Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Monstrous ethical conundrum

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:22 am

It is time to log the day's financial transactions in my spreadsheet.

First, I caved and went to Dunkin Donuts in Roseville. Let's hope I don't do that again.

Then it was time to buy Brussels sprouts at ALDI, but that wasn't going to take long at all so in the parking lot there, before I went in, I ordered two pizzas to pick up from Toppers in Falcon Heights.

I went in to ALDI, bought the sprouts at 3:18pm (says my receipt), then drove down Snelling to Larpenteur and picked up the za.

My receipt from Toppers says 3:14pm, however the pickup took place some time after 3:30.

When listing the transactions chronologically, does what Toppers put on paper as occurring at 3:14pm come before ALDI, since I entered the order — and AmEx authorized the charge — before the 3:18pm Acquisition of the Sprouts?

OR

Does the Toppers transaction come AFTER, since a transaction is an exchange yes EXCHANGE of goods or services for money and therefore there was, arguably, no transaction to document until the exchange yes EXCHANGE was complete?

This has me vext. :boggled:

NIKV69

Re: Monstrous ethical conundrum

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:25 am

I love Minnesota, Don't like Aldi's and I am very confused. I am sure you will find your way.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:38 am

Huge dilemma dude...nothing a snort of whiskey and writing down the day won’t fix. There’s always tomorrow’s ledger.

T18

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:48 am

The financial transactions for the pizza occurred first even if the physical transaction did not. Any other way is communism or fascism or something /s

petertenthije

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 am

As with all accounting, try to make the books match the bank statements, so 3:14 for the pizza.

Your real ethical dilemma should be obvious: why buy brussels sprouts? They are nasty.

Kent350787

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 am

petertenthije wrote:
As with all accounting, try to make the books match the bank statements, so 3:14 for the pizza.

Your real ethical dilemma should be obvious: why buy brussels sprouts? They are nasty.

Agreed on the accounting.

But anyone who says that about brussels sprouts has never tasted them roasted and topped with pomegranate mollasses.

seb146

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:22 am

I have only ever been to ALDI in Bakersfield. I want to go again!

From when I worked in food service (did a stint at an international chain. I do not recommend it), people paying with a card would be charged when they place the order. In your case, sitting in the ALDI parking lot making questionable dining choices on your phone before going into a wonderful store and making good dining choices is the correct accounting order.

Pizza
Brussels sprouts

In that order. At least quarter them and drizzle them with balsamic before roasting them.

fr8mech

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:28 am

Unless you're trying to prove causation, it really doesn't matter, though reconciling...does anyone do that anymore?...is made simpler if your ledger entries match the bank's.

So, the pizza pi(e) at 3:14.

petertenthije wrote:

Clearly you've never had them halved and cooked over a high heat then tossed with a subtle blend of honey and soy sauce.

seb146

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 am

fr8mech wrote:

Good catch. I wonder who else missed this?

Kent350787

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:13 am

fr8mech wrote:
Unless you're trying to prove causation, it really doesn't matter, though reconciling...does anyone do that anymore?...is made simpler if your ledger entries match the bank's.

petertenthije wrote:

Clearly you've never had them halved and cooked over a high heat then tossed with a subtle blend of honey and soy sauce.

Do you add toasted sesame seeds, or even almonds to that?

casinterest

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:18 am

I thought this was going to be about how you should wrap the brussel sprouts in bacon and add a honey glaze.

fr8mech

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:27 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Do you add toasted sesame seeds, or even almonds to that?

No, it's a very simple and quick recipe. Though sesame seeds may add a little depth.

casinterest wrote:
I thought this was going to be about how you should wrap the brussel sprouts in bacon and add a honey glaze.

No need, if you use bacon grease to cook the sprouts. The key, in my most humble opinion, is to cook the sprouts, cut side down, until they have just started to char. The upside should be bright green. Flip them quickly and let them cook another 2 or so minutes, remove from heat and toss with the honey/soy mixture.

cskok8

Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:29 am

Get the FBI to investigate. I am sure they will figure something out

flipdewaf

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:18 am

Sprouts! Cut them from the stem-> cut a cross in the base->boil them for 10minutes->drain them ->eat.

Pizza? Meh.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braybuddy

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Sprouts! Cut them from the stem-> cut a cross in the base->boil them for 10minutes->drain them ->eat.

Pizza? Meh.

Fred

Too long! That's when you get that bitter flavour, which is probably why a lot of people don't like them. Half that time, then add butter and black pepper! :smile:

scbriml

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 am

Kent350787 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Agreed on the accounting.

But anyone who says that about brussels sprouts has never tasted them roasted and topped with pomegranate mollasses.

I'll have to try the pomegranate molasses! My go-to is with sprouts is freshly fried cubetti di pancetta with the rendered fat coating them and toss on a few caraway seeds.

Other than that, life's too short to bother with logging my daily purchases in a spreadsheet.

flipdewaf

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 am

Braybuddy wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Pizza? Meh.

Fred

Too long! That's when you get that bitter flavour, which is probably why a lot of people don't like them. Half that time, then add butter and black pepper! :smile:

But the bitter is what’s nice!

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKV69

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Is this place Toppers any good?

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm

Airstud wrote:
When listing the transactions chronologically, does what Toppers put on paper as occurring at 3:14pm come before ALDI, since I entered the order — and AmEx authorized the charge — before the 3:18pm Acquisition of the Sprouts?

OR

Does the Toppers transaction come AFTER, since a transaction is an exchange yes EXCHANGE of goods or services for money and therefore there was, arguably, no transaction to document until the exchange yes EXCHANGE was complete?

Well, that certainly depends. Is this so-called "financial transactions spreadsheet" intended to be an accurate record of financial transactions? Or is it intended to be a record of your personal whereabouts, for alibi purposes?

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:56 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Airstud wrote:

OR

Well, that certainly depends. Is this so-called "financial transactions spreadsheet" intended to be an accurate record of financial transactions? Or is it intended to be a record of your personal whereabouts, for alibi purposes?

Irrelevant yes IRRELEVANT, as ALDI and Toppers are a five-minute drive away from each other.

IRRELEVANT, I SAY.

NIKV69 wrote:
Is this place Toppers any good?

Yes.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm

Airstud wrote:
Irrelevant yes IRRELEVANT, as ALDI and Toppers are a five-minute drive away from each other.

IRRELEVANT, I SAY.

OBJECTION OVERRULED.

A lot can happen in 5 minutes.

Virtual737

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:30 pm

With the information to hand, I'd be calling Amex to ask how any of this is possible, expecting a full refund.

seb146

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:54 pm

One thing you can do is take that survey at the bottom of the receipt. If it is very low, management will have a field day. If it is low enough, they will call and beg and plead for you to continue spending your money there.

EDIT:

We just got one the other day. It was a 10 and they deserve it. We know who it was, even though no name was mentioned. They go above and beyond every time. The review started off "Bruh..." and said something down the way about "a huge shot of serotonin".

ItnStln

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

fr8mech wrote:

Do you guys have recipes you can give me by chance?

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:12 pm

ItnStln wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

fr8mech wrote:

Adding to Kent's and fr8y-baby's recommendations, I've enjoyed them sautéed with diced onions & lemon rind.

Kent350787

Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:32 am

ItnStln wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

fr8mech wrote:

I’ve had them from a local Cypriot restaurant, so don’t have a recipe. They were halved, and oven roasted having been tossed in what I expect would be olive oil, although there may have been a little lamb fat too. Drizzled once the outside is caramelised with pomegranate molasses and with a sprinkling of a dukkah style dried herb and sesame mix.

fr8mech

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:09 am

ItnStln wrote:

This is one of those recipes that I wing every time I make it, but basically:

1lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 tablespoon or so of your fat of choice (butter, oil, bacon grease, etc.)
!/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Medium to high heat; cook the sprouts, face down in the fat until they've just started to char.
Reduce heat to medium and flip the sprouts.
Meanwhile, heat the honey and soy sauce over a low heat. You just want to get the honey flowing easier.
Remove the sprouts from heat after 5'ish minutes and toss with the honey.

seb146

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:44 pm

dang..... I hate Brussels sprouts but I am kinda wanting to try them, now. The little market up the street has them on stalks for like $3 a stalk. I doubt we can get pomegranate molasses but some of these other ideas we could make.....

ItnStln

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:38 pm

Airstud wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

fr8mech wrote:

Adding to Kent's and fr8y-baby's recommendations, I've enjoyed them sautéed with diced onions & lemon rind.

They do sound good!

ItnStln

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

fr8mech wrote:

I’ve had them from a local Cypriot restaurant, so don’t have a recipe. They were halved, and oven roasted having been tossed in what I expect would be olive oil, although there may have been a little lamb fat too. Drizzled once the outside is caramelised with pomegranate molasses and with a sprinkling of a dukkah style dried herb and sesame mix.

Thanks, I'll give them a try this weekend!

ItnStln

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:39 pm

fr8mech wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

This is one of those recipes that I wing every time I make it, but basically:

1lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 tablespoon or so of your fat of choice (butter, oil, bacon grease, etc.)
!/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Medium to high heat; cook the sprouts, face down in the fat until they've just started to char.
Reduce heat to medium and flip the sprouts.
Meanwhile, heat the honey and soy sauce over a low heat. You just want to get the honey flowing easier.
Remove the sprouts from heat after 5'ish minutes and toss with the honey.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot! Do you do them on the stove or grill?

fr8mech

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:02 pm

ItnStln wrote:

Stove

ItnStln

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:06 pm

fr8mech wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Stove

Awesome, thank you!