Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSNDreaming
Topic Author

Princess Mako, Komuri Kei leaving Tokyo Haneda

Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:40 pm

I was a bit surprised to see Princess Mako (former Princess?) and Mr. Komuri Kei leaving Haneda earlier today from the passenger terminal (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59280707). This created multiple questions in my mind:

First, there appear to be a number of body guards around the couple in Haneda, are they the royal family body guards or private security? They seem to all be wearing small pins but I do not recognize any symbol on the pins.

Second, why didn’t they have a car take them to the plane? It would seem less complicated and intrusive. It appeared that they went through the main terminal, walking by many other passengers (who seemed eager for photos).

Third, why was there such a large crowd of photographers at the gate? I could see a group of photographers on the land side of security, but it seems odd that they wanted a picture at the gate itself (again, potentially causing more complications).

Fourth, did the couple travel alone, or did some body guards accompany them on the plane? I assume they were in first class, does anyone know if there were other passengers in their cabin?

Here are a bunch more pictures, looks like they can play pool at their new place (https://pakkikhabar.in/princess-mako-and-husband-kei-komuro-jet-out-of-tokyo-as-they-begin-married-life-in-new-york/).

Thanks in advance!

Mortyman

Re: Princess Mako, Komuri Kei leaving Tokyo Haneda

Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Strictly speaking she is not a royal anymore, but I guess the family / Japanese government still provides her with some security or perhaps she pays for it herself ? As a non princess, maybe she is no eligable for a car direct to the aircraft. Just because she has left the imperial house, does not mean that the press won't be interested in her. The press will most likely be even more interested in her now and not leave her alone. I'm sure security followed her to the US and will stay with her. I am guessing she was most likely not alone in the cabin / aircraft. Most likely there were several rowns left empty for her bodyguards. Not all royals, former or active or former, have their own aircraft. but travel commercially.

M564038

Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Photographers wanted to cover her moving to New York, the rumors has been covered worldwide.
Royals traveling «normally» by plane is no unusual sight. I once, when I was 9-ish, got seated next to Thai princess Sirindhorn on a SAS domestic flight with my little «travelling alone»-sign. I know our local royals travel comercially almost always, and our prime minister you’ll usually find in Y.
So I guess ex-royals using their own feet onto a plane isn’t really that remarkable.

Aaron747

Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:18 am

My understanding is she got some parting cash from the royal family and probably has stashed savings of her own from family birthday gifts over the years. Middle class Japanese children often receive hundreds of dollars each birthday so for a royal this might have been tens of thousands of dollars per life event. They could afford to hire private security either way.

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:38 am

Aaron747 wrote:
My understanding is she got some parting cash from the royal family and probably has stashed savings of her own from family birthday gifts over the years. Middle class Japanese children often receive hundreds of dollars each birthday so for a royal this might have been tens of thousands of dollars per life event. They could afford to hire private security either way.

She declined the payment.

Mako earlier declined a 140 million yen (roughly $1.5 million Cdn) payment to which she was entitled for leaving the imperial family, palace officials said. She is the first imperial family member since the Second World War to not receive the payment and chose to do so because of criticism of the marriage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-pri ... -1.6225143

Aaron747

Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:56 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Mako earlier declined a 140 million yen (roughly $1.5 million Cdn) payment to which she was entitled for leaving the imperial family, palace officials said. She is the first imperial family member since the Second World War to not receive the payment and chose to do so because of criticism of the marriage.

Even if so her net worth is supposedly between $4-$5 million so she's fine.

par13del

Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:12 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The payment for leaving, but if true that over the years she received financial gifts, I suspect she may have kept a number and possible donated some, so financially, she should be fine. Unfortunately, they are going to live in a high cost city / region, so either they will have to find something to do to bring in additional funds, or will be under financial pressure in a few years.

ThePointblank

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 am

Mako Momuro was a researcher at the University of Tokyo museum, and her new husband is a paralegal at a large New York law firm. I suspect she'll be able to find a job at an American museum or even a university fairly quickly, considering her background and interests.