Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Worst Editorial Writing Take of the Year

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 am

In a year an engaged consumer of wide ranging media will come across many opinions - some well developed, others throwaway. Then there are the ones best kept to oneself.

In a new entry in UK conservative magazine, The Spectator, TV presenter Rachel Johnson had this to offer on Ghislaine Maxwell:

It’s hard not to feel a batsqueak of pity for Ghislaine Maxwell — 500 days and counting in solitary confinement. I intersected briefly with her at Oxford. As a fresher I wandered into Balliol JCR one day in search of its subsidised breakfast granola-and-Nescafé offering and found a shiny glamazon with naughty eyes holding court astride a table, a high-heeled boot resting on my brother Boris’s thigh.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/it- ... axwell/amp

First, it’s hard to even call that English, second, if you barely knew and admired a now-infamous person in school, no need to mention it now that they’re disgusting. :boggled: How about this, Rachel? Oxford or no Oxford, sex traffickers deserve zero pity.

johns624

Re: Worst Editorial Writing Take of the Year

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:18 am

Not to mention that Maxwell didn't learn much of importance at Oxford. Why did she think that she could hide at a mansion in New Hampshire? If she'd an ounce of sense, she would've left the country while she could.

seb146

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:24 am

Monster or not, that certainly paints a picture. This is what writing is supposed to be. I don't even like reading much, but I would buy that book.

johns624

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 am

seb146 wrote:
Monster or not, that certainly paints a picture. This is what writing is supposed to be. I don't even like reading much, but I would buy that book.
You just said more about yourself than any of us wanted to know.

seb146

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:39 am

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
You just said more about yourself than any of us wanted to know.

I don't read books. I read shorter articles. Essays on quantum theory and Slave Patrols and the history of hockey. Just not "Pride And Prejudice" or "DaVinci Code" or anything like that.

But, I see what you did there ;)