Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

My Barclay's mastercard payment

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:46 pm

is due in Philadelphia on the 2nd of December.

It is for that reason that I have placed it in the mail this Friday morning, November 26th, in St. Louis Park, Minnesota.

...I mean I put a jacket on and drove to the Elmwood post office just for that reason.

Has to be in Philly by the 2nd.

*alternately looks at calendar and paces*

Francoflier

Re: My Barclay's mastercard payment

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:14 pm

You pay your credit card by cheque? Through the mail?

Now that's a hipster power move.

petertenthije

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:21 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Are cheques still a thing? I’ve never ever seen one in the Netherlands.
Last time I saw one was almost twenty years ago in England.

johns624

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Now that's a hipster power move.
The OP has a thang for post offices...

Virtual737

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Is mail stil a thing? Is Mastercard still a thing?

Mods, this thread seems to have been bumped from 1978.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Airstud wrote:
...I mean I put a jacket on and drove to the Elmwood post office just for that reason.

Did you note this down in your alibi financial transactions spreadsheet?

Aaron747

Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

LOL we would have been on Usenet then...(OK it started up one year later)

WesternDC6B

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:09 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

just yesterday, I wrote a check in order to get my household heater repaired. I have some bills that come in on an irregular basis, I also pay those by check. But, things like credit card payments I do via websites, and in the case of my water bill, and my electricity bill, those are deducted automatically. I've never had a problem doing things like this.

WesternDC6B

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

nail is still a thing period sometimes what I find in my box is even addressed to me, instead of "occupant” or“ my name or current resident”.

MasterCard does indeed still exist. I go back far enough that I remember when visa was called bank americard, or Barclaycard, and MasterCard was called MasterCharge.

The one that still exists, but I don't know why, is Carte Blanche. The Diners Club card got absorbed into what is today called, Discover.

Now, a serious question for those of you who fly a lot: does the old Air Travel Card still exist?

kelval

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:40 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Every day, everywhere in France.
Just think of how innovative it is to be able to pay with just a pen and a small book, without a credit card, a terminal, a phone connexion or a full wallet that someone can steal from you.
There's a life outside internet coverage, and those people have to right to pay too.

scbriml

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:40 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Is Mastercard still a thing?

I hope so because Amazon just announced that they'll not be accepting Visa in the UK after 18th January. :o

T18

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:52 am

petertenthije wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Yes American banks at least still offer paper checks (or cheques for or buddies who like the monarchy), Only really use them myself to pay taxes.

LCDFlight

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:31 am

I still use checks to pay home improvement expenses. Formerly, I always paid rent with a check. Otherwise, never really use checks -- or cash!

M564038

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:33 am

Outside of travelers checks, which I guess was a thing up until 2000, I haven’t seen a check since the mid 80s! I had forgotten that they were in use in the US until quite recently! How absurd;-)

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pm

It turns out it's actually due in Philly on the phirst, not the second, of December.

This morning I sent out a payment on my Goodyear credit card.

That has to be in Louisville by the 4th.

johns624

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Airstud wrote:
It turns out it's actually due in Philly on the phirst, not the second, of December.

This morning I sent out a payment on my Goodyear credit card.

That has to be in Louisville by the 4th.
There's this new thing called e-payments. It's only been around for 20+ years...

phatfarmlines

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:50 pm

E-payments aside, do postmarked dates not matter anymore?

fr8mech

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:15 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

I think it depends on what your agreement says. I don’t think I’d ever seen a credit card that defined on time as the postmark date.

I think that’s reserved more for applications and what-not.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

I think it depends on what your agreement says. I don’t think I’d ever seen a credit card that defined on time as the postmark date.

Yeah postmark dates matter for things like sweepstakes entries (I think it also mattered for college apps back in my day) and for tax returns.

It's never ever mattered for credit card & loan payments; they go by arrival date only.

I like it better that way anyway. It's more suspenseful, exhilarating.

johns624

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Airstud wrote:

Your FICO score doesn't thank you...

ACDC8

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 pm

A lot of places here in Canada still ask for a void cheque when setting up direct deposit/payment.

Going back 30 years, used to write cheques for everything and anything. Nowadays, go to the bank, get a book of 10 "just in case" cheques and they'll last you 5 years.

johns624

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Nowadays, go to the bank, get a book of 10 "just in case" cheques and they'll last you 5 years.
That sounds like me.

Pellegrine

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:52 am

I use checks/cheques to pay my landscaper in DC. He's old old school. I use a check to pay my mortgage. That's about it. I don't do ACH transfers because they can compromise your account. I'll do CC payments usually.

afcjets

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:39 am

johns624 wrote:
    Airstud wrote:

Your FICO score wouldn't be affected until you reached at least 30 days past due and then only if the bank or their algorithm chooses to report it.

Airstud
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:42 am

ACDC8 wrote:
    here in Canada

The correct way to be in Canada is to be in Halifax.

johns624

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:51 am

afcjets wrote:
      johns624 wrote:
      Airstud wrote:

Your FICO score wouldn't be affected until you reached at least 30 days past due and then only if the bank or their algorithm chooses to report it.
      FICO scores are overhyped anyways. All they measure is you're credit to income ratio and whether you pay bills on time. They don't have anything to do with your assets. I haven't had a credit balance in 20+ years but I have high limits on my cards due to longevity so I hover around 798-804. I also have well into 6 figures of liquid assets. I have friends living paycheck to paycheck who, because they pay their bills on time and have lower credit limits, who have higher scores.

johns624

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:54 am

Airstud wrote:
      ACDC8 wrote:
      here in Canada

The correct way to be in Canada is to be in Halifax.
      I really like Halifax, it's just too damn far from anywhere. Not as bad as PEI, which I also like, but still too damn far.

Airstud
      Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:22 am

johns624 wrote:
      afcjets wrote:
        johns624 wrote:

FICO scores are overhyped anyways. All they measure is you're credit to income ratio and whether you pay bills on time. They don't have anything to do with your assets. I haven't had a credit balance in 20+ years but I have high limits on my cards due to longevity so I hover around 798-804. I also have well into 6 figures of liquid assets. I have friends living paycheck to paycheck who, because they pay their bills on time and have lower credit limits, who have higher scores.

FICO scores don't have anything to do with your debt to income ratio either. FICO has no way to know what your income is.

Scores are determined mainly by on-time payment history, utilization ratio, and length of credit history.

Aesma

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:43 am

When I make a check these days the cheque book is so old the paper has started going yellow.

The only one I make (yearly) is to fund my PEE, something akin to a 401K where my employer adds a contribution, so I can't just send it to the fund that manages it, it has to go through HR.

As for credit cards, they're not really a thing, here. What's the point of getting a credit (and pay for it) if you have the cash on hand ?

johns624

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:56 am

Aesma wrote:

As for credit cards, they're not really a thing, here. What's the point of getting a credit (and pay for it) if you have the cash on hand ?
        Huh? You pay the same, whether cash or credit. You pay it off at the end of the month and get miles/points/cash back for free.

jetwet1

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:43 am

Aesma wrote:

Points/miles so you can take a nice vacation ?

Airstud
        Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:04 am

jetwet1 wrote:
        Aesma wrote:

If you like. My AmEx SkyMiles card gives me 1 SkyMile for every dollar I charge to it; extra ones for Delta purchases. Chase Sapphire gives me Chase Ultimate Rewards points; 1 per dollar and more on travel/dining charges.

Chase Freedom Flex and Discover both give 5% cash back on different categories that change each quarter. US Bank cash plus gives you 5% cash back on two categories that you get to choose every quarter. Bank of America Cash Rewards gives 3% cash back on the category of your choice and you can change it monthly, not quarterly.

Lots of upsides to credit cards around here, if you use them wisely.

ChrisKen

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
        Virtual737 wrote:
        Is Mastercard still a thing?

I hope so because Amazon just announced that they'll not be accepting Visa in the UK after 18th January. :o

Just Visa Credit Cards, debt card will continue to be accepted. Supposedly the cards fees Visa charges, nothing whatsoever to do with the amazon branded mastercard they've been trying to flog every time you've checked out for the past decade or so.

LCDFlight

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 pm

johns624 wrote:
        afcjets wrote:
          johns624 wrote:

Although Airstud is correct about income, you are correct that FICO does not give a full picture of financial health.

This is more of a Venn diagram. Financial health on one side, being an excellent bank borrower on the other side. In the middle, there is some overlap. The banks want to know if you will pay them back. That is what FICO means. There can be a FICO 800 of a person with no extra savings in their account, but they always promptly pay their debts. That is all FICO really cares about. A "financial security score" would be completely different.

Drafran

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Airstud wrote:
          fr8mech wrote:
          phatfarmlines wrote:

Yeah postmark dates matter for things like sweepstakes entries (I think it also mattered for college apps back in my day) and for tax returns.

It's never ever mattered for credit card & loan payments; they go by arrival date only.

So...what? This is all about getting your jollies? You get off on the "suspense" of the rush to get your payment in?

Aesma

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:11 pm

johns624 wrote:
          Aesma wrote:
          Huh? You pay the same, whether cash or credit. You pay it off at the end of the month and get miles/points/cash back for free.

I'm sure the vendors where you use your card will agree that it's the same. Or maybe not.

johns624

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Aesma wrote:
          johns624 wrote:
          Aesma wrote:

I'm sure the vendors where you use your card will agree that it's the same. Or maybe not.
          I know that vendors pay about 2% to the credit card companies. I don't care about that. It doesn't affect me. I also know that I pay the same price, whether cash or credit. So why shouldn't I use my CC and get free flights, nights in hotels, etc?
          Last edited by johns624 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fr8mech

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

I did a weekend in Vegas for the wife and I on credit card points.

I bought tickets for the wife and I to Antigua this winter on credit card points.

ACDC8

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:32 pm

johns624 wrote:
          I know that vendors pay about 2% to the credit card companies. I don't care about that. It doesn't affect me. I also know that I pay the same price, whether cash or credit. So why shouldn't I use my CC and get free flights, nights in hotels, etc?

Thats the thing though, the vendor doesn't pay the fee, the customer does because the vendor already factors that fee into the price of their product or service, so if you're paying cash, you're paying for a fee you're not using, so technically, you're loosing money.
          fr8mech wrote:
          I did a weekend in Vegas for the wife and I on credit card points.

I bought tickets for the wife and I to Antigua this winter on credit card points.

Same here. Credit cards can either be a very good financial tool or a very bad financial disaster for people.

fr8mech

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:29 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

Same here. Credit cards can either be a very good financial tool or a very bad financial disaster for people.

I can’t remember the last time I paid interest (carried a balance) on credit card. It’s all about self control.

I get that some folk’s circumstances ‘force’ them to carry a balance, but those same folks need to be evaluating their lifestyle for ways to keep that from happening.

alfa164

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:50 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
          Now, a serious question for those of you who fly a lot: does the old Air Travel Card still exist?

Yes, I does - although it is used mostly by travel agencies and corporate travel departments. UTAP (Universal Air Travel Plan) is popular with them because it charges very low fees (it is actually owned by the airlines) compared to most "consumer" credit cards.

WesternDC6B

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:34 am

alfa164 wrote:
          WesternDC6B wrote:

Yes, I does - although it is used mostly by travel agencies and corporate travel departments. UTAP (Universal Air Travel Plan) is popular with them because it charges very low fees (it is actually owned by the airlines) compared to most "consumer" credit cards.

That is remarkable. I believe it has been around since at least the 1950s.

Airstud
          Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:37 am

See, a few days ago I was approved yes APPROVED for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card from Chase. I had put a rule in place that I wouldn't open any new credit cards that had annual fees, but this 100,000 bonus points promo was too good to pass up.

What's odd is that they opened the account with a $13,000 credit limit. I already have a $19,900 Visa and a $17,200 Mastercard from Chase; they obviously have deemed me creditworthy.

So I went ahead and responded to a mailed pre-approval for this Bank of the West/BNP Paribas Mastercard, and they approved me - for a paltry $3,000.

I wonder if they're a weirdly parsimonious lender, or if they were just nervous that I've opened a lot of cards recently. :boggled: