Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
skyservice_330
Topic Author
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:44 pm

"Oh, no. Wait. Hold on now..."

The above is a quote from MTG's cringeworthy testimony about her alleged role in the events of Jan. 6. She was caught out with evidence and sheepishly uttered "Oh, no. Wait. Hold on now..." Nearly every answer provided was 'I don't recall,' 'I don't remember' or 'I don't know' - even when presented with quotes, social media posts, or other evidence.

Why cringeworthy? Well, Perjury Taylor Greene (as Jimmy K. has affectionately named her) either had the most awesome case of selective amnesia, or she was flat out lying. Under both scenarios she was exposed as a performative politician that will cowardly buckle when confronted with their inflammatory language laid bare in a court of law. Absent cheering sycophant's in the echo chamber where she gets her validation, PTG could not muster any ability to offer a principled defense of her views, opinions or statements. Color me surprised...
 
wingman
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:58 pm

And it's not just her, it's everyone that's captured in the release acknowledging on January 6th that the capitol was being stormed by a violent mob bent on death and insurrection (as if we all needed this after the world saw it with its own eyeballs on television) and only Trump had the power to stop it. Yet in the weeks and months that followed all of these same people claimed it was just a picnic by some God-fearing Christians hijacked by Antifa disguised as Trump bots to destroy his legacy. Nope, all of them caught out in the most monumental and consequential lie so far of 21st Century 'Murica.

Clock is ticking - we have 6-7 more months before a Republican congress buries this investigation forever. The good news is that for our children and theirs the historical fate is now sealed. The GOP has now transcended simple repugnance into something wholly more sinister. Let the record show it for eternity.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4404
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:01 pm

wingman wrote:
And it's not just her, it's everyone that's captured in the release acknowledging on January 6th that the capitol was being stormed by a violent mob bent on death and insurrection (as if we all needed this after the world saw it with its own eyeballs on television) and only Trump had the power to stop it. Yet in the weeks and months that followed all of these same people claimed it was just a picnic by some God-fearing Christians hijacked by Antifa disguised as Trump bots to destroy his legacy. Nope, all of them caught out in the most monumental and consequential lie so far of 21st Century 'Murica.

Clock is ticking - we have 6-7 more months before a Republican congress buries this investigation forever. The good news is that for our children and theirs the historical fate is now sealed. The GOP has now transcended simple repugnance into something wholly more sinister. Let the record show it for eternity.

MTG is one of those people who's scary because she's incapable of discerning between fantasy and reality -- by her own words she "allowed" herself to be convinced of things that weren't true regarding QAnon...how do we know her fervency regarding "The Big Lie" isn't similar? She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright. The trouble is, neither are a lot of voters.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 15035
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:28 pm

luckyone wrote:
MTG is one of those people who's scary because she's incapable of discerning between fantasy and reality -- by her own words she "allowed" herself to be convinced of things that weren't true regarding QAnon...how do we know her fervency regarding "The Big Lie" isn't similar? She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright. The trouble is, neither are a lot of voters.


Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.
 
wingman
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright. The trouble is, neither are a lot of voters.


Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.


NIK, I think you're a voter right? It's unfortunate you'd equate free healthcare and student debt forgiveness with declaring martial law to overturn an election. Luckyone said it best. On a positive note you're not alone, there's a whole bunch of like-minded folks out there just waiting to assemble for another Jan. 6.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 6212
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:28 pm

luckyone wrote:
She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright.


'Not actually that bright', with regards to MTG, has to be the strongest euphemism I've read outside of a Douglas Adams novel.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4492
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
MTG is one of those people who's scary because she's incapable of discerning between fantasy and reality -- by her own words she "allowed" herself to be convinced of things that weren't true regarding QAnon...how do we know her fervency regarding "The Big Lie" isn't similar? She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright. The trouble is, neither are a lot of voters.


Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.

Not the same at all - the ones you mention support a far left agenda. MTG and her ilk believe in preposterous, outrageous conspiracy theories and refuse to believe the indisputable truth that the 2020 election was legitimate and that their candidate lost. You posit a false equivalency
 
Newark727
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
MTG is one of those people who's scary because she's incapable of discerning between fantasy and reality -- by her own words she "allowed" herself to be convinced of things that weren't true regarding QAnon...how do we know her fervency regarding "The Big Lie" isn't similar? She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright. The trouble is, neither are a lot of voters.


Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.


Why I agree, advocating political positions left of center is just like plotting to overthrow the government and get Congress killed by a mob. You really have a false equivalence for everything, don't you?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:46 pm

Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:
She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright.


'Not actually that bright', with regards to MTG, has to be the strongest euphemism I've read outside of a Douglas Adams novel.



She's camera friendly in the same way a car wreck slows traffic. Horrible in many ways, but capable of people wondering , how in the ?
 
luckyone
Posts: 4404
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:13 pm

casinterest wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:
She's camera friendly and really good at getting attention, but she's not actually that bright.


'Not actually that bright', with regards to MTG, has to be the strongest euphemism I've read outside of a Douglas Adams novel.



She's camera friendly in the same way a car wreck slows traffic. Horrible in many ways, but capable of people wondering , how in the ?

A pretty rural, white district that doesn’t have the best reputation for education + a carpetbagger. Not a complicated formula.
 
skyservice_330
Topic Author
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:16 am

Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ
 
tomaheath
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:50 am

skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ

Why didn’t the doors shut?
 
Kent350787
Posts: 2426
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:03 am

tomaheath wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ

Why didn’t the doors shut?


Because they have a mechnism to stop people being accidentally trapped underneath them and crushed. They worked as designed, but perhaps the design parameters didn't anticipate a violent invasion as occurred.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:04 am

Kent350787 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ

Why didn’t the doors shut?


Because they have a mechnism to stop people being accidentally trapped underneath them and crushed. They worked as designed, but perhaps the design parameters didn't anticipate a violent invasion as occurred.

Thanks for the info.
 
skyservice_330
Topic Author
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:06 am

A question that should be asked, but presumably the pressure/safety sensors were triggered by the chairs and other objects the insurrectionists were placing in the path of the door to prevent it from closing.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:10 am

skyservice_330 wrote:
A question that should be asked, but presumably the pressure/safety sensors were triggered by the chairs and other objects the insurrectionists were placing in the path of the door to prevent it from closing.



Well so much for that argument that they were let in .
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24542
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:44 am

If a sitting United States president is getting texts and calls begging him to call off the insurrection by high ranking elected officials of his own party and talking heads respected by those who follow the party and, yet, that sitting president does nothing, shouldn't he face consequences of some sort?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/29/politics ... index.html
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 68764.html

Worth noting that Hannity called the domestic terrorists/MAGA supporters "lunatics"

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... n-1326500/

Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is completely off the rails, talking about "the Biden crime family... being sent to Gitmo right now" and watermarks on legitimate ballots among other Q conspiracies. Democrats have a golden opportunity here!
 
B777LRF
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.

ER757 wrote:
Not the same at all - the ones you mention support a far left agenda.


I think this is a perfect illustration of how screwed up US politics have become, and how words have lost their meaning.

None of the senators you’re referring to are even remotely “far left” on any balanced scale. In fact, in most of the world they’d be considered either centre or slightly to the right o centre.

“Far-left” is where you find communism and anarchy; none of the senators mentioned are advocating anything of the kind.

But, then again, in a country where “social-democracy”, “socialism” and “communism” are often considered interchangeable, it’s hardly a surprise.

What the US does have, in abundance, is far right. Far enough that it starts smelling like fascism. That’s apparently okay, but woe betide the poor sod who dares suggesting that, maybe, universal health care is not such a bad idea.
 
pune
Posts: 1452
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Sun May 01, 2022 6:01 am

B777LRF wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.

ER757 wrote:
Not the same at all - the ones you mention support a far left agenda.


I think this is a perfect illustration of how screwed up US politics have become, and how words have lost their meaning.

None of the senators you’re referring to are even remotely “far left” on any balanced scale. In fact, in most of the world they’d be considered either centre or slightly to the right o centre.

“Far-left” is where you find communism and anarchy; none of the senators mentioned are advocating anything of the kind.

But, then again, in a country where “social-democracy”, “socialism” and “communism” are often considered interchangeable, it’s hardly a surprise.

What the US does have, in abundance, is far right. Far enough that it starts smelling like fascism. That’s apparently okay, but woe betide the poor sod who dares suggesting that, maybe, universal health care is not such a bad idea.


Sadly, on the money :(
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Mon May 02, 2022 12:54 pm

A Grand Jury in Georgia is convening today to look into the events that surrounded the big Lie and efforts to overturn Georgia's elections

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/politics/georg
ia-grand-jury-meadows-texts/index.html

"For Willis, her probe has been playing out against a backdrop of racist threats that began the moment she announced an investigation into Trump. For Monday's jury selection, officials are planning to close roads surrounding the courthouse, station snipers on the roof and have K-9 police dogs at the ready, according to people involved in the planning. Prosecutors on Willis' team have also been issued bulletproof vests, said a person familiar with the situation.
The sweeping investigation has sought to determine not only whether Trump committed crimes but also whether there was a broader criminal conspiracy playing out in the efforts to overturn Georgia's election results. In document preservation requests to Georgia officials in February 2021, Willis said she was investigating potential crimes including solicitation of election fraud, making false statements to government bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and violence or threats related to election administration."



Trump and his allies pushed hard on the Governor to fire people to get the outcome he desired, and put a lot of pressure into using lies to get what he wanted.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2429
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 pm

Kevin McCarthy and 4 other republicans have been handed subpoenas by January 6 committee.

The House select committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol is taking the extraordinary step of sending subpoenas to
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and four other Republican lawmakers who have rejected the panel's requests to voluntarily cooperate.


And with hearings less than a month away, the panel is facing a ticking clock to get all the information it can.

"The Select Committee has learned that several of our colleagues have information relevant to our investigation into the attack on January 6th and
the events leading up to it," the panel's chairman, Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, said in a statement. "Before we hold our hearings
next month, we wished to provide members the opportunity to discuss these matters with the committee voluntarily."
"Regrettably, the individuals receiving subpoenas today have refused and we're forced to take this step to help ensure the committee uncovers
facts concerning January 6th," he continued. "We urge our colleagues to comply with the law, do their patriotic duty, and cooperate with our investigation
as hundreds of other witnesses have done."


https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/12/poli ... index.html
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24542
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Thu May 12, 2022 6:18 pm

More and more, MAGA leaders, the "yes men" surrounding the former one term, twice impeached president, are now saying "but I wanted to do something!" as they try to save their behinds. If they "wanted to do something" they could have but why didn't they? They saw what was happening but still just said "yes sir" to their dear leader. I wonder why....
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri May 20, 2022 3:45 pm

And the evidence continues to mount.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/2 ... n-00034023

The filing also describes the direct role of Trump himself in developing strategy, detailing “two hand-written notes from former President Trump about information that he thought might be useful for the anticipated litigation.” Those notes are among the documents Eastman is seeking to shield via attorney-client privilege. Eastman said he would also speak directly with Trump by phone throughout his legal challenges to the election.


Eastman argues in his new filing that Carter’s earlier ruling was flawed and that multiple attorneys in Trump’s orbit had a genuine belief the election results were illegitimate. That belief, he said, should not be the basis for a finding of criminality, even if it turned out to be wrong.




In the next article we see that Eastman was hired in September.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-han ... urt-filing

Eastman’s filing says he was hired by Trump two months before the Nov. 3 election when he was invited by Trump attorney Cleta Mitchell “to join an Election Integrity Working Group to begin preparing for anticipated litigation.” Things “kicked into high gear” when he was asked to meet with a team in Philadelphia four days after the election to help prepare an election challenge, the filing says


They planned to litigate from the start, and all of it was to try to maintain power.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Thu May 26, 2022 9:01 pm

And apparently Evidence was destroyed.
Then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows burned papers in his office after meeting with a House Republican who was working to challenge the 2020 election, according to testimony the Jan. 6 select committee has heard from one of his former aides.


Why are government officials doing official business using non government encrytion channels?

The select committee has also revealed that Meadows and Perry took steps to conceal some of their communications after the election. For example, in a Dec. 2020 text message exchange the committee included in an April court filing, Perry told Meadows he had “just sent you something on Signal,” referring to the encrypted messaging app popular with journalists and government officials.


https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/2 ... y-00035411
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:08 pm

And in the latest updates this week, an email has surfaced that seems to corroborate the criminal activities of state GOP legislatures/committees in selecting alternative Electoral voters.


Notice the absolute disdain for American voters in this email from Chesebro

If the high court were to decide not to take up the issue at all, according to the email, scenarios could play out in which Pelosi or Pence were elected acting president by Congress.

"It doesn't seem fanciful to think that Trump and Pence would end up winning the vote after some legislatures appoint electors," Chesebro concluded.

Notably, the attorney told Guiliani that he thought any of these unprecedented and relatively unstable outcomes seemed "preferable" to allowing the normal vote certification process to proceed and having Pence preside over what Chesebro called the "charade" of a Biden victory.


https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-news ... january-6/
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1688
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:31 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ


Yeah, I mean it is chilling, but that is exactly what properly trained building security forces are trained to handle.

The police simply were not well trained and were not able to perform basic job duties. They failed. The Us Capitol Police is like 2,000 strong! As much as I dislike vagrants and bums rushing into a building, it does happen and that is exactly why the Capitol Police were organized in the first place. They are very well armed and should have easily repelled the attack.

Charlottesville, annoying people doing annoying things but most of it was legal. I don’t think it was that noteworthy.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1688
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:41 pm

B777LRF wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Same argument applies to Sen Warren, AOC and Bernie. Fringe voters give you fringe candidates.

ER757 wrote:
Not the same at all - the ones you mention support a far left agenda.


I think this is a perfect illustration of how screwed up US politics have become, and how words have lost their meaning.

None of the senators you’re referring to are even remotely “far left” on any balanced scale. In fact, in most of the world they’d be considered either centre or slightly to the right o centre.

“Far-left” is where you find communism and anarchy; none of the senators mentioned are advocating anything of the kind.

But, then again, in a country where “social-democracy”, “socialism” and “communism” are often considered interchangeable, it’s hardly a surprise.

What the US does have, in abundance, is far right. Far enough that it starts smelling like fascism. That’s apparently okay, but woe betide the poor sod who dares suggesting that, maybe, universal health care is not such a bad idea.


Socialism, communism and social democracy are euphemisms for each other. It is important to read the literature for each. Socialism is a spectrum, and Communism is 100% on that spectrum.

You might not expect Communist countries to be named “Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, or “Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.” Fidel Castro spoke about his Socialism frequently. Words can be funny things.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:50 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ


Yeah, I mean it is chilling, but that is exactly what properly trained building security forces are trained to handle.

The police simply were not well trained and were not able to perform basic job duties. They failed. The Us Capitol Police is like 2,000 strong! As much as I dislike vagrants and bums rushing into a building, it does happen and that is exactly why the Capitol Police were organized in the first place. They are very well armed and should have easily repelled the attack.

Charlottesville, annoying people doing annoying things but most of it was legal. I don’t think it was that noteworthy.



The police were well trained. They just had issues handling a mob unleashed by Trump and his dishonorable rally. They had called for national guard backup and were denied.
https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timel ... o-capitol/
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/0 ... ial-523777



Charlottesville was not "annoying people" They were racist nationalists attempting to defend statues of people fighting for the right to own slaves.

https://time.com/charlottesville-white- ... y-clashes/

Violence erupted in the college town of Charlottesville on Aug. 12 after hundreds of white nationalists and their supporters who gathered for a rally over plans to remove a Confederate statue were met by counter-protesters, leading Virginia’s governor to declare a state of emergency.

Clashes broke out between the white nationalists and counter-protesters; the “Unite the Right” rally at a park once named for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was deemed unlawful. At one point in the afternoon, a vehicle drove into a crowd of counter-protesters marching through the downtown area before speeding away, resulting in one death and leaving more than a dozen others injured. State police later reported the crash of a helicopter that was monitoring the events in Charlottesville, killing two troopers.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1688
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
Security footage from the day captures the moment that Capitol police officers attempted to retreat while pursued and hunted down by the insurrectionists, who impeded their efforts and threw things at them…chilling.

https://twitter.com/macfarlanenews/status/1519831579408965632?s=21&t=6674wdwBwuJX9z1O-_6CRQ


Yeah, I mean it is chilling, but that is exactly what properly trained building security forces are trained to handle.

The police simply were not well trained and were not able to perform basic job duties. They failed. The Us Capitol Police is like 2,000 strong! As much as I dislike vagrants and bums rushing into a building, it does happen and that is exactly why the Capitol Police were organized in the first place. They are very well armed and should have easily repelled the attack.

Charlottesville, annoying people doing annoying things but most of it was legal. I don’t think it was that noteworthy.



The police were well trained. They just had issues handling a mob unleashed by Trump and his dishonorable rally. They had called for national guard backup and were denied.
https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timel ... o-capitol/
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/0 ... ial-523777



Charlottesville was not "annoying people" They were racist nationalists attempting to defend statues of people fighting for the right to own slaves.

https://time.com/charlottesville-white- ... y-clashes/

Violence erupted in the college town of Charlottesville on Aug. 12 after hundreds of white nationalists and their supporters who gathered for a rally over plans to remove a Confederate statue were met by counter-protesters, leading Virginia’s governor to declare a state of emergency.

Clashes broke out between the white nationalists and counter-protesters; the “Unite the Right” rally at a park once named for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was deemed unlawful. At one point in the afternoon, a vehicle drove into a crowd of counter-protesters marching through the downtown area before speeding away, resulting in one death and leaving more than a dozen others injured. State police later reported the crash of a helicopter that was monitoring the events in Charlottesville, killing two troopers.


And? What are we going to do, jail them / liquidate them? They’re annoying…. move on. If you want to counter protest, do so… you have my support. But please obey the law.

“Clashes broke out” is an ambiguous phrase… assault is a criminal offense. If someone commits criminal assault, they should be arrested and sentenced to jail. On the other hand, self defense is perfectly legal. When you “clash” with a criminal attacker, you are a crime victim, not a criminal yourself.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:39 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
casinterest wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Yeah, I mean it is chilling, but that is exactly what properly trained building security forces are trained to handle.

The police simply were not well trained and were not able to perform basic job duties. They failed. The Us Capitol Police is like 2,000 strong! As much as I dislike vagrants and bums rushing into a building, it does happen and that is exactly why the Capitol Police were organized in the first place. They are very well armed and should have easily repelled the attack.

Charlottesville, annoying people doing annoying things but most of it was legal. I don’t think it was that noteworthy.



The police were well trained. They just had issues handling a mob unleashed by Trump and his dishonorable rally. They had called for national guard backup and were denied.
https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timel ... o-capitol/
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/0 ... ial-523777



Charlottesville was not "annoying people" They were racist nationalists attempting to defend statues of people fighting for the right to own slaves.

https://time.com/charlottesville-white- ... y-clashes/

Violence erupted in the college town of Charlottesville on Aug. 12 after hundreds of white nationalists and their supporters who gathered for a rally over plans to remove a Confederate statue were met by counter-protesters, leading Virginia’s governor to declare a state of emergency.

Clashes broke out between the white nationalists and counter-protesters; the “Unite the Right” rally at a park once named for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was deemed unlawful. At one point in the afternoon, a vehicle drove into a crowd of counter-protesters marching through the downtown area before speeding away, resulting in one death and leaving more than a dozen others injured. State police later reported the crash of a helicopter that was monitoring the events in Charlottesville, killing two troopers.


And? What are we going to do, jail them / liquidate them? They’re annoying…. move on. If you want to counter protest, do so… you have my support. But please obey the law.

“Clashes broke out” is an ambiguous phrase… assault is a criminal offense. If someone commits criminal assault, they should be arrested and sentenced to jail. On the other hand, self defense is perfectly legal. When you “clash” with a criminal attacker, you are a crime victim, not a criminal yourself.



So that is why the Organziers of Untie the Right were found liable? The whole initial protest was based on a lie,

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/23/10580243 ... al-verdict

A jury in Virginia has found a group of white nationalists who organized the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Va., liable of engaging in a conspiracy ahead of the violent demonstration, awarding the plaintiffs who brought the case more than $25 million in damages on Tuesday.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:43 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Socialism, communism and social democracy are euphemisms for each other. It is important to read the literature for each. Socialism is a spectrum, and Communism is 100% on that spectrum.


Thank you for proving my point.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15342
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Unite the Right / Jan 6 - Legal Impacts - A thread

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:06 pm

The Proud boys have been charged with sedition for their participation and organization surrounding the Jan 6 attacks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61712873

Along with co-defendants Dominic Pezzola, Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs and Zachary Rehl, Tarrio, 38, had earlier pleaded not guilty to conspiracy charges relating to the Capitol attack.

But Monday's grand jury indictment goes a step further, alleging the five men were ready "to oppose by force the authority of the government".

Charles Donohoe, a North Carolina-based Proud Boy, pleaded guilty to conspiracy and assault charges in April and agreed to cooperate with the investigation. He was not named in the new indictment.

According to the filing, Tarrio and other Proud Boys used encrypted communications to plan the attack.

They are said to have encouraged members to attend the rally on 6 January 2021, and crowd-funded online to buy protective gear and cover travel expenses to Washington DC.


What's even better is that apparently they had a documentary crew following them around with cameras,
and that person will be testifying before the Bipartisan Jan 6 committee on Thursday evening.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/nati ... g/3070927/

A source familiar with the matter said Nick Quested, owner of Goldcrest Films, will deliver testimony during the panel's primetime hearing.

The House committee is promising to reveal stunning new details about the attack when the first of at least a half-dozen hearings kick off this week.



The Hearing on Thursday should be interesting given the numerous testimonies and documents that the Committee has uncovered.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 17 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos