Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

acavpics

Re: The first death from omicron variant reported in U.K as lockdowns back on agenda.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:47 pm

cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
77Phoebe wrote:

Just nonsense. Doing the same thing again, and again, and again. Expecting a different result every time, madness. Covid waves come and go over all countries no matter what their lockdown/ mask/ opening a window status is. Anyway what I or you think is irrelevant people have had enough and moved on.

This is plainly false - there have not been large waves in Japan or Australia due to high uptake and mask protocols. Given Japan’s population density and use of public transportation, you’d expect a situation more like Italy or Germany.

There is a large wave in Australia right at the very moment and mask protocols have been abandoned. Unvaccinated people now also have nearly complete freedoms too. In my state anyhow. The case numbers are increasing rapidly per day.

Important is to stick with measures like wearing masks, appropriate distancing and use check in measures so if there is a positive case then contact tracing can happen easily enough and those contacts can isolate until they are recovered. And use lockdowns if necessary to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed.

Sorry lock-downs don't work. The world was locked down last year at this time. And yet, hospitalizations and deaths were soaaring as well. It is no use to make vaccinated people sit at home.

Wear a mask. Try to avoid huge crowds. Stay home, and get tested if you are ill. Get vaccinated. Take care of yourself. Sorry, but the day and age where locking everyone down is long gone.
Kids need to go to school. People need to meet their friends/families. Businesses need to make money.

Kent350787

Re: The first death from omicron variant reported in U.K as lockdowns back on agenda.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:04 am

acavpics wrote:
cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

This is plainly false - there have not been large waves in Japan or Australia due to high uptake and mask protocols. Given Japan’s population density and use of public transportation, you’d expect a situation more like Italy or Germany.

There is a large wave in Australia right at the very moment and mask protocols have been abandoned. Unvaccinated people now also have nearly complete freedoms too. In my state anyhow. The case numbers are increasing rapidly per day.

Important is to stick with measures like wearing masks, appropriate distancing and use check in measures so if there is a positive case then contact tracing can happen easily enough and those contacts can isolate until they are recovered. And use lockdowns if necessary to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed.

Sorry lock-downs don't work. The world was locked down last year at this time. And yet, hospitalizations and deaths were soaaring as well. It is no use to make vaccinated people sit at home.

Wear a mask. Try to avoid huge crowds. Stay home, and get tested if you are ill. Get vaccinated. Take care of yourself. Sorry, but the day and age where locking everyone down is long gone.
Kids need to go to school. People need to meet their friends/families. Businesses need to make money.

Before Delta strain, lockdowns did work, as amply demonstrated in Australia and New Zealand - but only in the right circumstances. In NSW and Victoria they were also a key part of suppression in the second half of 2021.

I personally think reducing mask mandates was a bad move in NSW given the jump in case numbers, but we are yet to see a direct translation from cases into hospitalisations.

acavpics

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:31 am

Kent350787 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
cpd wrote:

Before Delta strain, lockdowns did work, as amply demonstrated in Australia and New Zealand - but only in the right circumstances. In NSW and Victoria they were also a key part of suppression in the second half of 2021.

I personally think reducing mask mandates was a bad move in NSW given the jump in case numbers, but we are yet to see a direct translation from cases into hospitalisations.

Keep the masks on. I’m saying Just don’t lock us down.

cpd

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:36 am

acavpics wrote:
cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Important is to stick with measures like wearing masks, appropriate distancing and use check in measures so if there is a positive case then contact tracing can happen easily enough and those contacts can isolate until

they are recovered. And use lockdowns if necessary to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed.

We got them to work and got our case numbers down very low and then got out of lockdown. The numbers are out there to back this. Unfortunately we went too far the other direction with a radical leader who has thrown away mark wearing mandates and now check ins are not required all while our cases today went over 2580 for the state of NSW.

It’s ironic also to be lectured on wearing masks by some person in the web who doesn’t know me. Unnecessary and not welcome. I’m sensible and cautious, but I still get about and do what I need to do and enjoy my life.

art

Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:33 am

acavpics wrote:

If there is strong evidence that vaccinated people (a) are less likely to infect others if infected, assuming the same behaviour (b) are less likely to absorb health resources if infected, then why not make any lockdowns apply only to the unvaccinated? In other words, distinguish between lower and higher threat people in a selective lockdown strategy if lockdown is seen as a necessary emergency step to take. Since most people are vaccinated in the richer countries, disruption to the economy and to most people's lives will be less severe.

SQ22

Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 am

Subject of discussion was situation in UK, as this thread went off topic, I kindly ask oyu to continue your discussion, depending on your subject, either here:

COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - Q4 2021

or here:

Covid19 - Vaccine News and discussion thread