Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

HNL or La Paz/cabo area Christmas Break

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:19 am

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen issues, I had cancel my Maui Trip in early December and will now have to travel during Christmas Break (Yuck!). Anyways, I have never been to Hawaii or Baja California Sur, and my two options are either HNL (so no, don't say Maui is better because it is off the table) or a place/combo in Baja such as Loreto,la paz, or Cabo.

Which one would you do and why

NIKV69

Re: HNL or La Paz/cabo area Christmas Break

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 am

Wouldn't set foot in Mexico, go to HNL.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:24 am

Mexico is great right now because it’s not crowded. Cabo has nice hotels and La Paz area has some of the finest beaches in all of North America - very chill town with lots of expat residents.

If you want your first Hawaii experience to be Maui, save that for when you can do it. Also Hawaii can be a bit rainy in winter, whereas BCS will have zero rain...though this is the coolest time of year in the desert.

stl07
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:22 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Why not?

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:55 am

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Why not?

I'll hazard a guess where that comment comes from...

Source: shutupandtakemymoney

stl07
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:34 am

Aaron747 wrote:

If you want your first Hawaii experience to be Maui, save that for when you can do it. Also Hawaii can be a bit rainy in winter, whereas BCS will have zero rain...though this is the coolest time of year in the desert.

I don't really care who or what is my first Hawaiian experience as par say, I was just told to avoid HNL, but like I said, I have never been so I was kind of fishing to see what would be the better choice out of the two haha.

On a side note, this is the one question I actually would turn to a bunch of airline nerds rather than dating or medical advice because we probably travel the most out of everyone

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 am

stl07 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I don't really care who or what is my first Hawaiian experience as par say, I was just told to avoid HNL, but like I said, I have never been so I was kind of fishing to see what would be the better choice out of the two haha.

On a side note, this is the one question I actually would turn to a bunch of airline nerds rather than dating or medical advice because we probably travel the most out of everyone

I used to live in HNL, it's not a bad city, as long as you avoid the basic bomb of central Waikiki. There are great beaches and hiking all over Oahu, especially the north shore, though there are a couple of areas to avoid as a mainlander if you don't want to cause offense. It's great to just pack up the rental car in the morning and explore the island. Some people prefer shopping and hanging out at a resort hotel though, and if that's your dig, then Waikiki will do fine.

Kailua beach on the north side of the island:

Source: loveoahu.org

But for bang/buck, the La Paz area is just incredible. The thing about Oahu is you'll be running into other people this time of year, whether in or out of the water. As I said in the previous post, can do a couple nights at a nice hotel in Cabo and then spend a couple days in La Paz, (where the Air BnB offerings are amazing) exploring the amazing beaches on the Sea of Cortes. Nothing quite like an afternoon kayaking those waters with hardly anyone around. I really have to say aside from the alpine PNW or American Southwest, few places in North America are more beautiful.

Source: dansailing

Source: toursguy

stl07
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:06 am

That's exactly what I was thinking, get a few days in of drinking and luxury hotels at Cabo, then rent a car and head up to La Paz or Loreto. Unfortunately I couldn't find any hotels in the North Shore of Oahu apart from a Courtyard that would cost me more than the entire trip to La Paz. Waikiki is doable, and I can do what you said in terms of taking a car and driving straight out.

If I wanted to just sit in my resort all day, I would just drive 2 hours south to San Diego and save all the money haha. I can't imagine going all the way to Hawaii to sit in a resort

SQ22

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am

Please note that when posting any kind of images, please always provide a link to your source, otherwise the respective posts will be deleted. Mentioning the source like some posts above is okay as well.

Natflyer

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:04 pm

I´ve done both Cabo and Hawaii. Really liked Cabo. Did not like HNL, you can pretty much cover everything in 2 days. However I really liked the Big Island.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

It would help to consult a map of a country as large as Mexico. The poster is talking about visiting Baja California Sur, and all three of your articles, including the most fearmongering ‘don’t go’ one, are about the plaza wars in Quintana Roo. La Paz/Cabo San Lucas are almost 1500 mi from Cancun :boggled:

Source: geology.com

emperortk

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
As I said in the previous post, can do a couple nights at a nice hotel in Cabo and then spend a couple days in La Paz, (where the Air BnB offerings are amazing) exploring the amazing beaches on the Sea of Cortes. Nothing quite like an afternoon kayaking those waters with hardly anyone around.

Except for the hammerhead sharks. :boxedin:

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:21 am

emperortk wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
As I said in the previous post, can do a couple nights at a nice hotel in Cabo and then spend a couple days in La Paz, (where the Air BnB offerings are amazing) exploring the amazing beaches on the Sea of Cortes. Nothing quite like an afternoon kayaking those waters with hardly anyone around.

Except for the hammerhead sharks. :boxedin:

I think they're busy hunting seals and sea lions ;)

jetwet1

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:39 am

I would actually go to San Jose del Cabo over Cabo San Lucas.

The city itself is okay, 20 years ago it was great, but the tourism boom gave it a lot of unplanned expansions.

I'm traveling right now, I should be home in about 6 hours, I will post some ideas for you.

stl07
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Huh, posting these articles is like saying you wound't vacation in Miami because of rising crime rates in Seattle

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:17 am

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Huh, posting these articles is like saying you wound't vacation in Miami because of rising crime rates in Seattle

Exactly :rotfl:

More Americans have retired in Mexico than any other country. There are at least 1.5 million Americans living in Mexico FT...I wonder how they survive?? :scratchchin:

NIKV69

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:43 am

Aaron747 wrote:

It would help to consult a map of a country as large as Mexico. The poster is talking about visiting Baja California Sur, and all three of your articles, including the most fearmongering ‘don’t go’ one, are about the plaza wars in Quintana Roo. La Paz/Cabo San Lucas are almost 1500 mi from Cancun :boggled:

No need, unless the Cartel falls which will never happen I will never set foot in Mexico. Are the chances lower where he is looking to go sure but you still are taking a chance. Plenty of other places just as beautiful.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:07 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

No need, unless the Cartel falls which will never happen I will never set foot in Mexico. Are the chances lower where he is looking to go sure but you still are taking a chance. Plenty of other places just as beautiful.

There are multiple cartels...what are you talking about? :boggled: Such simplistic takes...

You're taking more of a chance just driving around in Vegas...SJD is safer than LAS:

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_ci ... fornia+Sur

stl07
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

More Americans have retired in Mexico than any other country. There are at least 1.5 million Americans living in Mexico FT...I wonder how they survive?? :scratchchin:

Ok next question--I have settled on Mexico. SJD/La Paz, PVR, or MZT

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:35 pm

stl07 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I'd go for SJD/La Paz if you have the time to do various things over a week or so. If you only have a few days, PVR can keep you occupied and has the warmest weather. For just a couple nights, either PVR or MZT, but MZT is really only the beachfront unless you plan on doing fishing or something - it's basically el paraíso de los pescadores.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

You're taking more of a chance just driving around in Vegas...SJD is safer than LAS:

No it really isn't and Metro isn't on the drug cartels payroll. Again if you feel that way by all means have a nice time there.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

No it really isn't and Metro isn't on the drug cartels payroll. Again if you feel that way by all means have a nice time there.

Mexico is a complex place, sure, but so is the US. It doesn't matter if cops are on the take or not, the fact is there is a lot of police/army presence in the tourist areas, just like you're safer where the money is in a US city versus the ghetto. If that's too much reality and nuance, sorry not sorry. 6+ million Americans were enjoying Mexico pre-pandemic annually - the ones not ruled by irrational fear and fake NYP headlines.

jetwet1

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:50 pm

stl07 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Okay, I finally surfaced....I guess I should have asked before, what's you budget range per night ?

flyingclrs727

Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:16 am

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Why not?

Mexico doesn't screen for COVID. Hawaii has strict protocols. Pretty much everyone traveling to Hawaii will be fully vaccinated. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a large proportion of people traveling to Hawaii for Christmas will have a third shot. I would much rather travel to Hawaii for Christmas this year.

windy95

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Go to Cabo and avoid HNL. I you want Hawaii go to the Big Island or Kauai. I have been all over Mexico and believe SJDC/La Paz is the best spot to visit.