Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Menopause, need some help

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:02 pm

My best friends wife has started and he is not best equipped to deal with as a guy. He says that the moods swings are bad and not sure what to do. He is looking for
help but understands little about the problem. Any suggestions welcome.

SL1200MK2

Re: Menopause, need some help

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:16 pm

Perhaps they can ask their doctor or maybe try out google?

Aaron747

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:51 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
My best friends wife has started and he is not best equipped to deal with as a guy. He says that the moods swings are bad and not sure what to do. He is looking for

Joint counseling would be great - that way both he and she can understand what the other is experiencing.

stl07

Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:43 am

One thing that everyman man needs to realize is that his happiness should not be controlled by that of his wife or gf, no matter the age.

Natflyer

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:16 am

readytotaxi wrote:

Asking for a friend eh? :?

Natflyer

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:18 am

stl07 wrote:
One thing that everyman man needs to realize is that his happiness should not be controlled by that of his wife or gf, no matter the age.

Yeah, good luck with that…

Aaron747

Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:22 am

stl07 wrote:

That requires a level of compartmentalization not all are capable of, regardless of gender.

stl07

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:42 am

Natflyer wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that…

The day I learned that, my life improved in ways I never thought it could

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:46 am

Natflyer wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Asking for a friend eh? :?

Yep, I am one of those who joined a Library rather than buy the book.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:48 am

Aaron747 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Joint counseling would be great - that way both he and she can understand what the other is experiencing.

I think that would be good for them, will suggest that.

flipdewaf

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:54 am

Neither your friend or his wife are the cause of what is happening but both are affected. I would say the way to cope is first to be open and honest to one another about what is/will/could happen.

Having gone through some serious postnatal depression with my wife some years ago (now fully managed). There are some things I learned including:
Don’t try to deal with a situation in the heat of the moment, it’s tempting to logic it put with someone. If logic worked for that person in that moment they wouldn’t be there. It’s much more difficult, especially if you don’t like confrontation, but more affective to broach the subject when things have dies down. Again an open and honest conversation.

Understand the threats, both long term to yours and your families health and the threats that may trigger issues.

Speak to a professional, but together.

If she feels vulnerable, even if in that moment you hate her, remember you love her and comfort her.

Speak to your employer. Let them know what is happening and that things may require immediate attention or you may need support.

I recently started feeling signs of depression and in particular anger and frustration, I spoke to my work and they helped me and I have enrolled in a mindfulness class and it appears to be working wonders for both my mood and my productivity!

In essence: speak to people about it, the most important being the significant other.

Fred

avier

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm

He can maybe ask her to go to her parents place, till she's done with it. Might take years I know.
Or he can look to spend time away from home, travelling or visiting his parents place, anything to keep away from that.

Tugger

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:33 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Paging DocLighting! Paging DocLighting!

"Not best equipped to deal with as a guy" has little to do with it as no, as a guy he does not experience it directly but he is fully there with his wife as she experiences it. Is the issue that he is "a guy's guy" one who can't handle or accept female issues? Someone who can't (couldn't - past tense now really) buy his wife pads or tampons when needed? That is a separate problem if that is the case and he just needs some counseling to get over it, learn how to handle his fear and phobia.

Otherwise he can only really be supportive and encourage her to go see her doctor if the mood swings are too much. It is not easy and it does depend on the woman and she must be willing to hear that something needs to be addressed. It is mostly all on his wife really.

There are lots of options available to women, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) being the most common. Medication (separately from hormones), therapy, groups consisting of other women going through the same thing, there are options that she can seek and will help her and their relationship.

If SHE is not able or willing to get professional assistance, or even hear there is a problem that is affecting the relationship and marriage, then that is a big problem. Counseling can help him possibly deal with the situation but it can't solve the problem of a partner unwilling to care for themselves or their affect on those close to them. A last option might be just letting her be and spending more time apart, him going out and finding fun things to do to keep him whole during this etc. But I don't think it is a great solution as menopause can last many years so they may just drift apart.

Tugg

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 am

readytotaxi wrote:

Step one: Be sure to gain the counsel of a bunch of airplane nerds. If we do not know how to fix this, surely no one does.

stl07 wrote:

:checkmark:

Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away...

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

That requires a level of compartmentalization not all are capable of, regardless of gender.

That was always easy for me, as I am severely emotionally lazy. But I also feel that that is a habit that can be built without too much fuss.

wingman

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:18 am

Tell your friend to check out Diego’s Doctor Visit on You Tube. First off, he’s not alone in the travails of dealing with his wife and one can always take comfort knowing that others share in the pain. Diego has his own way of managing a stressful relationship and I’ve adopted many of his strategies with excellent results. Well worth the time.

cskok8

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:16 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Step one: Be sure to gain the counsel of a bunch of airplane nerds. If we do not know how to fix this, surely no one does.

A D-check should sort her out

fr8mech

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:10 am

25 years of marriage have taught me one thing, unless a woman asks you, explicitly to fix something or provide advice, all she wants is somebody to vent to...someone to listen to her and support her.

Until her body's chemistry establishes the new normal, your buddy needs to be patient and be there...except when she doesn't want him there.

I assume there is a certain percentage of women who truly need medical/psychological support to get through this time. That's something your buddy's wife needs to decide for herself, with help from her doctor and the support of your buddy.

Redd

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am

Had this conversation with a few women who've gone through it in my running group, they said physical exercise, especially intense cardio made menopause very light for them. Without getting into too much detail.

But good luck telling a woman who's going through strong menopausal symptoms to lace up her running shoes and go for a run, if it's not something she does already. I wouldn't want to be that husband.

meecrob

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm

stl07 wrote:

This is the exact wrong advice. The wife in this scenario is going through a point in her life where she needs support.

It sounds like you initially placed undue importance on what women think of you, and figured out that was the wrong path later on. Well most of us never went down that path, so its weird to hear you say, as advice, basically "screw her, make yourself happy." That is exactly how you end up old and alone. The real advice here is give her the support she needs, and once her hormones calm down, she will be thankful you weren't a jerk and probably reward you. Like I get the guy in this scenario is probably similar to Hank Hill in that he is not at all comfortable dealing with these emotions, but really what are you gonna do? Divorce? Let's just rip down a marriage cuz she is bitchy and he is awkward for a brief period of time? Everyone suggesting counselling I think is on the right path. It will probably take some convincing of the guy to attend, but tell him that the counsellor will fill in when it gets awkward so he doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting himself. Its not gonna be a walk in the park, but it will be over soon enough.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:47 pm

meecrob wrote:
Let's just rip down a marriage cuz she is bitchy and he is awkward for a brief period of time? ... Its not gonna be a walk in the park, but it will be over soon enough.

Why do you suppose it would be a brief period of time? More often than not, those changes are permanent.

But even if it were only brief, if they are severe enough, yes those mood swings would absolutely be a good cause for divorce. These things are not excused for brevity or externals. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how acceptable that would be. I would wager not very.

Tugger

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
meecrob wrote:
Let's just rip down a marriage cuz she is bitchy and he is awkward for a brief period of time? ... Its not gonna be a walk in the park, but it will be over soon enough.

Why do you suppose it would be a brief period of time? More often than not, those changes are permanent.

But even if it were only brief, if they are severe enough, yes those mood swings would absolutely be a good cause for divorce. These things are not excused for brevity or externals. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how acceptable that would be. I would wager not very.

Curious why you think menopausal mood swings would be permanent?

And there are TONS of "good reasons for divorce" in any marriage. The whole thing about marriage is you are swearing to put up with someone, tie yourself and your life to your spouse. It is a choice. Otherwise just don't get married. They say "space is hard" marriage is just as hard if not more so.

As to the shoes on the other foot? My wife puts up with TONS on my crap. Has for decades... and I hers. And strangely we are still happily married. (I even made it through menopause!)

Tugg

scbriml

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:57 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

It never fails. Is it a write-off?

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Just curious, but how many women have you partnered through menopause?

meecrob

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:33 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
meecrob wrote:

This is a woman with feelings, who presumably has done right by this guy their whole relationship. You sound like the kind of guy who would ditch a woman if she got a spinal injury or something. "Eh, she's crampin' my style!" That's not what love is, man. So lets say menopause changes her personality. What is this guy gonna do? Hit the singles bars? Just to find ANOTHER woman who is going through menopause? All you macho "I don't let women dictate my life" people never have an answer after "just ditch her".

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:58 am

meecrob wrote:
You sound like the kind of guy who would ditch a woman if she got a spinal injury or something.

I sound like that sort of guy because I am that kind of guy.

But I also the sort who would ditch a woman if I got a spinal injury too. That is not the me I was when we met, and she did not sign up for that.

meecrob wrote:
What is this guy gonna do? Hit the singles bars? Just to find ANOTHER woman who is going through menopause?

Why would he have to do that? When I got divorced, I replaced my wife with nothing at all. Being single for extended periods is nothing to be afraid of, especially if it is the decision you made.

meecrob wrote:
All you macho "I don't let women dictate my life" people never have an answer after "just ditch her".

That has nothing to do with being single. I also do not let women tell what to do when I am in a ... situation. And conversely, I do not tell them how to do things either.

I do not see how it is when someone changes to the point of being a fundamentally different person their partner is somehow obligated to stick around. If they want to? Sure. But they should never face any pressure to do so.

scbriml wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

It never fails. Is it a write-off?

For sure. Or at least a 120 day deferral. One of those, no doubt...

scbriml wrote:
Just curious, but how many women have you partnered through menopause?

As few as possible! But I have known a bunch. It does not change everybody, but it seems to happen enough to validate caution. YMMV...

Tugger wrote:
Curious why you think menopausal mood swings would be permanent?

They are not always. But I have seen enough to believe that it is more common than not.

Tugger wrote:
And there are TONS of "good reasons for divorce" in any marriage.

And how! The more closely one examines what a marriage is, the more obvious it becomes that it is really not for everyone. Not even for most people I would wager.

Tugger wrote:
The whole thing about marriage is you are swearing to put up with someone, tie yourself and your life to your spouse. It is a choice. Otherwise just don't get married. They say "space is hard" marriage is just as hard if not more so.

Yeah. I am a fan of doing it right if you are going to do anything at all. I just think marriage asks a lot more out of people than is reasonable, considering the advantages are not dramatic when juxtaposed with being single, or in my case, a free agent.

Newark727

Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:28 am

cskok8 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

A D-check should sort her out

There's a joke about hours and cycles in here somewhere that I'm too scared to make.

seb146

Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:56 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Perhaps they can ask their doctor or maybe try out google?

Because nothing bad ever happened googling your symptoms....

I only ever knew my mom going through menopause. All I ever did is treat her as a person. I always thought before I opened my mouth. Sometimes, I did not say anything. I helped a little more. I feel this made me a better person. Sympathy. Empathy.

Luckily, my mom was a nurse and many in the family are in health care, so I took cues from them, but still....

usflyer msp

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Put the menopause song on repeat and she will either go crazy or calm down - won't be sure until it actually occurs.

https://youtu.be/34QVPwRLRKU

meecrob

Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:08 pm

[quote="DarkSnowyNight"[/quote]
Ok, look I think I get what you mean, I wanna say I am not judging your way of life. I just did not pick up on anything in the OP that screamed "She is crazy, get the fuck out!" Menopause is something I have not dealt with, but its supposed to be a kind of "super period." Every time I've put up with a woman's shitty hormones, you get something back, cuz they know they have been shitty. Guys do it too, I'm sure. Obviously there is a question of "where do you draw the line?" and I think if this dude has had a decent marriage up to this point, its worth at least fucking trying to see if she calms down. He can always bail later...

Edit: Also you said that the hormones are permanent...yes...the ones after menopause are permanent. The ones during menopause are something different. Or do you think every married male over 65 is a total bitch...wait no, you probably think that.

11C

Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:33 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

stl07 wrote:

:checkmark:

Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away...

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

That was always easy for me, as I am severely emotionally lazy. But I also feel that that is a habit that can be built without too much fuss.

This is the best advice, thus far…
Now, can we cue up the guy with five job offers who wants a.net to tell him which job to accept?