Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phluser
Topic Author

Dr. Oz PA Senate Run

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:20 am

It's in the news that Oz is running for Senate.

What's strange to me is that he is running in PA:
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/penns ... 11202.html

If he wanted to run now, why not in Ohio? According to wikipedia, he was born in Cleveland and educated there in his early years. Plus, it's redder politically, which will help him. I realize that Ohio has a Republican governor and maybe his gripe is with the Democrats. But it seems like his gripe is more with Democrats at the national level, but it remains unclear.

If he waited two more years, he could challenge Bob Menendez in NJ. I don't think Menendez is all that popular. NJ had a harsh lockdown in 2020, but PA was less harsh and he wasn't even there. I remember badly wanting to get a haircut and when OH and MD (with R governors) permitted salons to be open, then Delaware and then PA and NJ. Governor Wolf also opened up PA in phases with the west side of the state opening up earlier.

PA seems like an odd choice, even if its drive-able to NJ and DC. It's a swing state and he's not from it, which will make it a challenging run. His star power will make it difficult for PA Republicans to primary for the seat as well. I also wonder if he will request Trump to stump with him, which could backfire as it did in Georgia. If he wanted a less risky way to get to the Senate, OH, AL or one of the red states with a retiring Senator would be a lot easier.

Aaron747

Re: Dr. Oz PA Senate Run

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 am

There are also questions of legality in his registration - as he registered to vote in PA last year using an in-law's address. His residence is NJ.

johns624

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:42 am

Maybe he doesn't really want to win, he just wants more facetime? He'd take a big cut in pay to be a senator.

Newark727

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:47 am

johns624 wrote:
Maybe he doesn't really want to win, he just wants more facetime? He'd take a big cut in pay to be a senator.

The problem with running when you don't actually want to win is that sometimes you win anyway.

johns624

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:59 am

Newark727 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

The problem with running when you don't actually want to win is that sometimes you win anyway.
Yeah, I remember that happening a few years ago... :banghead:

phluser
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:01 am

I'm also not sure what are his covid positions, and if he will be consistent with Rand Paul.

Dr. Oz appears to be pro vaccine but maybe not vaccine mandate but it's unclear. Does his show require the audience to be vaccinated or masked?

Rand Paul is full on anti-mask but takes a nuanced position towards vaccine encouragement.

Nonetheless, the few that I know that refuse to get the vaccine (because of vaccine injury risks) were actually fine wearing a mask and believed in it helped to some extent. I feel that isn't represented by Rand Paul even though he represents the anti Biden administration/ Fauci point of view currently in Congress.

bpatus297

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 pm

phluser wrote:
I'm also not sure what are his covid positions, and if he will be consistent with Rand Paul.

Dr. Oz appears to be pro vaccine but maybe not vaccine mandate but it's unclear. Does his show require the audience to be vaccinated or masked?

Rand Paul is full on anti-mask but takes a nuanced position towards vaccine encouragement.

Nonetheless, the few that I know that refuse to get the vaccine (because of vaccine injury risks) were actually fine wearing a mask and believed in it helped to some extent. I feel that isn't represented by Rand Paul even though he represents the anti Biden administration/ Fauci point of view currently in Congress.

I'm not sure the policy on his show's stance about vaccines will be indicative of his views, that is probably set by the studio.

seb146

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:05 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
phluser wrote:

I'm not sure the policy on his show's stance about vaccines will be indicative of his views, that is probably set by the studio.

I am sure he could find a studio that aligns with his views on vaccines.

bpatus297

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 pm

seb146 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
phluser wrote:

I am sure he could find a studio that aligns with his views on vaccines.

Umm, pretty sure he signed contracts with his studio. Is not like he can just up and change studios.

CitizenJustin

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:58 am

He doesn’t have a gripe. He just realizes that being a grifter and conmen are highly paid positions on the right. New ones pop up every day it seems. He’s following what Trump said in the 90’s and that’s to run as a Republican because they’ll literally believe anything. Utter the right key words, hate the right people, demonize the right minorities, project all your failures onto the left and you’re as good as gold.