Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Female Chinese Tennis star missing.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:56 am

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/fears-gro ... d=81225830

Peng Shuai accused a government official of sexual misconduct. In China that can be very dangerous. She has not been heard of since and Naomi Osaka has tweeted support. I sure hope this girl is ok. When I see things like this I remember the CNN crew who got to close to a court house the Chinese didn't want them too. Stormtroopers swiftly shoved him in a Van and took him away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7mCJki6BQI

If she is safe she needs to get out of China.

Aaron747

Re: Female Chinese Tennis star missing.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:15 am

Unfortunately she likely won’t be okay, but this official, whatever he has arranged as her fate, is setting off a hornets’ nest. The WTA Tour is a global, outspoken organization. They will not stay quiet.

If she is okay, she cannot simply leave the country as you suggest. PRC stamps citizens out at airport immigration.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:17 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Unfortunately she likely won’t be okay, but this official, whatever he has arranged as her fate, is setting off a hornets’ nest. The WTA Tour is a global, outspoken organization. They will not stay quiet.

If she is okay, she cannot simply leave the country as you suggest. PRC stamps citizens out at airport immigration.

That is what I am afraid about. The WTA is no match for China.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

WTA will be fine - they have major sponsors around the world.

art

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:17 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I agree that WTA hould protest if a player has dropped off the radar after making allegations against an official but I do not think that the Chinese communist party establishment will care at all about what WTA has to say.

Spyrith

Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:21 am

art wrote:
I agree that WTA hould protest if a player has dropped off the radar after making allegations against an official but I do not think that the Chinese communist party establishment will care at all about what WTA has to say.

With every organization and country China "punishes" it becomes more and more isolated. At some point, it will have upset just pretty everybody and won't be taken seriously anymore. It's already happening at an EU level. That's why the EU stopped trying all that much to pander to China and started supporting Taiwan indenpendence and canceled their trade deal with China.

c933103

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:08 pm

On November 9, I received this image from a Chinese internet user.
According to text description, the photo was taken from China's National Tennis Training Stadium.

N14AZ

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:27 pm

I guess the Chinese communistic party leaders are really really nervous.

But to be honest, I don’t understand why. People are rather happy how things are in China. It’s not that a revolution is about to start. I guess the communistic party is afraid of something that I do not see…

Tugger

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Unfortunately she likely won’t be okay, but this official, whatever he has arranged as her fate, is setting off a hornets’ nest.

Yes, I am confident Peng is not the only "disappearing".

Zhang will simply not be heard from again I think.

However it will be sad to see the subdued version of Peng that is returned to the world after authorities "help" her.

Tugg

johns624

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:52 pm

She appears to have been afflicted with "Jimmy Hoffa Syndrome"---the feeling that you are too well known for bad people to do something to you. It's sad but they will get away with it.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:59 pm

johns624 wrote:
She appears to have been afflicted with "Jimmy Hoffa Syndrome"---the feeling that you are too well known for bad people to do something to you. It's sad but they will get away with it.

I sure hope you're wrong but I am getting a bad feeling.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:48 pm

The PRC foreign ministry is continuing denial this case even exists

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6253591

ltbewr

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:02 am

Recall how for years in the USA of the sexual and other abuses of mainly young female athletes like the gymnasts, afraid to speak out or lose their chance. That was repressed until the anti-rape movement got going from woman (and a few men) in entertainment and general businesses. Women were paid off, extorted to kept quiet for too long. Now what is happening with this tennis star may be more visible but I bet like with our gymnasts, many female athletes in China and many other countries (like Russia) face sexual assault and kept silent in bad ways.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Like I said, the WTA has been a puncher on various issues for years and is not going to be pushed around. This becomes a major PR loss for PRC if they lose 9-10 tournaments a year, especially since tennis has been exploding in popularity among the upper middle class and wealthy there.

sierrakilo44

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:38 pm

She just shared some photos of her in her residence to her WeChat account, so missing no more.

Perhaps she’s keeping a low profile because, just like a lot of women in Western countries, raising of harassment allegations attract a lot of unwanted attention and she wants to privacy. If women in West did this everyone would support them, but because it’s China it MUST be a government conspiracy.

Of course conspiracy theorists have figured out the truth. In the photos she shared there’s a Winnie the Pooh picture in the background which must be a coded message that she’s being kept hostage. Because according to them Winnie the Pooh is banned in China, except for the fact that Shanghai Disneyland has a Winnie the Pooh ride but why let facts get in the way of a conspiracy?

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
She just shared some photos of her in her residence to her WeChat account, so missing no more.

Perhaps she’s keeping a low profile because, just like a lot of women in Western countries, raising of harassment allegations attract a lot of unwanted attention and she wants to privacy. If women in West did this everyone would support them, but because it’s China it MUST be a government conspiracy.

Of course conspiracy theorists have figured out the truth. In the photos she shared there’s a Winnie the Pooh picture in the background which must be a coded message that she’s being kept hostage. Because according to them Winnie the Pooh is banned in China, except for the fact that Shanghai Disneyland has a Winnie the Pooh ride but why let facts get in the way of a conspiracy?

I won't believe it until I see her not some photos. Sorry.

johns624

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:49 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

I won't believe it until I see her not some photos. Sorry.
Same here.

Newark727

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:01 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

You seem to be implying an unfair double standard of some kind, but really what's happening here is that people are assuming an authoritarian government has done something authoritarian governments are known to do. May end up being an incorrect assumption, but it's a fair one to make.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:57 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Keeping a low profile does not involve being unreachable to the professional association that runs publicity and events for your occupation. Huge red flag you seem to have ignored. WTA would have all of her contact information, obviously.

leader1

Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Like clockwork, here comes the CCP shill brigade. Every perceived slight against the party, the token self-loathing and, quite honestly, twisted Westerner has to show face and impress his wumao buddies. There are more than enough of the latter to defend the CCP’s honor. CCP virtuous, good and just…the West is always evil.

This whole event might go against your rosy perception of the CCP, but it speaks volumes that the WTA, which bent over backwards and did volumes to appease them and break into the PRC, is suspicious of their actions thus far and is willing to break the relationship. And the WTA is hardly a pro-Western entity when you look at their cozy relationship with Russia.

zkojq

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:43 am

I'm honestly impressed at how the WTA has stood up for her and is actually fighting for her wellbeing. Plenty of other sporting leagues would have just capitulated to the Chinese government.

Aesma

Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:23 am

I think that's an indication that China's standing has already gone down. Probably helped by COVID, and companies realizing that relying too much on China was a bad idea, and that China might not be a great market anyway.

art

Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:50 pm

zkojq wrote:
I'm honestly impressed at how the WTA has stood up for her and is actually fighting for her wellbeing. Plenty of other sporting leagues would have just capitulated to the Chinese government.

Good to see WTA taking a firm stance. What would have really got a reaction would have been female competitors at the Winter Olympics organising a boycott. I think that would have worried the Chinese political establishment.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:09 am

Now PRC state media are putting out apparently staged videos showing Peng alive:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/59361505.amp

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Now PRC state media are putting out apparently staged videos showing Peng alive:

This gets worse and worse

art

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:

It seems that she has appeared at a youth tennis tournament. That would only show that she is alive, wouldn't it, not that she is free.

c933103

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

You mean those photo shared by Chinese propaganda media claiming she will "show up soon" as if they have been planning all their photos and schedules? Sure that's convincing

art

Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:03 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Of course conspiracy theorists have figured out the truth.

That is the point. You cannot trust the Chinese ruling hierarchy to be open, so you have to speculate as to what the truth is.

And you cannot trust the Chinese ruling hierarchy to be honest - Hong Kong agreement made when the UK lease ended is not being observed.

Tianenmen Square incidents - outside of China, people know about them. How many Chinese do?

T4thH

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 am

art wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Of course conspiracy theorists have figured out the truth.

That is the point. You cannot trust the Chinese ruling hierarchy to be open, so you have to speculate as to what the truth is.

And you cannot trust the Chinese ruling hierarchy to be honest - Hong Kong agreement made when the UK lease ended is not being observed.

Tianenmen Square incidents - outside of China, people know about them. How many Chinese do?

Everyone, because the Chinese government is not stupid (as others)...This was all solved "public" and it is still "public".

Everyone is informed, that a by foreigner misguided small group of poor and unexperienced people have done bad things and after this everyone of them happily declared, that it was their own fault and that they are happy to be re-trained and re-educated by the greatest of all government....

And for everyone, who is aware, how propaganda works...just say a lie often enough again and again.... It works:

(But do not fear, in little more than 3 years, when the greatest error of US history has been revised, also many will be able to get this excellent and greatest of experience in another country).

Aaron747

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:46 pm

One of the worst interviews I have ever seen - CNN's Christiane Amanpour with IOC VP Dick Pound on the IOC's video call with Peng Shuai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVFFG_wQts

VolvoBus

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
One of the worst interviews I have ever seen - CNN's Christiane Amanpour with IOC VP Dick Pound on the IOC's video call with Peng Shuai:

Just watched a Youtube video regarding this which possibly answers the question that I have had for some time - why would Peng reach out to the IOC, rather than the WTA ? The Youtuber showed a photograph of Zhang Gaoli posing, shaking hands with ,guess who ? None other than Dick Pound, president of the IOC. Add two and two together and how many do you get ?

Aaron747

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:00 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Just watched a Youtube video regarding this which possibly answers the question that I have had for some time - why would Peng reach out to the IOC, rather than the WTA ? The Youtuber showed a photograph of Zhang Gaoli posing, shaking hands with ,guess who ? None other than Dick Pound, president of the IOC. Add two and two together and how many do you get ?

I think you meant Thomas Bach - but yeah, footage of his meeting with Zhang was in the Amanpour piece as well.

art

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:22 pm

IMO sports organisations should be asking China how the accusations of abuse are being investigated. Perhaps party members are immune from guilty verdicts when charged or immune from being charged after investigation but are they immune from investigation?

My take is that female competitors should refuse to participate in sports competitions in China unless Peng Shuai's accusations are investigated.

VolvoBus

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I think you meant Thomas Bach - but yeah, footage of his meeting with Zhang was in the Amanpour piece as well.

Yes. That happens when I try to walk and chew gum.

c933103

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:34 pm

art wrote:
IMO sports organisations should be asking China how the accusations of abuse are being investigated. Perhaps party members are immune from guilty verdicts when charged or immune from being charged after investigation but are they immune from investigation?

My take is that female competitors should refuse to participate in sports competitions in China unless Peng Shuai's accusations are investigated.

It depends on whether the party member have a strong enough background/power/personal connection with those higher ups.
Usually, those that do not have as much power would also be called by the party's disciplinary committee.
But that does not appears to be the case here.

VolvoBus

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:45 pm

art wrote:

According to statements from the CEO of WTA, he is quite prepared to pull all tournaments from China. Not that the average Chinese would notice,because 'tennis' produces virtyally no response on WeBo.

What is open to immediate action is the snooker circuit, as quite a few Chinese (I think mainly mainline) are currently playing in the UK championship. Some strategically placed banners around the hall might create interest, especially as TV cameras are there.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:07 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/27/tennis/p ... index.html

The WTA remains deeply concerned. So do I.

c933103

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:19 am

VolvoBus wrote:
art wrote:

According to statements from the CEO of WTA, he is quite prepared to pull all tournaments from China. Not that the average Chinese would notice,because 'tennis' produces virtyally no response on WeBo.

What is open to immediate action is the snooker circuit, as quite a few Chinese (I think mainly mainline) are currently playing in the UK championship. Some strategically placed banners around the hall might create interest, especially as TV cameras are there.

All livestream TV signal in China are delayed a minute or so, exactly to prevent situation like this from happening, allowing them time to react and cut the signal before they reach the eyes of the public.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:32 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
art wrote:

They just did pull all tournaments from China. The comments sections on newspaper websites are full of the spam-gangs trying to deflect.

ltbewr

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 pm

The WTA has made the daring and morally correct move to suspend all scheduled sanctioned tournaments from China. Some sponsors may balk at it, but since a ranking player is involved they had to do it. Of course a similar boycott of the Winter Olympics to be held near Beijing, China will never happen although some high profile athletes may not attend mostly out of the continuing Covid-19 pandemic, not for political protest reasons.

art

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:25 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The WTA has made the daring and morally correct move to suspend all scheduled sanctioned tournaments from China. Some sponsors may balk at it, but since a ranking player is involved they had to do it. Of course a similar boycott of the Winter Olympics to be held near Beijing, China will never happen although some high profile athletes may not attend mostly out of the continuing Covid-19 pandemic, not for political protest reasons.

It would be a big sacrifice but I won't be surprised if there are some female competitors who opt to boycott the Winter Olympics unless Peng Shuai's allegations start to be investigated before the games begin.

Newark727

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 pm

ltbewr wrote:

I appreciate the WTA sticking to their guns here.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 pm

Newark727 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I appreciate the WTA sticking to their guns here.

Me too! I love it!