Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nwadeicer
Topic Author

RIP Winter the dolphin

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 am

A great dolphin, our family loved visiting the Clearwater Marine Aquarium http://www.cmaquarium.org every year. They do so much for marine creatures.

wingman

Re: RIP Winter the dolphin

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Nothing shows more love and respect to a fellow sentient mammal than locking them up in a fish bowl right next to the open ocean. WTH!? They’re right there off the beach in their natural habitat! I guarantee that depression was at least one cause of death.

Kiwiandrew

Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:57 pm

Free at last.

Such a shame that in the 21st century we are still holding dolphins in captivity. I'm sure future generations will look back in disgust at such abuse disguised as science.

nwadeicer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:19 pm

You do realize the Clearwater Aquarium is a rescue, rehabilitation and release facility. Winter the dolphin was missing her tail and would not have survived in the wild.

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:45 am

wingman wrote:
Nothing shows more love and respect to a fellow sentient mammal than locking them up in a fish bowl right next to the open ocean. WTH!? They’re right there off the beach in their natural habitat! I guarantee that depression was at least one cause of death.

Do some research on Winter. In her state, she would have never been able to survive in the wild. At the same time, do some research on what the Clearwater facility does. I don't mean any disrespect but your post shows complete ignorance. She did not die of depression. She died from Gastro....something... she has been sick for awhile.

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Aquariums and zoos should be banned, IMO. Animals need real Social Justice.

Tugger

Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:04 pm

I love zoo's and sea-life parks. They are important tool's to engage the public and bring a love and fascination with the wildlife of our planet. Yes there are many bad examples out there but there are also decent ones and the visits to them allow people and kids to connect and witness the beauty and incredible nature of these animals. And be honest, we need humans to care about the animals of the world, cuz' when people don't care or value things, or feel no connection to something, then terrible things can happen.

I know it is not a popular opinion anymore, but I know these parks produce more good then bad. Yes, of course the animals of the world deserve to be treated well while in these places but the benefit outweighs the harms. For better or worse it is important for all wildlife.

Tugg

FGITD

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 am

There’s a line to draw.

Those little penguins, flapping around, interacting and eating fish all day without a care in the world? Great for aquariums. The orca that is supposed to have thousands of miles of open ocean, but instead lives in a pool the size of a bus and does shows? Not so good.

I do believe that they can do great work and be inspirational, but they need to stop using the animals as a “show” and there needs to be limits on what kind of animals are there

nwadeicer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:14 am

Dieuwer wrote:

I swear, do you people even read up on whats been posted? Do you even click on the links provided to look? For the last time, heh right... The Clearwater aquarium is a RESCUE, REHABILITATION and RELEASE facility. Their sole purpose is to take in injured marine life and rehabilitate them and release them back into the wild if possible. If not, like winter the dolphin who was missing her tail, she is kept at the aquarium as she would not survive in the wild. C'mon people, I know it's hard for you, but do a little reading before responding....

johns624

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I swear, do you people even read up on whats been posted? Do you even click on the links provided to look? For the last time, heh right... The Clearwater aquarium is a RESCUE, REHABILITATION and RELEASE facility. Their sole purpose is to take in injured marine life and rehabilitate them and release them back into the wild if possible. If not, like winter the dolphin who was missing her tail, she is kept at the aquarium as she would not survive in the wild. C'mon people, I know it's hard for you, but do a little reading before responding....
Emotion is so much more important than facts...(sarcasm)