Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Elizabeth Warren Tests Positive for COVID-19

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:52 pm

US Senator Elizabeth Warren has tested positive for COVID-19 after appearing in the Senate chamber earlier this week. Warren has been fully vaccinated and boosted and this semester amid the Omicron led COVID-19 surge. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
https://www.kcra.com/article/sen-elizab ... /38561548#

NIKV69

Re: Elizabeth Warren Tests Positive for COVID-19

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:41 am

Being vaccinated and boosted doesn't guarantee you don't get Covid but helps the immune system fight it and prevent the illness from being serious. I wish her the speediest recovery.

sierrakilo44

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:20 am

Like is said on the Greg Kelly thread, are we going to have a thread for every semi significant figure who tests positive for Covid?

At her age the CFR for the unvaccinated is 3%, being double vaccinated reduces that by 94% and being boosted takes that down another 81%. That gives her a 0.03% chance of death.

Part of the “living with Covid” bit is let’s stop making every positive case a major news story.

Sure if she’s in a bad way in hospital on a ventilator that’s newsworthy, or if the positive test is in an unhealthy overweight 74 year old prominent figure who hasn’t gotten any vaccine that’s newsworthy. But the most likely outcome for Liz Warren will be the sniffles and some time at home drinking chicken soup. The promotion of every positive case as if it’s a serious event just contributes to the fear contracting the virus will be just as deadly as March 2020. It isn’t.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:02 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Like is said on the Greg Kelly thread, are we going to have a thread for every semi significant figure who tests positive for Covid?

At her age the CFR for the unvaccinated is 3%, being double vaccinated reduces that by 94% and being boosted takes that down another 81%. That gives her a 0.03% chance of death.

Part of the “living with Covid” bit is let’s stop making every positive case a major news story.

Sure if she’s in a bad way in hospital on a ventilator that’s newsworthy, or if the positive test is in an unhealthy overweight 74 year old prominent figure who hasn’t gotten any vaccine that’s newsworthy. But the most likely outcome for Liz Warren will be the sniffles and some time at home drinking chicken soup. The promotion of every positive case as if it’s a serious event just contributes to the fear contracting the virus will be just as deadly as March 2020. It isn’t.

Any new story they can float to get off Manchin they will.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:20 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Was Colin Powell due to have his booster shot before he died from COVID-19, considering that he was fully vaccinated?

Francoflier

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:52 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

It looks like it...
Since everyone will get it eventually, this may go on for a while.
Media are going to milk shock, fear and panic from Covid for as long as they possibly can, and if it means throwing a few logs in the fire to keep the paranoia flame alive, then so be it.

stratosphere

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:47 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Was Colin Powell due to have his booster shot before he died from COVID-19, considering that he was fully vaccinated?

Colin Powell had his age and co morbidity working against him but then again these vaccines pretty much comically remind me of insurance. You feel confident you're covered until you get hit with a disaster and find out in the end well we don't cover that .

afcjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:03 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

At first I assumed by CFR you meant chances for recovery and was like no way 97% of the unvaccinated elderly people who get covid pass away from it. I see now you mean Case Fatality Rate.

StarAC17

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:47 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

The unfortunate truth that given Powell's age and co-morbidities something was going to get him in the near future. It happened to be Covid but he could have died from the flu just as easily.

Its the sad truth of life.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Francoflier wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

It looks like it...
Media are going to milk shock, fear and panic from Covid for as long as they possibly can, and if it means throwing a few logs in the fire to keep the paranoia flame alive, then so be it.

IMO I think the media's plan was to run with this fear and doom at least until the midterms.

afcjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:33 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

It looks like it...

IMO I think the media's plan was to run with this fear and doom at least until the midterms.

I agree except that doesn't really explain the actions of places like the Netherlands, Australia, etc.

sierrakilo44

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:22 pm

StarAC17 wrote:

The unfortunate truth that given Powell's age and co-morbidities something was going to get him in the near future. It happened to be Covid but he could have died from the flu just as easily.

Its the sad truth of life.

Powell had a cancer that destroyed his white blood cells. His immune system was shot, and that type of cancer has a very low survival rate.

afcjets wrote:

I agree except that doesn't really explain the actions of places like the Netherlands, Australia, etc.

Being afraid of criticism if they didn’t “act quick enough”.

We know Omicron has 10x less ability to penetrate into deep lung tissue, which is what was causing the high death rate with other variants. Already 70% of new US cases are Omicron

I would say every day more evidence comes to hand that Omicron is that variant scientists have been hoping for, one that transmits easily but has very limited ability to cause severe illness.

Aesma

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:55 pm

The problem is that we're in the middle of a Delta wave, so it's difficult to estimate what role Omicron is playing.

bluecrew

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:32 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

I mean... he also had a fairly severe type of blood cancer with a 53% 5 year survival rate.

I survived blood cancer, too, stage 4 Hodgkin's lymphoma, and if COVID had gotten me during chemotherapy or when I had a decreased immune response, I'd expect similar results. I was apoplectic when they described his death as being from COVID... if I had died of an unfortunate cold or flu mid-treatment, I expect it would have been described as a complication of cancer.

The problem with vaccines and immune compromise is that the body never develops the full immune response that the vaccine is going for, and has a fraction of the efficacy as in a normal healthy adult. I hate the way the media covers any of this...

AirKevin

Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:51 pm

afcjets wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

At first I assumed by CFR you meant chances for recovery and was like no way 97% of the unvaccinated elderly people who get covid pass away from it. I see now you mean Case Fatality Rate.

And I was thinking Code of Federal Regulations.

LCDFlight

Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:18 pm

bluecrew wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

I mean... he also had a fairly severe type of blood cancer with a 53% 5 year survival rate.

I survived blood cancer, too, stage 4 Hodgkin's lymphoma, and if COVID had gotten me during chemotherapy or when I had a decreased immune response, I'd expect similar results. I was apoplectic when they described his death as being from COVID... if I had died of an unfortunate cold or flu mid-treatment, I expect it would have been described as a complication of cancer.

The problem with vaccines and immune compromise is that the body never develops the full immune response that the vaccine is going for, and has a fraction of the efficacy as in a normal healthy adult. I hate the way the media covers any of this...

You are hitting on a familiar but important topic. COVID does not "kill" everybody who tests COVID-positive when they die. It relies on a doctor's judgment. But also, we should measure the excess deaths in the country compared to prediction. This tells us how many people COVID killed. But it does not tell us if the COVID virus killed them, or the panic and the lockdowns killed them (for example, by causing them to delay important medical appointments, by harming their diet and exercise, leading to a heart attack, etc). People will never fully resolve the arguments over how many people are dying from COVID the virus.