Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Fossilized sea creatures under Iowa. (Yes. Iowa.)

Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:46 am

With the fall foliage peaking in Minnesota this past week, I drove down U.S. Highway 61 along the western shore of Lake Pepin and y9n Mississippi River, to Highway 14 along the eastern shore, to Wisconsin 82 into Lansing, Iowa (obviously).

The trip back to the Twin Cities took me through the Winneshiek County seat, Decorah, which seems to have recovered nicely from the meteorite that smashed the hell into it nearly half a billion years ago (nice going).

See, according to the linked article, "an ancient seaway sluiced into the crater" and even though I'm not sure how one goes about "sluicing," that's how the marine fauna ended up in that most unlikely, mid-continental of destinations.

(Maybe the next season of La Brea will be about the monsters coming back to life and devouring... the corn crop or something.)

frmrCapCadet

Re: Fossilized sea creatures under Iowa. (Yes. Iowa.)

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Roughly speaking, in those days of yore, between the Rockies (or their predecessor) and the Appalachian lay a vast shallow inland sea which we now call the great Prairies of the US.

flipdewaf

Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:29 am

Wow! It’s hard to believe all this happened in just 6000 years!

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron747

Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:10 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Wow! It’s hard to believe all this happened in just 6000 years!

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What they'll be saying in a few hundred years after the Yellowstone supervolcano goes :D

seb146

Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:09 pm

The Badlands of South Dakota have sea fossils, IIRC. Also, the Chalk Pyramids of western Kansas are the remains of sea creatures of long ago. It is all very interesting. From time to time, they find tropical and subtropical fossils in Oregon and Washington. The theory is that the climate was much different, so the Pacific Northwest was more tropical. I wonder what, if any, fossils are under the Alaska tundra?

frmrCapCadet

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Any Washington tropical fossils would have to have been part of microplates (terrines) which traveled across an ocean and eventually collided with the original North American plate

speedygonzales

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:27 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Roughly speaking, in those days of yore, between the Rockies (or their predecessor) and the Appalachian lay a vast shallow inland sea which we now call the great Prairies of the US.

Yes, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway

seb146

Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:30 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Any Washington tropical fossils would have to have been part of microplates (terrines) which traveled across an ocean and eventually collided with the original North American plate

Yes, which would explain the foothills of the Rockies, the Okanogan, Wallowas, Greenhorns, Blues, Warner, Steens, Hart mountain areas across PNW. They were all formed differently than the Cascades, which is the result of subduction. That is how I understand it.