Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hashtagconfused

Re: WP: Manchin will not vote for Build Back Better

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:19 am

seb146 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’d say Manchin is pretty good politician, he’s representing his state as the state would want him to vote. He’s popular there, he’s the only state-wide elected Democrat, has been re-elected after being the governor, in a state Trump won 2-1. WV didn’t send him to the Senate to back Chuck Schumer or the “Squad” or Joe Biden. He’s actually a moderate who voted to convict Trump, he’s voted with his party about 62%. Joe’s his own man compared to the sheep on the Hill.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-fact-chec ... b42e28e084

https://projects.propublica.org/represe ... -party/115

Indeed, Senator Manchin is representing his state. If he were to cave I guarantee he would not get reelected, and rightfully so.

This bill would help citizens of his state by providing child care and better paying jobs. So, he and his constituents are against that? Oh, that's right... it would give Biden and Democrats a win and, really, that is more important than improving people's lives...

Is it possible people want those things, but just don't want to achieve them the way outlined in the spending bill?

hashtagconfused

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:21 am

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Interesting. When Democrats stood up for what they believed in, before now, they were called all sorts of nasty names and told how hated we are and how unpatrioitc we are for standing in the way of MAGA and Republican bills. Funny how things change....

I don’t think the mainstream people had any problem with standing against MAGA. Standing against Trump was easy, kind of compulsory in universities. Kind of like chastity was compulsory at universities in the 1950s. Different, but sharing a vein of cultural conformity.

But, here's the thing:

People listened to both sides and did their own research and found MAGA and their dear leader were bad for freedom and bad for the Constitution. Why is that not possible?

Perhaps people have listened to both sides and made their decision on this. Or is that not possible too?

ItnStln

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:46 pm

hashtagconfused wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
Indeed, Senator Manchin is representing his state. If he were to cave I guarantee he would not get reelected, and rightfully so.

This bill would help citizens of his state by providing child care and better paying jobs. So, he and his constituents are against that? Oh, that's right... it would give Biden and Democrats a win and, really, that is more important than improving people's lives...

Is it possible people want those things, but just don't want to achieve them the way outlined in the spending bill?

Indeed, while I am against the majority of the bill the cost doesn't justify the few items in the bill that I want.

ItnStln

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’d say Manchin is pretty good politician, he’s representing his state as the state would want him to vote. He’s popular there, he’s the only state-wide elected Democrat, has been re-elected after being the governor, in a state Trump won 2-1. WV didn’t send him to the Senate to back Chuck Schumer or the “Squad” or Joe Biden. He’s actually a moderate who voted to convict Trump, he’s voted with his party about 62%. Joe’s his own man compared to the sheep on the Hill.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-fact-chec ... b42e28e084

https://projects.propublica.org/represe ... -party/115

Those two items are not worth the cost of the bill. Senator Manchin represented his state, as he was elected to do, and I hope he gets reelected for standing up to his party and representing his state.

seb146

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:03 pm

ItnStln wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Indeed, while I am against the majority of the bill the cost doesn't justify the few items in the bill that I want.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/11/22/b ... t-polling/

About half of all Americans support BBB. That includes voters in West Virginia. Even knowing this would provide child care to a state that really needs it, I doubt the voters of West Virginia would vote against it. Manchin said he wanted various things taken out. They were. The bill was cut from $6 trillion to $2 trillion and is nearly all paid for. Unlike tax cuts for the rich Republicans passed under the previous administration.

bennett123

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:29 pm

So which bits is he still unhappy with?.

DLPMMM
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:24 pm

bennett123 wrote:

I think his major problem is that BBB has the spending over 3 years while the income is spread over 10 years, making the real cost more like $6 trillion over the 10 years and an additional $4 trillion in deficit spending over the period.

Smoke and mirrors accounting.

LCDFlight

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:37 pm

DLPMMM wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

I think his major problem is that BBB has the spending over 3 years while the income is spread over 10 years, making the real cost more like $6 trillion over the 10 years and an additional $4 trillion in deficit spending over the period.

Correct, when people say it is "paid for," it really means that they are either fools, or untrustworthy liars.

I don't even think Joe Manchin is a good person. I think he is a corrupt coal guy. But, he has higher morals than nearly everyone else, because DC is a swamp absolutely filled with white collar criminals.

seb146

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:27 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Correct, when people say it is "paid for," it really means that they are either fools, or untrustworthy liars.

I don't even think Joe Manchin is a good person. I think he is a corrupt coal guy. But, he has higher morals than nearly everyone else, because DC is a swamp absolutely filled with white collar criminals.

So it IS paid for. And taxes will not be raised on those making under $400,000. Money does not just appear, unless you are the military. BBB needs seed money and it will be paid when all is said and done.

LCDFlight

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
DLPMMM wrote:

So it IS paid for. And taxes will not be raised on those making under $400,000. Money does not just appear, unless you are the military. BBB needs seed money and it will be paid when all is said and done.

The point being made is they are counting ten years of revenue (probably rosy projection too) against three years of expenses. At any point in time, it is 30% paid for. The rest (70%) is debt, meaning inflation and interest rate costs, which of course aren’t included either. I don’t know if either side is correct, but at least that is the argument taking place.

seb146

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:34 am

LCDFlight wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

The point being made is they are counting ten years of revenue (probably rosy projection too) against three years of expenses. At any point in time, it is 30% paid for. The rest (70%) is debt, meaning inflation and interest rate costs, which of course aren’t included either. I don’t know if either side is correct, but at least that is the argument taking place.

But giving tax breaks with nothing in return is better? That was the whole premise of the Republican spending plan passed in 2016. Is it better to theoretically have infrastructure paid for or is it better to simply give money away? THAT is the Democrats point.

cairns

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:09 pm

Dead in the water thank God. Your would think Bareshelves Democrats would learn.

NIKV69

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:46 am

cairns wrote:
Dead in the water thank God. Your would think Bareshelves Democrats would learn.

Nope they are going all the way with the radical, extremist members of their party and now not much will get done. Sadly no matter what happens in the mid terms meaningful legislation isn't possible until we get someone different in the white house.

Tugger

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 am

NIKV69 wrote:
cairns wrote:

Nope they are going all the way with the radical, extremist members of their party and now not much will get done. Sadly no matter what happens in the mid terms meaningful legislation isn't possible until we get someone different in the white house.

Not different. Someone who is not bad and is not deified and is not vilified.

And that will mean getting people in the legislature that are willing to compromise and do "back room deals" etc.

Tugg

Aaron747

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:09 am

Tugger wrote:

I am not confident conditions exist for having a POTUS like that again. :shakehead:

NIKV69

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:24 am

Tugger wrote:

And that will mean getting people in the legislature that are willing to compromise and do "back room deals" etc.

Tugg

Aaron747 wrote:

I am not confident conditions exist for having a POTUS like that again. :shakehead:

How a president is treated by the media and other elected officials has nothing to do with whether he or she will sign or not sign a bill or how said person deals with his party when there is infighting and lack of support on a bill. A true leader say like Magaret Thatcher didn't let things like that interfere with being a leader. Also once again I need to remind you that BBB is not dead in the water because of the GOP. Many here are trying to ignore that fact.

Aaron747

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:29 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Aaron747 wrote:

How a president is treated by the media and other elected officials has nothing to do with whether he or she will sign or not sign a bill or how said person deals with his party when there is infighting and lack of support on a bill. A true leader say like Magaret Thatcher didn't let things like that interfere with being a leader. Also once again I need to remind you that BBB is not dead in the water because of the GOP. Many here are trying to ignore that fact.

Deification and vilification do not only occur in the media - they happen within parties and legislatures, as you well know.

You’ll also note Thatcher enjoyed 60% disapproval ratings when leaving office.

pune

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:47 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Aaron747 wrote:

Deification and vilification do not only occur in the media - they happen within parties and legislatures, as you well know.

You’ll also note Thatcher enjoyed 60% disapproval ratings when leaving office.

That is because the policies she did led to deindustrialization in UK and also is in the current Govt. in UK.

https://notesfrombelow.org/article/dein ... nd-decline