Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PC12Fan
Topic Author

Beloved John Madden has passed away

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:01 am

Breaking everywhere . . . .

Back in the day, loathed him as a loyal Dolphins fan, but grew to love the man.

Easy on the "BOOMS!" up there though Mr. Madden. :cheerful:

It's been said many times before and it loses feeling with some, but you sir, will be missed.

RIP

hashtagconfused

Re: Beloved John Madden has passed away

Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 am

an absolute legend in many aspects of the game

ER757

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:06 am

Oh man, they just had a documentary on him before the Packers/Browns game Saturday, he was on and looked and sounded okay. The news report said he died unexpectedly, so sad. He was a true legend.

mke717spotter

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:33 am

I just watched FOX's documentary about him the other day so when I saw this news today I immediately thought that the timing wasn't a coincidence. Maybe they knew he was unwell and they wanted to interview him and put it together while he was still around. However, the article on ESPN says he died "unexpectedly." Up until this documentary it seemed like he hadn't done any kind of appearances in forever, so that made me think he might be sick or debilitated, but in the documentary he looked to be doing ok. Honestly, I was also somewhat surprised because I assumed that he would've been well into his 90s by now.

Due to my age (29), I remember his work with Al Michaels more vividly. I do, however, remember the last time he worked with Pat Sumerall. It was Brady's first Super Bowl against St. Louis, and when the Patriots had the ball late in the fourth quarter, he went on a spiel about how they should play it safe and just shoot for overtime. We all know how that ended up. :sarcastic:

NIKV69

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:21 am

ER757 wrote:
Oh man, they just had a documentary on him before the Packers/Browns game Saturday, he was on and looked and sounded okay. The news report said he died unexpectedly, so sad. He was a true legend.

I am glad he lived to see it premiere. A true legend and someone I loved watch and listen call games and do color commentary. RIP.

ltbewr

Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:59 am

John Maddan was a coach of a team the then Oakland Raiders of misfits, crazies, persons who were given up by other teams and made it work including Super Bowl trophies. Madden went on to be a top game commentator, his style copied by many as loved by fans. He was a master of marketing himself and the game. His use of bus to go to games as a broadcaster was very popular but had a sad reason. A college he went to lost its football team in a plane crash, he knew some of the killed players so had a deep fear of flying allegedly from it. His promotion of the truducken, his 'All Madden' award to players.
He got involved early with the first 'official' NFL video games and made a fortune from it.
If there is any dark side of Madden, it may be his calls of 'boom' and others when big hits on players in games, some later becoming against the rules due to physical and possible brain damage they caused.

casinterest

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:55 pm

He was a coach of his time, and a legend in my younger years. There is no doubt he had a large impact on American Football.

I just never got over the fact that he was so afraid of flying that he took a Bus everywhere.

RIP John Madden

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
He was a coach of his time, and a legend in my younger years. There is no doubt he had a large impact on American Football.

I just never got over the fact that he was so afraid of flying that he took a Bus everywhere.

RIP John Madden

From what gather, it was claustrophobia that stopped him from flying. He did get to see America which is prime advantage of surface travel. 80,000 miles a year on a bus.

casinterest

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

RIP John Madden

From what gather, it was claustrophobia that stopped him from flying. He did get to see America which is prime advantage of surface travel. 80,000 miles a year on a bus.

There are advantages to the roadways, no doubt in seeing America, but when you want to get from point A to point B and spend time with family and friends , a few fluffy clouds and a quick trip is hard to beat. ( of course i haven't flown since prepandemic).

johns624

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:52 pm

I always liked him. He had his own schtick, but unlike Bradshaw's, it was genuine. That being said, I thought that he died awhile ago.

LittleFokker

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:05 pm

casinterest wrote:

RIP John Madden

The most probable reason Madden took a bus everywhere was a plane crash involving members of the Cal Poly football team, the school that Madden had just graduated from two years prior, and knew some of the team members who perished in the crash.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/12/29/nfl/164 ... 67781.html

StarAC17

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:59 pm

casinterest wrote:

RIP John Madden

If you watch PTI Tony Kornheiser is very afraid to fly as well. We are all a bunch of aviation crazy people but I think there are many people out there who won't set foot on a plane if they don't have to.

From 1994.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 0a8831cbe/

johns624

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:49 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
[ We are all a bunch of aviation crazy people but I think there are many people out there who won't set foot on a plane if they don't have to.
There's one prolific poster here who is afraid to fly. He let it slip one time. Of course, Non-av is the only section he posts in.

scbriml

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 am

I've been watching NFL in the UK since it started airing live in 1982. IMHO, Madden was by far the best commentator, especially when paired with Pat Summerall.