being cancelled or acts withdrawing our of fear of civil and possible criminal liability.

casinterest

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Yes, the Station club fire, another case of nothing good happens in large, pumped up crowds. So-so band, drinking and disaster. A friend is licensed to do pyro at shows, he agrees to that, it’s a job he mostly hates.

The crowd wasn't pumped up. They were enjoying the music at the station.
The station was a different story entirely and had more to do with the fact that the club had chain locked fire exits , lack of sprinkler system and illegal soundproofing material that was highly flammable. . This was beyond the ill advised use of pyrotechnic.,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stati ... tclub_fire

DIRECTFLT

Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Astroworld deaths spur calls for independent review

https://apnews.com/article/travis-scott ... 136ea98c93

Experts in crowd safety say an investigation by neutral outsiders into the tragedy during Friday night’s performance by rapper Travis Scott could help the city avoid potential conflicts of interest and promote transparency. Houston Police Department spokeswoman Jodi Silva declined to comment on whether the department’s close involvement in the event created a conflict or if it was considering handing the probe off to an outside agency. Such decisions are often made in investigations like police shootings.

The police department’s probe would be separate from any independent investigation ordered by County Judge Lina Hidalgo, Harris County’s top elected official, according to Rafael Lemaitre, a spokesman for the county judge’s office. Hidalgo hasn’t decided who would conduct such an independent review or how it would be done, Lemaitre said Monday. “She wants to know if this could have been prevented in any way,” Lemaitre said. “It’s also entirely possible that it was not preventable for whatever reason, and that’s something we would like to know, as well.”

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:37 pm

What needs to happen now, is for Gayle King to step up and be allowed to interview Travis Scott, one-on-one, in a hotel room somewhere, so that he can have his tearful R. Kelly "Y'all are killing me!!" moment broadcast to the world.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:28 am

In wake of Astroworld tragedy, Texas creates new task force on concert safety

The state appears to have minimal oversight over events like the Astroworld concert. And some cities are more stringent than others.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/11/10 ... rt-safety/

“Once the permit is given, all responsibilities are passed” to the event runners, said Benny Agosto, a lawyer representing two adults and two minors who said they were trampled at the concert and have sued Travis Scott; Scott’s record label, Cactus Jack; and concert promoter ScoreMore.

When it comes to large promoters like Live Nation, officials who grant permits often trust that the companies know what they’re doing, said Steve Allen, a U.K.-based event security consultant with the firm Crowd Safety — though hundreds of people have died or been injured at Live Nation events in the past, according to the Houston Chronicle.

:point: Live Nation is a publicly traded company and answers to stock holders.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:05 am

I thought it was a meme when I first saw it, but why would McDonald's Corp. link up with gutter-mouthed Travis Scott for a "Travis Scott Meal" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYATyMUM0RI

maverick4002

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:28 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I thought it was a meme when I first saw it, but why would McDonald's Corp. link up with gutter-mouthed Travis Scott for a "Travis Scott Meal" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYATyMUM0RI

Apparently his target audience is really young up to tweens (early 20s?) folks. So this is right in line with it.

The 10th victim passed over night, and he was the 9 year old on his dads shoulders. That seems to be Travis' demographic

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:22 am

Harris County will not be conducting independent third-party investigation into Astroworld Fest

https://www.khou.com/article/news/speci ... 092e03a6fd

After nearly two hours of discussion in an executive session on Monday, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said she didn’t get the three votes she needed for her proposal. Instead, Harris County Administrator David Berry will be doing his own review.

"I still think that we should do more. ... The responsible thing is to take a big-picture look at all the things that happened," Hidalgo said. "I pushed as hard as I could. That’s why we were in there for so long and made every argument under the sun and this is what we came out with."

San Antonio attorney Thomas J. Henry says he's representing nearly 300 people in a massive $2 billion lawsuit following the Astroworld tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzXbjN1F7o