Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Ghislaine Maxwell Trial

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:47 pm

We should probably get a thread going for the trial of Jeffrey Epstein’s fixer/friend/partner in trafficking crime - Ghislaine Maxwell.

Today they had one of Epstein’s pilots on the stand - he testified that among others, he saw Clinton, Trump, Prince Andrew, Kevin Spacey, Senator George Mitchell, and John Glenn aboard flights, among others.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/30/us/g ... index.html

I was a little surprised by John Glenn...

casinterest

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell Trial

Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:01 pm

Why be surprised? John Glenn was a Senator, and may have been part of the political side rather than the scandalous side. The pilot reported in the article that he saw no illicit activities that he can recall from 20+years ago.

skyservice_330

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:40 pm

One should not be guilty by association, but given the history of some of these men when it comes to women/inappropriate behavior (Trump, Clinton, Spacey, Prince Andrew) you can't help but...wonder. Or at minimum, you can't blame people for wondering - notwithstanding that the article indicates no allegations of wrongdoing (Prince Andrew excluded I suppose).

As for Maxwell - I struggle to believe she had no idea. If we are to believe Epstein did the things he is accused of doing, and if we are to believe they were as close as everyone suggested they were - it is hard to believe that she wasn't somehow involved/complicit... or willfully ignorant / turned her head away so she had some degree of deniability while knowing what was going on.

Time will tell...

NIKV69

Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
Why be surprised? John Glenn was a Senator, and may have been part of the political side rather than the scandalous side. The pilot reported in the article that he saw no illicit activities that he can recall from 20+years ago.

How could he? Epstein wasn't that stupid. As for Maxwell It seems she was grooming these girls. I will wait for the evidence but it sure seems that way.

johns624

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 pm

I still don't understand how she thought that she could hide at an estate in New Hampshire. Was she that stupid?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 pm

johns624 wrote:
I still don't understand how she thought that she could hide at an estate in New Hampshire. Was she that stupid?

She thought between JE payoffs and JE being dead she would be okay...

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:53 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
One should not be guilty by association, but given the history of some of these men when it comes to women/inappropriate behavior (Trump, Clinton, Spacey, Prince Andrew) you can't help but...wonder. Or at minimum, you can't blame people for wondering - notwithstanding that the article indicates no allegations of wrongdoing (Prince Andrew excluded I suppose).

As for Maxwell - I struggle to believe she had no idea. If we are to believe Epstein did the things he is accused of doing, and if we are to believe they were as close as everyone suggested they were - it is hard to believe that she wasn't somehow involved/complicit... or willfully ignorant / turned her head away so she had some degree of deniability while knowing what was going on.

Time will tell...

Her claims are ridiculous, especially with multiple victims saying she not only recruited them, she sometimes joined in on molesting them.

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:09 pm

While I have no doubt that girls were recruited for Epstein, I wonder how many of them were forced? That photo of Prince Andrew with his arm around a beaming Virginia Giuffre's waist doesn't exactly paint a picture of abuse or trauma.

art

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:42 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
We should probably get a thread going for the trial of Jeffrey Epstein’s fixer/friend/partner in trafficking crime - Ghislaine Maxwell.

That was a quick trial. Last thing I heard was that Maxwell was on trial - but had not been convicted of anything criminal.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:42 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ghislaine- ... y-epstein/

Oh, but she was just under Jeff's spell or whatever...

NIKV69

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
While I have no doubt that girls were recruited for Epstein, I wonder how many of them were forced? That photo of Prince Andrew with his arm around a beaming Virginia Giuffre's waist doesn't exactly paint a picture of abuse or trauma.

Grooming is not about a short term forcible thing. It's much more sinister.

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-is-child- ... /grooming/

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Of course grooming exists, and it is sinister. I just wonder if Ms Giuffre has been truthful in her testimony. She claims that her encounter with Andrew made her "sick". You would't get that impression the way she has her hand around him in that infamous pic:

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Of course grooming exists, and it is sinister. I just wonder if Ms Giuffre has been truthful in her testimony. She claims that her encounter with Andrew made her "sick". You would't get that impression the way she has her hand around him in that infamous pic:

The timing of the photo is everything - you’d have a point if it was post-encounter. Remember regarding this very photo and evening Andrew told the BBC it could be faked and that he was taking his daughter out for pizza at the time :boggled:

https://youtu.be/AKQi3wzNFGQ

NIKV69

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

There was no debate about it's existence that is not debatable. Read up on it. Sometimes grooming fills an emotional need for a child and they don't know what is going on. Grooming is way different that an unwanted sexual advance where a woman can say no and rebuff. I wish these girls could sound the alarm right away but it's not that easy.

M564038

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 am

The shame and guilt stemming from letting one self be fooled in to the situation, be drugged or even at first enjoying themselves some of the time, or feeling involuntary sexual arousal during a rape or unwanted sexual attention is drivers in why victims doesn’t report sexual crimes to the police.

And this is a great example on why that is: She, a very weak part in the situation, in one 1/50 second gave the camera a smile when she had to pose with the son of the queen of england, and that throws her case out, in your opinion?
You find it suspicious? Makes her a potential liar?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:07 am

M564038 wrote:
The shame and guilt stemming from letting one self be fooled in to the situation, be drugged or even at first enjoying themselves some of the time, or feeling involuntary sexual arousal during a rape or unwanted sexual attention is drivers in why victims doesn’t report sexual crimes to the police.

And this is a great example on why that is: She, a very weak part in the situation, in one 1/50 second gave the camera a smile when she had to pose with the son of the queen of england, and that throws her case out, in your opinion?

All true but some people just are not educated on the dark depths of exploitation and manipulation happening around us on the daily. The other element is that abusers can sniff out vulnerability a mile away and generally know who to target without raising too much attention. FFS Maxwell had HS girls in Palm Beach recruiting classmates for ‘massaging’ Epstein.

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 am

Aaron747 wrote:
The timing of the photo is everything - you’d have a point if it was post-encounter. Remember regarding this very photo and evening Andrew told the BBC it could be faked and that he was taking his daughter out for pizza at the time :boggled:

I don't buy for one minute Prince Andrew's version of the story -- from having "no recollection" of the encouter, to the claim of the photo being faked and the "fact" that he doesn't sweat -- the more he says the less I believe him. Ms Giuffre claimed she met him in a nightclub and later went with him to Maxwell's Belgravia residence. So the pic is clearly taken after she met him in the nightclub. I would say most likely at Maxwell's house. So it would have been taken after that first encounter which so disgusted her.

NIKV69 wrote:
Sometimes grooming fills an emotional need for a child and they don't know what is going on. Grooming is way different that an unwanted sexual advance where a woman can say no and rebuff. I wish these girls could sound the alarm right away but it's not that easy.

This was a street-wise kid. She was abused by a 65-year-old man when she was 13. She would have known exactly what was going on.

M564038 wrote:
She, a very weak part in the situation, in one 1/50 second gave the camera a smile when she had to pose with the son of the queen of england, and that throws her case out, in your opinion?

I don't find it suspicious, I find it incriminating. She looks like a kid who's having the time of her life.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:04 am

Braybuddy wrote:
This was a street-wise kid. She was abused by a 65-year-old man when she was 13. She would have known exactly what was going on.

How many years of psychiatry have you practiced to be able to definitively opine on a victim's state of mind?

bennett123

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:31 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I don't buy for one minute Prince Andrew's version of the story -- from having "no recollection" of the encouter, to the claim of the photo being faked and the "fact" that he doesn't sweat -- the more he says the less I believe him. Ms Giuffre claimed she met him in a nightclub and later went with him to Maxwell's Belgravia residence. So the pic is clearly taken after she met him in the nightclub. I would say most likely at Maxwell's house. So it would have been taken after that first encounter which so disgusted her.

NIKV69 wrote:
Sometimes grooming fills an emotional need for a child and they don't know what is going on. Grooming is way different that an unwanted sexual advance where a woman can say no and rebuff. I wish these girls could sound the alarm right away but it's not that easy.

M564038 wrote:
She, a very weak part in the situation, in one 1/50 second gave the camera a smile when she had to pose with the son of the queen of england, and that throws her case out, in your opinion?

I don't find it suspicious, I find it incriminating. She looks like a kid who's having the time of her life.

Doubtless I have met thousands of people at some point.

I do not remember all of them.

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 am

Aaron747 wrote:
How many years of psychiatry have you practiced to be able to definitively opine on a victim's state of mind?

A loaded question for sure. Just because I'm not a pyschiatrist doesn't mean I'm wrong. :D

scbriml

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 am

Braybuddy wrote:
She looks like a kid who's having the time of her life.

It's a really strange parallel universe where being manhandled by Prince Andrew is deemed to be "having the time of one's life". :yuck:

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:02 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

A loaded question for sure. Just because I'm not a pyschiatrist doesn't mean I'm wrong. :D

Passing judgments of a person's experience and character off a moment in a photo, knowing nothing of their mental or chemical influences at the time, does not make one correct either.

art

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

I don't understand how there can be doubt about Prince Andrew being out for a pizza at the time. I am pretty sure that there would have been security attached to him. Just checking the records/asking the security person to confirm would establish (or otherwise) his alibi.

The pizza house concerned is in my ex-home town near the centre. A straight road, well lit with street lighting, shops either side of the pizza house. If he went there he would have been noticed by staff, I think. At least they would have some memory of a children's birthday celebration (I seem to recall it was that). I would think it fairly easy to establish his alibi if he was there.
Last edited by art on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
It's a really strange parallel universe where being manhandled by Prince Andrew is deemed to be "having the time of one's life". :yuck:

Indeed, there is no accounting for taste . . . :vomit:

Aaron747 wrote:
Passing judgments of a person's experience and character off a moment in a photo, knowing nothing of their mental or chemical influences at the time, does not make one correct either.

Very true, but AFAIK there were no allegations of drugs being involved. The pic was apparently taken by Epstein. She alleges she was trafficked by Epstein and Maxwell. If there was anything remotely incriminating for Maxewell, Epstein or the prince, would they really they be that stupid to take (or be in) the pic? If they were, they deserve everything thrown at them, but celebreties do tend to have a strong aversion to bad publicity. Having a pic taken with a trafficked or damaged young girl would be absolute dynamite. She claims she was trafficked between New York, London and the Caribbean for two and a half years. She wasn't kept in chains in a cellar. She could have asked someone, somewhere along the way for help. How many times did she encounter immigration officials?

Sorry, but I just don't buy her story at all.
Last edited by Braybuddy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johns624

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 pm

bennett123 wrote:

How many of them were cute, underage girls that you had sex with?

bpatus297

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Aaron747 wrote:

Very true, but AFAIK there were no allegations of drugs being involved. The pic was apparently taken by Epstein. She alleges she was trafficked by Epstein and Maxwell. If there was anything remotely incriminating for Maxewell, Epstein or the prince, would they really they be that stupid to take (or be in) the pic? If they were, they deserve everything thrown at them, but celebreties do tend to have a strong aversion to bad publicity. Having a pic taken with a trafficked or damaged young girl would be absolute dynamite. She claims she was trafficked between New York, London and the Caribbean for two and a half years. She wasn't kept in chains in a cellar. She could have asked someone, somewhere along the way for help. How many times did she encounter immigration officials?

Human trafficking is a lot different than most people realize.. It is rarely ever done by "keeping (someone) in chains in a cellar". It's a lot closer to the moving between New York, London, and the Caribbean as you described. Do you know how many times the victims are in police custody and still refuse to give up information on their traffickers? It happens more than you know. These people are mentally abused and then manipulated well before any physical abuse occurs. It is hard for the victims to brake the chain of abuse and see what is really happening. Human trafficking is a very very dark world that most people have no idea about.

The picture was taken well before social media. Back then it was reasonable to think a personal picture wouldn't get out into the public if you didn't want it to. On top of that, predators like to have "trophies", so this fits with their mentality.

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 pm

It is ridiculous to think that a single photo, that captures far less than one second of time, accurately depicts someone's physical/emotional/mental state during a particular event.

I see this a lot lately online, and I find it ridiculous every single time.

I mean, I'm sure someone could have taken a photo of me smiling during a funeral, and posted it around the world to show what a heartless, uncaring person I am.

Of course, we know that realistically, people are not uniformly sad and crying during a whole funeral.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Aaron747 wrote:

You don't seem to know much about the Epstein/Maxwell case:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/new ... 268316001/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/jeffre ... TKB4TAJXE/

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:01 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Human trafficking is a lot different than most people realize.. It is rarely ever done by "keeping (someone) in chains in a cellar". It's a lot closer to the moving between New York, London, and the Caribbean as you described. Do you know how many times the victims are in police custody and still refuse to give up information on their traffickers? It happens more than you know. These people are mentally abused and then manipulated well before any physical abuse occurs. It is hard for the victims to brake the chain of abuse and see what is really happening. Human trafficking is a very very dark world that most people have no idea about.

The picture was taken well before social media. Back then it was reasonable to think a personal picture wouldn't get out into the public if you didn't want it to. On top of that, predators like to have "trophies", so this fits with their mentality.

There are also people who live on the margins of society, take whatever opportunity to make money that comes their way (however much they may dislike it), get out and then decide to make even more money out of it. Not all women involved in prostituion are trafficked. It's a perfectly acceptable profession for some. The pic was taken in 2001, was apparently processed in Boots (more than likely analogue, given the time). Who, in their right mind, would send incriminating photos to be processed? Unless she stole the pic, it was given voluntarily to her by whoever had posession of it.

Aaron747 wrote:

I've read enough, and watched one documentary, to know that Epstein was a paedophile and unsavory character, to say the least. I'm not arguing his case at all, nor would I.

bpatus297

Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

There are also people who live on the margins of society, take whatever opportunity to make money that comes their way (however much they may dislike it), get out and then decide to make even more money out of it. Not all women involved in prostituion are trafficked. It's a perfectly acceptable profession for some. The pic was taken in 2001, was apparently processed in Boots (more than likely analogue, given the time). Who, in their right mind, would send incriminating photos to be processed? Unless she stole the pic, it was given voluntarily to her by whoever had posession of it.

Aaron747 wrote:

I've read enough, and watched one documentary, to know that Epstein was a paedophile and unsavory character, to say the least. I'm not arguing his case at all, nor would I.
\

We are not debating prostitution, we are talking about human trafficking. Yes I know that there are people who will do basically anything for money, what does that have to do with predators mentally abusing and manipulating victims into doing things they really don't want?

johns624

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:05 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Who, in their right mind, would send incriminating photos to be processed? Unless she stole the pic, it was given voluntarily to her by whoever had posession of it.
Somebody who was so important, powerful and famous that they thought that they were above the law?

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
We are not debating prostitution, we are talking about human trafficking. Yes I know that there are people who will do basically anything for money, what does that have to do with predators mentally abusing and manipulating victims into doing things they really don't want?

I believe Ms Giuffre knew exactly what she was doing, and did it voluntarily. She even described it as a "necessary evil" to get away from a life of abuse -- and lead a normal life:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-e ... ls-for-him

bpatus297

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I believe Ms Giuffre knew exactly what she was doing, and did it voluntarily. She even described it as a "necessary evil" to get away from a life of abuse -- and lead a normal life:

Okay, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

johns624

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

She was also 16 when this first started. She had no marketable skills or other choices. Ever heard the phrase "between a rock and a hard place"?

bpatus297

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:05 pm

johns624 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

She was also 16 when this first started. She had no marketable skills or other choices. Ever heard the phrase "between a rock and a hard place"?

Or statutory rape?

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:11 pm

johns624 wrote:

A lot of people don't have marketable skills or choices, yet manage to survive without getting involved in the sex trade! She was working as a spa attendant and interested in massage when she was approached by Maxwell. She exploited the situation to the max -- IMHO -- until she decided she wanted out. It wouldn't be difficult for a runaway teenager to get easily swept away by the offer of a glamorous lifestyle, even if she had to do things she didn't particularly like, but not dislike enough to say no.

CitizenJustin

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:23 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:

Time will tell...

Struggle to believe she had no idea? One of the key witnesses says she participated in the abuse. She’d remove her clothing in front of these young girls and so on. She’s not innocent.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:44 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
johns624 wrote:

A lot of people don't have marketable skills or choices, yet manage to survive without getting involved in the sex trade! She was working as a spa attendant and interested in massage when she was approached by Maxwell. She exploited the situation to the max -- IMHO -- until she decided she wanted out. It wouldn't be difficult for a runaway teenager to get easily swept away by the offer of a glamorous lifestyle, even if she had to do things she didn't particularly like, but not dislike enough to say no.

Everything you describe can be part of grooming. ‘Things she didn’t particularly like’ are explained away by manipulators like Maxwell as ‘oh it’s not so bad’ or ‘you’ll get used to it’ or ‘it’s not like you have to do this all day/every day’. Sick stuff to make excuses for.

bennett123

Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:49 am

johns624 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

You are sort of assuming that he DID have sex with her.

Braybuddy

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Everything you describe can be part of grooming. ‘Things she didn’t particularly like’ are explained away by manipulators like Maxwell as ‘oh it’s not so bad’ or ‘you’ll get used to it’ or ‘it’s not like you have to do this all day/every day’. Sick stuff to make excuses for.

I'm not making excuses for Epstein or Maxwell. I just don't believe that she was as unwilling as she claims. She's no fool.

bpatus297

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:

Time will tell...

Struggle to believe she had no idea? One of the key witnesses says she participated in the abuse. She’d remove her clothing in front of these young girls and so on. She’s not innocent.

Agreed.

bpatus297

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:34 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I'm not making excuses for Epstein or Maxwell. I just don't believe that she was as unwilling as she claims. She's no fool.

That's an interesting comment to make with what I assume (dangerous, I know) is the very little you know about her.

johns624

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm

bennett123 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

You are sort of assuming that he DID have sex with her.
Well, he was called Randy Andy. There must've been a reason for it.

Braybuddy

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:58 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
That's an interesting comment to make with what I assume (dangerous, I know) is the very little you know about her.

Well, she hasn't done herself any favours:
https://www.independent.ie/world-news/n ... 83493.html

"Records, witnesses and photos back up many parts of Ms Giuffre’s account of her time with Epstein, the financier who died by suicide in 2019 while jailed ahead of his own sex trafficking trial. But Ms Giuffre has acknowledged getting key details wrong in her story over the years, including initially falsely saying in a lawsuit that she had been 15 when Epstein began to abuse her."

casinterest

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Maxwell has been found Guilty

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/29/us/ghisl ... index.html

A jury in a New York federal court has found Ghislaine Maxwell guilty on five of six counts related to her role in Jeffrey Epstein's sexual abuse of minor girls between 1994 and 2004.

Maxwell, 60, was found guilty of five federal charges: sex trafficking of a minor, transporting a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity and three related counts of conspiracy.
She was acquitted on the charge of enticing a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts.
Maxwell faces up to 65 years in prison.

I wonder if more investigations or trials will proceed from this point?

NIKV69

Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:12 pm

casinterest wrote:

A jury in a New York federal court has found Ghislaine Maxwell guilty on five of six counts related to her role in Jeffrey Epstein's sexual abuse of minor girls between 1994 and 2004.

Maxwell, 60, was found guilty of five federal charges: sex trafficking of a minor, transporting a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity and three related counts of conspiracy.
She was acquitted on the charge of enticing a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts.

She may have grounds for appeal. Their deliberations were going nowhere and then the judge told them they weren't leaving and would deliberate every day including the holiday until they had a verdict and all of a sudden they had a verdict. Ugh.

Otherwise I feel she is guilty but she let herself get dragged into this. She has nobody to blame but herself.

johns624

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 am

casinterest wrote:

I doubt it. For the same reasons that not too much was done about Epstein's suicide. Too many powerful people on both sides of the aisle were "friends" of him.

LCDFlight

Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:08 am

casinterest wrote:

Why not? Sex trafficking is one of those things that has no beginning and no end. As long as there is political will to investigate it.

Epstein wasn't the only guy doing this stuff. It is just rare that high status men go to jail for it.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:54 am

NIKV69 wrote:
She may have grounds for appeal. Their deliberations were going nowhere and then the judge told them they weren't leaving and would deliberate every day including the holiday until they had a verdict and all of a sudden they had a verdict. Ugh.

Her lawyer said they were filing an appeal. If the appeal is not successful, Maxwell may decide to put away any pretense of innocence, and then NAME NAMES, whether she then has a DEAL or NO DEAL.

Now that would be interesting...

The Secret Intelligence Services of several countries would take interest in this. But she'll be "safe" in a US Federal Prison...

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:09 am

johns624 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

If Andy slept with her in the UK she was not underage at the time, 16 is the UK legal age of consent.