Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Chris Cuomo's Termination From CNN

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:14 pm

I have seen quite a bit of hand-wringing and confusion from friends and relatives over Cuomo's firing from CNN, but it seems people are complicating the situation and allowing themselves to be confused. The long and short of it from CNN:

"Chris Cuomo was suspended earlier this week pending further evaluation of new information that came to light about his involvement with his brother's defense," read a statement from the cable news network, which announced the news on Saturday. "We retained a respected law firm to conduct the review, and have terminated him, effective immediately. While in the process of review, additional information has come to light. Despite the termination, we will investigate as appropriate."

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/04/10615461 ... ons-andrew

This is a very cut-and-dry case from an HR perspective. Cuomo misrepresented his actions to his employer: they found out there was more to the story via an official state investigation, and now he's out due to reputational harm. Any properly-run organization would do the same.

More broadly, I understand why some feel this way, but it's illogical to say this is a setback against the right winning the gutter wars and 'their guys get away with it'. That doesn't matter here. Cuomo was in a difficult spot, but ultimately he made the wrong ethical choice. Let's not forget that after there were multiple credible accusations against his brother, he used his connections to help his brother's staff in attempts to discredit accusers. At least that's what the NY AG's office found...and that's bad enough. I get that it's natural to defend family members, and there's the whole stereotypical Italian thing, but I just can't imagine going to bat for a relative after it has become clear they were in the wrong, especially in a public position of trust.

ltbewr

Re: Chris Cuomo's Termination From CNN

Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:47 pm

He should have been fired over a year ago for helping to cover up then the accusations of his brother's sexual harassment as well as very early in the pandemic able to make a huge 'jump in line' to get then scare Covid-19 testing access and processing of the test in a day, not weeks. One has to wonder if Chris has his own sexual harassment issues with his female co-workers or did other unethical acts. He was also getting $2.5 Million a year, ratings for his show were in decline over the last year as disclosures of his part in helping his brother came out and just general decline in most news-opinion show leaders like him. Perhaps his contract was up soon, CNN had an 'easy' out at minimal costs and avoid collateral damage. I would suggest that there is a lot more to his firing than just unethical acts for his brother.

stratosphere

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Kind of surprising considering CNN allowed the zoom whacker Jeffery Toobin back into the family. Toobin for sure would be a terminating offense at any other company. I guess the heat got to be too much for CNN. They had to take Fredo out for that boat ride after all..

Dogman

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:33 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Kind of surprising considering CNN allowed the zoom whacker Jeffery Toobin back into the family. Toobin for sure would be a terminating offense at any other company. I guess the heat got to be too much for CNN. They had to take Fredo out for that boat ride after all..

Why this is surprising? Toobin did not abuse his position, just embarrassed himself. No one else got hurt, just some people now may be reluctant to shake his hand.

seb146

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:38 pm

I think this speaks volumes about the character of "left leaning" media outlets vs. "right leaning" media outlets. Look at the reaction of the base of both, also. No one is really upset and making demands that he be reinstated. No cries of "cancel culture" from the base. I think it is interesting, anyway.

aerosreenivas

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:47 pm

I heard this shocking news while watching 'CNN Newsroom with Paula Newton' this morning.

I enjoyed watching Chris Coumo Prime Time program everyday. His style of asking questions were great.

My favourite episode of the Prime Time show was the way Chris Coumo cornered 'Rudy Juliani' on the issue of 'The Phone Conversation' with the former President Trump and with the Ukrainian President Zelensky.

But what I am going to really miss about Chris Coumo is the way he ends his program with the introduction of Don Lemon Tonight program and the wonderful conversation he and his best friend D Lemon has.

I'm going to miss Chris Coumo big time. CNN is never going to be the same again. I wonder who the next big personality going to fill in his shoes.

John King? Or John Bermen? John Avalon? Or Smerconish, Maybe Brian Stelter or Anderson Cooper even with the extended hour of AC360.

jmdc861

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:20 pm

Is Chris Cuomo's firing in fact an opportunity for MSNBC ? They have their "Rachel" problem with her wanting to revert to a once a week format would Chris in fact be the perfect one to replace her with on that 9 pm time slot ? Would NBC have the ------ to hire Chris at some point ?

fr8mech

Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:47 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
I have seen quite a bit of hand-wringing and confusion from friends and relatives over Cuomo's firing

Really? I didn’t give it a second thought, because I don’t care about these talking heads. Not one bit. Don’t care about any of them. The guy abused his position and misrepresented himself to his employer? Gone. Move on.

I can’t imagine any of my left-leaning relatives/friends going through any “hand-wringing and confusion” over this. You know who has “hand-wringing and confusion” over a case like this? The intellectually dishonest. Those that out ideology and politics ahead of morality, integrity and honesty. They’re the folks that have a problem or come conflict over this.

EstherLouise

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Chris Cuomo was told in a private meeting months ago with the CNN bigshots not to get involved in his brother's mess... or else. Well, the "or else" happened.

Ken777

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:48 pm

While it's not surprising that he was fired I keep trying to remember is comments when the s**t initially hit the fan for his brother. Chris raised the issue in a limited manner, saying that he would avoid presenting the case in order to avoid journalistic conflict. I don't watch the guy much, but have never seen him break that commitment,

Chris has also made a statement that will cement his relationship with many viewers: "Family comes first and the job comes second."

As for a replacement, I like Jim Acosta. I've sen him do battle in the WH press conferences and he was vigorous and intelligent - a combination perfect for scaring more than a few on the hard right. Not that nice at times for the dems either.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:28 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
I have seen quite a bit of hand-wringing and confusion from friends and relatives over Cuomo's firing

Really? I didn’t give it a second thought, because I don’t care about these talking heads. Not one bit. Don’t care about any of them. The guy abused his position and misrepresented himself to his employer? Gone. Move on.

I can’t imagine any of my left-leaning relatives/friends going through any “hand-wringing and confusion” over this. You know who has “hand-wringing and confusion” over a case like this? The intellectually dishonest. Those that out ideology and politics ahead of morality, integrity and honesty. They’re the folks that have a problem or come conflict over this.

Several conversations going on this on my FB feed as we speak. It’s not that they are all intellectually dishonest - some just have not been fully up on the story.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 pm

stratosphere wrote:

Toobin’s ruh-roh was a fireable offense for the employer who’s time it happened on. That wasn’t CNN.

johns624

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:31 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Chris has also made a statement that will cement his relationship with many viewers: "Family comes first and the job comes second."

If that's the case, he should've resigned or taken a leave of absence while he worked on "family business". Actions speak louder than words.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 pm

johns624 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

If that's the case, he should've resigned or taken a leave of absence while he worked on "family business". Actions speak louder than words.

A reasonable suggestion to take LOA but given the nature of employer’s business, if his intent was known I think resignation would be the only practical option.

johns624

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

A reasonable suggestion to take LOA but given the nature of employer’s business, if his intent was known I think resignation would be the only practical option.
I agree. It's just so disingenuous to say that family comes before a job when if that was true, you would've left a year ago and not had to be fired.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:46 am

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

I agree. It's just so disingenuous to say that family comes before a job when if that was true, you would've left a year ago and not had to be fired.

It’s also disingenuous to tout values like family if that includes covering for family members’ criminal conduct. Not in my family...

johns624

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 am

Well, you know those wacky Italians, they have differing definitions of "family"! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:15 am

johns624 wrote:
Well, you know those wacky Italians, they have differing definitions of "family"! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mario Cuomo’s parents were from Campania. :D That region is pretty famous for the families you speak of

Elkadad313

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Toobin’s ruh-roh was a fireable offense for the employer who’s time it happened on. That wasn’t CNN.

Who is what time where what happened on?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:41 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Toobin was fired by The New Yorker because his jerk off incident happened on their time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/je ... m-n1247482

stratosphere

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Doesn't matter. Plenty of people are fired from jobs for conduct they do on their personal time or post something inappropriate on social media. CNN should have cut him loose as well. As long as Zucker is running things over there they will continue to be at the bottom of the ratings heap.

Elkadad313

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Toobin was fired by The New Yorker because his jerk off incident happened on their time.

You didn't parse my sentence correctly.

johns624

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 pm

Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:

That's the way you wrote it.

CitizenJustin

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 pm

stratosphere wrote:

Why? He didn’t do anything you haven’t done. He just got caught.

johns624

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

He did it during work time.

Elkadad313

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 pm

johns624 wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That's the way you wrote it.

I was needling Aaron for it's.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Doesn't matter. Plenty of people are fired from jobs for conduct they do on their personal time or post something inappropriate on social media. CNN should have cut him loose as well. As long as Zucker is running things over there they will continue to be at the bottom of the ratings heap.

Their legal team obviously concluded leaving the audio on during another employer’s call did not do enough reputational harm to violate the employment contract. Not too hard to figure out. A few people heard it, as opposed to the entire general public seeing a social media post.

ltbewr

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:15 am

He has also lost/quit his Sirus XM radio show gig.
Although he denies it, there are accusations of Chris Cuomo behaving improperly with a woman at a party when left ABC to go to CNN. Times change and women are less afraid of speaking out of past harassment. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fired ... uxbndlbing

Virtual737

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:29 am

ltbewr wrote:
Times change and women are less afraid of speaking out of past harassment.g

They are, although I'd like to see the same anonymity given to the accused as is given to the accuser at times in these situations. The accuser may well be a victim of a crime that could potentially destroy their life but that doesn't mean the same should happen to the accused.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:40 am

CNN enabled this from the beginning, he should have never been allowed to do anything related to his brother. It was a conflict. I also find it hilarious that CNN and MSNBC is crucifying Trump for supposedly not isolating and going near people after testing positive for covid19 and yet it was a fact that Chris Cuomo did the exact same thing and it wasn't even covered by the media or addressed by CNN. Again, CNN created and enabled this person. Kind of ironic they fire him.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:54 am

NIKV69 wrote:
CNN enabled this from the beginning, he should have never been allowed to do anything related to his brother. It was a conflict. I also find it hilarious that CNN and MSNBC is crucifying Trump for supposedly not isolating and going near people after testing positive for covid19 and yet it was a fact that Chris Cuomo did the exact same thing and it wasn't even covered by the media or addressed by CNN. Again, CNN created and enabled this person. Kind of ironic they fire him.

It seems you don't understand the details or timelines. CNN did not allow him to have anything to do with his brother's case - he lied and said he wasn't helping him. Then it came out that he had attended a couple meetings with his brother, but he lied to CNN and said it was private and there was no crossover with his journalistic duties. When the NY AG report showed regular text messages between Chris and his brother's staff, and Chris was using sources to get them information, the lies were exposed and axe fell. Pretty simple. You can argue they should have canned him over the meetings, but Legal may have stepped in and said there was a risk of having to pay out his contract...they might have been waiting on the AG to provide something definitive.

skyservice_330

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
CNN enabled this from the beginning, he should have never been allowed to do anything related to his brother. It was a conflict. I also find it hilarious that CNN and MSNBC is crucifying Trump for supposedly not isolating and going near people after testing positive for covid19 and yet it was a fact that Chris Cuomo did the exact same thing and it wasn't even covered by the media or addressed by CNN.

I find it hilarious that you somehow hold the behavior of President of the United States of America - a public figure who can reasonably be held to the highest expectations of doing what is 'right' (notwithstanding the fouling of the office that happened from 2016 to 2020) comparable to the behavior of some mediocre talking head on a B-rate news network.

NIKV69 wrote:
Again, CNN created and enabled this person. Kind of ironic they fire him.

Not ironic at all. A private individual had a private employment relationship with a private company. To the extent they created, enabled or empowered him it was under the auspices of a contract - and they fired him when he lied to them and, presumably, broke the contract. It isn't irony, it's employment-employer relations 101 (hint: don't lie to your employer)

stratosphere

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:07 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

It's easy to get caught when you do it in front of your co workers on a zoom call ...

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

what are you talking about? Chris was quarantined in his basement from his family and did his show from his basement.
You must be living in Trump's alternative reality and believing every word whispered in your ear.

casinterest

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:32 pm

This thread is an amazing highlight on how much the right wing only cares about certain issues when it is politically expedient.
Cuomo is gone from CNN, and that is that.

FlapOperator

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
This thread is an amazing highlight on how much the right wing only cares about certain issues when it is politically expedient.

What issue is that? I would make the counter claim that the Left really only cares or reports about things like gross violation of public trust or media/government conflicts of interest when it supports some other left wing issue.

casinterest

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:56 pm

FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

What issue is that? I would make the counter claim that the Left really only cares or reports about things like gross violation of public trust or media/government conflicts of interest when it supports some other left wing issue.

Nope. All this flap over a reporter, and no cares when a politician does it, highlights the right's hypocrisy.

FlapOperator

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Nope. All this flap over a reporter, and no cares when a politician does it, highlights the right's hypocrisy.

Uh..,I remember when any "credible" report of sexual misconduct was wildly reported of at least two Presidents.

johns624

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:22 pm

While a news personality is nowhere near as important as a national politician, Chris Cuomo is more than a run-of-the-mill "reporter".

casinterest

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm

johns624 wrote:
While a news personality is nowhere near as important as a national politician, Chris Cuomo is more than a run-of-the-mill "reporter".

But he has been reported on. No big deal. He was fired. The only uproar is from right wing pundits who could care less about right wing politicians working to undermine US democracy.

NIKV69

Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
It seems you don't understand the details or timelines. CNN did not allow him to have anything to do with his brother's case - he lied and said he wasn't helping him. Then it came out that he had attended a couple meetings with his brother, but he lied to CNN and said it was private and there was no crossover with his journalistic duties. When the NY AG report showed regular text messages between Chris and his brother's staff, and Chris was using sources to get them information, the lies were exposed and axe fell. Pretty simple. You can argue they should have canned him over the meetings, but Legal may have stepped in and said there was a risk of having to pay out his contract...they might have been waiting on the AG to provide something definitive.

You misunderstood, I meant he should have never covered his brother at all on his network, It's a huge conflict which we saw what could happen when you don't discourage the practice.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
what are you talking about? Chris was quarantined in his basement from his family and did his show from his basement.
You must be living in Trump's alternative reality and believing every word whispered in your ear.

It seems it is you that is living in an alternative reality my friend.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5197 ... antine-put

It is a known fact that he left his house while contagious with Covid19 to check on a property he was involved with in the east end of Long Island. A local resident called him out from a distance and Cuomo went as far to get in his face which was incredible. His emergence from his basement was a stunt.

seb146

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:47 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

You misunderstood, I meant he should have never covered his brother at all on his network, It's a huge conflict which we saw what could happen when you don't discourage the practice.

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

It seems it is you that is living in an alternative reality my friend.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5197 ... antine-put

It is a known fact that he left his house while contagious with Covid19 to check on a property he was involved with in the east end of Long Island. A local resident called him out from a distance and Cuomo went as far to get in his face which was incredible. His emergence from his basement was a stunt.

Which is even worse than having a national debate on the presidential stage after testing positive for covid and meeting with Gold Star Families after testing positive for covid. But we can't make a big deal about him. We can't make a big deal about Republicans doing the same or worse because this one guy is being held accountable for his actions, which are not as bad as many Republicans' actions. Typical of the right...

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:14 am

FlapOperator wrote:
casinterest wrote:
FlapOperator wrote:

Uh..,I remember when any "credible" report of sexual misconduct was wildly reported of at least two Presidents.

Hummm?? 42 and 45...yeah, so?

Virtual737

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:23 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You misunderstood, I meant he should have never covered his brother at all on his network,

Don't often agree with much of what you write, but here you're spot on. CC was easy to like but his on-air sessions with his brother should never have happened. I found them hard to watch.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:31 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You misunderstood, I meant he should have never covered his brother at all on his network,

Don't often agree with much of what you write, but here you're spot on. CC was easy to like but his on-air sessions with his brother should never have happened. I found them hard to watch.

Yep and the conflict of interest was huge, he could have never covered his brother objectively and like we saw as soon as his brother was exposed instead of covering the story he injected himself into the story as far as trying to help him beat the rap. Where if this was Hannity he would be lighting the torches to burn down Fox news. It's so disgusting.

seb146

Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:28 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yep and the conflict of interest was huge, he could have never covered his brother objectively and like we saw as soon as his brother was exposed instead of covering the story he injected himself into the story as far as trying to help him beat the rap. Where if this was Hannity he would be lighting the torches to burn down Fox news. It's so disgusting.

Hannity and Carlson BOTH got their covid shots and boosters. While screaming about freedom from not getting any vaccines at all. No one on the right is cancelling anything. However, the "left" (read: anything out side the MAGA echo chamber) is all for holding our own accountable for their actions. Something the right wing echo chamber will never do. Because "but.. the liberals!!!" Classic misdirection and misinformation from the right. Blame everyone else.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 am

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Hannity and Carlson BOTH got their covid shots and boosters. While screaming about freedom from not getting any vaccines at all. No one on the right is cancelling anything. However, the "left" (read: anything out side the MAGA echo chamber) is all for holding our own accountable for their actions. Something the right wing echo chamber will never do. Because "but.. the liberals!!!" Classic misdirection and misinformation from the right. Blame everyone else.

Okay okay...but this thread is not about Hannity and Carlson.

seb146

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yeah. It is about the "left" holding our own accountable. I was just sayin'

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:12 am

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's not even political...regardless of what others are saying. An employer caught a highly public employee in a major lie and canned him. That's really all it is.

johns624

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's not even political...regardless of what others are saying. An employer caught a highly public employee in a major lie and canned him. That's really all it is.
Some people categorize everything, even the weather, in political terms. I find it amusing, in a really sad way...