Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest
Topic Author

End of an era at Fox News

Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Fox news journalist Chris Wallace is ending his contract at Fox and heading to CNN+. This is an interesting turn, as it will undoubtedly put Fox under the lens while awaiting the replacement announcement. Chris Wallace was the face of credibility for the journalism side of Fox, and it will be interesting to see if his replacement is of the same cloth, or a more "comfortable" personality for the viewers of the channel.

Wallace was willing to call out Trump for his lies. This angered a lot of Fox viewers, and I can't help but wonder if that is why he is no longer at Fox.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/enterta ... 485153001/

“It’s silly,” Wallace, who came to Fox News from ABC in 2003, said of the reaction. “I’m not advocating a point of view. I’m simply trying to act as an umpire and call balls and strikes and, particularly if it’s a factual matter, to say, well that’s just not true. I don’t see that, frankly, as expressing an opinion or commenting.”

It comes down to this, as the great James Fallows wrote in his newsletter “Breaking the News,” “Every time my colleagues in the media shrink from using words like ‘coup’ or ‘lie,’ we undermine democracy.”

Will Fox news be able to resist putting in a "Personality" in place in order to maintain integrity in journalism, even if that is not the popular side of the network?

phatfarmlines

Re: End of an era at Fox News

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:21 pm

I was going to ask when Fox News was going to drop the "Fair and Balanced" tagline, but I see they already did that back in 2017.

casinterest
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
I was going to ask when Fox News was going to drop the "Fair and Balanced" tagline, but I see they already did that back in 2017.

The new one, is Most Watched, Most Trusted. However if you apply that one, then you have to go with the Fox Lawyers viewpoint that those that trust their most watched watched talent (Carlson) are unreasonable people to believe anything said.
It is interesting though that they dropped their old tagline, as it would seem being fair and balanced is not in their best interest anymore.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
Fox news journalist Chris Wallace is ending his contract at Fox and heading to CNN+.

Brian Stelter was spiking the football day yesterday but what I don't get is they didn't even give him a spot in the regular line up? No offense but CNN+ seems like a step backward for Wallace. I also doubt he will be moderating any more debates.

casinterest
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:10 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Fox news journalist Chris Wallace is ending his contract at Fox and heading to CNN+.

Brian Stelter was spiking the football day yesterday but what I don't get is they didn't even give him a spot in the regular line up? No offense but CNN+ seems like a step backward for Wallace. I also doubt he will be moderating any more debates.

I imagine Wallace( who is 74) is looking for something new to define himself on, while at the same time giving CNN a notable name to drive viewership of a product that i myself doubt I will watch.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
I imagine Wallace( who is 74) is looking for something new to define himself on, while at the same time giving CNN a notable name to drive viewership of a product that i myself doubt I will watch.

Wow didn't know he was in his 70s. Or he can be semi retiring. It's plain to see CNN wanted his name but a streaming service? Seems weird.

casinterest
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Wow didn't know he was in his 70s. Or he can be semi retiring. It's plain to see CNN wanted his name but a streaming service? Seems weird.

As the article mentioned, streaming is the future. Cable is the past.

dmg626

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Good to see, maybe he can return some legitimacy to a broken news agency.

casinterest
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:53 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Not thinking that CNN is the one that is broken.

https://theweek.com/fox-news/1007351/2- ... incoherent

When they joined Fox News in 2009, and for most of the next decade, "we were proud to be associated with the network" and believed it was necessary, Hayes and Goldberg explained at The Dispatch. But the decision to air and promote Carlson's dangerous "collection of incoherent conspiracy-mongering" showed them that, despite assurances otherwise, Fox News is not clawing back any of its pre-Trump independence.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:08 pm

casinterest wrote:

I respectfully disagree, streaming may be growing in popularity but from 7-11PM people are on that couch watching TV.

luckyone

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I respectfully disagree, streaming may be growing in popularity but from 7-11PM people are on that couch watching TV.

People under 40 are less likely to be watching cable news networks. A lot of people in my circle do not have cable, me included.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:19 pm

luckyone wrote:
People under 40 are less likely to be watching cable news networks. A lot of people in my circle do not have cable, me included.

Many have "cut the cable" but if you open the CNN app on Apple Tv or such you get CNN regular cable shows and reporting. Again it's weird that they wooed Wallace away and didn't give him something on the regular network front line shows.

dmg626

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:35 pm

casinterest wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

When they joined Fox News in 2009, and for most of the next decade, "we were proud to be associated with the network" and believed it was necessary, Hayes and Goldberg explained at The Dispatch. But the decision to air and promote Carlson's dangerous "collection of incoherent conspiracy-mongering" showed them that, despite assurances otherwise, Fox News is not clawing back any of its pre-Trump independence.

They’re all broken, maybe CNN will get serious about fixing their operation.

Aaron747

Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:52 pm

dmg626 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

They’re all broken, maybe CNN will get serious about fixing their operation.

Broken has layers of severity - a table can be scratched or have a leg missing. Carlson’s wanton stoking of division for ratings and bizarre pro-Putin propaganda is a major stain on the network. CNN has nothing that nefarious.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Most people are doing something other than watching liars on nightly opinionated shows where lies prevail. The demographics are failing for these timeslots and hosts. I still suspect CNN + won't work out well, but that is for another topic.

Check out those younger users.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/742 ... he-us-age/

stl07

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:14 am

I like Wallace. He's basically the antidote to the idiots like Hannity that sprew hate and the talking heads over at CNN

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 pm

stl07 wrote:
I like Wallace. He's basically the antidote to the idiots like Hannity that sprew hate and the talking heads over at CNN

There is really no point in watching any of them. You can actually read transcripts faster, and the online sources will record any notable sound bite for later calculation. Fox news is taking abuse today over the texts on Jan 6 begging Trump to stop the insurrection and riot at the Capitol. This is actually quite revealing as it points to how machine oriented the Fox news online personas are.

luckyone

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:44 pm

casinterest wrote:
stl07 wrote:

There is really no point in watching any of them. You can actually read transcripts faster, and the online sources will record any notable sound bite for later calculation. Fox news is taking abuse today over the texts on Jan 6 begging Trump to stop the insurrection and riot at the Capitol. This is actually quite revealing as it points to how machine oriented the Fox news online personas are.

It doesn't really matter what network one watches. The point of the televised infotainment is to keep you tuned in. You are correct, I can read in about fifteen minutes what would take me at least two hours to watch on television.

11C

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Yes, they should all be more like Fox, then we wouldn’t need journalists anymore, just hyper opinionated blowhards to tell us what to think.

Kno

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I'm 30, and while my sample size is relatively small, out of dozens of friends family members and co-workers I can't name a single one under 40 who still has cable. Many of us grew up with it and had it 10 years ago. Millennials and younger generations view having cable as if it were like having a flip-phone, listening to CD's, or using a fax machine. Meanwhile most boomers I know still use cable. Cable is definitely old school and dying off.

SRQLOT

Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:32 am

Just for the cable part, I cut my cable, 3 months ago it went up to $175 for the basic package with internet. They offered me only 7 local channels for $154, because they already dropped it once a year ago they won’t do it again. So now internet only for $65, and I’ll get one of the streaming services.

As for Wallace, I think he jumped ship before it sinks.